4-year-old Girl Struck by Pickup Truck, Airlifted to Trauma Center

SPRING HILL – The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating an accident involving a 4-year-old girl, after she was struck by a pickup truck on Spring Hill Drive, near Linden Drive (east).

Sources tell RNRF that the child was riding her bicycle on the sidewalk westbound on Spring Hill Drive, when the child accidentally swerved into traffic and was struck by a pickup truck. Before Rescue Personnel arrived on the scene, the child’s father, who was with her at the time of the accident, rushed her back to their home on Algoma Ave. Fire Rescue responded to the residence and transported the child to the airport, where Bayflite airlifted her to St Joseph’s Hospital in Tampa. The child’s condition is unknown at this time.

We will bring more on this story once the Florida Highway Patrol concludes their investigation.

bike-2 bike-3 bike1

Comments
  • Any update on this wee girl Tom?

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 5:17 pm
      • I’ve been wondering. Prayers for her and her family.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 10:53 pm
  • Yes, accidents do happen but as a responsible parent we need to watch our children. Thank God to hear she’s doing well, very upsetting to have heard of a child getting hurt. We have to watch our children, to make sure they do not climb into a gorilla cage or ride a toddler bike into a very busy road. Slow it down out there a bit.

Wednesday, 21 September 2016, 9:25 am
  • My daughter also works with a relative of the family and she was told today that she is recovering and doing ok.. thank god! I’m not sure if she’s still in the hospital or not…

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 11:33 pm
  • My only concern when reading this article and comments were to find out how the little girl is doing. Thankyou, Kelly!
    This was a horrible accident for all involved. The little girl, the father and the driver are all living our worse nighmare! Shame on all the people with negitive comments!! We should all be coming together as a community and helping all involved. Please.. If anyone has a update on the little girls condition please post. Prayers to all.

Tuesday, 20 September 2016, 12:14 pm
  • Do not judge! Straight from the bible! It’s not our place to judge. Leave it to the man up stairs. I’m praying for the little girl and her family! This was an accident I am sure. The little girl I’m sure didn’t mean to go in the road. The guy driving didn’t mean to hit her and I’m sure her father didn’t want her to get hurt. I bet he is going through enough emotionally without the added insult to injury! People think before you post.

Monday, 19 September 2016, 10:43 pm
  • You are right , the judging is just people’s opinions..but opinions should be kept to yourself in some situations.. this man did not intentionally do anything to harm his daughter.. what ever happened to communities coming together to help when tragedies happen? .. I see less of that and more criticism then anything anymore.. thankfully, (I heard ) the little girl is going to be ok…

Monday, 19 September 2016, 6:25 pm
  • Anyone that says anything beyond praying and hoping for recovery of the little girl and her family need their head examined.
    THE END

Monday, 19 September 2016, 4:41 pm
  • What defenders call judging’, is just an opinion. An informed, educated opinion just may HELP people if they can keep an open mind.

Monday, 19 September 2016, 2:00 pm
  • Incredible! A small child gets hurt and look at all the people pointing their fingers at the parents! The readers of RNRF need to get together to enlighten the rest of us on how to be perfect people!

Monday, 19 September 2016, 12:34 pm
  • People saying “don’t judge” are very naive and childish.The fact is,we all judge and are judged by our actions and the decisions we make in life. It’s the way it is,so buckle up buttercups.

Monday, 19 September 2016, 12:31 pm
  • My prayers go out to the family. And to the negative comments how would you react if this was a loved one of your family.. please put yourself in that person’s shoes before you decide to judge.

Monday, 19 September 2016, 11:33 am
  • Funny how many people think their qualified to judge others.
    Amazing how big your balls are on a keyboard.

Monday, 19 September 2016, 11:22 am
  • I seen a child just this morning sitting on the sidewalk waiting for her bus on busy linden.. probably bad parenting huh? Yes the child probably should not have been moved but in that kind of situation most people go into panic mode.. my first reaction would probably be to grab my child and run to the hospital.. .. Apparently this world is overly filled with perfect parents .. as Mary said there are dangers everywhere for children.. parks.. schools.. etc.. unfortunately ACCIDENTS happen every day to even the best people… this man should not be bullied for first spending time with his daughter and second for doing what most of us would be doing by trying to get her help as fast as he could..

Monday, 19 September 2016, 11:15 am
  • the problem with SHD and Mariner blvd, and i’m sure many others, is that there’s NO ROOM for error. you accidentally jump the curb and you’re in someone’s living room. INSTALL SHOULDERS, not “bike lanes”.

Monday, 19 September 2016, 11:05 am
  • My daughter and I drove by and I saw the bike. My heart sank and tears filled my eyes. I pray the little girl recovers. I pray for the person that hit her finds comfort to forgive themself and reach out to the family bc I am sure the person didn’t mean it.

Monday, 19 September 2016, 9:57 am
  • Omg you people are f##ked up,the father was there this was an accident,it says they were on the sidewalk,she was not alone on spring hill dr.she veered off the side walk,it was clearly an accident,once again rnrf bullies that never make mistakes are picking on a parent thats probaly a mess you are all a$$holes with your comments.i guess none ever went to the store with your kids.people are always on the sidewalk accudents happen,thats why they call them accidents,just like most of your birthday,wonder how many of you keyboard warriors would have the balls to see the father face to face and let let out these assine comments.

Monday, 19 September 2016, 9:04 am
  • Heavenly Father, please send your angels to protect this dear child. May her injuries be healed completely. Also Father, please put her father at peace, for you know his heart. In Jesus’ name, Amen

Monday, 19 September 2016, 8:42 am
  • Westcoast…my sentiments exactly.

Monday, 19 September 2016, 7:11 am
  • EXACTLY my point MalibuMom…valuable time was lost in getting her medical help, and she STILL should not have been moved. Not knowing if she had any broken bones, or a broken neck, lungs could be punctured or her spinal cord could have been severed by picking her up to ‘carry her’ home. And those could have cost her her life. Moving her like that can make a bad situation even worse. THAT is my point…insanity at best here.

Monday, 19 September 2016, 7:08 am
  • This father is the Michael Phelps of appalling decision making!

Monday, 19 September 2016, 5:20 am
  • OMG that little girl .. prayers for her and her family !! Goodjob dad of the little one! I truly fink this is The first sad/but only story tragic but the parent was there or around.. thing happen and I am so sorry I’m glad someone around to get her help. Prayers for family and her and good job dad being there!

Monday, 19 September 2016, 1:02 am
  • Mary that’s wonderful you stopped, but why wouldn’t anyone in their right mind rush her to the hospital instead of wasting precious and possibly critical timing for treatment of her injuries? It just doesn’t sound like common sense came into play from beginning of how it happened in the first place to end where measures weren’t taken to get her help immediately…

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 11:49 pm
  • Prayers for the family and the driver. And it honestly hurts me to see all the judgemental comments on here. None of us know the whole story so shouldnt judge. And yes spring hill drive is a horrible street but bashing a parent for being on the sidewalk with their child is just rude. Maybe she shouldnt have been on her bike but who are we to judge? All those saying they shouldnt have been on the sidewalk, do you feel the same way about a parent pushing their child in a stroller or pulling them in a wagon? Its sad to see all the negativity on here.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 10:04 pm
  • First of all and most importantly prayers for the little girl and her family.. also Danny, you took the words right out of my mouth, I’ve lived in Spring Hill for over 30 years and your lucky to even find a sidewalk! Side streets and neighborhoods are just as dangerous as springhill drive.. as I said most of the neighborhoods don’t even have sidewalks , maybe this little girls father thought she’d be safer riding on a side walk.. which happened to be on Spring Hill drive rather then in the neighborhood which have no sidewalks. .. I honestly don’t see any wrong doing on the fathers part.. And I seriously doubt he picked her up and ran from the scene because he was hiding something! .. I know if it were my child i would have been so upset I would have probably done the same thing….. when your child is hurt most of us go into panic mode and try to get help as fast as possible.. it just so happens to be my best friend and her husband who were there and drove them to his house.. the only thing on anyone’s mind at the time was getting that little girl medical help.. h Alot of people here need to stop the judgmental b.s. , it seems everyone now a days claims to be so perfect.. ACCIDENTS aren’t considered accidents anymore.. it’s automaticly a neglectful parent.. HE WAS OUTSIDE PLAYING WITH HIS CHILD! She was on a sidewalk.. and it was a terrible ACCIDENT!

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 9:50 pm
    • well said Kelly

Monday, 19 September 2016, 12:34 pm
  • Prayers Baby Girl! Common Sense Dad Next Time!!!!!!!!!!!! Spring Hill dr? REALLY

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 9:05 pm
  • MARY COLUMBUS = Very very well said!!!!! Thank you. Yes I do have children and grandchildren, accidents happen. Prayers for all, you too Mary, a good Samaritan, . You are

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 8:46 pm
  • I live right there on Linden by Spring hill drive. No one does the speed limit on either of those roads. I was walking my dog in my yard and people go nearly 60 miles an hour at night. There ahold be no children riding there bikes on either road. Way too dangerous…

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 8:02 pm
  • Sending prayers baby girl

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 7:59 pm
  • Someone lost their Jordans next to the bike as well

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 7:52 pm
  • When something happens like this…………………….there is no need for ANY COMMENTS good or bad, it should be prayers for the little girl. Praying she will be ok.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 7:39 pm
  • Could it simply be that the father who moved his child was frantic and not thinking properly, nothing sketchy, just FEAR for his child ?? I choose to believe that until proven differently. As far as the bikes lanes, look at them on us 19, we call them suicide bike lanes, whoever designed that had to be an idiot and probably paid way too much. Prayers for all involved .

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 7:23 pm
  • Who the heck lets their 4 year old child ride a bike on Spring Hill Drive? I don’t let my 16 and 15 walk on Spring Hill yet alone a 4yo riding a bike.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 7:02 pm
  • Prayers to the girl and family

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 6:48 pm
  • Were any of you judge mental, you’re the perfect parents there? No, you were not there. Here is this man who I have never met in my life jump in my car with his innocent baby in his arms before I 100% knew what just happened with blood pouring from one of her ears. At that very moment all this Father was thinking is getting his baby girl help. All I wanted was to help this little girl every way possible.
    Even one of the EMT drivers said we did a very nice thing. The deputy who came to resident of the Father found no fault in what we did for this child and Father. But there is probably nothing 100 pages of typing could ever make you understand the stress of the situation for this Father and little girl.
    Everyone knows who is a parent it only takes a split second for an accident to happen.
    If you want to judge…keep your children in a bubble. That is if you have children. Do not take them to a park. Perverts hang out in parks. If you do take them to the park, Do not not allow them on the swing, slide, or climbing bars. They might get hurt. Do not send them to school , they might get bullied. As a matter of fact NEVER ALLOW THEM TO LEAVE THE HOUSE! Yeah right……
    By the way….No story missing.
    Everyone always wanting to point fingers. Finding fault in second hand stories they know nothing about!!!!!

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 6:36 pm
  • why run away from the driver and witnesses? Fight or flight response?

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 6:29 pm
  • But people are in such a hurry that can’t even see a child in the road ,much less an wrec truck working on power lines this morning with cones ,fire trucks in the roads, they fly by or see how close they can come when they pass. yes you are doing the speed limit then
    It’s a mean cruel world out there
    Like a poster said before
    A turtle in road traffic stops
    A driver breaks down its horns and fingers
    Prayers to the girl and her family

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 5:32 pm
  • why would you rush home with your child after a major trauma incident and not wait for emergency services to arrive? Either story is missing something or something super sketchy..

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 5:18 pm
  • My heart goes out to the family, and prayers as well. As an avid cyclist, this town desperately needs real bike lanes, and it takes awful events like this to make the city install them. Sidewalks are dangerous to ride on with a bicycle due to traffic turning into roads, plazas, you name it. I’ve been in a hit and run in this town due to the lack of infrastructure and would love to see bike lanes.
    Sorry to go off topic like that, but I think bike lanes would help prevent tragedies like this. Bike route sign on roads with double yellow lines, blind turns etc are dangerous and whomever in city planning thought it was a good idea is daft to begin with. Just look at Linden itself.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 5:17 pm
  • I’m sorry…but to even MOVE someone much less a child, that has been hit by an automobile is beyond ludicrous. It’s down right stupid and to “give them a ride home” is beyond insane. ANYONE with half a brain KNOWS that when there is an accident with injuries, that you DON’T MOVE THE VICTIM. That’s the responsibility of the EMT techs to determine the extent of the injuries in case they have to immobilize the victim. DUH!! You sure as hell don’t pick them up and take them home….smh. ALSO, the Hwy patrol/Sherriff’s Deputy HAVE to determine how the accident happened and who was at fault for insurance purposes and their reports. They have to be able to make certain determinations and cannot do that when either party to the accident takes off. I wouldn’t be surprised if the ‘father’ faces charges for doing what he did….leaving the scene of an accident with injuries….much less taking the injured victim with him. WHY would he do that? Did he have something to hide?? Something to ‘unload at home’ ?? Smh. How stupid can some people be? And YES for those who plan to criticize my comment, I agree, my prayers too are with this little girl. I truly hope she will be ok. But her Dad certainly needs to be questioned as to WHY the hell she was even riding on Spring Hill Dr to begin with. Child negligence at BEST! It’s a damn raceway…cars can and DO jump those sidewalks ALL THE TIME. I was a victim who was rear-ended st 55 mph on that dangerous road so yes…voice of experience speaking here to the dangers of it. So zip it now…this was an accident that DID NOT have to happen. And NO, it was not the driver’s fault at all.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 5:01 pm
    • Madea’s Sista!! I am going agree with every thing you stated !! You spoke the honest
      Truth ~ Amen .Prayers fly high for the little girl ..may she get a fast healing ~~

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 5:58 pm
    • YOU ARE 100% ACCURATE ON YOUR STATEMENT!!!

Monday, 19 September 2016, 1:04 pm
  • @mary Columbus Your are correct. The most important thing is that this little girl pulls thru. No need to point fingers. Everyone involved in sure feels horrible. Prayers to all.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 4:53 pm
  • How sad for the driver and little girl. Why was a parent not with a child on a bicycle with traing wheels. Why would a parent let a child on SHD it is safe in a war zone..

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 4:31 pm
  • Oh Dear Jesus be with the little girl and the family at this painful time of need ?

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 4:20 pm
  • Regardless who is at fault. The only thing most important is that little girl is ok!!!!! We were the ones who took this innocent little girl and Dad home where 911 was immediately called. The Dad did he felt was the right thing at the moment!!!!
    BEFORE anyone judges, Think what would you have done in this situation.
    Please keep the little girl and her family in all thoughts and prayers!

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 4:00 pm
  • I am sure the father is distraught over what happened and the driver too. I hope other parents take this and learn from it. Prayers for all involved.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 3:59 pm
  • First off, that’s a bad place to turn a small child loose with a bike. I hope and pray she will be alright. I also hope a pray the driver who hit her will be alright, I am sure they are a basket case over this.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 3:00 pm
  • Aww poor little thing…I pray she recovers quickly. Riding, or even walking, down Spring Hill Dr. is a bad idea anytime. I would never take my kids near that road, way too dangerous. You can’t rely on a little child like that to not make a mistake. Hope she had a helmet on too. That’s why I never drive in the right lane, you never know what that person will do. I feel bad for the driver that hit her, it’s a person’s worst nightmare to hit somebody.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 2:58 pm
  • Prayers for this little girl and her family. Tom please keep us updated on her condition. Also prayers for person who hit her, I am sure they are distraught as well. Very sad.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 2:34 pm
  • Oh dear, so sad. Hopefully she was wearing a helmet. Prayers to all involved.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 2:27 pm
  • That is so very sad. Hope she recovers fully.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 2:27 pm
    • I was driving by and saw the bicycle in the road. My first reaction was ‘what parent lets their child ride on that road’. Prayers to the baby.

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 3:56 pm
      • Sources tell RNRF that the child was riding her bicycle on the sidewalk westbound on Spring Hill Drive,

Monday, 19 September 2016, 10:25 am
  • Prayers for the little girl.
    No way I would let a child that age anywhere near SHD on a bicycle whether I was with them or not. Sorry, tjats just asking for something to happen. ?

Sunday, 18 September 2016, 2:23 pm