BREAKING: Local Surgeon Found Deceased at Oak Hill Hospital, Possible Suicide

BROOKSVILLE – A sad day for the medical community, after a well-known orthopedic surgeon may have taken his own life late last night.

According to sources, Doctor Steven Ortiz of West Coast Musculoskeletal Institute in Brooksville was found deceased inside his vehicle at Oak Hill Hospital.

The cause and exact time of death have not been released by officials but next of kin have been notified.

Dr. Ortiz came to Oak Hill Hospital in 2015, where he specialized in orthopedic spine surgery. He received his medical degree at Stanford School of Medicine in Stanford, California and completed his surgical fellowship at Twin Cities Spine Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Dr. Ortiz completed his residency at Stony Brook University Hospital in Stony Brook, New York.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

ortiz-1 ortiz-2 ortiz-3 ortiz-4 ortiz-5

Comments
  • I just found out today that Dr Ortiz has died, I called his office to make an appointment and was told of his death,i was devastated, and began to cry. He was awesome! He was the only Doctor that was willing to treat my pain, instead of handing me pills. I had pain from my si joint he hadn’t perform that procedure before but he couldn’t in good conscience recommend anyone else, so he learned the procedure, I felt so special I was the first one he performed that procedure on. My husband and I are so grateful to have known such a wonderful man, we both loved him, we just moved and he was going to come to a party we are having. He was not only my doctor but a wonderful friend. We will miss him! We both want to send our sympathy and best wishes to his family and friends.

Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 2:29 pm
    • Hi Susan, so sorry your just finding out. He is at peace now and we all will miss him very much. He was good Man and Dr. He was a very compassionate person. Loved what he did. Loved helping others. I will truly miss him. Thank you for what you wrote,it was beautiful. Thank you from my family.

Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 4:11 pm
      • Hi Tiffany, Thank you I’m devastated he was very special to me and my husband. I was wondering if you could tell me where he’s buried I would like to put flowers on his grave. If there is any thing I or my husband can do please let me know. I hope your family is welll you as well as Steve are in our prayers.

Saturday, 6 May 2017, 2:28 pm
      • We would like to honor Steve on a wall of honor for physicians we have lost. Please contact me: Dr. Pamela Wible http://www.idealmedicalcare.org/blog/contact/

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 3:12 am
  • I’m so happy Steve had so many friends and family that loved him. He was just a great man. We shared the same birthday and I always called him on our birthday. In September 18th 2015, he surprised me with a visit I didn’t expect and I’m so happy I have pictures on our birthday together all though I didn’t know that would be the last time I would see him. Spoke over texting after that day,he was so busy making people feel better I didn’t get to see him again. I will always miss him and our birthday call….our birthday I will light a candle in honor of my Beautiful cousin Steve. Love you cousin always.

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 11:08 pm
  • I grew up with him and his brother. They lived up the street from me in California. Can’t believe it. I feel so bad for his family and friends here in California.

Monday, 13 February 2017, 5:41 pm
  • I in just one of many that knew Dr ortiz and I’m a better man. Because of him. The best doctor I ever met and by the sounds of most comments on here others felt the same . a very kind and. Considerate man God healing hand on his family He will be greatly missed. Larry Barrows

Monday, 13 February 2017, 4:23 pm
  • So Sad, I’m still in followup visits with him from neck surgery. I had an appointment this Friday. Dr. Ortiz was the Best. My prayers go out to his staff, and his family.

Monday, 13 February 2017, 11:13 am
  • So sad…Dr. Ortiz performed my neck surgery in May of 2016, and was one of the finest, most caring, down-to-earth doctors I have ever known. My prayers and sympathy to his family.

Monday, 13 February 2017, 10:28 am
  • He loved his patients and loved helping people. We may never understand his reasoning.
    Steve was kind, thoughtful, hard working, extremely intelligent, always sensitive and compassionate towards others.
    We should all celebrate his life and be happy to have been part of it as I will always be.
    I couldn’t be a prouder Mother.
    He has his wings so now he can fly.

Saturday, 11 February 2017, 5:34 pm
    • So sorry for your loss. He was all you said. Was a fantastic Doctor to me, I was to see him this Friday when I got the call this morning to find another doctor. Prayers to you and all his family.

Monday, 13 February 2017, 2:13 pm
    • My heart goes out to you, Gloria and to A. Ortiz and the rest of the family. Steve will be missed by everyone whose life he touched. As you know, I was his first biology professor after he decided to return to school and become a doctor. He was, without a doubt, the best student I have ever taught. He was intelligent, funny, well-spoken, generous with his time, diligent, motivated, a leader of other students, and tenacious – my was he tenacious. I am glad that he fulfilled his dream, and I am sad that his time living that dream and helping others was cut short. He was a joy to have known, and he will be terribly missed.

Wednesday, 22 February 2017, 5:29 pm
    • Gloria I am so very sorry we have lost such a brilliant and compassionate physician. We would like to honor Steve on a wall of honor for physicians we have lost. Please contact me: Dr. Pamela Wible http://www.idealmedicalcare.org/blog/contact/

Tuesday, 7 November 2017, 3:13 am
  • Our prayers and thoughts to his family. My wife and I were both patients of Dr. Ortiz. Had an office visit with him last Friday, Feb 3, 2017.

Saturday, 11 February 2017, 9:04 am
  • To Dr.Ortiz’s mother and son: As others have written, DrOrtiz was the savior to many of us that suffered intense pain, not just through his expert skills, but with his compassion and warm caring way he treated all his patients. He had genuine concern for us and I can say he shared his generous hugs with me. I cannot say enough, as I truly thought the world of him. I will always see his smile in my mind. I am so sorry for your loss. God has wrapped his warm arms around this giving, talented , loving man. Bless you all in the Ortiz family.

Saturday, 11 February 2017, 8:08 am
  • So sad!!! RIP Dr. Ortiz.

Saturday, 11 February 2017, 12:03 am
  • Just so sad! RIP to a great person and MD! Condolences to his family and friends! ?

Friday, 10 February 2017, 11:10 pm
  • My heart and condolences go out to this family!! FYI Jana…Robin Williams also passed of LBD.

Friday, 10 February 2017, 9:41 pm
  • For the love of GOD Tina Nichils, please shut up. My sister in laws mother passed due to Lewy Body Dementia and certainly was not able to smile, pretend to be happy, and IF she had been a surgeon would not have been able to do the surgery. Actually she became very violent. So wrong guess on that one.For the family, you have my condolences and at the end of the day, IT IS NONE OF ANYONES BUSINESS WHEN RESULTS ARE IN, BUT THE FAMILY!! PERIOD. MOVE ON. Please let this family grieve without idiotic statements. Thank you. RIP DR. ORTIZ AND MAY THE MEMORIES OF HAPPiER TIMES HELP TO SUSTAIN YOUR FAMILY.

Friday, 10 February 2017, 7:15 pm
  • To just a regular Joe…I meant no disrespect. The family will want to have closer, the’ll want to know why?? As we all wonder “the why” when someone commits suicide. I said; he looks like a pretty big guy as though he may have been an athlete once and played contact sports. He may have had CTE or Lewy Body Dementia. That would give the family an answer as to the “why” or “how” this could have happened. Maybe there are no answers ?

Friday, 10 February 2017, 1:07 pm
  • Dr. Ortiz was wonderful. May he rest in peace.

Friday, 10 February 2017, 9:05 am
    • He was my doctor and friend, such an awesome doctor and human being, he was loved by everyone, and yes he took good care of himself. He was a fairly big man and I was always given a huge bear hug which I will miss!
      I find your comments highly insulting & uncompassionate to his family, Shame on you!!!!

Saturday, 6 May 2017, 2:48 pm
  • Since incredibly sad. He was a permanent decision on a temporary emotion. Prayers to his family <3

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 10:28 pm
  • Thursday, 9 February 2017, 7:48 pm
  • RIP Dr. Ortiz. You were a good man. You will be missed.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 7:13 pm
  • I had the pleasure of meeting this great man and wonderful caring Doctor. Because of him I can now walk and am able to manage my pain. My prayers and condolences go out to his family. RIP Dr. Ortiz

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 5:42 pm
  • Thank you for all your prayers. I have a broken heart but I know he belongs to God now and he is in peace. My son was a wonderful son all his life. I will miss him so much.
    His Mom

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 5:26 pm
    • I am a PA from stonybrook we worked together and became friends while he was here. He was a great guy and we had dinner last june when he was up in NY. He often spoke of his son and daughter and was immensely proud of both of them. I will miss hearing from him, he always had a smile on his face .

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 7:55 pm
    • To Gloria Ayala-I can’t even begin to imagine your pain and sense of loss. I’m offering prayers for you to somehow get through this most difficult time. Your son was a gifted surgeon and one of the most compassionate and caring physicians I have ever known. I’m sure you couldn’t have been more proud- you raised an extraordinary man. Please know that many colleagues, patients, family, friends and anyone whose life he touched, will remember him with respect and love. His legacy lives on in so many people and his life had immense meaning. Prayers for healing to all who mourn his passing. ??❤

Friday, 10 February 2017, 9:13 pm
    • Oh my goodness, my heart and sympathy to you regarding this exceptional caring man and son. May God hold you and your family in the “palm of his hand” through this trying time.

Friday, 10 February 2017, 10:47 pm
    • I am so sorry. He was the greatest man I know. I miss him so much

Saturday, 11 February 2017, 1:44 pm
    • I am so sorry for your loss my prayers are with you and your family, he was my doctor and friend. He did so much for me I will miss him dearly, whenever I saw him he always had a big bear hug for me. He learned a procedure for my benefit I was the first person he to have that procedure, he made me feel very special and he was to me He was going to come to my house party this month,.My husband and I would like to pay our respects to him but we don’t know where he was laid to rest He was so awesome!
      Susan Kreischer.

Sunday, 7 May 2017, 12:37 pm
  • To Tina Nichols why in the hell would you even post something like that I’m what difference does it make

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 4:59 pm
  • What a sad day. I never knew Dr. Ortiz to be anything other than caring, warm hearted and friendly. It was an honor to work with him and my heart breaks for his family and loved ones. My prayers are with you all.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 2:35 pm
  • I had a chance to work and spend time with Dr. Steven Ortiz since he started practicing in Florida. He was an honest and caring man. He spoke of his travels, diving and most of all, his family. RIP Dr. Ortiz. You will be greatly missed and always remembered.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 2:25 pm
  • Your dad was a amazing man. I worked for him in Melbourne an we became great friends… I’m in shock an can’t believe that he would do this… I will miss my weekly emoji text from him…everyone that truly new him loved him

Pat ??

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 1:18 pm
  • This a sad day. My husband was to have surgery next week. The family is in shock. As a behavioral health professional my sadness for unimaginable pain and suffering he must have been going through. My condolences to his family, friends, patients and staff. May he rest in peace.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 12:43 pm
  • This absolutely breaks my heart I am completely in shock … he was always so sweet n kind ❤️ My prayers are with his family and friends ? ??

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 12:11 pm
  • RIP and my sympathy to all that knew him.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 10:12 am
  • I had the pleasure of working with Dr Ortiz, in Melbourne Florida, very pleasant person, prayers to the family. RIP

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 9:37 am
  • I lost my best friend RIP sweetheart

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 9:34 am
    • So sorry

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 1:42 pm
    • Mike & I are so sorry to you Ursula – we understand more than you know.

Friday, 10 February 2017, 10:37 pm
    • Hi Ursula….I’m Steve’s cousin Tiffany. I’m so sorry for your loss,my beautiful cousin Steve will be missed greatly! We all loved him and we all were so proud of him and he was an awesome man. I hope in time you feel better…lot’s of hugs your way.

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 10:54 pm
      • I am so sorry for your lost to We all love him so much.

Monday, 20 February 2017, 3:43 pm
  • Dr. Ortiz was a lovely man who will be missed by all who knew him. Rest in peace

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 8:57 am
  • So sorry to the family for your loss!

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 10:44 pm
  • Prayers for everyone whose life he touched. He was the first person who believed my husband in regards to the pain he was in. He was an amazing man and doctor. He will be greatly missed.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 10:28 pm
  • So sorry for family and medical staff at Oak Hill.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 10:21 pm
  • Rest in peace, Dr. Ortiz. Condolences to his family.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 9:21 pm
  • Rest in heaven, Dr.Ortiz u were a great doctor u will be greatly miss.Praying for the family.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 9:16 pm
  • RIP My heart aches for his family My brother committed suicide in 1969, and I remember like it was yesterday So very sad

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 8:52 pm
  • Sheila shout up its news if tom doesn’t report on news around here who would its not a cover up Sheila its news im sure you can read about with HCSO

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 8:23 pm
  • A very sad loss, no matter the circumstance. Our thoughts and prayers to the family, friends, patients, and co-workers of Dr Ortiz. The world has lost a healer, giver, and advocate, a compassionate and caring human being. Rest in Peace.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 8:19 pm
  • Dr. Ortiz operated on last April. I waled out of the hospital pain free. He followed up the next day with a house call. We sople for a while. I told him he Washington my Angel for repatring my lower back. I was and still in total shock. God bless his soul and may God give comfort to his family. My family and I will miss him dearly. Verónica and Carlos Vega

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 8:15 pm
  • My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 7:55 pm
  • So sad praying for his family…..

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 7:44 pm
  • He was a great doctor my dad is now pain free because of the surgery he did on his neck. Prayers and love to the family this is so sad. Thank you for helping my daddy. Brandy falagan

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 7:41 pm
  • I am so sorry for all that this effected Surgeons and Doctors in general have such a hard and stressful life. May the angels of God guide him home.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 7:35 pm
  • curious as to the circumstances.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 6:40 pm
    • Does it really matter the circumstances.?

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 7:49 pm
      • yes, if he was depressed, maybe the health care industry could reach out more to others to prevent this from occurring again, its still suspicious so there could be more to it and help from the community could have information etc. theres easily over a hundred reasons I could state why the circumstance is important, why would you ask such if your on here reading about this if you would have slight consideration it wasnt of concern.. smh..

Friday, 10 February 2017, 7:51 am
        • Yes it matters!! it really matters – tragic

Friday, 10 February 2017, 10:10 pm
    • No offense but the circumstances are no one’s business.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 6:25 pm
      • no ones? really? no ones? so the family friends and the sheriff have no business? wow. as i say no shortage of stupid in this world. so just leave him in the vehicle and continue on with the day? you are the true definition of incompetent. when something like this happens its important to address the situation and I thank tom for reporting it.

Friday, 10 February 2017, 7:55 am
      • Your probably right T – but it’s the living that need answers – not you nor I but people that are close. Actually, there is nothing concrete, which leaves a big ????

Friday, 10 February 2017, 10:15 pm
        • actually i work with many of his fellow coworkers and pretty much heard the same reason from most of the physicians.

Saturday, 11 February 2017, 8:39 pm
    • And here we go again. You would be curious in such personal matters ‘food for thought’. Can you EVER mind your own damn business? Take your nosiness elsewhere, and hopefully you will find some respect and class along the way. SMH…

Friday, 10 February 2017, 3:48 am
      • you are on a news site saying mind your own business and reading a story about it. the irony.. how do you know its none of my business? for your information I work with surgeons and at a certain hospital on sr50. I know his friends and coworkers btw. you make assumptions and criticize me for something you know nothing much about. smh? did you hear anything rattle in there. i think mental health is important and needs to be addressed and not ignored bc unfortunately when you try to make it nobodys business things like this happen. the man worked in a field to make quality of life better and treating this as taboo is disrespectful if you can grasp the concept.

Saturday, 11 February 2017, 8:46 pm
  • My heart is aching for his family, friends, patients, staff and colleagues. As a PACU RN, we all loved him, as he took such good care of his patients and was always sweet and friendly to us. I saw him Monday, as he was putting orders in, I touched his back as I walked by and said, “Good Morning.” I wished I could have read his mind and heart and helped him in some way. So tragic. RIH Dr. Ortiz….Jenifer

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 6:20 pm
  • Thoughts and prayers for the family and friends during this time of loss and sorrow. If anyone reading this is struggling with severe depression and thinking about suicide…PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell someone and reach out for help. You are uniquely special and the lies that the devil is telling you need to be rejected by believing the TRUTH that people do care about you and God loves you more than you can imagine. He will carry you through your darkest hour and there are people who are not judemental and are willing to help and offer hope Also, Confidential help is available 24 hours a day at the Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 6:19 pm
  • Boy, you will just post anything to be the first one to get a story. You should have at least waited to find out the exact cause of death before trumpeting SUICIDE all over the place.Respect the man’s family for goodness sake Mr. Lemons. RIP

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:46 pm
      • I think it is disgraceful and disrespectful that this is blasted all over the web. This is not responsible news reporting or journalism; it is potentially hurtful gossip that has not been confirmed by any agency. I think this site has been true to its founder; full of half-truths and stories that contain self serving content. This website is not for our community; it serves only the ones who are putting the stories out there. We should not support this site by sharing in the drama that it endeavors spread.

Sunday, 19 February 2017, 4:20 pm
      • Have they found out anymore on him. He was my doctor.
        He was so nice. But the second time I saw him I had the feeling he was different than the first time I saw him. He looked worn.
        I just can’t believe he’s gone. Such a loss ! Prayers still for his family.

Monday, 20 February 2017, 3:37 pm
      • thank you Tom for reporting this very sad news.
        Today May 9th 2017 is the first time I’m hearing of this. my last appointment with Dr. Ortiz was January. I called his office this morning to schedule an appointment with Dr. O. for my husband…… when I was told he was no longer with the practice. They would not give me any information. I found you Tom on google just few minutes ago. if it were not for your report I would not have known. I am so saddened with this news of his lost. he was such a wonderful caring man/doctor. I had 4 spine surgeries before I met doctor Ortiz. He tried so hard to help me but due to my prior surgeries and so much scar tissue on the cord, there was not much that could be done. He even called me at home in January to tell me how sorry he was that he couldn’t help me. said I was the first he was not able to help. and he felt so bad about that. I told him how grateful I was for all his hard work in trying.
        he truly was a good soul………Doctor Ortiz was one of those Doctors who truly cared about his patients. So SAD…..the world lost a good one. However worlds loss….Heavens gain.

Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 5:46 pm
  • My condolences to the family, friends & loved ones.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:41 pm
  • Rest in peace, Steve. I am glad we were friends.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:28 pm
  • Prayers to the family

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:25 pm
  • This was my father and just want to say thank you for all your prayers. This is a hard day.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 4:49 pm
    • To the Son and the rest of your family. My heart goes out to you and your family. I lost my sister in September to similar circumstances. Stay strong and close to family and friends. So many emotions and unanswered questions. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:31 pm
    • Love and prayers coming to you and your family A Ortiz. God be with you. Your father was a fine man. RIP!

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:32 pm
    • I’m so sorry for the family of Dr. Ortiz. He performed my spinal surgery in November. What a gift he had! I always thought of him as the “gentle giant” due to his stature. RIP Dr. Ortiz. Love to your family and the staffs of Oak Hill and WCMI.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:40 pm
      • I just seen Dr Ortez on the 1st and was scheduling my surgery. He laughed and said I forgot how tall you were. We could see eye to eye, he shook my hand and saidcsee you in a couple weeks. Lets get you fixed. I’m praying for the Ortez family. He was one of the kindest Dr’s I’ve ever met.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 8:37 pm
    • He was a great man, I worked with him daily! So sorry for your loss, you and the family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:48 pm
    • My condolences… I’ve been his hairstylist since 2015. This news breaks my heart. He had a 5:30 appointment with me tonight.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:49 pm
    • I am so very sorry.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 6:25 pm
    • So sorry for your loss! My heart and prayers are with you all.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 6:27 pm
    • I worked very closely with him in the operating room….He was a wonderful man & send you and your family my deepest condolences. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 6:31 pm
    • A. Ortiz I’m so very sorry for your loss. May God bless you and your family.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 6:36 pm
    • I’m so sorry for your loss. No matter what other people might say negative it’s not right of them. May your after RIP and just remember if it was that he took his own life because of depression he was still a good man. Depression is a hard thing to deal with especially if you don’t talk to someone about it. Believe me I live with it everyday. Again I’m sorry about the passing of your father and I will pray for your family.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 7:46 pm
    • So sorry for the loss of your Father. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. So tragic. May you find peace.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 8:00 pm
    • Dear A. Ortiz. Your dad was an amazing man. He was my surgeon. His manner put me at ease even though I was in pain and experiencing anxiety. I won’t forget him. Please share my sympathy (typed through tears) with your family. My heart breaks for you all. May your pain gradually be replaced with memories of happier times. Much love.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 8:33 pm
    • Thoughts and prayers to you and your family at this very sad and difficult time. Steve was a good man, and a wonderful person, and I will miss him. We worked together during his fellowship in Minneapolis, and I know that he was well-liked and respected by everyone. We all have fond memories of our time together. Rest in peace, Steve. You were loved, and will be missed.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 9:25 pm
    • Prayers, I’m so sorry for your loss

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 10:32 pm
    • So sorry for your loss. He was love and respected by his staff and patients.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 10:36 pm
    • My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family sweetheart. May he Rest in peace. .. he has earned his wings and he will soar.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 11:22 pm
    • A. Ortiz. I was friends with Steve and worked with him In Melbourne and oak hill. When the time is right for you, give me a call. 3218636026. Joe P

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 7:39 am
    • I am so sorry for your lost he was great man and best friend Life won’t be the same without him

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 10:54 am
      • I can’t help myself Ursula by saying something, but Mike spoke to you & he was glad you picked-up, he didn’t expect it, we found out from a neighbor. We’re still shocked. There was something about him that made him special, actually all involved. My deepest sympathies to his son, you, staff. Very, very sad, Prayers for him, family and you.

Friday, 10 February 2017, 9:52 pm
    • Our heartfelt condolences to you and your family. Your Dad operated on my husband in November. We are honored to have known him and to have been cared for by him. He was a truly caring and compassionate man and a gifted surgeon. We pray for healing of your hearts and that with time your pain will be eased by warm and loving memories of special times with your Dad. You are in our thoughts and prayers.??

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 2:03 pm
    • I had the honor of working with your dad in Melbourne. He was warm, friendly and sincere. We all loved him because he treated everyone with respect. I am beoynd saddened at his death. I am praying for you and your whole family that God would grant you His peace that passes all understanding and comfort you with the love and precious memories of your father. God bless and keep you.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 2:45 pm
    • Our deepest condolences to you and the family. The Oak Hill Hospital community is shocked and saddened by this news. The saddest part is that no one saw it coming. No signs at all. He will be greatly missed.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 4:51 pm
    • A. Ortiz my husband Doug and I became friends with your dad while he was in NY. I believe we met you at his wedding. He was a regular at our house for football Sundays and saw him most recently in June when he was in NY. He always spoke of you and your sister with so much love. We are heartbroken to hear this news and are praying for you and all your family. If you could please let us know about services we would appreciate it. my cell 631-219-1964
      Diane M.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 8:55 pm
    • Your Dad was to operate on my husband on the 20th. When we met with him we were so comfortable with him. He cared about his patients. That was so obvious. Our prayers are with your family

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 10:29 pm
    • A Ortiz. Your dad was my co intern at stony brook for many rotations. Although we lost touch after moving from New York, I can tell you he was a wonderful physician, a respectful man, and a true friend. I am shocked to hear this. He will be deeply missed. May God rest his soul.

Sunday, 12 February 2017, 11:35 pm
    • So very sorry!!! I didn’t know him, but I went to another Dr. there, and I heard such wonderful things about your Dad…You and your famiy ar in our Prayers!!!!

Wednesday, 1 March 2017, 10:54 pm
    • I’m so sorry. You don’t know me but me and my husband set your mom and dad up on a date years ago. My husband rob Abney worked with your dad in the fire protection .. and I worked with lisa .. your mom. I’m so sorry. Your dad was such a good man. Prayers to you. If you ever read this I would like to get in touch with your mom. My name is now lisa Marie Savas and she can find me on fb.

Sunday, 19 March 2017, 10:10 pm
    • Hi I was a patient and friend he was an awesome human being, I was devastated to find out he’s gone. He helped me so much with my back I was supposed to see him in June. I needed to see him sooner and called for an appointment thats when I found out he was going to come to a party we are having soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I miss him so much, it hurts to not know what happened to him, reading all these comments where people are speculating what happened. If you could offer anymore info i would so appreciate it. I will send my email if you could let me know anything.
      Susan kreischer

Wednesday, 10 May 2017, 4:18 pm
  • Was he one of the doctors that was getting taken to court for malpractice? There were a couple of local doctors who were getting sued. Its a very sad day when for whatever the reasons someone, especially a man of his caliber, decides to take their own life. Prayers to the family.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 4:43 pm
    • He actually was trying to leave the practice because he didn’t want to get involved the malpractice that was occurring and they would not let him leave.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:24 pm
      • A. Ortiz, my husband & I had the pleasure of knowing your dad for a couple years. He was a amazing man & touched so many hearts!! Our prayers go out to you and your family. May he RIP

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 8:23 am
      • Those in the know, are appalled and disgusted. He was a good man

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 8:24 am
      • Sir you and ur family have my deepest condolences. I respected Dr Ortiz to the fullest. My prayers are with you and your family…RIP Doc.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 12:14 pm
      • Our heartfelt sympathies go out to you & the rest of your family. It was our pleasure to have him as our tenant here and although that was supposed to be our role, he felt more like a friend and even a family member. He and his wonderful smile will be sorely missed.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 6:35 pm
      • A. Ortiz. We are so sorry to hear about your dad. My Husbands family was neighbors with his family growing up and he was a friend of my husbands. Please tell your family that the Vargas’s are sending you all prayers and good thoughts.

Friday, 10 February 2017, 1:15 am
      • Our condolences to you and your family. I work at NPR Harley Davidson. Dad bought his bike from us. It was a pleasure to know him.

Friday, 10 February 2017, 6:38 am
      • A. Ortiz. I knew your father before he ever became a Dr. , and he was honorable when he was in the fire protection business with your grandfather Fred and your Uncle Chris. Both me and my father worked with your dad and he was a great guy. He used to talk about quitting work and going back to school. We were very proud that he did it because he had a wife, 2 small children and a home mortgage at the time. Your dad was an awesome guy even before he became a doctor, never forget that !!!!!!

Sunday, 12 February 2017, 1:11 pm
      • I am so sorry for this he did surgery on my back in Dec and I am much better and he was so caring and just can’t understand his thoughts he was very genuine. May he RIP Gonna miss him so much. very well liked Dr.

Sunday, 12 February 2017, 1:52 pm

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 10:34 pm
  • so sad ..he had a great job and still not happy with his life ..so so sad 🙁

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 4:39 pm
    • A person can have everything thing they want in life and can still be depressed. Depression is not something someone wants to have it just happens. People don’t wake up and say I’m going to be depressed today. People who are depressed may not want friends,family and Co workers to know about it so it can get worse from holding it in. Take this from someone who suffers with depression daily. It’s not easy. RIP to this man and to his family.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 7:36 pm
      • This is so true!!!!! with depression and anxiety you really don’t need a reason..You JUST ARE !!!!

Wednesday, 1 March 2017, 10:50 pm
  • Can’t believe you posted this..guess you only care about money and advertisements..this is something that should not be put on here..absolutely disgusting Tom!

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 4:36 pm
    • Not the place and time to put your views or opinions. This story is a matter of fact and Tom is reporting as such. You seem to be the only one who has issues with this news, even his son commented and was grateful for the pouring of love. Stop complaining and send some love to that family.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 5:39 pm
      • Well said Paul.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 10:07 pm
        • i agree, well said.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 8:43 am
      • Thank you Paul.

We are shocked. My husband was his patient and he helped him. Kind, considerate and concerned every step of the way.

Our most heartfelt sympathies to his family, staff, co-workers and friends.

Friday, 10 February 2017, 8:19 pm
    • Really?

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 6:14 pm
    • Tom reports news. This is news. Very sad news, but it’s news. Tom was not disrespectful in the way he reported it.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 6:50 pm
    • I thank Tom for writing this and letting us know that this has happened. Such a loss to our community. Prayers for his family, coworkers, friends and those who he has been able to touch the lives of. His suffering is over, sadly. May Dr. Ortiz rest in peace and may Tom continue to keep the community informed.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 7:09 pm
    • With all do respect Sheila, this undoubtedly a tragedy in our local community but he touched many peoples lives and had it not been for Real News Real Fast we would not even have known about this tragedy, we were to see him today. We lost a great man, physician and member of the community. Prayers for all effected.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 9:48 pm
    • Really Sheila? Were it not for Tom no one would have reported his death. Leave Tom alone…the man is a REPORTER. In case you didn’t know they REPORT the NEWS. A prominent surgeon dying in our hospital parking lot is news. Toughen up buttercup or don’t read the news. In case you hadn’t noticed, it’s mostly bad lately.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 10:06 pm
    • This was on WXJB too. So sorry about your loss.

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 7:03 pm
  • Prayers for his family.He looks like a pretty big guy, I wonder if he ever played football or other contact sports.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 4:10 pm
    • Because that’s important

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 11:36 pm
      • could be….

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 7:56 am
      • Although sort of irrelevant, maybe she was thinking about concussions and all the football players who have done the same. Still very sad

Thursday, 9 February 2017, 8:08 am
  • Prayers for the family so sad ??????

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 4:07 pm
  • The pain and the demons he must have dealt with his entire life are over with. It’s a silent pain and a silent killer. Rejoice in the fact that his suffering is over with.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 3:55 pm
  • He was my surgeon just in December. I loved him. Such a kind and compassionate man.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 3:54 pm
  • Prayers for his family and friends. Tragic

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 3:51 pm
    • He was such a wonderful doctor. A real humanitarian. My husband is pain free because of him and the Lord. He will be sorely missed…our love and prayers go out to the family, the staff and everyone else’s life that he touched…

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 4:09 pm
  • Prayers for the family,patients,staff and for his soul.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 3:29 pm
  • This is so sad. It’s even more sad that no one around him could see that he was that depressed to kill himself. If that’s what happened. Prayers to his family…

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 3:22 pm
    • Yes.. just me .. DEPRESSION is so real.. And it can easily be a SILENT “HAPPY” if you dont understand tge process… Praying for the family

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 3:51 pm
  • Prayers To All

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 3:16 pm
  • Sad day in the healthcare community. Prayers to all.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 3:15 pm
  • My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, staff, and staff Oakhill Hospital. DR, you have earned your wings now soar above us. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 3:12 pm
  • I cant understand why. But maybe it is not for me or anyone else to understand.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 3:01 pm
  • Prayers to all

Wednesday, 8 February 2017, 2:33 pm
    • RIP Doc I was looking forward to the bike ride you wanted me to show you the good places to ride to arouND here. I was planning on you helping me. I wish I knew you were depressed I have been treated for PTSD in the past . You will be missed my prayers go out to your loved ones and staff , God bless you. This is sad.

Wednesday, 15 February 2017, 11:03 pm