BREAKING: K-8 on Lockdown After Suspicious Incident, Numerous Deputies on Scene

UPDATE: 5:06 P.M. – According to officials, Deputies checked the campus thoroughly and viewed surveillance tapes to learn that an individual scaled the fence as a “cut-through” to an area street.

The children were never in any danger.

UPDATE: 4:35 P.M. – The situation has been resolved and students should be released soon.

SPRING HILL – Dozens of Hernando County Sheriff’s Deputies have surrounded Explorer K-8, after sources say a suspicious person was spotted on school grounds just moments ago.

Deputies are currently searching the school and surrounding campus for the alleged suspicious person at this time.

We will bring more on this as it develops.

Comments
  • glad hcso responded with such effort and quickly. applauds to that. not like the school where the resource officer didnt engage the situation and the department that took long to respond and had faulty command staff. Seems our deputies took this seriously with out hesitation.

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 11:34 pm
  • James James yes for sure that is part of it no doubt no doubt I can current agree I don’t know the exact quick solution but I agree absolutely how damn sad we got all like kind of carry this or burden it on our back together we got to all deal with this together how sad

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 10:38 pm
  • It’s the drug problem. I see meth heads in my neighborhood everyday. Today at work some guy used the restroom and shot up. Came out 20 minutes later all fucked up.

We close restrooms at night because of this stuff. Drugs are out of control

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 8:38 pm
  • Everybody has their own ideas how about how to help or try to prevent the system how about this ……
    just a camera system that covers every damn angle square inch or foot of the school grounds and someone there 24/7 or during business hours watching these cameras and then the two deputies constantly moving and in and around school grounds in every direction with no absolute schedule or Rhythm that someone can pick up on and on top of that they are in constant with said camera operator when anything looks out of the ordinary to the camera operator it goes immediately to the deputies right away and boom boom I’m just trying to think of something simple here folks just an idea? LOL I’m no Einstein but it just seems there’s really got to be some common sense Solutions the stuff in this age of Technology there has to be a way to have immediate alerts when something funky occurs or whatever and it’s caught right away and those that need to be in the know first and foremost are aware I hope I make sense welcome to ideas and or opinions on what I said….

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 8:35 pm
  • Correction, I’ve been dealing with this since before 2008 and all these doctors are taught now is to drug people, and every single one they prescribe has another one behind it to counter the damn side effects of the other one and it’s atrocious the sheer volume of medications they give these people would make you f’d up trust me I know I’m sure there’s someone else on here who knows exactly what I’m talking about, either way I’m sure there’s many of us on here and all over the country that have enough common sense to figure out how to easily correct this issue and or threat

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 8:31 pm
  • Diane by the way I apologize I missed actually including your name you my above comment or below comment concerning getting people help like this and not just giving them head candy was pretty much to you and others here to Enlighten you what I see everyday anyway Diane your spot on

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 8:25 pm
  • And yes thank you hsco for keeping our babies safe!! And thank you tom for the quick release of information and updates!!

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 8:23 pm
  • Oh yeah by the way as far as the head candy for people with mental illness oh my God you hit it run out of the park but unfortunately they’ll be no positive change to that in the near future that I know of I’ve been dealing with the mentally ill family member since for 2008 and that’s all these doctors know and our talk to do is to drug drug drug drug drug these people I know this even if you have a slight mental illness if you drug you or they drug you the way they drug the mentally ill today you will be three times as bad then you would be normally without the drugs because they share amount they give you I see this first-hand everyday trust me I have a family member who is fully fully mentally ill and I have been dealing with it since before 2008 which is a very long time that’s all these quacks know…….. write script write script write script prescription prescription prescription effing disgusting

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 8:23 pm
  • Keep Guns out of wrong hands…Not everyone with a gun is gonna be a terrorist

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 8:20 pm
  • I’m curious ( parents ) did your daughters or daughter and friend actually see a gun or are they telling you or you telling us what they say they heard???? Just curious

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 8:19 pm
  • Dose of Truth you just spoke it good job !! You spoke the truth. Diane also spot-on good point well said and the truth again, this whole scenario is absolutely completely sad sad sad everyday something new something else wow, everyone’s Twitchy everyone’s on the edge everyone stressed everyone’s worried do you name it dear Lord please help us this crap has to stop!! Otherwise I can only say good job by staff and HCSO!!!!!

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 8:16 pm
  • Unrelated- But I see Hernando shut down plans for a new beach. This country doesn’t want anything new. Such a friggin joke. All they want is their pockets lined with money but nothing to make the county any better.Time to move the county seat to Spring Hill and get away from the good ole’ boys.

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 7:39 pm
  • But how will RNRF be able to spin this into a negative jab at the Sheriff or provide a link to the Dawn Center stories?

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 7:14 pm
    • Spin It, you need to shut the hell up, and learn some respect you jerk.

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 10:44 pm
      • Interesting how Spin It’s one sentence can push you to name calling right away. You’re not smart enough to know that your comment shows no respect.

Wednesday, 28 March 2018, 3:36 pm
  • Simple question = Why aren’t the doors ( all doors LOCKED) once kids are inside the school? Think that might help, or is it against some code or law they can’t be? Two deputies on property, ?? And a lot if people are feeling sorry for the bomb threat 17 yr old at Central. This is all messed up. Glad the kids are ok and nothing bad happened. Scary world!!

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 6:20 pm
  • HCSO….

I think they did a fantastic job today! Thank u for all u do. I was stressed though waiting to pick up my kids not knowing anything was torture. It’s pretty bad when I got information about the lockdown today on this site faster than the school notifying me.

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 5:46 pm
    • Totally agree!!! The school district never wants to tell parents what is actually going on, and then when they do say something, it is almost always a LIE!!!! Horrendous!!! Thank you Tom for keeping us informed!!!

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 6:15 pm
      • ParentHCCares…you nailed! The school administrators will NEVER tell the 100% truth on this as they are afraid of the fallout/flack from it. They WILL spin it to play it down. They always have. They don’t believe in total transparency, but yet they can’t understand understand why parents get so damn angry at them for all the lies and cover-ups. Smh…

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 10:51 pm
  • OT WHAT HAPPEND, someone came in through the YMCA door then think or something else and the suspicious person was on drugs and started comin up to the 3rd floor then banged on the doors, the principle seen this weird suspicious man and chased them down to the 1st floor and wasn’t arrested there, they are still there searching the school. I wasn’t there I am a student at EK8 AND IT WAS SCARY!but once we realized police had it under control we New we were safe!

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 5:21 pm
    • Troll! None of that happened.

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 6:38 pm
    • Explorer doesn’t have three floors.. obviously something you are saying is incorrect, stop posting crap like this, trying to make this even worse on the parents who actually had to sit outside and watch this situation

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 7:38 pm
  • THIs is mh school! The person was on drugs and came in through a YMCA door and then ran up to th 3rd floor and banged on the doors, a principle realized a suspicious person on campus then chased them down to the 1st floor, 5en arrested them, I was there and everyone was crying, very scary moment for explorer

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 5:16 pm
  • Glad the deputies were fast to act, Good for the school on the lockdown! Great job to all

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 5:10 pm
  • exactly what does a suspicious person look like ??

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 4:50 pm
    • Come on dont be dumb. Any person thats jumping a fence at a school is suspicious..

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 5:06 pm
      • NOT what happend I wasn’t i was there check Comment to s EE was hat happy pend I was i there

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 5:16 pm
        • I have read all three of your posts and I’m having trouble understanding them because your grammaris so bad. Damn, do you NOT know how to type it right, or is it a speech issue. You make no sense…smh.

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 10:58 pm
    • Like Tom. LOL

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 6:28 pm
    • to Parents, i posted before the 5: 06 update so no fence was mentioned in the initial post of Toms

Wednesday, 28 March 2018, 11:50 pm
  • Both of my daughters told us a guy jumped the fence with a gun…but of course the school and the county wants it hush hush…2 deputies now on campus and they still cant keep our kids safe?

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 4:48 pm
    • You have to consider too that other kids may have just said there was a gun. We’ll never know. But as you said, 2 deputies and they couldn’t stop this. Perfect example of why just naming guns won’t do anything.

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 5:16 pm
      • Sorry. Banning guns. Not naming.

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 5:30 pm
        • You people must be stupid. “ban guns” Well listen here,you cannot “ban guns” as it would be unconstitutional. It would simply violate your second ammendment rights. Maybe these People who have actual problems,should get the help they need instead of putting them o all this head candy . I can almost guarentee that there wold be less school shootings

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 5:49 pm
  • way to go HCSO!!!! acted FAST!!!

Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 4:47 pm