BREAKING: Teachers Handed “Pink Slips” at Embattled Elementary School

BROOKSVILLE – Moton Elementary has been plagued with administrative staff and teacher turnover for years and it looks like the issues have finally taken their toll.

Several teachers contacted RNRF today, claiming to have been “pink slipped,” which essentially forces any teacher without tenure to reapply with the Hernando County School District next year.

We are waiting on word from school officials to confirm the terminations and what the future holds for Moton Elementary.

Check back for updates.

NOTE: The Hernando County School District wants the community to know that teachers are not being terminated, effective immediately; rather, they will finish out the school year at Moton Elementary.

Comments
  • The picture that you aren’t seeing here is the good ole boy network at work. Of course Gausted and Martin will be promoted and continue to be promoted because they are part of the old Brooksville system. That is why Griffin (Griffith?) is still a teacher and coach in this county. This is a small town in the south, it is what it is. The inbred Hernandites will continue to run things while the rest of us that have actually traveled outside of this area have to just sit back and scratch our heads in wonderment. Now with that said I do have to mention that it is a normal procedure that when a school is failing to let go all of the staff and to restructure. If the teachers that are being let go are good teachers with good evaluations they will be hired at another school.

Monday, 16 April 2018, 7:11 am
  • Has anyone else noticed that the teachers at Moton did not receive any information about losing their jobs until after the FSA testing this week was done? Maybe some people should not be retained. But if there are shool teachers who are terrible at their jobs, why are they being employed through the end of the school year? Getting rid of all the teachers without keeping those who are doing a good job is a lazy way to remove the underperforming employees. And it is very disruptive for the students. The person who should be looking for a new job is our suprintendent of schools.

Sunday, 15 April 2018, 11:30 am
    • Actually FSA for Reading are this week at Moton and Math is in 2 weeks. So they were actually “pink slipped” on the eve of testing and then expected to come in today and encourage the students to perform.

Monday, 16 April 2018, 1:50 pm
  • I fail to understand how the teachers union cannot intervene in this instance. There are many teachers there that are very good teachers and extremely dedicated to doing the best they can for their students. I have a daughter who is a new teacher there and the hours that are put in, not to mention their own personal money, to see that their students are given everything they can have makes it unbelievable to me that this has happened. I can understand if a teacher we’re receiving poor reviews, and not meeting the standards that they would receive pink slips. But when you have a teacher who has received good reviews and given everything they can to teach their students this is just unfair and very poor practice. I am not certain, but I believe tenure is 5 years of teaching. But regardless of how many years teaching these teachers are reviewed on a regular basis and assess for their ability. Someone needs to do something. Clean house of those that are not doing their jobs, but those that are working very hard for students that they love very much should be able to keep their jobs, and not pay the price for what was poor Administration in the past.

Sunday, 15 April 2018, 9:05 am
  • Can someone please explain the tenure thing?

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 1:40 pm
    • Tenure means time served in classroom…basically seniority. As always “last one hired, first one fired”…

Sunday, 15 April 2018, 4:28 am
    • I will say that if the SUPT. and her assistants didn’t demand and draw such HUGE salaries that bleed this school district dry, it wouldn’t be in such a dire financial crisis. They shouldn’t be so damn greedy. The children of this county deserve to have a decent education with caring teachers who are not fighting to put meals on their OWN table due to the cutbacks. With all the new growth in housing this county has seen in the past 10-12 yrs and the heavy traffic flow, we know money is there. The problem is WHO is sucking the school system dry?? The big dog at the top and her assistants. I say it’s time to lower the boom and cut some salaries…and I mean cuts that will actually help. They don’t mind the teachers who are on the front line of battle in these classrooms everyday taking less and losing their jobs…but God help dear Lori if she should have to take a cut too. Time to lower the axe…and fast.

Sunday, 15 April 2018, 4:43 am
  • Parents need to rally for the teachers better, parents like me and you and you and you!!! I understand administrators have a duty to hold teachers to standards just like teachers hold my children to standards but who is holding administrators to standards? What standard what example what leadership are we accepting here? This is sad news, in times of struggle you come together not disassemble.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 1:24 pm
  • So glad my kid will be graduating HS in June and we can get out of here worst school system ever all 12 years of it one is no better then the others

Friday, 13 April 2018, 10:54 pm
    • Lena it took you 12 yrs to figure out you dislike the entire school system
      , hope your son is a lot brainier than you. Why didn’t you leave sooner. Just askin as you seem to know everything bout evetything, car wrecks scum. BAGS EVERYWHERE blah blah cell phone, text. Etc etc. I feel for the teachers, however I don’t believe ALL schools here are bad.. So bye bye in June, not long to wait.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 5:22 pm
  • I was just told from a friend that is a teacher at a different school in Hernando County that the teachers at her school are being pink slipped if they aren’t tenured…are they going to fire all their teachers????

Friday, 13 April 2018, 8:37 pm
    • It’s apparent the problems have been going for years and wouldn’t be the results of the actions of New or Untenured Teachers, but with the Good Ole Boy Tenured system in Academia.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 7:08 am
  • What I do love about Pasco is that they don’t do this to their teachers. I’m so glad I made the move.

Friday, 13 April 2018, 6:32 pm
    • Yes they do, all school systems do it. It’s called RIF (reduction in force). I’ve taught for 26 years in 3 different states including 14 years in Florida. The school districts do it based on projected enrollment for the upcoming school year. Of course the teachers with the fewest years are the one moved around. They will have jobs, just at another school.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 1:32 pm
    • The teachers union is pasco is going to be decertified because of a bill your house members signed. So it shouldn’t be to long till this happens. Your good teachers are soon to be flee to other nearby counties that have better protection and healthcare.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 2:55 pm
    • They did this in Pasco in 2013 at Lacoochee Elementary, although it was communicated better.

Monday, 16 April 2018, 1:45 pm
  • When will people wake up to the corruption in this school district? Ask any teacher who is honest and they’ll tell you what is going on. These poor teachers at Moton. Being micromanaged to death then pink slipped for doing what you were basically forced to, teaching kids who don’t come to school to learn. Now theyrth getting one of the principals that helped destroy Challenger. This school is screwed.

Friday, 13 April 2018, 6:32 pm
    • You dont have to ask the honest teacher what is going on. Dang right they’re being micromanaged the school is and HAS BEEN A FAILING SCHOOL! Change is what’s needed. So they got rid of the teachers they also were told they can reapply. Their are some awesome teachers at Moton, no doubt, but there are an equal amount of ones that aren’t doing their jobs to better that school. So what do you suggest they do? Go there and say “you can stay, you can stay, but you have to go?” Get a grip. I’m gonna go ahead and assume that the “principal who helped destroy challenger” you’re referring to is patty martin? Pretty sure challenger is a passing school with great new rules implemented to make things fair for EVERYONE, gifted program is thriving, and she isn’t the only principal there (not even one out of two. There are four admin at that school. and let’s not forget the fact that Brent gausted and her pretty much turned parrot middle school around for the better. Let’s not throw shade on Facebook about people while sitting behind a computer screen. Their isn’t a single doubt that Patty Martin is one of the hardest working people in the Hernando county school system. If it’s so terrible here take your dear child to pasco.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 5:05 pm
      • There is no shade being thrown. Just the truth. My kids went to Challenger years ago and it is not the same school, anyone saying it’s the same is delusional.

Sunday, 15 April 2018, 2:42 am
    • Which principal would that be?

Sunday, 15 April 2018, 4:49 am
    • You definitely have to be kidding. Challenger is the model school that’s everything its the other schools that have to work with what they have. Moran has had issues for years. There is something wrong because the kids are not learning. They need to find out the problems and take care if them.

Monday, 16 April 2018, 10:18 am
  • When you’re non reappointed (pink slipped) you also lose your health insurance. It happened to me when I stood up to being bullied at my last school. Even though I had exceptional evaluations and my work was praised by both the district and my principal at the time. Also, other schools will not even look at applicants who have been pink slipped, I was lucky that my saint of a principal this year gave me a chance. I’ve had a great school year thank goodness.

Friday, 13 April 2018, 5:43 pm
  • Hey tom what about wreck on 75 and dade city exit northbound before hwy 50 it looked to have faitalitys

Friday, 13 April 2018, 5:24 pm
      • unless it was another acciden but i past it a little bit ago and the guy in the pick appeared to have lost his front tire he was walking around did Diddent seem that serios at all

Friday, 13 April 2018, 5:47 pm