BREAKING: Mother and Two Children Struck by Car, All Three to be Airlifted

UPDATE: 4/1/2016, 6:18 P.M. – The Florida Highway Patrol has just released a preliminary report regarding today’s accident.

According to officials, 26-year-old William Cameron Perkins was driving his 2002 Jaguar southbound on Neff Lake Road, when he became distracted by a dropped cigarette, confirming earlier speculation. As result, Cameron’s vehicle struck 35-year-old Lacey Thomas and two of her three children – a 1-year-old boy, and a 3-year-old girl. Their 6-year-old sister was not struck by the vehicle. All three victims are listed in critical condition and have been airlifted St Joseph’s Hospital in Tampa.

BROOKSVILLE – A mother and two young children have been struck by a vehicle in the area of 3330 Neff Lake Road. Fire Rescue is on the scene and are requested three helicopters to respond, due to the extent of the injuries.

Both children are reportedly unconscious at this time. The mother is conscious and breathing.

According to our sources, the driver of the vehicle dropped his cigarette and struck the three pedestrians.

We will continue to update this very tragic story as it develops.

ped Interior Large copy

Comments
  • Tom, could we get an update on this case? I was told yesterday that all charges against him were dropped.

Wednesday, 8 June 2016, 12:11 pm
      • ok i will check too

Friday, 6 October 2017, 8:07 am

Go to fund me page and help this family out. Spenser is in icu still. Family has a long time of dealing with just the baby’s injury. This so effects everyone in the family for years. Please pray for them and help them out.

Monday, 18 April 2016, 2:26 pm
  • The 4 yo passed away and the 15 month old is in icu this POS 26 yr old boy destroyed 2 family’s by driving a car with no valid drivers license and no registration on the car he was driving he is in jail and I hope in Gen pop I pray every day for this family to heal and that the 6 yo that saw her family mowed down to stop having nightmares William will get his day in court and he won’t be able to lie like he did at the scene the truth always comes out in the end lacey is only 26 not 35!! God put your loving arms around this family n send angles to help us all!!!

Monday, 18 April 2016, 11:31 am
  • And everyone call the state attorney in Hernando county…. 352- 754-4255… Criminal vehicle homicide… And his wife knew it and let him drive. Anybody who knew that they all need to go to jail… Aiding and abading ….

Tuesday, 5 April 2016, 12:07 pm
  • Hey, I’m supporting this fundraiser, please have a look – ‘Thomas family’ https://dm2.gofund.me/rpx45rd8

Tuesday, 5 April 2016, 11:37 am
  • Everyone please pray for them… This is my son and his wife Lacey… My grandkids. Ava didn’t make it… Spenser is in critical condition still. Any help is in needed too

Thomas family…. Gofundme

Tuesday, 5 April 2016, 11:33 am
  • Stubbs and Tone, you are two real pieces of ****!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, 5 April 2016, 8:42 am
  • Nicole Wisner…
    You say, “Keep you commit to yourself.” Very valid point.
    But then, you need to keep your Prayers to yourself.
    I get it. you don’t want o hear others b***h,
    But I don’t want to hear your Prayers. So pray to yourself, not Tom’s forum please..

Monday, 4 April 2016, 1:47 pm
  • what is illegal is his littering of a cigarette! yea as petty as is sounds everyone who smokes throws these butts still burning out their window and that my friends is littering and in some cases arson as you start a brush or woods fire with that cigarette! stop and look at an intersection how much littered cigarette butts are laying around its an eye sore! so had he just put the cigarette butt in a can in a cup holder or ash tray where they belong this would not have happened.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 9:58 pm
  • Cigarette smoking = STUPID dropping the cigarette while driving = STUPID driving with suspended license =VERY STUPID if its true that one of the children has died then he needs to spend the rest of his life in prison. That will save us all from another STUPID CARELESS DRIVER !

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 6:29 pm
  • https://www.gofundme.com/rpx45rd8 go fund me page for the family

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 2:30 pm
  • He plowed thru a family because he is irresponsible and has no common sense. How about if you don’t have a valid drivers license you don’t drive! And if you drop your damn cigarette. ..pull over safely and get it. Anyone who says. ..I spilled a drink or dropped something and they kept driving putting others at risk are just a special kind of stupid! Wtf validates a burn in your car or a spill as a reason to drive recklessly….this loser should be in jail for manslaughter or homicide. How about you don’t smoke in your car! Stupid ass no responsibility taking low lifes!! Let me tell you. ..if some Dirtbag ran my family over because of a cigarette or any other weak ass excuse. ..they will hope they end up in jail. It will be safer I promise.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 2:24 pm
  • Let God’s Perpetual light shine upon them in their time of need

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 1:37 pm
  • This was a senseless and unnecessary accident resulting in the possible loss of an innocent life and serious injuries of the other victims.

I’m not familiar with this stretch of road, so perhaps someone with that knowledge can assist here.

Are there sidewalks along this road?

It seems to me that in general, sidewalks are not automatically included along streets, in this county. Granted the recent improvements along SR 50 and US 19 have included many miles of what have dubbed ‘sidewalks to nowhere’; yet sidewalks in areas with schools and housing are more often than not, absent.

Most areas even lack curbing, which would help help preserve the condition of the roadways.

This doesn’t in anyway lessen the responsibility of a distracted and or negligent driver. However it would appear to be another instance where a tragedy might have been avoided had there been a proper sidewalk for the benefit and more importantly, the safety and well being pedestrians.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 12:54 pm
  • I also echo Eskimo Boat. This is the dude who hit the people while claiming he dropped a cigarette. Truth me known, he burned himself after he hit these humans and is making excuses, just like his criminal wife Jackie.
    This whole group of people are crazy and nothing but drug abusers with records.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 12:30 pm
  • Eskimo Boat Ditto to ALL you posted, He needs to be put UNDER the jail, No sympathy for him, only for the ones he mowed down. Prayers for this family,I can’t even imagine.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 11:35 am
  • So sorry for the loss of your child. May God bless you and be with you in your time of need. Praying you and your other children recover quickly. This man needs to be arrested for vehicular homicide. Driving is a privilege not a necessity and should be taken from anyone who decides to do anything other than drive and pay attention behind that wheel. All lives matter so do the right thing behind that wheel.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 11:09 am
  • @tone… They were walking against the traffic on the side of the road. Which is what your suppose to do. So clearly it was the drivers fault…

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 10:28 am
  • Omg I am praying for them to be healthy

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 10:02 am
  • The guy who hit the lady and her kids is the husband of Bethia Lynn Politis’s best friend who has been commenting on the story about Bethia.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 9:57 am
  • The drivers wife is on facebook upset about all the nasty comments asking for empathy for her husband. So be nice. He is apparently a good guy…. With no driver’s license…. So the insurance won’t cover any bills for the three helicopters and trauma centers. Not only did he mow down a family but leaves them with the bill too. He has to live with that the rest of his life. Poor Cameron to have to deal with nasty comments. Unreal. Prayers for the victims. Jail for the driver. Stfu for his wife.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 9:28 am
    • Eskimo Boat, I like your style. I agree 100%

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 11:53 am
  • I would like to know why he didnt call EMS for this family

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 8:58 am
  • Prayers for the Family, all I have to say is OK dropped a cigarette think be safe and stop your car pull over safely and get your cigarette and look know one gets hurt common sense not stupidity, cause look what happens to a family with stupidity

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 8:12 am
  • Hasn’t the sheriffs office ever seen the movie GATOR, that’s where this driver needs to be taken!

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 5:32 am
  • @Tone this happened on a dead end street where there is hardly any traffic other then the people that live on the street…they were outside of their house…it’s not uncommon for any of us to walk around our street

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 2:00 am
  • Cigarettes arent illegal and if thats true then its a tragic accident

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 12:51 am
  • Nicole you don’t know me! So don’t try to! I’m entitled to my own opinion and if you don’t like it, then too bad. Theirs a mother and her children that are fighting for their lives. And why only direct your comment towards me? I wasn’t the only one with an opinion.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 12:43 am
  • Okay I can’t sit back and read all these do gooders comments anymore. I have dropped a drink in my lap while driving and let me tell you I was looking down as anyone would. Then trying to get it off of me and my seat. I have also dropped a cigarette in my car and of course you are gonna try and find it. If you don’t I am pretty sure there will be a burn or a fire. So please everyone sit down and drop something that is burning in your car while driving. Thus I also don’t see anything about him being under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The last time I checked cigarettes don’t impair your judgment unless it falls in your lap.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 12:40 am
  • Be interesting to find what side of the street they were walking on. If they were suppose to be on the other side they wouldn’t have got hit. Stop bashing the driver so quickly, you could have just as easily been distracted if your bible slid of the seat.

Friday, 1 April 2016, 11:47 pm
  • @ Nicole Wisner – Don’t fret they will draw blood for a drug test. Anytime there is serious bodily injury they have to…

Friday, 1 April 2016, 11:41 pm
  • Jennifer he admitted to dropping a cigarette…who are u to judge or make comments about doing a drug test that it would be more than a cigarette? Cant people just have faith that the family will be ok and stop accusing other people of ****. Or just keep your comment to yourself. Better yet do yourself a favor and pray for the family and yourself as well obviously you need the prayers as well…praying for the family and you

Friday, 1 April 2016, 11:03 pm
  • Everyone blames the driver. Not for nothing you are suppose to walk against traffic. Where were they walking?

Friday, 1 April 2016, 10:37 pm
  • per fhp site this is a poss fatality…. sad to hear a life is lost over a cigarette. driver should be charged with vehicular homicide

Friday, 1 April 2016, 10:09 pm
  • This is my cousins, no joke. Everyone please keep them in your prayer please…

Friday, 1 April 2016, 9:31 pm
  • Sending prayers!

Friday, 1 April 2016, 9:04 pm
  • Shirley p. Please pray for this mother and her precious little children . this was not a pretty sight that i want soon forget

Friday, 1 April 2016, 8:28 pm
  • Prayers!!

Friday, 1 April 2016, 8:20 pm
  • people really dont think. youll see people smoking a cig, talking on the phone while occasionally taking a sip from a soda, taking some bites out of a sandwich, while messing with the radio, taking a moment to text message, and many times under the influence of medications, alcohol, or d.w.h.u.a.

Friday, 1 April 2016, 8:02 pm
  • praying for everyone ! so sad

Friday, 1 April 2016, 7:52 pm
  • William Perkins has a pretty lengthy criminal history. This probably won’t keep him from sleeping at night.

Friday, 1 April 2016, 7:39 pm
  • Sadly, this driver has had his license suspended numerous times and was drivijg without a license today. Why is he not in jail? I have just been informed that one of the children died. I am so sorry for this family. May God bless the others and heal them.

Friday, 1 April 2016, 7:39 pm
  • Tom, thanks for the update. Our entire family is praying for them.

Friday, 1 April 2016, 7:32 pm
  • All because of an effin’ cigarette!! Beyond disgusted!!!!

Friday, 1 April 2016, 7:07 pm
  • Bet if you do a drug test it was more then a cigarette!

Friday, 1 April 2016, 7:02 pm
    • I was thinking the same thing. Irregardless, God be with that mother and her babies.

Friday, 1 April 2016, 8:30 pm
  • Prayers for this mother and children, another senseles tragedy, by a careless driver.

Friday, 1 April 2016, 6:34 pm
  • Another helicopter. God bless them!

Friday, 1 April 2016, 6:33 pm
  • One of the helicopters just flew over my house, 6.30 pm!

Friday, 1 April 2016, 6:31 pm
  • Thank God one of our school bus drivers was there and called for Emergency. Praying for this family.

Friday, 1 April 2016, 6:08 pm
  • Sending prayers to all involved!

Friday, 1 April 2016, 6:00 pm
  • Praying for all of them

Friday, 1 April 2016, 5:50 pm
  • Drinking , Smoking, eating, texting, on the phone,, Can you say “Distracted Driving”?

Friday, 1 April 2016, 5:36 pm
    • I hope that the driver was drug tested. He’s a known user.

Saturday, 2 April 2016, 9:52 am
  • Wow, hope these kids and mom will be ok, not much traffic on that road. Tom please keep us informed. Thanks

Friday, 1 April 2016, 5:29 pm
  • listening now on the radio

Friday, 1 April 2016, 5:27 pm
  • We just prayed for all these people and all involved…. God be with them all…. ???

Friday, 1 April 2016, 5:23 pm