At Least 7 Arrested After Near Riot at Eckerd Youth Camp

BROOKSVILLE – Sheriff’s Deputies responded to 201 Culbreath Road this evening (Eckerd Youth Ranch), after reports that dozens teenage boys were fighting at that location.

According to our sources, Staff at the facility called for help after several teens from one of the dormitories attempted to break into an adjacent Dormitory, to fight with other rival teens.

Upon their arrival, deputies managed to secure each of the three dormitories and bring the situation under control.

There are unconfirmed reports that at least 7 teens were arrested and transported to the Hernando County Jail.

There are no reports of injuries at this time.

We will bring more on this story as new information develops.

The Eckerd Youth Camp is an alternative for troubled high risk teens.

youth

Comments
  • I was there over thirty years ago and it helped me a lot

Tuesday, 6 September 2016, 1:36 pm
  • Look at the booking photos, are you surprised?

Tuesday, 12 April 2016, 11:16 pm
    • Are you serious, they are juveniles, no booking photos, must be thinking of IDK; you tell us…

Saturday, 7 May 2016, 4:39 pm
  • I worked at Eckerd Challenge for 20 years as an administrative assistant, and then retired from a different Eckerd program a few years later. While at Challenge I saw good leadership and poor leadership. I saw them struggle to not be punitive, yet maintain control. For a time they tried to hire people with degrees to deal with the boys, but it was hard attracting those with credentials, especially out in the ‘wilderness.’ Mr. Eckerd’s vision was a great one. Unfortunately, something has gotten lost in the implementation of his philosopy over time. Not only that but the current racial climate nationwide has certainly deteriorated since I worked there. The races tended to polarize even then, so I can imagine tensions run even higher now. The saddest thing, however, was that there were many staff committed to giving these kids a second chance. If the boys would only would realize that and leave the destructive paths they are on! There were some very memorable kids I came in contact with. I believe some did make it and I do believe Eckerd had a part in that process. Maybe now it’s time to really evaluate the program as a whole, however, especially where it comes to reasonable discipline, or I should say, the lack thereof.

Tuesday, 12 April 2016, 9:26 pm
  • Very strange that some say the program is just wonderful and others say just the opposite. Sure, experiences vary, but wow…

Tuesday, 12 April 2016, 10:35 am
    • Some people are paid better than others.

Sunday, 23 July 2017, 4:04 pm
  • let all the brats fight it out when theyre done who ever is still alive can say they pass eckerd youth camp!

Monday, 11 April 2016, 7:37 pm
  • Roger /Tony, go back or quit whining!

Monday, 11 April 2016, 5:43 pm
  • Bored teenage boys fist fighting? I’m so shocked (sarcastic)! Let them take out there aggressions for 10 minutes and buy some pizza, Pepsi and Band Aids. Trump is right …people are getting too soft.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 11:56 pm
    • commish id like to agree with you but its not 1 on 1 same age or size. its usually 5 on 1 and they rape the loser or shank em. lots of these kids come in through also with stds or other serious diseases like hepatitis. you dont want their blood or body fluids. this isnt tommy and joey fist fighting on the playground in the school yard anymore.

Monday, 11 April 2016, 8:04 am
    • to that! I hated working there because of how they kept our arms tied!

Sunday, 23 July 2017, 4:06 pm
  • I was in two “camps” as a child. Many of the girls that went there with me did not turn out okay and have major mental problems from some of the things they did to us. Honestly though it saved my life. It was like a very long time out. I was still bad when I left, but I though twice about my actions. I turned out to be an okay person and I didn’t end up in a ditch or o.d. ed or something.so, I’m thankful.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 11:11 pm
    • Neco very happy to hear you ended a success. Not everyone gets it on the first time around. We all have to learn from mistakes we make, even as adults. Looks for their alumni page on facebook

Saturday, 7 May 2016, 4:35 pm
    • That’s good even though Eckerd failed to live up to minimal standards. Staff and inmates are selectively targeted victims.

Sunday, 23 July 2017, 4:11 pm
  • Or pick cotton

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 10:06 pm
    • But that’s racist!

It jimmies their rustles… ?

Sunday, 23 July 2017, 4:23 pm
  • To bad Eckerds sold all their drug stores, they could just sedate the future felons and let them go plant corn.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 10:05 pm
    • That my friend is the most brilliant idea I’ve heard all week!

Sunday, 23 July 2017, 4:08 pm
  • boss lady, he just about described any operation this state has it’s hands in.why should he keep his mouth shut?

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 8:04 pm
  • Tough place at times. Youve got 14 year olds that are 6ft plus 200+ lbs in there on multiple charges revolving around violence and are full of raging hormones and come from families that most of the time raised them around aggressive behavior and drugs. I have friends and family that worked there. Before the hospital I was technically hired but from what I understand there was a nepotism concern.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 7:42 pm
  • My father worked there as night security and really respected what they were doing there. We attended functions with and found everyone friendly and caring. Perhaps it’s gone down hill in the last 20 years, or to maybe this was an isolated incident.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 7:39 pm
    • This was an isolated incident … And this was at the residential program for boys. The camp adjoining has been closed for about 4 years. Sadly, many felt the camp was a very good alternative for them to reach and many did and today also have an alumni page where they still keep in touch and support each other..

Saturday, 7 May 2016, 4:33 pm
  • One word military

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 4:47 pm
  • Wow, Private Eyes, you must be a disgruntled employee or someone who couldnt cut it there. Too much information shared on your end. Let them deal with this and keep your mouth shut. Most likely, couldn’t cut it and couldn’t handle the kids.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 3:26 pm
  • I had a child in Eckerds. They lied, they forged my name, they didn’t do what they said they were doing for the child, etc. He wasn’t at this camp rather they came to visit us at our home. Eckerds did more harm to my son then they helped him. A bunch of people who don’t care who or what they hurt.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 1:49 pm
  • My daughter is at eckerd eninihassee and it saved her life.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 1:01 pm
    • June glad to hear. There are many youth that were saved form Eckerd programs. People just like drama. And this is one incident like this in what over 48 years since the Eckerd family started these programs to give youth a second chance if life…

Monday, 11 April 2016, 1:22 pm
  • My brother attended this program and it did alot of good for him. !!! It is not the facility’s fault for some of the rules that are broken ,talk to your over paid governor and poor managed county for this. The gang thing sadly are boys trying to become men but unfortunately have no role model to follow which to they never learned how to stand alone and fight like a real man .Society at its best!

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 11:19 am
  • I thought the only thing that went on at Eckerd was Sleep 24/7 when the kids were not eating. It’s a nice quiet place in the woods where kids can forget about school, rules, and or chores and just sleep away their problems. Is that not correct? Let the kids that experienced this place explain it best.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 10:28 am
    • sporttyy the youth do tell of their experience. They started a facebook site for the youth allumni. Eckerd has helped give thousands and thousands of kids a second chance in many different states. If they choose a different path after leaving that is their choice. They have always received daily treatment. Know many of them through the alumni page of youth who choose to keep in touch with each other and support each other to live a good life.

Monday, 11 April 2016, 1:28 pm
  • Hernando County sounded like a nice place to live before I moved here, Boy was i wrong.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 10:19 am
    • The youth at this program are from all over the state of Florida, generally none even from Hernando County. Ruth and Jack Eckerd first opened their Brooksville location program in 1968 also. So it has been there quite some time.

Saturday, 7 May 2016, 4:41 pm
  • Ridiculous place. Upper management does not support the staff. They do not follow the mandates of two counselors to every dorm. They just passed an audit but covered up alot of **** to pass. The state needs to really inspect this hole in the wall. These kids are not truly getting the help they need.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 8:46 am
  • Yes, this facility is working very well, put them in JAIL where they belong or back on the streets so they can run with there gangs.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 4:57 am
  • Send them off to gladiator school. They get to wear the red hat. Way up in the panhandle somewhere. Far far away.

Sunday, 10 April 2016, 12:48 am
    • Pine forests and swamp for when they need to cool off. Picturing that now. Either that or Naked and Afraid contestants in the Everglades.?

Sunday, 23 July 2017, 4:13 pm
  • I was at the one for girls 20 yrs ago… this place did help me!!! I am thankful

Saturday, 9 April 2016, 11:22 pm