4 Days of Deadly Violence, Drive-by, Home Invasion, Officer Involved, Murder-Suicide, Mass Shooting

REGIONAL – As news of 17 murdered high school students in a South Florida community spread across the nation, a rash of shootings closer to home claimed the lives of four people in the hours and days following the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

While families in Parkland, Florida were just beginning to grieve over the loss of their loved ones, a 14-year-old boy in Pasco County was gravely injured during a drive-by shooting at a residence on Ridge Crest Drive in Port Richey.

Pasco County Officials say a at approximately 5:55 p.m., an unknown suspect fired multiple rounds into the victim’s vehicle at 6353 Ridge Crest Drive, striking the victim.

The suspect is described as a white male, wearing a blue hat and dark clothing, with a pierced eyebrow and no facial hair. The suspect’s vehicle, pictured below, is described as an older model black Mazda 4DR with no hubcaps and black rims.

Sadly, the young victim succumbed to his injuries last night and died in the arms of his mother at St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital in Tampa.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to contact the Pasco Sheriff’s Office.

Four shootings in Citrus County over the last three days left three people dead – two of an apparent murder-suicide – one during an officer involved shooting. The condition of two other individuals shot in Citrus County is unknown at this time.

During the early morning hours on Thursday, a Citrus County Deputy was forced to shoot 21-year-old William Bryant, after Bryant struck a patrol car and attempted to run over the deputy during a traffic stop.

Officials say Bryant led deputies on a pursuit through Homosassa until he crashed in the area of Stone Gate Court. Bryant was airlifted to bayonet Point Hospital, where he was treated for non-life-threating injuries.

On Friday, a home invasion suspect was shot by the homeowner, after he broke into a residence on W. Berrigan Court in Homosassa.

Citrus County Officials have not commented on the case but according to the homeowner, “Carl,” a male suspect broke into the residence just before midnight on Friday and refused to leave after several verbal commands. Carl says the suspect lunged at him, forcing him to fire one shot into the suspect’s stomach.

Carl tells RNRF that he had no choice but to shoot. “I was the last line of defense between the suspect and my wife who was standing right behind me,” says Carl.

The suspect’s identity and condition is unknown at this time.

No charges are expected to be filed.

Citrus County Officials are reporting a murder-suicide that occurred just before 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, leaving the victim, Erin Cain Prost, 42, and the suspect, Bruce Leonard, 31, dead from gunshot wounds. Prost and Leonard were found in the bedroom of a Homosassa residence.

No further details have been released by officials.

A second deputy-involved shooting occurred around 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, leaving the suspect, 28-year-old Ryan Batchelder dead, after a terrifying rush-hour incident in the area of U.S. 41 and FL 200.

Officials say Batchelder threatened to shoot someone at the Xtreme Games 3 store and was later observed speeding down U.S. 41. towards the store. During the ensuing pursuit, Batchelder pointed a firearm at deputies, and after running a red light at the 41 and 200 Apex, Batchelder rammed his pickup truck into the side of a sheriff’s patrol car, injuring the deputy.

Terrified witnesses say a barrage of bullets hailed down on the suspect’s vehicle, bringing an end to Batchelder’s violent rampage.

Sheriff Mike Prendergast says, “This is a very tragic turn of events, where a man lost his life. We are very thankful that our officers were not seriously injured and that the many citizens who were very close to this extremely dangerous situation did not suffer catastrophic injuries.”

Comments
  • ParentHCCares, I hate to tell you this but you already know they can’t answer that question for you parent by the way you’re all over the place today just knocking them out of the park! Anyway the best answer you might get is something like what what idiot Joe Biden once said on one of the last go-arounds where they were in an all-out effort to get rid of semi-automatic rifles you may recall Joe Biden the idiot who made the idiotic statement well you just open your back door and just point your shotgun in the air and fire off a couple shots! What a retard any responsible gun owner knows that’s flat-out dangerous to shoot a round of any kind up into the air what an asinine statement and what an asinine Joe Biden is but anyway you might get some idiot to give you a similar answer other than that you’re not going to get one but you knew that you knew that already see these people there’s something wrong with them they have a mental disorder or something we’re part of their brain is blocked I’m pretty sure it’s the part of their brain that has the common sense section!

Wednesday, 21 February 2018, 6:11 pm
    • Heard, Lol, TDS (Trump deranged syndrome). I have no issue fighting facts with facts but liberals use emotions as facts. Nothing will ever be solved that way! It is like fighting with a 2 year old. “But I want!!!!” So that makes it right! Not!!!

Thursday, 22 February 2018, 12:48 am
  • I would like to point out that in the one story a man used a gun to defend him and his wife. What would he have done if guns were banned???

Wednesday, 21 February 2018, 2:19 pm
  • Duh and Jade, I believe he was just trying to generally cover all the violent stories and or events that have affected the state of Florida just doing a generalization of how bad the last several weeks or months have been in our state anywho unfortunately none of it is good very sad as a matter of fact

Wednesday, 21 February 2018, 10:55 am
  • why are all of these not separate articles? lazy

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 7:21 am
  • was it too difficult to post multiple articles? it’s like you just crammed everything in one. this is more like a daily newsletter

Monday, 19 February 2018, 6:42 pm
  • David Cowart very well said I concur yes yes indeed AMEN!

Monday, 19 February 2018, 3:15 pm
  • To George and Bethy, SPOT ON! I can’t imagine anyone in this day and age would have the gall or lack of brains to try to enter anyone’s home with the amount of people armed basically signing your death sentence

Monday, 19 February 2018, 3:14 pm
  • Smh, I just Googled and youtubed looking for the definition of sparkling wigets and if what I found is the actual definition good job to you sir or ma’am for calling out just saying I thought we were past this crap This Racist crap, just saying I have often agreed 2 most of your comments and enjoyed reading them I hope you are not a racist of that magnitude I really do

Monday, 19 February 2018, 3:10 pm
  • Slight little correction the person who posted
    ( below) at 6:37 a.m. this morning, using my handle name Surfadude, the only handle name I’ve ever used since I first went on this site, what’s your real Point here idiot you sound like you’re about 12 years old based on what you said in your comment idiot!!!!!

Monday, 19 February 2018, 3:04 pm
  • Oh by the way not to mention at 6:37 a.m. this morning I was looking at the back of my eyelids LOL jackwagon

Monday, 19 February 2018, 2:58 pm
  • Well well looks like I have a ( clone ) ?? Copycat imposter whatever you want to call it etcetera to the person up above who posted using my handle name at 6:37 a.m. this morning why don’t you reveal yourself you freaking coward to the regular readers on the site and Tom mr. Lemons the owner…… that was not me who posted that I just read this article moments ago and noticed it, again why don’t you reveal who you really are mr. Keyboard Warrior???? Immature incorrect and cowardly all I got to say, one more note I do not hate anyone nor am I racist but I can assure you I am not gay! Anyway I believe I Know Who You Are, perhaps the same person that has been posting multiple comments All Over other recent big stories changing your handle name over and over like we’re all stupid let it be known here rnrf readers and commenters that post up above was not by me anyway come on out from behind your little hiding place mr. Coward and let us know who you are ? Immature coward

Monday, 19 February 2018, 2:58 pm
  • OFF TOPIC:
    Regarding website: How do I access older posts?

Monday, 19 February 2018, 9:39 am
      • Back Arrow . . . Thank you.

Monday, 19 February 2018, 2:28 pm
  • Thank god we live in a country where ANYONE can get a gun fairly easily. IF only guns were regulated as much as cars, etc. Yes people kill people, with GUNS they do it much more efficiently. Our soldiers don’t carry Hammers.

Ok, here come the bozos who don’t understand a thing about public safety, have never traveled, that in 1789 we only had muzzle loaders, and that No other country allows general citizens access to firearms.

There is no real gun debate, it’s about how stupid our country can be.

GOP myths for the sheeple: VooDoo econ will help, more guns make you safer, Universal healthcare is “evil”.

With half our country proving yet again how gullible they are for any candidate with a “R” by their name, it seems the amount of stupidity will only increase.

Monday, 19 February 2018, 9:05 am
    • YOU DO KNOW WE HAD A GATLIN GUN THEN RIGHT ??????????????

Monday, 19 February 2018, 1:25 pm
      • Not in1789, that was the civil war. You gun lovers are dumber than potatoes, but your decision makers make money from your stupidity.

Monday, 19 February 2018, 11:59 pm
        • FYI: The Civil War was from 1861 to 1865

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 3:53 pm
    • “in 1789 we only had muzzle loaders”
      So why are you exercising your first amendment right on a computer? Shouldn’t you be using a quill and parchment?

Monday, 19 February 2018, 1:39 pm
      • Do you drive a chariot, times change, stop being ignorant on purpose.

There is no evidence for a gun blazing war zone being safe.

Europe, Canada, Australia have made your fantasy a mute point.

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 12:08 am
    • What kind of drugs are you doing.? Please do not share any of them there is enough stupid people out there already. That makes no sense at all

Monday, 19 February 2018, 4:27 pm
      • Thinkins hard. Common sense isn’t your thing.

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 12:00 am
    • Wow, I can’t even comprehend your lack of actual facts concerning anything in your response. Why not do some actual research before spouting gibberish. And yes guns are more effective than hammers for self defense. That would be why a 80 year old woman can defend herself against a 25year old, 6ft3inch male. Its a good thing she can get a gun to defend herself. Or do you not care about the ederly? “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something”

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 5:22 am
    • Fyi, my response was to “Send Trump And His Sheep To The Mid East, They’d Fit Right In.”

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 5:23 am
      • Lol, your understanding of facts, history, public safety is lacking.

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 3:04 pm
        • I would test my knowledge of facts, history and public safety against yours any day of the week, and you would be put to shame. Challenge accepted. Game mode: Godlike, bring it beotch 😉

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 5:12 pm
    • Wrong Switzerland everyone when they turn 18 has to have a gun thats why Hiltler then Stallan couldnt take that small country they were all armed..

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 12:23 pm
  • So much violence and much of which can and could have been avoided.

Monday, 19 February 2018, 6:43 am
  • I don’t understand why everyone is so angry and mad nowadays, me I’m just a happy dude maybe it’s just cause I’m gay I see things more clearly.

Monday, 19 February 2018, 6:37 am
  • Was it a full moon?? I didn’t notice.
    All I can say is WOW!

Monday, 19 February 2018, 6:10 am
  • Sad to say but, want to act like an idiot, than the shooters will take appropriate action, certainly the courts cant any more.

Monday, 19 February 2018, 4:13 am
  • But remember there is no gun violence in this country– so lets sell more guns and let children have access– I guess even the funeral homes need to make more money

Monday, 19 February 2018, 4:11 am
    • I’m not sure which of the idiots with guns you are talking about, but , i’m guessing they all passed the nations background check. As did i, and i haven’t shot anybody all day. BTW none of them are children. I’m not sure you even had a point. but maybe its just me.
      Had 1 teacher had a gun on their body they could have stopped that Parkland idiot after the first shot. BUT, Alas its a no gun zone, How did that work out for ya.

Monday, 19 February 2018, 4:22 pm
      • If you have ever been to a public range, then idiots with guns isn’t a foreign concept.

But then you engage in fantasy talk instead of what the rest of the world knows works.

The nra and gop have blood on their hands, and fool like you help them get away with it.

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 12:04 am
        • Wow, blood on their hands, really? If you actually studied history you would know that when guns are taken away from citizens, horrendous events unfold! The 2nd Amendment was written so that citizens could protect themselves from a tyrannical government. Citizens were accustomed to guns, they couldn’t just stop at Publix on their way home to pick up a steak for dinner. Would you like the police to not carry guns either? When was the last time someone when on a rampage in a police station? Right, they would not because the police are armed! So why as a citizen do I not have the right to protect myself? Because you think guns are “bad.” Why not instead of letting your emotions cloud your judgement, you take a class given by professionals concerning guns and learn the true facts about how many lives are saved by gun owning citizens. Or, if you think guns are so evil go live in Chicago where they have extremely strict guns laws, oh and extremely high gun violence. Just like drugs are illegal, criminals don’t care about the law…hence criminals!!!

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 4:58 am
          • Facts guide my judgement, preconceived notions and gop myths guide yours.

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 3:06 pm
      • yeah teachers don’t have to do enough already but now have to be shoot someone at any distance after they fire one shot and before they can fire another. i hope you’re also interested in paying them a living wage.

by the way: no guns equals no shootings.

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 7:20 am
        • First of all, teachers choose to be teachers! This country does not force them to TEACH. They accept their wages when they agree to the job. If they wanted a different job then they should get a different job, or are they incapable? Also, if they worked all year like the rest of the country they would have plenty of time to complete all necessary tasks. Most people work 50-60 hours a week all year, they do not have 2+ months off a year. And yes, I taught but left teaching for a higher paying career. And, while I was a teacher, I used all available technology to use my time effectively and I had plenty of time to complete all necessary tasks. Everyone always wants a raise. Please don’t misunderstand, I truly respect those teachers who truly teach and yes they deserve a raise. However, a majority of teachers in a corporate work environment would be fired for complaining and not using their time effectively. I have many family members still in schools in both teaching and administration. Plus, they are not going to force teachers to carry a gun, but allow those who are comfortable, capable and confident with them to carry their personal weapons. Those of us who are familiar and comfortable with guns can shoot repeatedly VERY quickly. Lastly, no guns equals no shootings??? Really, tell that to all the Holocaust victims. Hitler disarmed the Germans before he rounded up his “undesirables” so that they could not defend themselves. Last I checked heroine is illegal but it is still being used. Learn the facts please.

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 5:58 pm
          • honey no guns equals no shootings. that’s basic facts. you can’t shoot someone without a gun. you can hurt them, but not shoot them. have you ever thought that teachers take the job because they want to teach children and be a positive influence on society? that they accept low wages in order to perform a much needed service. they’re heroes and just because you couldn’t cut it doesn’t mean they’re any less than you.

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 8:32 pm
            • First, your grammar is horrendous “honey.” Second, in what utopia could guns not exist? Let’s explore your logic for just a moment. Let’s say you could snap your fingers and pass legislation to ban all guns from the U.S. how many lives would be lost trying to enforce something so ludicrous. Now let’s say you succeeded, how long could you KEEP all criminals from getting guns back into the country. And once they do, and criminals have those guns…God help us all. In the real world guns are a genie that simply cannot be put back into the bottle. Utopian infantile notions such as “no guns no shootings” as it applies to real life are dangerous to the freedoms that we all enjoy. And on the teacher front, most citizens would be tickled about 25+ (base starting pay as much as 95+)dollars an hour as their wages. And heroes don’t complain about their wages. You also must have missed how I stated that teachers who truly care do deserve a raise. Also, I left teaching for a higher paying career, not because I couldn’t “cut” it. I have never stated they are less than me, only that the majority would be fired In a corporate environment for settling for the least amount of work that can be done and still get paid. I speak from first hand experience. Those of us who cared about the students were disgusted with the other teachers who felt it was thier role to parent their students. That is a parents job. My job as a teacher was to TEACH.

Wednesday, 21 February 2018, 1:16 am
    • Areas that have the strictest gun laws also have the highest crime rates! Hence Chicago for example. And, let’s not forget some countries in Europe where yes their gun deaths might be lower, however their rapes, home invasions, and other violent crimes have dramatically increased. If you are a criminal, who would you choose to attack, the weak unprotected citizen or the armed Citizens? Tough choice, nope. Do you leave your house unlocked? Probably not because that increases your risk of being robbed, correct? And, the Parkland shooter was not a child. Lastly, most self respecting gun owners who own guns to protect their children do not let their children play with them. They also teach them gun safety. Also, please see my response below.

Tuesday, 20 February 2018, 5:07 am
  • Locked and loaded…..that’s all I’m saying

Monday, 19 February 2018, 2:17 am
  • Just more sparkling wigetts

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 9:14 pm
    • @just sayin, Do you even KNOW what that term you are using means? You tube it and grow at least one brain cell. Crime bring committed by all colors. PERIOD!

Monday, 19 February 2018, 11:30 am
      • Thought it was stupid criminals. I see it used here all the time pertaining to criminals

Monday, 19 February 2018, 1:41 pm
        • @just sayin, nope, more of a racist thing, check it out unless you are racist. All colors committ crimes. And yes I am white and not racist, have no use for criminals. Of any color.Have a nice day. .

Monday, 19 February 2018, 2:39 pm
          • I had no idea

Monday, 19 February 2018, 8:25 pm
  • God bless our men and women in law enforcement, and first responders. A special prayer for all of you and your families. Watch over them God.

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 9:10 pm