BREAKING: Suntrust Bank Robbed – Suspect in Custody After Short Pursuit

BROOKSVILLE – Around 10:45 am this morning, a robbery occurred at the Suntrust Bank located at 13137 Cortez Blvd.
The Sheriff’s Office has not released an official report at this time, but according to our sources, a man dressed in all black walked into the bank – handed the teller a note and fled the area on foot with an undetermined amount of cash.
Witnesses say the suspect, who was described as a white male in his mid-twenties, ran to the Circle K at the corner of Mariner Blvd and Cortez Blvd, and jumped on a blue bicycle (Pictured Below).
Deputies located the bicycle a short distance away on Sunshine Grove Road, near Chambord Street.
A K-9 unit began tracking the suspect near Brookridge Subdivision, where officials believed he may be hiding.
A few minutes later, the Sheriff’s Office’ Air Unit spotted the suspect near Recarda Lane and Grove Road, where he entered the grounds of a private mental health facility.
Numerous deputies swarmed the complex and apprehended the suspect without incident.
There are unconfirmed reports that the suspect is known to the law enforcement as a possible patient of the facility.
Deputies continue to search for a missing backpack that may contain cash stolen from the bank.

UPDATE: 8/17/2015, 3:30 PM – The Sheriff’s Office released the following statement regarding today’s robbery.
On 08-17-15 at approximately 10:46 a.m., Hernando County deputies responded to the SunTrust Bank located at 13137 Cortez Boulevard in Brooksville in reference to a Robbery.
9-1-1 operators received information that a white male in his late 20’s or early 30’s wearing all black had just robbed the bank.  The male left the bank carrying a black backpack.  The male was last seen leaving the area on a bicycle.
After locking down the facility, bank employees immediately retrieved video surveillance footage of the suspect and provided it to detectives who were arriving on scene.  HCSO Crime Analysis personnel took still photos from the video surveillance and issued an “Urgent Alert” to all personnel.
Deputy James Boylan, who patrols the area, saw the Urgent Alert and recognized the individual as someone who he had checked out with a few hours earlier.  During that encounter, Deputy Boylan completed a Field Interview Report (FIR) on the individual, obtaining a complete name, address, telephone number, etc.
Immediately, Deputy Boylan notified units on the Robbery scene the identity of the suspect and his last known address.
Meanwhile, the HCSO Aviation Unit and a K-9 team were working together; tracking the individual from the location where he dumped the bicycle he used to leave the area of the bank.
Deputy Brandon Cox and K-9 Judge were tracking the suspect when Chief Pilot, Corporal Dave Calianno (in Air-3) observed the suspect run into a building on Grove Road which was later identified as his residence.  The building was determined to be WestBridge, a Center for Integrated Treatment of Co-Occurring Disorders.
Deputy Chris Croft was of scene within minutes to take the suspect into custody.
The suspect, Brendan Timothy Evans W/M DOB/10-17-1986 was placed under arrest.  He was charged as follows:
–    Robbery
–    Bond – $25,000.
It is believed that the bicycle that Evans was riding was stolen; however, no reports have been filed yet.
Deputies recovered the backpack that Evans was carrying after an extensive search of the area.

Evans

rr1 rr2 rr3

Robbery 1

rr4 rr6

Comments
  • I went to jail for 2 months and was sentenced to probation. You guys are all **** HAHAHAHA

Monday, 7 March 2016, 12:12 am
  • Being sorry

Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 6:53 pm
  • Jimheywood…yes I did. Please learn proper grammar.

Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 2:07 pm
  • Luckydog did you read the post and decipher its meaning. Stop be a troll .

Wednesday, 19 August 2015, 9:12 am
  • I’m a former employee of West Ridge and I must say I left under unfavorable conditions. Having said that, I’d like to say that this agency holds high regard for their participants and everyone within the community. The employees there come from all walks of life and care for everybody as if they were their own family member. Although I left under bad terms I cannot bring myself to say anything negative about this establishment. They are truly a blessing for these families as well as for the individual day Taser. This scenario clearly is isolated and I pray that this young man gets the true help you needs. And as it pertains to the young man almost losing his life in a suicide attempt by jumping in front of a car, I worked there at that time too, I know the exact participate you’re talking to, and that’s not how it happened. He was not even close to getting hurt. Stop exaggerating and taking your frustration out on Westbridge, when you got fired or quit because you couldn’t handle the job.

Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 10:51 pm
  • Jimheywood…if you don’t want to read the comments left here I suggest you watch the news, or read the paper. Didn’t you happen to notice the 3 little words on the bottom of the screen? It says, “Leave A Reply.” More comments, mean more advertising…which means more money.

Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 6:17 pm
  • Spring Hill needs a website for everyone to have an opinion on the BS that goes on in our town, i dont know how RNRF became that site . Mr Lemons, dont you think so?

Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 1:50 pm
  • I interviewed for a position as a medical professional at WestBridge, and I did not get the job…they stated it was b/c I didn’t have enough experience, yet I have over 30 years experience. My experience encompasses patients from all walks of life, including the homeless and even felons, but apparently b/c my experience didn’t include the private (wealthy) sector, my experience didn’t count. WestBridge bases their interview process on questions posed by a group of individuals, including their own patients, which they refer to as “participants.” Because they base their questions on how you’d respond to real life situations involving their participants, they ask questions to find out what you’d do.They expect a response in which you’d protect the participant at all cost, b/c of who they are, or who their families are. One question I was asked, “what would you do if you accompanied a participant to Walmart and you witnessed them shoplifting? Well, my response was, “I’d report them to the store.” I said, “stealing is stealing, regardless of who they are.” Wrong answer! They expect their employees not to report any illegal activity b/c of who they are, or who their parents are. The majority of the questions that I was asked during the interview process related to the fact that the participant was from a wealthy family, and how would I respond? They asked how I felt dealing with families that were very affluent? I said, “I’d treat their family professionally, just the same as I would any patients family.” I responded honestly to every question that I was asked. I stated that it didn’t matter how much money someone had, or didn’t have, b/c I’d treat a homeless patient the same as I would a rich one…I treat everyone the same. I told them that I’ve worked with people from all socioeconomic backgrounds and I’ve never treated a patient differently b/c of their financial status, and I never would…I immediately saw the disapproval in their eyes. Needless to say…I didn’t get the job, and they said it was b/c of my “lack of experience.” My not getting the position had nothing to do with “lack of experience” as I’ve worked with the sickest of the sick throughout my career. I feel the real reason I didn’t get the position was b/c I didn’t agree to cover up any criminal activity that their “participants” may engage in, nor would I treat the”participants,” and their families differently just b/c of their financial status. Addiction is addiction, and mental health disorders is just that…last I knew when I decided to become a medical professional many years ago, treatment is based on a patient’s diagnosis/disorder and not on their socioeconomic/financial background. We witnessed today how that works. I truly believe WestBridge needs to take accountability, and responsibility, for their patients, and this includes protecting the citizens, and businesses of Hernando County from their “participants” actions.

Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 3:06 am
  • The suspect entered our business parking lot at Burbank Place & Imos Systems Computer and Smartphone Repair. Our administrative assistant actually found the backpack, hat, black sweatshirt and a knife and we notified deputies to the evidence. Video surveillance was retrieved from Imos Systems and recently posted to their Facebook business page. One of my co-workers witnessed the man on the bicycle ride into the lot and emerge several minutes later carrying what she thought to be a white bag in which we believe the money was transferred in to. When you see a low flying helicopter circling…it’s probably a good idea to go on “lock down”…which we did! Never a dull day at the office!

Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 12:31 am
  • Victoria,

I suppose you know WestBridge is great firsthand, huh? As a former employee, I worked there when a patient nearly lost his life to a suicide attempt by walking in front of a truck. WestBridge staff is grossly undertrained. This facility is more focused on how much money wealthy families are willing to spend at the worst time in their loved ones life than actually fixing their loved one. I can count the “participant’s who were given “graduation” ceremonies that have died or have come close.

Monday, 17 August 2015, 11:02 pm
  • Wasn’t this guy just arrested last week for something else?

Monday, 17 August 2015, 5:23 pm
  • Good Work HCSO, Lock this guy up for a long long time and not in a country club jail. Real Hard labor is a great deterrent for someone thinking about committing another crime.

Monday, 17 August 2015, 3:59 pm
  • Come a long way with getaway transportation. Just thinking about the days of Bonnie & Clyde

Monday, 17 August 2015, 3:14 pm
  • Lets find this back pack

Monday, 17 August 2015, 2:54 pm
  • You people cry because law enforcement have rules to follow and you think because you call a certain outcome should happen. It doesn’t work that way and if you think you would do better, then stop being cry babies and go get your law certificate and do a better job. You people are the first to call on any little circumstance but whine when things don’t go your way. Stop being keyboard warriors, and complaining about everything that happens even though you did nothing to help the situation.

Monday, 17 August 2015, 2:53 pm
    • You call STEALING someone’s personal property from their car, NOTHING. I believe I did try to do something but obviously nothing was done about it. So you are telling me that it is not a rule that if a citizen tells you that they witness someone stealing someone’s bag, going through it, where they threw what they didn’t want along with the where they threw the bag, that it’s not in his rule book to check. I think it’s time for me to do like everyone else and turn a blind eye. I hope you Citizen Joe are not a victim of a crime, you would see things differently

Monday, 17 August 2015, 4:49 pm
      • The issue is the officer needs to see it before they can make an Arrest. Imagine if someone did not like you and told an officer that they saw you steal something and if the officer too their word for it you would go to jail. Would that be fair? That is why they cant arrest someone on your word.

Tuesday, 18 August 2015, 5:47 am
    • well said officer, honestly, well said

Monday, 17 August 2015, 4:57 pm
  • thug

Monday, 17 August 2015, 2:08 pm
  • Ya I believe you WHoever upset with the sheriffs office is..They as in hsco blows off lots of stuff all the time.Its because its a high turnover rate now within that agency and the new style is laziness at its best.I see it every week myself.

Monday, 17 August 2015, 1:34 pm
  • Just because he was apprehended at Westbtridge, please don’t assume he is a resident. The faciliry, and the company it’s run by, have an excellent reputation.

Monday, 17 August 2015, 1:17 pm
  • This could of all been prevented, at 9:07am, I called the sheriffs office about this same guy, he had walked by my car and spit on the windshield and driver window, he then walked through the parking lot of the Cancer center, when the sheriff showed up I informed him that the guy had come out o the Cancer center parking lot and was walking towards the east on 50. He was carrying a black bag and what looked like a cane out of the parking lot that he did not have when he entered the lot, I informed the deputy that I watched him look through the bag and throw stuff on the ground along the sidewalk, at the 6th light pole he threw down the bag. I watched the deputy approach him and then leave without him, I was stunned. The deputy never even checked the stuff on the sidewalk and I’m sure if I walk over there it’s all still there. I’m upset that the deputy didn’t even check my story, whatever that guy said to him he believed him. So much for Hernando Counties finest.

Monday, 17 August 2015, 12:56 pm
    • so because he spit they shouldve arrested him knowing he was going to rob a bank afterwards. hey ,sign up if you can predict the future , you could be some type of superhero. I say good job HCSO for catching him doing a real crime not just spitting and carrying a bag.

Monday, 17 August 2015, 3:49 pm
  • A getaway huffy points for originality

Monday, 17 August 2015, 12:32 pm
  • Was this WestBridge? The same rehab facility that the residents of the neighborhood fought against because they were concerned with increased crime that often goes along with patients of these facilities. No can’t be. The developers assured everyone that these would be “high end” patients with zero risk of crime.

Monday, 17 August 2015, 12:30 pm