5 Injured – One Unresponsive, Six Vehicle Crash on Mariner Blvd

UPDATE: 4/8/2016, 11:22 A.M. – The Florida Highway Patrols is now conducting a death investigation as the result of this morning’s crash.

SPRING HILL – A six vehicle accident has closed the northbound lanes of Mariner Blvd just south of Landover Blvd, in front of Springstead High School.

Sources say 5-people were transported to local hospitals with various injuries, one patient was not conscious or breathing at the time of the crash – their condition is unknown at this time.

The Florida Highway Patrol is en route to investigate the cause of the crash.
We will bring more on this story as it develops.

CORRECTION: Our original report indicated that five vehicles were involved in this morning’s crash. There were actually six.

inj 2 inj 3 inj3 injured 1

Interior Large copy

Comments
  • This is the most DANGEROUS county for auto crashes that I have ever lived in, It’s out of control.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 10:08 am
  • Thank you sticky micky, I agree. Retail mike not so smart either, Takes all kinds,sad to say, but true Have a safe wonderful weekend, again sorry for this tragic accident to all involved!!

Saturday, 9 April 2016, 1:46 pm
  • There but for the grace of God go I. God bless my uncle who was the casualty in this accident. My uncle was 88 and suffered a heart attack while driving. Chances are he was gone before he even hit the car in front of him. He did not drink nor drug, he was not texting on his cell phone (if he even knows how), and he certainly did not set out to do harm. People are very assuming when it comes to these things, but it behooves us to get our facts straight. I am so glad that no one was seriously hurt. But today we are hurting for losing such a wonderful man from our lives. My heart goes out to my cousins and his surviving brothers (my dad being one of them). My uncle is now with my aunt in heaven. Love you uncle Phil.

Saturday, 9 April 2016, 12:40 pm
    • Dear BLanieri, I was beside the man in the lincoln talking to him until ems arrived and I think of this morning and your relative daily and would love to talk to you as I was speaking positive thoughts to him in some of the last minutes prior to ems arriving. He did not verbally respond to me but I do feel he knew he was not alone s nd i wanted the family to know that but never knew how to reach the family of the poor man who is in heaven now please reach out to me if you see this thank you meg ortiz meg downey on face book.

Sunday, 9 April 2017, 2:15 pm
  • Hope everyone is okay , sorry for the drivers family’s loss. On a side note… Ron Mexico needs to be deported. He’s a big doucher.

Saturday, 9 April 2016, 7:55 am
    • Probably a bit better than being sticky, disgusting. nice one though, tough guy

Saturday, 9 April 2016, 11:54 am
  • you ever notice how people that drive slower than you are morons, and people that drive faster than you are lunatics? L.O.L.

Saturday, 9 April 2016, 12:10 am
  • My best friend told me about this accident she said she was almost involved as well. I am so sorry there are so many ignorant people that automatically assume s** t. My family’s prayers are with everyone involved. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS!!! ???

Friday, 8 April 2016, 11:39 pm
  • Heart attacks are no joke and can come on suddenly like this mans did. I am saddened to hear that the gentlemen passed away, but I am glad that everyone else is okay.

For everyone assumming; its hard not to because distracted driving is the number one cause of accidents. So as I myself understand why you assumed, its not always the case as this showed.

All I can say is that I think if we all were able to go without assuming or accusing things that life would be easy.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 11:29 pm
  • Seeing this today outside my school was just shocking. Hope everyone makes it out alright.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 10:49 pm
  • What changes occurred??? I was behind the red car when the accident occurred, The drivers and passengers involved in the accident immediately started exiting their vehicles, and the traffic behind the accident started passing the accident using the inside turn lane. Being a nurse, on my way to work, I immediately pulled into the outside lane (near the Lincoln) and asked several of the people involved in the accident if anyone needed assistance? I was told no, that everyone was OK. was told no. a few of the victims if anyone needed medical assistance and I was told everyone was OK. A man was standing next to the passanger door of the Lincoln, and he lit up a cigarette, a few people went over to the sidewalk while others were on their cell phones. At no time while I was there, prior to the emergency vehicles arriving, did anyone indicate that someone required medical assistance. When the accident occurred there was another accident that had occurred previously just north of the light and several emergency vehicles were on site there. Because of this, I assumed this accident occurred due to the fact that one of the drivers were watching that accident and they probably didn’t notice the cars ahead of them stop for the red light and that’s what caused the pile up. Sadly, I now discover on here that one of the drivers actually died, and 5 others required transport to the hospital for care, I don’t understand why I was told everyone was OK, and by more than one person? Nor, did I observe anyone performing first aid, or did anyone request first aid/emergency care. I realize the person that died could have declined after I left the scene, but if they were unconscious as indicated in the news report, they certainly required medical assistance. I don’t know if immediate medical care would had made a difference, but I’d hate to think that someone was casually smoking a cigarette, while another person was inside their car that actually needed medical care. I’m sending my thoughts and prayers to the family of the deceased driver, as well as to all those involved.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 10:25 pm
  • No one is a PERFECT driver. We all make mistakes while driving but been very lucky that haven’t cause any accident. Like you all know this was cause due to health issues. And yes there are a lot of people that speed just because they feel like it but other people might speed because they probably received a phone call that their mother, father, child, wife, husband, brother, sister, ect ect had an accident and is dying, or she/he got hit by a car, or was abducted, got shot or who knows what else. There are thousands of reasons why somebody speed or cause an accident. When there is an accident the first thing almost everybody talks about is speeders, not paying attention, texting, ect. without knowing the reason why that accident happen.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 9:27 pm
  • Is this the largest wreck that’s ever been reported in RNRF?

Friday, 8 April 2016, 9:14 pm
  • Many months ago, I made a comment that there needs to be more visible law enforcement on the roads. The response was…”we have them out there in unmarked cars, doing undercover stings”. So, they are out there trying to catch one bad guy, when there are dozens on the roads, right in plain sight? That makes sense. Not.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 8:13 pm
  • Stop referring to Ron Mexico. You sound ignorant. Google it.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 7:25 pm
  • Ron Mexico=”ya’all learn some proper English so we don’t SEE so ignorant ” well I see fine, better learn some proper English and grammar nice try fool. Show some sense boy and this article was about people being injured and a man dying.not a senseless post like yours. Prayers for ALL involved in this tragedy. One can tell from Demianna’s post she has been raised the RIGHT way and cares for others. Thanks for your post Demianna.how refreshing to see a 12 yr old with common sense and compassion for others, I applaud you and your parents. Take care, be well.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 6:40 pm
  • Drive fast is not the same as driving reckless. Just as not all accidents are caused by speeding. There are many responses talking about speeders following too close yet to prove their point won’t move over. it’s pretty simple, if you’re in the left lane and someone is riding your bumper, move to the right. Yes you have a right to be in the left lane if passing or if you want to turn left, what you also have the right to do is be courteous to other drivers. It’s ok not to be in a hurry but it’s not ok to purposely slow others down.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 6:26 pm
  • Demianna, so glad you and your dad are ok, I am sure this was very upsetting for you and all involved. As for Ron Mexico, you are really heartless and stupid!! Even younger people have heart attacks, my father was 44 yrs old when he died Heart attack and no he wasn’t driving, Karma is not so good, might just come around and bite ya Just think sometimes the really good people die young and then we are left with someone like you, no compassion whatsoever obviously raised by wolves. Sorry people, but it’s true, I pray for the elderly man and his family, I am sure he was loved and will be missed. You should apologize to this family Ron Mexico, but doubt you have it in you!!

Friday, 8 April 2016, 6:22 pm
    • Typical uneducated loser. You dont agree with the message so you launch personal attacks. What I said was true, but you cannot refute the point. Stay classy.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 8:17 pm
  • So glad you are okay, Demlanna!

Friday, 8 April 2016, 6:13 pm
  • amazing the people wanting to blame fast driving on this one when there are reports it was a medical incident related to cardiac issues. Just something to think about when you are on the road with all these people. Its a gamble every time you get behind the wheel but we take it for granted every time we get from point a to b with out incident. Why I upgraded from a cheap light weight car with great gas mileage to a more crash worthy vehicle. You might pay a few more dollars a month but whats safety worth. I learned its not if youre going to get in a crash these days its more when its its going to happen.. sometimes sooner than later.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 5:02 pm
  • oh look, another fatal crash caused by the elderly

Friday, 8 April 2016, 4:52 pm
  • There was also only four cars that got wrecked the last one was barely tapped

Friday, 8 April 2016, 4:42 pm
  • Thanks I was one of the people involved with my dad we were in the big white Tahoe not much damage was done to us, I am fine we spent hours in the hospital I was in the passenger side of our truck and I’m only 12 but the man who caused this had a possible chance of having a heart attack, he was 87 and he died at the wheel he was then brought back and then unfortunately passed shortly after. Once again thanks for your support even though we weren’t the only ones involved?

Friday, 8 April 2016, 4:40 pm
  • Prayers for all involved and I didn’t see any age posted, so why don’t we wait for info before throwing stones at ALL seniors, heck last horrific death was caused by 20 somethin criminal, you know the one that killed a 3 yr old child and critically injured the 1 yr old and injured her mother okay?? Thanks. Bad drivers of all ages here and EVERYWHERE . No I am not high and mighty, but never had a ticket of any kind and don’t intend to start now, nor do I have to post to make myself feel important. You have a nice day Mr Mane and be safe out there? Again prayers for all involved and to the families as well.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 3:48 pm
  • How y’all what caused the accident? U just wanna assume **** so u can get on here n criticize so u feel important…what if they breaked fast cause a turtle or crane in the road. Tom Lemmons got the info not u n if he had an explanation for what caused it he’d type it in here. How bout y’all get off the computer and go to commissioner meetings and throw some ideas around to make the roads safer. Like senior citizens need yearly examinations to see if they’re able drive. I’ve seen countless elderly folks going wrong way on spring hill drive. N deputies who actually enforce all traffic infractions not just the ones they think there’ll be a felony added cause they got rims on the car or they’re playing music loud. Assume n criticize that’s all I see from the same perfect people who never do anything wrong n should b praised like they’re high and mighty.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 1:19 pm
    • How about “ya’ll” learn some proper english so you dont see so ignorant

Friday, 8 April 2016, 5:07 pm
      • Ron, you “SEEM” to have a problem too. LOL

Friday, 8 April 2016, 10:14 pm
  • I am amazed at the amount of traffic accidents in this area. The sheriffs made a big deal about speeding and driving too slow in the left lane, but what about those that follow too close? This is a major problem here. I do not speed at all and most times someone is on my rear cussing and throwing up their hands, There is special cargo in my vehicle ( my kids) and I refuse to be bullied by the jackass in a hurry to get nowhere. Prayers go to the people in this accident. I drove past right after it happened and it was horrible. The state troopers are still there.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 12:47 pm
    • It’s the mind set around here, Like all the women with tattoos all over them, Kind of makes you think that your in some kind of circus sideshow.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 10:13 am
  • I live very close to mariner and the way I see, hear these cars racing down mariner blows my mind. The freak in speed limit is 45, not 65/70!! What really cracks me up is I would be doing the speed limit and of course here comes fast Fred or hurry Hilda in my rearview mirror aging up on to to pass me only to gain up on fast Fred, hurry Hilda at the red light. I blow my horn at these idiots to let them know they didn’t actually get any further then I and I’m doing 45. Not only is it ridiculous how people r in a hurry to be first at a light but for some reason I can’t wrap my mind around people that need to text or talk on phone while driving. They can’t drive at all without distractions now with a mix of a need to talk, text whatever we are all at risk because the stupidity of selfish people are beyond my comprehension. People shit isn’t that important enough to cause an accident,..sad thing is the ones that don’t give a shit will be eventually put or thrown into a situation they caused. And that my friends is called karma

Friday, 8 April 2016, 12:44 pm
  • Jennjenn1 what time was this how many cars who was the first car involved. I have children that are in this school n it scared me because of the theater across the street children crossing back n forth all day ppl pay attention stop texting stop driving irrationally others with families out there dont want to die by a random. God be with all involved, Amen !!!!!!

Friday, 8 April 2016, 11:59 am
  • I’m going to venture and say a medical issue caused this accident.
    It doesn’t look bad enough to call death

Friday, 8 April 2016, 11:47 am
  • Hope all are O.K but wish people would read the speed limits signs and pay attention. The older you get the less patience you have slow down my family could be on the road while your in a hurry with no where to go.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 11:46 am
  • it drives me nuts when ppl dont pay attention while driving around or near schools. it could have been a student too driving and not paying attention but who knows. ive notice that here lately theres been more and more accidents around spring hill.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 11:46 am
  • I saw this accident on my way to work. Praying for everyone involved

Friday, 8 April 2016, 11:02 am
    • The Lincoln driver had a medical episode and was most likely unconscious and time of impact.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 11:59 am
  • Not paying attention?? on the phone??? going to fast??? Just sayin’ Another wonderful start to a day on the County roads 🙁

Friday, 8 April 2016, 10:47 am
    • Or maybe an unavoidable medical episode??? Looks like we have another ignorant person who makes assumptions before checking their facts..

Friday, 8 April 2016, 2:13 pm
  • What’s the speed limit, don’t think the Lincoln driver knows.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 10:46 am
  • So sick of damn people not paying attention and driving like complete morons. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!! THERE ARE OTHER PEOPLE WITH FAMILIES IN THOSE OTHER VEHICLES THAT DON’T WANT TO DIE. Stop speeding through that area. Picking up speed just to pass someone and end up at the same damn red light anyways. Its not worth your life or anyone elses.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 10:44 am
    • the guy who caused the wreck had a heart attack while driving, not a matter of not paying attention.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 1:35 pm
    • I know the driver personally. An unexpected medical episode was the cause of the crash, not him being an irresponsible driver. You should all check your facts before making a false accusation.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 1:45 pm
      • Exactly………… everyone just assumes

Friday, 8 April 2016, 5:23 pm
  • Sending prayers to all involved!

Friday, 8 April 2016, 10:17 am
  • Hope everyone makes it ok. People need to be more careful driving. No offense…but I see morons on the road everyday going 60 on 45 and up close to other vehicles.

Friday, 8 April 2016, 10:00 am