BREAKING: City Fires Brooksville Police Chief George Turner

UPDATE: 12:42 P.M. – Former Chief George Turner tells RNRF, “I was given two letters at 5:00 p.m. last night – Resign or be terminated. I didn’t resign,” says Turner. Turner goes on to say, “The City has been on a witch hunt for months. I have always taken the high road and will continue to do so.” Turner says he is pursuing legal options to address the issue.

BROOKSVILLE – While the fate of the Brooksville Police Departments hangs in the balance after Councilmembers voted to review options for a County takeover, City Officials made another shocking decision last night to terminate the agency’s Chief.

Officials have not commented at this time, but according to sources, Chief George Turner was fired at the end of business yesterday.

An official statement is expected to be released later today.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

RELATED ARTICLE: BROOKSVILLE POLICE

Comments
  • I must say that George’s men loved him. And as much as George and I disagreed. I had to respect the loyalty of his department.

Saturday, 17 March 2018, 12:42 am
  • Sounds like the city wanted to fire him rather than pay his pension after they disband the department and merge with the sherriffs office.

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 7:51 pm
  • Got some O’l Boy Network supporters here!

Sometimes it’s what is read between the lines that makes sense of the written ones.

I’m sure the Sheriff is behind this move.

That’s why all the supporters showed up to a site that clearly casts him as less than Noble.

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 6:56 pm
  • This would be a huge mistake for Brooksville to turn over the Brooksville Police Department to the Sheriff. He can’t handle the sheriff’s office much less take on another police department

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 6:40 pm
  • One has to wonder which is the better benefit one department for all or Leaf Brooksville alone and keep hco separate I don’t know which one’s better I don’t work in the field I know back when the fire department’s merged there was a lot of folks at odds and in disagreement of such, and response times was one of the major topics as was on the earlier story on this subject of dissolving this Police Department in forming one for the whole County, again I don’t know which one is better I personally know several firefighters who worked for Spring Hill and were opposed to the merger, anyway I hope he wasn’t forced out in a power grab type of maneuver if so that is corrupt and itself in that sucks but again I don’t know only God knows and those that are involved in it

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 4:37 pm
  • I can only hope that this is a good man which I give all peoples benefit of a doubt until I know otherwise, but simply put if this was a good man and did his job and there was no just cause for this this hopefully he takes the correct action

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 4:32 pm
    • Omg Dude this thread says ‘leave a reply’ not to write a book.

Saturday, 17 March 2018, 6:57 pm
  • All I can say is I know nothing about any of the facts in this case, nor have any knowledge whatsoever of any of the goings-on in this Police Department, if what one commenter said on here was true that he already had a foot out the door and was job shopping maybe he saw the writing on the wall and was trying to to prepare for his future which any of us would have done I’m sure, I know it seems kind of odd in the timing when the recent Rumblings in top story has been the Takeover of BPD by hco I find the timing rather peculiar I know that

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 4:30 pm
  • Who ever made this decision needs to go. This is the best example of the problems in our communty government, they in order to protect themselves fire the wrong people. Wake up residents

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 3:46 pm
  • What does the HCSO have to do with it?

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 3:29 pm
  • WOW…that’s a real shocker…..I would like to know the reason.

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 2:16 pm
    • I would like to know the reason as well. George Turner is a great guy. I had the opportunity to serve him for 18 months working as a waitress at Rooster’s Cafe.

Wednesday, 21 March 2018, 10:31 am
  • And yet another reason the entire City needs to be gone! Unbelievable

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 2:00 pm
  • He’s had one foot out the door since Jeannine left. When you are out job-shopping and don’t show up for meetings when the fate of the department is on the line, what do you expect. Unfortunately, Hankins is the next in charge and he’s not that bright and has his own garbage.

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 1:09 pm
  • Plus. Mr. Turner was making an enormous salary for such a small dept. He was not qualified for the job to start with. Before the City he was a New York Transit cop. How does this qualify one for a job as chief? This is just my personal opinion of course.

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 1:07 pm
    • Absolutely right. He made more than the Sheriff, whose agency is 10 times larger. No wonder BPD has money problems.

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 6:10 pm
      • If you did some research you would see that the sheriff makes far more than the chief.

Saturday, 17 March 2018, 12:59 am
        • Sheriff Nonuts needs to go. The deputies are now trying any way they can to arrest my sister and they recently trying to set her up and arrest her they are stalking her, I’m the lady fighting cancer and I was the big time thug that I abused 911 and they LIED on the police report. I walked in the dark street at 3:30 and they thought I was her, what a bunch of dumb azz losers they need to GO , I’ve got 3 year to sit back with my pop corn and watch them destroy themselves because they cannot obey the law .

Saturday, 17 March 2018, 6:11 pm
    • So he patrolled subways as a cop. Tell me that you wouldn’t accept the salary he did. He didn’t set his own salary.

Sheriff Al Nienhuis
      Education
      BS degree, business management, University of South Florida; MBA, University of South Florida, 2011; FBI National Academy, Quantico, VA, Class 197.
      Career
      Special agent, rising through the ranks to captain, Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco, State of Florida, 1989-2001; undersheriff, Pasco County Sheriff’s Office, 2001-2010; appointed Sheriff of Hernando County, January 2011; elected Sheriff of Hernando County, 2012; re-elected 2016.
      The ABT is the Florida state government agency which licenses and regulates the sale of alcoholic beverages and tobacco. It is part of the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR).

We have a business major who is running our department. Look at his record and tell me why he should be the sheriff. He is underqualified and the department shows it. He has failed the public miserably.

We need a Sheriff like Judd or Nocco that will clean this mess up, starting from the top and flushing all of the good old boys out.

Friday, 16 March 2018, 4:50 pm
  • The Broksville PD has nothing to do with HCSO. They are under the Broksville City Council.

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 1:01 pm
  • Well he didnt have Tonya Vacha to protect him. The scuttlebutt around the city was he and hers relationship if you catch my drift.

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 1:00 pm
  • That was a rotten thing to do. Just another of HCSO nasty politics… Sheriff NEEDS to go….

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 12:36 pm
    • The sheriff wants to expand his regime. More Power that way. Get rid of Him and the County problems will go with him

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 1:23 pm
    • You said “HCSO nasty politics” This has nothing to do with HCSO. This is the City of Brooksville. Totally different police department. Yes, it’s a rotten thing.

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 1:27 pm
    • This had nothing to do with the HCSO its the city of Brooksville. Think before you comment.

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 2:21 pm
    • What does the city council havw to do with hcso politicd they are two seperate entities and one has no control over the other

Thursday, 15 March 2018, 2:56 pm