BREAKING: Reports Citrus Deputy Injured After Exchange of Gunfire in Hernando

UPDATE; 10:46 P.M. – En lieu of a formal media release from the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office, the following Facebook post was released by officials: At approximately 5 p.m., Saturday February 17th, our deputies started looking for a Blue KIA Sedona after dispatch received a call stating 28 year-old Brian Batchelder from Hernando, was making threats to shoot someone at the Xtreme games 3 store at the 41 / 200 apex across from the Cumberland Farms gas station in Hernando. Patrol units quickly found Batchelder speeding down 41 north towards the shop. Batchelder failed to stop his vehicle. A pursuit ensued NB on 200. Because of high speeds and traffic volume, the chase was cancelled. Marion County Sheriff’s Office was also notified.

A short time later, deputies found Batchelder speeding down SB 491 and then SB on 41 through Hernando, passing the Xtreme game store at which point he pointed a firearm at deputies. After multiple attempts to try and stop the vehicle, Batchelder ran the red light at the 41 and 200 apex traveling at a high rate of speed, directly towards our deputies who put themselves between Batchelder and citizens. He slammed his vehicle into a sheriff’s vehicle, which in turn, pushed our vehicle into three other parked cars.

The impact of the crash forced other vehicles into a CCSO deputy. That deputy sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital.

Deputies were then forced to discharge their weapons towards Batchelder’s vehicle. Deputies were able to get Batchelder out of the vehicle, but he died a short time later.

“This is a very tragic turn of events, where a man lost his life. We are very thankful that our officers were not seriously injured and that the many citizens who were very close to this extremely dangerous situation did not suffer from catastrophic injuries,” said Sheriff Mike Prendergast. “Again, we will count on FDLE to do a thorough investigation.”

FDLE will now take over the investigation. The deputies involved have been placed on administrative leave with pay per agency policy. We will not be releasing any more information regarding this case until FDLE is done with their investigation.

CLICK HERE FOR DRAMATIC VIDEO FROM JENNIFER HOLLY GROGAN

HERNANDO (CITRUS) – Citrus County Officials have shut down The apex at U.S. 41 North and FL-200, where there are reports of a deputy involved shooting.

Officials have not commented on the situation at this time, but there are unconfirmed reports that a deputy may have been injured after gunfire was exchanged at that intersection.

There are also reports that others may have been injured during the exchange of gunfire.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

Comments
  • HMMMMMMM! Looks like my new clone imposter copycat impersonator got me on this story too, to you little immature coward that posted about you and your boyfriend going by the scene of the shooting being hated because you’re gay , and the silly rednecks excetera using my handle name reveal who you are, you coward what is your point sound like you’re about 12 years old, what’s your beef with me jackwagon?

Monday, 19 February 2018, 3:25 pm
  • My boyfriend and me came by this location right after the shooting,they hate me and him in Citrus county because were gay. Bunch of silly rednecks.

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 7:44 pm
  • Thanks for killing him one less bag we have to pay for in jail

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 2:48 pm
  • LOL too funny John!! don’t worry all my friends call me crazy goofy funny silly you name it, probably why I have so many nicknames, was simply making a point, don’t worry buddy I’ll be fine, he was going to a game store to shoot up the place apparently and he crashed and got shot on the way there , seems like it came right out of a video game the whole thing the way it played out , I don’t play video games and never have but if you want my opinion they’re one of the handful of reasons that have ruined and destroyed the next Generation , and our young people like I said digital zombies ,hell even some adults , yeah I come across real crazy a lot of times but trust me I’m not I’ll be okay buddy, peace have a good Sunday what’s left of it

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 11:54 am
  • Happy ending

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 7:34 am
  • BWAAAAA! I’m having a bad day I’m pissed off I’m going to just go shoot people and if anybody gets in my way it’ll be just like my video game I’ll just punch right through oh my lordy I didn’t make it through oshit let me text all my friends and tell them I screwed up made a mistake in the game I screwed up I crashed into the cop cars oh my oh my God please hit restart please hit restart oh my God sorry folks I can just see it now what the freak

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 12:20 am
    • Surfadude you need Help !!

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 9:25 am
      • Your so right he’s messed up

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 11:45 am
  • This says video game mentality written all over it digital zombies are you are now our next generation oh I’m pissed off I’m going to go do blah cuz I do it all my game I can just see it now I can see it now oh there’s four five cop cars up ahead blocking the road I can punch right through that just like all my games yippee kai yay

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 12:17 am
  • Wow I’ve been saying that a lot lately I don’t know why I should be for the sheer fact that really nothing surprises me anymore prayers to all involved family Etc are needed not just words but real ones back to the wow thank God this didn’t end worse way worse than it did I hope to God the police officer recovers fully and has a normal healthy life as for this individual can’t remember his name and don’t care to don’t want to look back up top for it because it’s not worth it what in the freak stupid punk ass on a mission to go do what what was this about jealousy video game ex-girlfriend Vendetta let’s guess guess guess that’s all I’m doing here doesn’t matter either way what’s with this b******* lately where when I get pissed off or someone pisses somebody off they just go find a way to go destruct please save us all the time if this is all true and this individual was going to do this and it’s all proven just get it all over with quickly save everyone the grief time the money the crap shoot them hang them hang them shoot them done bye bye

Sunday, 18 February 2018, 12:08 am