Boater Injured After Colliding with Channel Marker, Kayaker Captures Runaway Boat

SPRING HILL – Earlier today, RNRF reported a marine incident that occurred in the area of Bayport Canal that injured the operator and left the boat running astray.

Officials confirmed that a 16′ boat had struck a piling and caused the operator to be ejected into the water. The victim was rescued by three boaters who transported him to shore. The victim was taken to Bayonet Point Hospital with unknown injuries.

Marine Units with the Sheriff’s Office and FWC began searching for the runaway boat.

John Gagliano was fishing from his kayak when he witnessed the boat strike the channel marker and saw the victim being thrown into the water. While the other boater rescued the victim, Gagliano went after the boat that was still moving through the water. Gagliano says the boat made a few circles before it started heading towards Pine Island at full throttle. Gagliano kept an eye on the boat until it struck a sandbar about a mile from the incident. Gagliano rowed to the boat, strapped it to his kayak, and then brought it all the way back to the boat ramp. Gagliano says, “You can’t let a guy lose his boat like that… We fisherman are family.”

There is no word on the boater’s condition at this time.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, redistributed. ™2013 – 2018 RNRF Incorporated.

Comments
  • Why was the boater not using the safety strap for the outboard motor. I have a small boat with a 9.9hp outboard and it is imperative you always use the safety strap just for reasons like this. I am glad everyone is safe and the yaker went and saved the mans boat but please come on people use the safety strap on the outboards…………

Saturday, 10 November 2018, 7:01 pm
  • John…..you are a hero for how you reacted when you saw what was going on. Not too many people these days who even care……It’s great to see that people like you still exist and are willing to go that extra mile to help the boater and also the boat. Nice work!

Saturday, 10 November 2018, 10:46 am
  • Is your boat running better go catch it

Friday, 9 November 2018, 8:18 pm
  • Good job buddy hope hes alright….There gonna be replacing the markers anyway..🚤🚣

Friday, 9 November 2018, 7:05 pm
  • There are still good people in this world…nice going John Gagliano. Good Karma will be following you.

Friday, 9 November 2018, 5:16 pm
  • Mr. John Gagliano, you sir are a fine example of a good man and a good American straight up people looking out for people helping people xcetera you’re a good man! As for the boater and I made this mistake when I was young very young with my first boat which was a little aluminum jon boat it did not have a kill switch lanyard, thank God I never fell out because it wouldn’t have been good, you must have and wear a kill switch lanyard with any kind of motorized watercraft if you fall even down in your boat without falling out of it it kills the motor any jet ski owner or boat owner knows or should know this but it’s an absolute must do, I need boat weather console steering or tiller steering will usually run in circles if you fall out of it that’s running you over very hairy situation hopefully the boat owner recovers fully prayers to him and surely he will hopefully have a kill switch lanyard from now on

Friday, 9 November 2018, 3:28 pm
    • You are correct about Mr. John Gagliano. He is what America – the UNITED States – used to be. God bless him for his diligence and helpful spirit.
      ( By the way, Surfadude, it’s ETCETERA not xcetera. You got real close though. The abbreviation would be ETC. ( Not ect)

Friday, 9 November 2018, 8:32 pm
      • It’s not “etcetera.” It is “et cetera.”

Saturday, 10 November 2018, 12:41 pm
        • Hmm 2018, you’re correct. My finger hit the space bar on my cell phone but it obviously didn’t leave a space. Thanks for being my spell check.

Saturday, 10 November 2018, 6:48 pm
      • No reason to correct spelling issues. I understood he was abbreviating .. i knew it was incorrect but gathered he was shortening the word.. Main matter here is to pray for the boat owner and show John thanks for being a great man for being a hero for the boat owner..

Saturday, 10 November 2018, 2:53 pm
        • Obviously, Teresa Simmons, you didn’t read my original post where I did commend Mr. John for his actions and sent prayers to the injured boater. I just thought Surfadude would appreciate the info. I also accepted (GRACIOUSLY) my shortcoming of not proofreading before sending due to space bar not spacing between et and cetera.

Saturday, 10 November 2018, 9:40 pm
  • Honey,I shrunk the boat too! It’s just sixteen inches long now!

Friday, 9 November 2018, 2:42 pm