Activists Take Flag Burning to Tampa, Despite Claims “Its an act of violence”

TAMPA – Last Saturday, a small group of protesters traveled to the Brooksville courthouse, intent on setting fire to the Confederate and American flags. The group that calls themselves the Uhuru Solidarity Movement, were met by dozens of protestors who prevented the burning and eventually forced the group to pack up and leave the area. ORIGINAL VIDEO REPORT

We asked Bettejo Passalaqua, one of the groups organizers, why they decided not to burn the flags during last week’s demonstration, she said “We decided it would be an act of violence and we are not a violent people.” Less than a week later, the group found a more hospitable audience on the grounds of Curtis Hixon Park, where their policy on “violence” changed as they proceed to burn both flags, virtually unopposed.

The group claims both flags represent a history of slavery and genocide in America and that we must build solidarity with the black community. Protestors say they have three demands of Tampa; change the name of Robert E. Lee Elementary School, remove the large confederate flag that flies near the I-4 / I-75 junction, and continue their investigation into the black bicyclist traffic stops.

Organizers of the Uhuru Solidarity Movement are also involved in other crusades like, the International Women’s Peace Service (IWPS) a pro-Palestinian, anti-Israeli occupation group that claim Israeli’s are committing genocide against women and children in Palestine.

They’re also active in the radical Occupy Tampa organization which have been vocal in anti-police violence rallies, pro-marijuana legalization, and like the IWPS, claim Israel is committing unprovoked acts of violence against the Palestinian people.

The Uhuru Solidarity Movement vows to continue their efforts to end discrimination in the Tampa Bay Area.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ™2013 Real News Real Fast, Inc.

falg 4 Flag 1 flag 2 flag 3

Comments
  • I’m with you Tony agreed Mrs Talyor lol thats right. That was the biggest chicken sh$% demosrtation I have seen they waited till everyone was doing what we do family, food, fireworks and hid to burn it cowards!!!!!!!!!

Monday, 6 July 2015, 7:31 am
  • It’s not illegal to burn the flag. As long as the actual fire isn’t endangering anyone, it falls under free speech. As it should.

Monday, 6 July 2015, 7:19 am
  • They are bored and have nothing real to do.
    Don’t think this deserves print.

Sunday, 5 July 2015, 8:42 pm
  • If you don’t like America then leave America, We may not be perfect but we are much better then all the rest and If you try to burn an American flag in front of me yo can expect a very SLAMING Response that should change your thinking. The is America, Love it or leave it. Anyone else Agree with me?

Sunday, 5 July 2015, 11:16 am
  • holding a sign speaking of love and rising up and fighting make up your mind

Sunday, 5 July 2015, 10:44 am
  • Brave to protest in the safety of isolation during a holiday when city streets are empty. If a tree fell in the woods…? Bettejo looks bad because she frequently fasts for peace. Starving, like cloth-burning, is an empty gesture that moves no agenda. This group wallows in white guilt with activities that feed their own egos. Let’s hear from people the Uhurus have helped. Come on, louder!

Sunday, 5 July 2015, 10:14 am
  • It’s a rebel flag…..end of story….it’s part of U.S. history…move on…

Sunday, 5 July 2015, 3:57 am
  • They look like SCUM, Look at Bettijo standing there like she just crawled out of the corner sewer holding her love is justice poster. Back to the gutter Bettijo back to the gutter!

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 11:34 pm
  • What I find funny it’s about “black lives matter” LMAO there are three African Americans there.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 11:20 pm
  • They look like bums. Look at the second to last picture. One lady looks homeless and the other has ripped stockings. They should get there hygiene together before they worry about other issues. I’m racist and proud of it.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 10:57 pm
  • Dumb enough to put their faces on the internet!

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 9:17 pm
  • These socialist haters need to crawl back into the holes from which they came from.
    If this country is so bad than they need to depart for friendlier locals. Anywhere in the Middle East, North Korea or China would be fine. They would be welcomed and enjoy the rest of their miserable life’s in confines they desire with socialist, communist dictators.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 8:37 pm
  • Zoom in on that lead photo and you will notice four or five of them with backs to the camera looking down the street behind the actual event….Kinda looks as if they are the groups scouts looking for possible unrest or confrontation.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 7:40 pm
  • Send them to ISIS

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 5:44 pm
  • Don’t want Schools named after General Lee what about Martin Luther King and I am far from being a racist I feel we all should be able to express our feelings and that a few loud groups should not be able to cause the disruption they do but then again we are a free country right???

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 4:57 pm
  • sad that tampa couldn’t muster up enough people with courage to stop these idiots

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 4:54 pm
  • BROUGHT TO YOU COMPLIMENTS OF THE UHURU GROUP (RACIST HATE SUPPORTERS) AND OCCUPY MOVEMENT OF TAMPA…. OBVIOUSLY THE OCCUPY MOVEMENT HAS FINALLY GOTTEN OFF THEIR MOM AND DAD’S COUCHES THIS YEAR…

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 4:50 pm
  • What pisses me off it’s illegal to burn our flag. Of course nothing will be done about it. Thats not freedom of speech thats shitting on the men and women who payed the ultimate price for our freedom. If I see them the only thing burning will be there asses because my foot will be up there ass. So if I don’t like them that makes me a racist oh well call me what you want. All I know is I’m a patriot and I will defend my country no Matter the cost. I’m so beyond pissed off.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 4:34 pm
  • A bunch of losers with nothing else productive to do

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 4:15 pm
  • These people are Racist they talk about black lives what about the other races they are offending I’m American Indian and I’m Offended I was raised in Charleston where all this has started look hotkey handle the issues not looking for handouts # Charlestonstrong

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 4:13 pm
  • You’ll notice in this 1858 speech to congress, Jeff Davis, doesn’t talk at all about states rights, Lincoln isn’t involved, no BS, just about preserving slavery:

“It seems now to be probable that the Abolitionists and their allies will have control of the next House of Representatives, and it may be well inferred from their past course that the will attempt legislature both injurious and offensive to the south. I have an abiding faith that any law which violates our constitutional rights, will be met with a veto by the present Executive. – But should the next House of Representatives be such as would elect an Abolition President, we may expect that the election will be so conducted as probably to defeat a choice by the people and devolve the election upon the House.

Whether by the House or by the people, if an Abolitionist be chosen president of the United States, you will have presented to you the question of whether you will permit the government to pass into the hands of your avowed and implacable enemies. Withoutt pausing for your answer, I will state my own position to be that such a result would be a species of revolution by which the purposes of the Government would be destroyed and the observances of its mere forms entitled to no respect.”

Therefore, it’s pretty easy to conclude that using a slavery icon to represent “heritage” is either dishonest, racist, or just lazy.

There are tons of great things about our history, no need to glorify our darkest hour, our greatest mistake.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 4:11 pm
  • Disappointed Tampa, I live in Brooksvile, need I say more?

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 4:07 pm
  • Facts are stubborn things… (John Adams)

Confederate veteran Ed Baxter unashamedly told a reunion in 1889: “In a word, the South determined to fight for her property right in slaves; and in order to do so, it was necessary for her resist the change which the Abolitionists proposed to make under the Constitution of the United States as construed by them. . . Upon this issue the South went to war, I repeat that the people of the South had the right to fight for their property”. . . .

Famed Confederate partisan leader Colonel John S. Mosby was equally forthright. “I’ve always understood that we went to war on account of the thing we quarreled with the North about,” he wrote a former comrade in 1894. “I’ve never heard of any other cause than slavery.”

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 4:03 pm
  • Great Job! Americans who know their history hate that flag! If a slavery Icon represents your heritage, than there isn’t much hope for you. If you think the civil war wasn’t about slavery, then you’re beef is with Jeff Davis, the southern states not me.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 3:59 pm
  • All they’re doing is making a STRONGER reason for people to be racist. They should have shut up and put up !!! Stop covering this crap and giving them the attention they so desire.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 3:58 pm
  • Maybe if they had jobs to be at on a Friday afternoon they’d have less time on there hands. Leader of this group has an arrest record with drugs involved and she looks wasted in this picture too.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 3:04 pm
  • That’s right move on dummies! Because we will be kicking asses and taking names. Proud to live in Hernando County. Tampa not so strong that’s sad. Know where all the wimps live now.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 3:01 pm
  • Useless bunch of home-brewed trash. Mostly unemployable wastes of oxygen.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 3:01 pm
  • I see it now.. everything is closed and shut down for the holiday. Chicken they were… attacked the city on the sly, no announcement before hand and burn the flag (which has done nothing to them) safely. Yes.. I see they are not into violence. I read their thread last week on the Brooksville attack, viscous they were.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 2:58 pm
  • Sad that this crap gets news coverage and feeds their ego. They probably did NOT post that they were going to do what they did in Tampa. If they would have, with Tampa being much larger than Brooksville, you would have thought more would be there to protest their stupidity. They seem to be offended by what the flag, so they think, means… two people can read the same passage and come away with something different but this whole group apparently cannot read at all… ignorance surrounds them in the form of lunacy.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 2:54 pm
    • Apparently, you’re either racist, or simply unable to read, if you support the “confederate” flag. Historical facts are very clear, the war was fought over slavery, and the flag was used to promote white supremacy for years.

“The Confederate Veteran—the official publication of the United Confederate Veterans—in 1906:

The kindliest relation that ever existed between the two races in this country, or that ever will, was the ante-bellum relation of master and slave—a relation of confidence and responsibility on the part of the master and of dependence and fidelity on the part of the slave”

Just one example of hundreds. Its amazing that this kind of ignorance of basic history exists.

Thursday, 9 July 2015, 10:09 am