Amber Alert Prompted by Mother’s Claims of Violent Behavior, Father Speaks Out

REGIONAL – Before a law enforcement agency requests the issuance of a Florida Amber Alert, there must be sufficient evidence that a child is great danger and that the abductor plans to harm the child or place him or her in conditions that could be detrimental to their health.

When 2-year-old Bane Wheeler was snatched from a Port Richey Daycare by his biological father, information provided by the toddler’s mother, combined with the mother’s allegations that Daniel was violent, led authorities to issuing an Amber Alert Tuesday afternoon. From that point forward, Bane’s father, Daniel Wheeler, was portrayed as a violent and dangerous criminal who had illegally abducted his own son without permission. But that may not be the case, according to Daniel who spoke to us by phone yesterday while traveling back to his current home state of Tennessee.

In September of 2014 Erica fled to the State of Florida and established residency with Bane. Daniel quickly responded and filed a motion in Pasco County for full custody of their son. On October 3rd, 2014 Judge Kim Campbell granted Daniel full custody. During the hearing Erica’s attorney served Daniel with an ex parte domestic violence injunction, which is a typical strategy used by attorneys to discredit a petitioner or Respondent and thus influence a judge to deny custody or visitation. Fortunately for Daniel, Judge Campbell denied her motion and Daniel was granted full custody.

According to Daniel, a Texas Judge later ordered that Erica have primary residential custody in Florida and that Daniel would have visitation. After nearly two years of compliance, Erica stopped allowing Daniel to see their son and that’s what prompted Daniel to take action.

Daniel says Texas threw out their order and turned jurisdiction back over to Florida. If that is the case, according to Daniel, then technically he has full custody of Bane and therefore had the right to pick him up whenever he wanted. On Tuesday, January 31st, that’s exactly what he did, when he walked into Bane’s daycare and took him while the mother was distracted.

Daniel says before authorities issued the Amber Alert, he kept in constant contact with law enforcement and even tried to email Erica to let her know they were safe. Despite his cooperation, officials believed the allegations of violent behavior reported by Erica and that is what he says led to the issuance of an Amber Alert.

It should be noted that Daniel is on Felony probation out of Texas for burglary but does not have a violent criminal history.

By the end of the day on Tuesday, Daniel agreed to meet with law enforcement in Orlando to discuss the situation. Daniel was not charged but a Department of Children and Families agent made the decision to give custody of Bane back to his mother, without explanation.

Daniel says the thing that broke his heart the most is when Bane woke up from a nap and said “where’s mommy?” Daniel said “she’s not here but Daddy is.” Bane replied “I don’t have a Daddy.”

Daniel is back in Tennessee trying to decide on what to do next. Daniel hopes to raise enough money to hire an attorney so that he can continue to fight for his son.

Will Dunn and and his organization, Fathers Supporting Fathers, is helping Daniel seek legal counsel and cope with issues surrounding his custody battle.

The following GoFundme Page has been established to help raise funds to help with legal expenses.

bade-1 bane dv-2 dv-1

Comments
  • So sorry. Every child should have a right to there father growing up. Children need both roll models in there life… Good luck.
    Start a http://www.gofundme.com account

Friday, 3 February 2017, 3:04 pm
    • Someone made me on e just need everyone’s help

Sunday, 5 February 2017, 1:38 am
    • Lets not and say we did.

Sunday, 5 February 2017, 5:22 am
    • I use to believe a child has a right to both parents. NOT ANYMORE! Grew up with a great father, can’t say the same for my children. My kids dad was/is still a violent drunk. After I filed for divorce he fought for custody, not to be with the kids but as a way to fight me. He got every other weekend supervised visitations. He used them to threaten me through the kids, telling they would come home from school one day to find me dead, kids begged not to have to go see him.

Sunday, 5 February 2017, 9:40 am
  • Let’s help this man and his son

Friday, 3 February 2017, 2:13 pm
  • Mother should be held accountable for telling police he was violent and miss using law enforcement sources. I myself am a mother but gotta say some women shouldn’t even get to use the word mother the way some of them act and use resources of law enforcement and state to Thier advantage.
    By the way I wouldn’t trust DCF with my paper dolls, just saying.

Friday, 3 February 2017, 1:44 pm

Sunday, 5 February 2017, 1:39 am
    • Amen

Sunday, 5 February 2017, 10:15 am
  • Good ol Florida, always giving rights to Mothers and maternal sides of families.

Daniel, I truly hope you get the legal counsel that you need to be reunited with your son. I am so sorry you had to hear your son say those words.

Friday, 3 February 2017, 11:45 am
  • Did both parties agree to have these Domestic Relations Case documents posted online? Both of those documents are usually confidential, and not available to the public view per Florida statute.

Friday, 3 February 2017, 9:36 am
  • Sounds Like a Evil Woman To Me! She Needs The Taste of a Jail Cell for Awhile. I Bet are Tax Dollars are Helping Her. Don’t Give up Daniel

Friday, 3 February 2017, 7:48 am
  • Yawn.

Friday, 3 February 2017, 7:08 am
  • “On October 3rd, 2014 Judge Kim Campbell granted Daniel full custody. During the hearing Erica’s attorney served Daniel with an ex parte domestic violence injunction, which is a typical strategy used by attorneys to discredit a petitioner or Respondent and thus influence a judge to deny custody or visitation”.

I think that about sums it up as to why Satan has a special table reserved for lawyers!

Friday, 3 February 2017, 6:44 am
  • What is really sad is I am a woman and florida is a mother state I went through this situation similar to this but the child was a relative florida turned him right back over to his drug addict mother when she was released out of jail this is the worst state to obtain custody of a child if you are a father I am hoping the state does the right thing in this case and gives you your son best of luck to you

Friday, 3 February 2017, 3:02 am
  • Daniel, im so sorry you are being put through this. I know we all make mistakes and it takes a man to own up to them and pay your dues. I’ve seen plenty of fathers who are criminals and don’t give a **** about the well being of their children. You seem like a good man who’s trying your hardest to be there for your son. It breaks my heart to hear what your son said to you. It takes an evil, selfish, destructive, and spiteful b**** to put so much effort into robbing their own son of a father. I don’t usually say or do this, but I’m going to pray for you man. Keep fighting for your son. My father wasn’t perfect, but I was blessed that he fought to be in my life and im so grateful for the sacrifices that he made so he could be involved in my life. I wouldn’t be the man I am today if it wasn’t for the great father that I had. The system is so messed up in today’s society. Good luck Daniel and God Bless.

Friday, 3 February 2017, 1:35 am
  • Does anyone remember article on men being abused that was in rnrf few months back? This is emotional abuse if what father says is true – withholding a son from his father. Mom needs to grow up & stop brainwashing the son because it will come back to her in the future. The child needs to know his father!!!
    To Daniel, thankyou for being Man enough to let your son go back. I will pray for you & your son & your situation.

Thursday, 2 February 2017, 8:03 pm
    • exactly!!

Friday, 3 February 2017, 10:10 am
  • I don’t know… are you allowed to travel from state to state when you are felony probation with out letting your probation supervisor know? Quote: “Pasco County Sheriff’s office confirmed Daniel Wheeler is on felony probation,”

Thursday, 2 February 2017, 7:44 pm
    • I had a permit to travel signed by my po and her supervisor

Thursday, 2 February 2017, 11:14 pm
      • I knew the story was a little fishy

Friday, 3 February 2017, 9:34 am
      • Good luck man hope you get your kid back and she gets denied visit

@tom what happened to the log in with facebook button ?

Friday, 3 February 2017, 9:53 am
  • nice tr at Judge shopping by the lady….and the DEF in florida was wrong….it will work out….obviously mom is brainwashing the kid at 2…no daddy….hmmmm

Thursday, 2 February 2017, 7:05 pm
  • Your mother is a whore

Thursday, 2 February 2017, 7:04 pm
  • it’s always the kids who suffer!

Thursday, 2 February 2017, 6:47 pm