; ;

Arrest Made in Early Morning Shooting, Victims Tried to Help Woman Who Was Being Harassed

SPRING HILL – An arrest has been made in connection with an early morning shooting that injured two poeple outside a local bar.

According to sources, 42-year-old George Downey of 13443 Mandalay Place was taken into custody around 11:00 a.m. this morning, but his exact charges have not been released by officials.

Investigators are currently in the process of executing a search warrant at his residence on Mandalay Place.

The victims, Jose Alonzo and Xavier Ramos are in stable condition and are expected to make a full recovery.

Sheriff Al Nienhuis says the two victims attempted to help a woman who was interacting with the suspect and “Tried to defend her honor.” That’s when a “scuffle ensued, and shots were fired,” says Nienhuis.

Alonzo’s wife, Cristina, thanked the Sheriff’s Office for their “great work,” in capturing the suspect.

The victims have received an incredible outpouring of support from the community. Many who say the victims are kindhearted people with a strong faith in God.

We will update this story when new information develops.

CLICK HERE FOR ORIGINAL REPORT

Comments
  • It just so happened that my husband & I were in the trauma ER last night once this happened. We physically saw them come in. Although my vision prevented me from seeing the older gentleman shot, my ears heard it all. He sounded like a man that was only concerned with his wife and family and not the fact that he was just shot. He kept asking them, mind you this occurred within minutes upon his arrival while the entire staff was working to get him stable and prepped for surgery, “ I need my wife to know I’m here” and a few minutes into them working on him he asked if he was going to die”, which broke my heads so my husband & I immediately laid our heads to pray for him, and we did. This man reminded me about true love. He was laying there with multiple staff members working on him and preparing him for surgery and all he could talk about was wanting his family to know they were loved. I was very proud of the staff though because they were AMAZING at reassuring him he was going into surgery and they were going to take care of him.
    Reading this today I feel like prayers were answered and I am so happy they are expected to make a full recovery. God Bless.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 10:48 pm
    • Someone must of died cause they have a new charge of homicide/murder on him now any new news on this Tom
      Prayers out for the family’s and friends that were involved

Tuesday, 13 February 2018, 2:50 pm
  • After the plea bargain, he will plead guilty to accidental discharge of a firearm and disturbing the peace.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 4:13 pm
  • I hope this melon head piece of rots in prison for what he has done! Nothing wrong with having a night out with your wife having a drink at a local bar. Nothing wrong with defending a woman being harassed. But definitely something wrong with people today that resort to violence with a gun. A very young man with his whole life ahead of him was shot, and his stepfather trying to protect him. What is wrong with people? This is so sad and never should have went down like this. God bless Chelo & Cristina and their family during this tragedy.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 3:09 pm
    • Thank you for your reasonable, intelligent response. After reading alot of these responses I’m ashamed of much of the human race!! People seem so cruel to a woman because she was in a bar. I used to go once in a blue moon to have a drink in a bar and play a friendly game of pool. I WAS NOT A SKANK !!! Met some nice people to play pool with and have 1 or 2 drinks then go home ALONE. I will NOT do it in hernando county because people here ASSUME you’re no good. What has happened to them to make them so judgemental towards women??? GOD BLESS THE MAN AND HIS SON AND FAMILY. WE NEED MORE REAL MEN LIKE YOU ON EARTH-IT WOULD BE A MUCH NICER PLACE IF CHIVALRY WOULD MAKE A COME BACK. PRAYERS FOR YOUR SPEEDY RECOVERY. TO YOUR WIFE/MOTHER YOU ARE A LUCKY LADY WHO MARRIED A FINE MAN AND RAISED A FINE SON. THANK YOU!!!

Monday, 12 February 2018, 8:22 pm
  • His son was picking him up..he was not in the bar .

Monday, 12 February 2018, 2:46 pm
  • Not real smart GeorgeI just bought a jeep off you at the Chrysler dealship on #50 last month.Maybe i will be ready for another one in 20 years when you get out.Dumb azz.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 1:22 pm
  • To GMA AND HOW DID THOS HAPPEN, I’VE reread this story 3 times and NOWHERE DOES IT SAY THE VICTIMS WERE IN THE BAR.!!! The place looks to be in a strip mall type set up so I’m thinking the victims were in the parking lot and saw/heard an argument and came to the woman’s rescue. Also, I don’t think it’s against the law for younger to be in bar as long as they are NOT DRINKING OR SEATED AT the bar. They could sit at a table and get food but no booze.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 12:48 pm
  • Damn place is a rathole…it needs to be shut down! Crime has risen since this opened up!

Monday, 12 February 2018, 12:36 pm
  • OH GOD

Monday, 12 February 2018, 12:32 pm
  • Let me tell you something..I work with Chelo, and its no surprise he got injured while trying to help someone. Thats the kind of man he is. That saying ” give you the shirt of my back” was tailor made for Chel. Lol.. Unfortunately in this situation, Him and his son were unaware they were dealing with a P.O.S coward who only cares about himself! Chel has plenty of faith but him and his family need all of ours right now. He is a good hearted person that didn’t deserve what happened. Anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting him knows what I mean. My prayers are with you bro..but I know this aint gonna keep you outta the game long. You the unstoppable All-Star CHELO-MAN ! Born and bred fror greatness! Lol.. Much love bro ! See you soon….As for dude..Hope your ass rots in that 6×8 !

Monday, 12 February 2018, 9:30 am
  • If he’s such a God fearing man what is he doing in a BAR ??!!

Monday, 12 February 2018, 9:14 am
    • FUC…. stupid did you Chelo did you his family he the kind of man never go out with his wife he has the right to have a drink and that not mean he is a bad person. He has the right to hafun with his family. Because you belive in GOD like his he don’t need to in his home 24 hrs. Well i get he need to be in home so in that form people like you and george do not kill mens like. IDIOT.. IDIOt

Monday, 12 February 2018, 11:47 pm
    • I know right? Bible thumpers use the book as a convenience. They only pick the parts good parts to apply to their lives. I love the ones who praise Jesus while they’re passing a joint or getting drunk at parties. Having premarital sex then thanking “God” for their beautiful baby.

Wednesday, 14 February 2018, 11:16 am
  • Rapes ,shootings,overpriced wings,smoke so thick you cant breathe .wonderful place they are running there.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 8:14 am
  • Thank god chelo and Xavier are doing OK chelo is like family I’ve known him and his family over 20 years and they are good people who will do anything for anyone good job Hernando county sheriff’s department

Monday, 12 February 2018, 7:33 am
  • How was the son inside the bar? I believe he is a senior at Springstead High School.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 7:31 am
  • speedy recovery chelo..Gods got you homey.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 7:05 am
  • Chelo is the best man in the wold, and this N came to try to destroy him. You Downey are a trash like all you family. That is what they teach you in the Fraternity you are to kill innocent people you are no more than trash.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 2:36 am
  • Omg I know Jorge his a nice person always like to have a great time….

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 10:39 pm
    • Nice with a gun in his hand, he is a trash

Monday, 12 February 2018, 11:49 pm
  • That bar is nothing but hood rats…

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 10:29 pm
  • Downey your nothing but a scum bag no your a little boy with a gun i hope they use the law the way it is written 10/20/life

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 10:24 pm
    • You sound tough behind a screen and keyboard and tbh if you had a few drinks and felt threatened by two men coming at you I’m pretty sure if you had a gun you would do the same

Tuesday, 13 February 2018, 8:17 am
      • he idjit…how do nyou think downey made the woman feel….go f yourself wtih a .357 up your arse

Tuesday, 13 February 2018, 11:11 am
  • Chelo is a very respected man.. A family man.. Man of God..A Gentleman.. That many can learn
    from. ..God bless him and his beautiful family🙏🙏🙏

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 9:57 pm
  • Just the typical loser night in Springhill heads up kids that saying is true nothing good happens after midnight

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 9:54 pm
  • Did the shooting happen inside Delirium or in the parking lot?

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 9:13 pm
  • Defending her honor? With a hand gun? In a bar? Translation: Jealous someone else was hitting on the old slag.
    White knighting for skanks never ends well. Go MGTOW

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 8:47 pm
    • @so THAT’S where all the honorable ladies are: Please reread the article. The 2 MEN SHOT WERE TRYING TO DEFEND THE LADY’S HONOR not the idiot with the gun. Gunman was harassing her. Do you know het personally? DON’T BE AN ASS AND CALL HER NAMES EVEN IF YOU DO KNOW HER. CHAUVINISTIC PIG SIDE OF YOU IS SHOWING.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 7:19 am
      • Yes I’m a proud chauvinist. Not a bad thing. You should be too. I think you mean “misogynist”, There’s a big difference you hammer head. Seems you struggle with reading comprehension. Generally quality women aren’t found in the town dump, strip plaza, watering holes. If women want equality, let them defend their own honor. This is what happens when you try helping skanks.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 9:26 am
        • My prayers are with you Mr.Downey , My only advice to you sir is to watch the culture vultures you speak to. They were never your friends.
          Keep your head up and. STAND YOUR GROUND.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 4:58 pm
  • Goes to show thug POS can even live in nice neighborhoods!

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 8:29 pm
  • I moved here (from a suburb of Cleveland) to retire a little after 2 years ago. Now, with all the crime I’m wondering if I should go back home.

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 7:30 pm
    • Sugar mill woods up 19 Citrus county is safe and quiet.

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 8:32 pm
  • Get well soon chelo and prayers to your family⛪

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 6:49 pm
  • ANOTHER SPARKLING WIGGET

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 6:47 pm
    • Enzo you prob mow his lawn

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 9:48 pm
      • Your name suits you Mr. Lick,You’re virtue signaling while simultaneously insulting honest hardworking people. Chortle!

Monday, 12 February 2018, 6:19 am
  • Interesting how they can make such a speedy arrest on a black suspect, but the state’s attorney have to decide on if to arrest the white suspect Anthony, in the shooting death this month in Brooksville of a drug deal gone wrong.

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 6:04 pm
    • Playing the race card again I see.. keep race out of this. Their could be so many reasons why justice comes into play. Until you are in their shoes. Be quite. What goes around comes around. Karma is a bi%#h.

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 8:40 pm
      • There is only one reason he was arrested for standing his ground, and Anthony wasn’t. Anthony a white man killed a black man while dealing drugs, many witnesses. This gentleman a Black man, fearing for his life, being attacks by 2 men. Shot in self defense, and guess what?. He was arrested. Black and White issue. Never fails.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 4:43 pm
        • He was arrested because of the facts of the case, he was the aggressor.

Racism does exist, but it’s rarely from the cops, its in larger systems, juries perhaps, cultural and historical issues.

This race thing you are on in these two cases is unfounded and ridiculous.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 7:03 pm
    • So sad, do you happen to know anthony’s last name, the whole thing was a set up but not one person has been arrested yet ..

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 11:59 pm
      • If I did I would have posted it already. This brothers name, address plastered all over, yet they continue to cover up this murderer. Either he is an informant or has ties to LEO.
        Time will tell who are all involved.

Monday, 12 February 2018, 4:50 pm
    • I’m pretty liberal, but this is BS, the race thing has nothing to do with it. Dumb liberals who say this stuff are almost dumber than conservatives who think trickle down econ works. Get your head out!!!

Monday, 12 February 2018, 10:05 am
      • I must confess, I’m not a liberal at all. I love Trump!!! He’s is the best president we’ve ever had. A great man! Doing great things making America Great again!!!

Tuesday, 13 February 2018, 8:42 am
        • LOL!!! I really hope Trumps stuff works, it’s doubtful though as his policies are the opposite of what successful capitalist democracies do… And much closer to how the mid-eastern ‘taterships are run.

Tuesday, 13 February 2018, 11:54 am
    • I don’t know what I was thinking. Sorry folks. Sometimes I’m a moron and say stupid things.

Tuesday, 13 February 2018, 8:32 am
      • Maybe the shooter in Brooksville was an undercover cop making buys to find the major dealers in Hernando County. You never considered that, did you!

Wednesday, 14 February 2018, 9:01 am
  • Thank God these 2 guys are expected to survive! Good samaritans in every way.

Sunday, 11 February 2018, 5:46 pm