Hit and Run Crash Closes I-75, Alert Truck Driver May Have Saved Lives

BROOKSVILLE –  An early morning hit and run crash closed northbound lanes of I-75 and injured two people.

Officials say three vehicles, including a semi-tractor-trailer were involved in a collision at mile marker 297 but one of the vehicles fled the scene after leaving a path of destruction.

According to reports, just before 2:00 a.m. an unknown vehicle type was traveling northbound in the inside lane, when the driver changed lanes and struck a Honda Civic. The Honda rotated and stopped in the middle of I-75. The driver of the Semi veered left to avoid a collision but he still struck the Honda, then jackknifed and collided with a guardrail. The vehicle that caused the crash fled the area.

The driver of the Honda, 18-year-old Robert Abreu of Brooksville, and the truck driver, 66-year-old David Stalvey of Homerville, Georgia, both suffered minor injuries and were transported locally for evaluation.

A Hazmat crew was dispatched to the scene, after officials say 40 to 60 gallons of diesel fuel spilled onto the highway. I-75 was closed for several hours while crews cleared debris and repaired damage to the roadway.

Officials say the only description of the vehicle is a white passenger car.

Comments
  • Cindy: My son wasn’t sited for any wrong doing and if he was speeding why didn’t you say that in your first post.

How the hell would you know if the car was functional or not, he couldn’t move the car it was dead after the impact so save your ridiculous comments about your derby driving no one cares!

So don’t appreciate your unnecessary comments. If you had all this info why not stop at time of accident to report to the trooper, really don’t care about anything else but that my son and truck driver were OK.

Friday, 26 May 2017, 7:11 pm
  • My daddy was the truck driver and I’m just thankful he was watching the road because this could have definitely ended another way. I’m glad that young man got to go home to his family too!

Sunday, 7 May 2017, 3:47 pm
    • Hi Britt: Glad to hear your Dad is recovering well. My son was the driver of the Honda Civic and helped your Dad out of his truck.

Wednesday, 10 May 2017, 10:18 pm
  • Thank God no one was killed or seriously injured. Hope the POS coward is caught…

Saturday, 6 May 2017, 8:31 pm
  • install dash cams. i have full 360 degree with HD. best money ive spent on that vehicle. high definition license plates. they are dirt cheap.

Saturday, 6 May 2017, 8:06 pm
  • Could it have been a white 2 door focus?

Saturday, 6 May 2017, 1:18 pm
    • Cindy, if you know of one with damage that might fit please call leo. I’m sure you can do it anonymously. Better to be safe & have it checked into than to let someone get away with this carnage.

Saturday, 6 May 2017, 8:26 pm
      • Ok I’m not sure if it posted the first comment so if this is a repeat then sorry.
        I must have come on that car after it spun out. It was just sitting there it didn’t appear to have any damage. Then again it was dark so I cannot be certain. However the white car I came up on did not have any damage from what I saw. In fact it seemed like he may have been on the phone with emergency personnel. Cause shortly after is when I herd the sirens. And I really am not sure that any info I have would make a difference.

Sunday, 7 May 2017, 1:44 pm
        • Hi Cindy:

I’m the mother of the 18 yr that was driving the Honda Civic. He was side swiped by a white vehicle (which is what was told to police). But unfortunately since that driver drove off so soon no one saw the make of the car or tag #.

If that was that white car was involved the damage would have been on their passenger side since he hit my son’s car on the drivers side before it was hit by the semi-truck.

Any info would be helpful in trying to track this horrible person that has no regard of another life.

Sandy Abreu-Baez

Wednesday, 10 May 2017, 6:09 pm
          • First things first your kid was speeding I know this because before we got to 52 he was passing me and I was going 75 then as we proceeded on to the overpass your kid decided to slow down next to my car. Which I don’t know if you know this but that is a really bad area of road. Is extremely unsafe to go next to another car ( blind spots), especially if you don’t have to. Then he proceeded to speed off after we got over the overpass. You want me to Damn A car which I don’t know much about I just know he got off the exit and made a right. And if your kid was hit on the driver side of his car from the passenger side of the other car I wonder of his ability to notice such a thing and avoid it. And even if he did touched, your sons car should have been operational enough to move itself off the right away. I know this for a fact because of accidents I myself have been in and driving a car in a demo derby.

Saturday, 13 May 2017, 1:20 pm
  • Most likely are useless drunk that caused the accident hope they get caught

Saturday, 6 May 2017, 11:12 am
    • Ahhhh SHUT Up , Lena, nobody pulled your chain.

Saturday, 6 May 2017, 1:34 pm
    • EITHER DRUNK OR WRONG WAY DRIVER.

Saturday, 6 May 2017, 1:53 pm