BREAKING: One Dead in Single Vehicle Motorcycle Crash

UPDATE: 5/26/2016, 7:24 A.M. – The Florida Highway Patrol has identified the deceased as 58-year-old Randy Dale Gainey of Sherrills Ford, North Carolina.

According to reports, Gainey was traveling eastbound on Shoal Line Blvd and failed to negotiate the curve. Gainey attempted to break but struck a signpost and was ejected from the motorcycle.

Gainey died at the scene from injuries sustained in the crash.

Alcohol is not suspected to be a factor, according to officials.

ORIGINAL REPORT

WEEKI WACHEE – There are reports of a fatal motorcycle crash that just occurred in front of 7386 Shoal Line Blvd.

Sources say the victim is a male in his mid-50s and that he is not conscious or breathing at this time.

He was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, according to witnesses.

The location of the accident is a sharp curve near the intersection of Richard Drive.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

Anon 1 map 1

Comments
  • Deeply saddened that my brother and I have lost our father. My family greatly appreciates all the thoughts and prayer at this time of grief.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 10:38 pm
    • Deeply Saddened? I knew your father for years and shared many memories with him and his family. I was at his wake and his funeral and you and your brother should be ashamed of yourselves. You both walked around with shit eating grins on your face and shot mean looks at “his ” family. Those people knew and loved him and shared many happy memories with him and they deserved more respect than what you gave. It wasn’t a social event. Your brother or your husband couldn’t even carry your father to his last resting place. Both didn’t even look at the young men who did carry your father while shaking their hands. You should be very proud of yourselves. Your father would be very proud.

Wednesday, 1 June 2016, 1:48 pm
  • It is sad that anyone has lost their life due to an accident..car/motorcycle/boat/atv..any type of vehicle. Thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Here is what I do not understand: For EVERY accident, there is always a line about helmet usage. Why?
    It is NOT illegal if you don’t wear a helmet in this state. So no law was broken. Wearing a helmet DOES protect your skull and depending on design perhaps your face, but it is no guarantee you will survive in an accident..the other 95% of your body is unprotected on a motorcycle…so why is there always a heated discussion about it?

It is a personal choice, NOT a law.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 9:34 pm
  • None of us are gonna make it out alive. We are all gong to die at some point. Maybe it’s just his time to go… Why can’t everyone just shut up and deal with the fact that we all make our own decisions and tempt fate in our own ways. Stop placing blame on anything or anyone & just exist. Accidents happen & regardless of circumstances these things happen. I’d rather go out in a blaze of glory than to wither away in old age with someone changing my diapers… To each his own. Live and let live people. Your opinions are your own & if you can’t say anything nice then stfu!!!!! Please & Thank You!!!!

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 9:02 pm
  • just to every one hopefully take this as a reminder. life is precious. drive and ride safe.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 8:17 pm
  • My husband and i have been riding all our lifes,my brothers ride. My husband was hit,ran over left to die. I grew up in Florida and my husband’s accident was in Birmingham with a helmet on and the idiot talking on his phone. Usually it is because of someone else neglectgents with common sense. As for trading in for a boat. Accidents can also happen. Live life, not stay in your safty box. Everyone has their joy in life and life is a risk. Some just choose it to be on a Harley as we do. Been all over the country. Doesn’t mean it’s suppose to happen. Prayers out to this family

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 7:38 pm
  • a lot of you people need to get out and travel. There are accidents everywhere, cars and motorcycles. Yes 19 is a tough road to travel. But there are “19”s” in every state.. I travel either for work or pleasure about 60,000 miles a year. I always think I’ve seen it all, Until the next one. Accidents happen. Prayers for this mans family. Have respect on the road.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 7:24 pm
  • I loved Randy very much. I still can’t believe this has happened. There are lights installed at that curve that were never actively working. Till your in my shoes and that of his children and a 5 year old granddaughter he left behind that I have no idea how to tell he when she get home from a friend keeping her that her Papa that she adores is never comming home.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 7:19 pm
  • He was my dad n my daughter’s grandfather. My mom lost her husband her best friend her everything. Randy is very much loved n truly missed. Randy was a great person father husband n grandfather. Still can’t believe that he is not coming home. Words cannot describe what our family and his family is going through. Want to thank everyone for their condolences. And the people talking **** in those comments go to hell!!!!!!!

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 7:18 pm
    • I’m so sorry sweetie…my prayers are with you and your family.

Friday, 27 May 2016, 1:15 am
  • As a motorcycle rider of 50 years I can tell you that the majority of accidents are caused by drivers in cars not paying attention to what’s around them on the road. This has nothing to do with the story…it’s a sad day for his family and friends and it’s not the time cast out your uninformed opinions about the causes nor about about riding a motorcycle in general. Those who do so need to take a good look at yourselves for a man lost his life…be grateful that it wasn’t you or one of your loved ones.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 4:45 pm
  • Sometimes as you get older your night vision is not as good. The motorcycle headlight probably did a poor job of alerting him to the curve. By the time he saw it, he could not turn sharp enough. Condolences to the family.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 4:44 pm
  • Yes its still worth it, Its what we do, its who we are. No one really looks at the stats. I know guys that ride hundreds of thousands of miles, well into there eighties and never crash. There are a lot of factors more than, motorcycles are dangerous. One statistic I herd is 50 percent of all cycle fatalities is from an unlicenced rider, another large percentage is alcohol related. Talk to the guys that do the iron but rallies, those guy run 1000 miles a day fo days on end. I agree this area sucks for riding, 19 is a slaughter house. TRAFFIC = DANGER. Get out of the city and run out in the country, way out in the country. Let the good times roll, and enjoy it while you can. Just my opinion !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 4:30 pm
  • Outsideurbox. I had a real nice bike garage kept lights under it always had a helmet even the wife rode with me when to bike week one day i had enough i saw to many crashes riders that dont know how to ride they even to this day ride side by side i am so glad i sold it boat owner now

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 3:51 pm
  • What a shame. People that are riding motorcycle’s around here are getting kill at an alarming rate almost everyday and it’s gotten crazy. People should think very carefully regarding the use of motorcycles because the way it’s going your it’s likely you will be killed and is it really worth it?

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 12:19 pm
    • Yes, it is very sad. However, I would guess that the majority of the motorcyclists’ fatalities is due to Vehicles that are also on the roadway and the ignorance/stupidity of those driving these vehicles! This particular incident was not the case. Though, it seems that most of the time it’s a vehicle involvement at their fault of the incident/accident and not the motorcyclist.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 3:28 pm
      • The four fatal motorcycle accidents in my neighborhood (most recent last week), didn’t have another vehicle involved.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 5:39 pm
      • I beg to differ Doodle as several of these motorcycle accidents im reading on RNRF were the only vehicle involved. So whats that got to do with other vehicles on the road? dumb comment im thinking.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 10:10 pm
  • Pax I feel like I’ve made a very valid opinion, I don’t care if you like it or not, and yes I do enjoy my home.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 11:27 am
  • No alcohol. No drugs. Loving grandfather, father, and husband. Accidents happen and it’s an tragic loss, especially when there were so many that loved him deeply. The world of his family is collapsing today and he will be missed more than we can comprehend.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 10:32 am
    • Well stated, Humble Opinion. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 12:10 pm
  • Outsideyourbox..?.. Sounds like you Stay in yours… Beth report clearly states no alcohol involved… No helmet… FL law not nessesary.. Prayerful the family..

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 10:02 am
  • Sending prayers

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 8:12 am
  • I was there and seen it all ? prayers out for his family and friends

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 7:02 am
  • what about alcohol/drugs influencing these accidents and no helmet?

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 4:40 am
    • How does riding with no helmet influence an accident?

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 4:39 pm
  • Its almost hard to feel bad anymore for anyone foolish enough to ride a motorcycle around these parts. I get it, its fun and all but is it really worth the risk?

Wednesday, 25 May 2016, 11:28 pm
    • he will be dearly missed, sorry for his family in florida he has left behind. my prayers and tears go to his wife .

Thursday, 26 May 2016, 6:29 pm
  • There’s always major accidents at that curve

Wednesday, 25 May 2016, 11:19 pm
  • Prayers for all involved! So sad!

Wednesday, 25 May 2016, 10:28 pm
  • There must be a fatal or traumatic injury motorcycle crash at least once a week in Hernando county

Wednesday, 25 May 2016, 10:17 pm
  • That would be in front of the Christian camp very dangerous curve prayers for the family

Wednesday, 25 May 2016, 10:16 pm