Brush Fire Forces Evacuation of Homeless Camp, Several Pets Rescued

SPRING HILL – Several people who live in a homeless camp behind the Walmart Supercenter on Cortez Blvd were forced to evacuate today, after fire scorched approximately two acres of wooded area behind the department store.

There are no reports of injuries at this time, however, there are unconfirmed reports that between 5 and 10 people were forced to abandon their property and pets while firefighters battled the blaze. There are reports that firefighters were able to rescue all the pets before fire reached the campground.Strong winds made it difficult to control the blaze but assistance of the Department of Forestry, tractors were used to cut a ring around the fire, preventing it from spreading further.

The cause of the blaze is unknown at time.

Comments
  • It warms my heart reading most of these posts. Hopefully citizen is trying to get a rise out of everyone and really does not feel that way.
    There but by the grace of God go you. No wiser words have been written.

Sunday, 9 April 2017, 4:41 pm
  • CANT ANYONE SHOW COMPASSION FOR THESE PEOPLE ?????????

Sunday, 9 April 2017, 2:07 pm
  • The homeless needs to be removed from the county nothing but trouble around here looking for money from the side of the road where they can be arrested or coming up behide you in a parking lot and building these camps where ever they damm please

Saturday, 8 April 2017, 10:50 pm
    • lol, and how do you intend to remove citizens who have done nothing wrong, other than not have a home? shame on you.

Monday, 10 April 2017, 12:00 am
    • I don’t recall it being against the law for someone to not have a home?
      Nor do I see any of the homeless impeding traffic, or causing any scenes.

It’s people like you that cause scenes.
      Don’t you think it’s bad enough that these humans (and yes, they are still human just as myself and you) don’t have homes? Isn’t there the slightest bit of compassion and remorse towards those who cannot afford the luxury of even having a roof over their head, or a place to keep warm at night?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Monday, 10 April 2017, 12:04 am
  • I have a room to rent for 300. Leaves you 435

Saturday, 8 April 2017, 8:49 pm
    • Interested in that room

Sunday, 9 April 2017, 12:25 pm
    • take out food medication costs, and you’re already in the negative for most, einstein.

Tuesday, 11 April 2017, 5:14 pm
  • It’s funny how many dont have money for the essentials, but seem to come up with money for a smart phone, cigarettes and tattoos.

Saturday, 8 April 2017, 7:52 pm
  • If hernando county would acknowledge the fact that there is a large homeless population, and allowed a homeless shelter, that fire would not of happend

Saturday, 8 April 2017, 5:43 pm
  • Sorry to tell you, but I am one of the people that had to leave my camp. and I am on disability and can’t afford a place to live on $735.00 a month. Everyone in this area works at least part time and no one “fly’s” a sign.

Saturday, 8 April 2017, 9:57 am
    • WHERE CAN WE MEET SO I CAN HELP YOU OUT CLOTHES FOOD WATER $$$$$$$$$$$$ MAYBE SOME WORK ????????????

Sunday, 9 April 2017, 2:05 pm
      • Lucky, my camp was fine but my friend and her boyfriend lost everything. Her boyfriend just got a job, so we are fine there. But blankets and pillows and water is always needed. And thank you for not judging us.

Wednesday, 12 April 2017, 5:05 pm
  • thanks to the men and women that put their lives at risk for situations like this.

Saturday, 8 April 2017, 1:58 am
  • I have been working since I was 14 years old. Being homeless for most of these people is a choice. Not all but most. Just sayin. Get a job get a house. You see how this works? Don’t work don’t get house.

Friday, 7 April 2017, 11:05 pm
  • Yeah, what’s your point? They’re homeless!
    Are you gonna give them a damn room?
    Have a heart jack.,..! Geez.,..

Friday, 7 April 2017, 7:50 pm
    • Terrible how sad we need to help these people shame to say they will be a n the street

Friday, 7 April 2017, 11:06 pm
  • Concerned citizen…only concerned for yourself. These poor people have lost what little living area they have! Have some compassion! Karma is a bitch!!?

Friday, 7 April 2017, 7:45 pm
  • St. 4 has been busy these days Be safe boys.

Friday, 7 April 2017, 7:40 pm
  • Now they will be standing on the corner with a sign saying “my home burned down, please help”.

Friday, 7 April 2017, 7:03 pm
    • What an thing to say. It’s bad enough that they were homeless to begin with, and who knows the reason, but now they have to be forced out of their camp. It doesn’t affect you and by your sarcasm clearly you mock the epidemic of our homeless population so why say anything. To hear yourself speak? Does it really make you feel better? Wow.

Friday, 7 April 2017, 8:10 pm
    • My mom used to say ” There but by the grace of God go you “. You are an UGLY, UGLY person concerned citizen. I’ve bought homeless people a meal & bought food for their dog. It was repaid to me more than once – they watched out for my vehicle during the day at work, put change in my meter so I wouldn’t get parking tickets – escorted me to my car to be sure I was safe. NOT ALL ARE BAD, just down on their luck or no family. Have some compassion!!!! GIVE THEM A BUCK. GIVE THEM THE TIME OF DAY. YOU might be surprised to find they are human beings with feelings.

Friday, 7 April 2017, 9:56 pm
      • Love your kindress ♡

Saturday, 8 April 2017, 11:44 am
      • out of the last 10 times i gave a homeless person a $20, 8 of those times it was used on malt liquor. except for lack of intelligence, homeless are homeless for a reason

Sunday, 9 April 2017, 10:39 am
        • If I were homeless, I’d spend my $20 on a night of happiness too.

You never know what pasts these individuals have lived.
          Don’t be so quick to judge.

And if you don’t want them spending money on liquor, don’t give it to them!
          Once you GIVE money away to someone, it is no longer yours and they can do what they please with it!

I have met extraordinary homeless people, people whom you’ve never expect to be homeless in the first place. You have no idea what got them in the position they are in.

Just so you know,
          God don’t like Ugly!

Monday, 10 April 2017, 12:07 am
    • Pretty shytti thing to say Citizen…….

Friday, 7 April 2017, 10:21 pm
    • You need you show some compassion for the homeless and these that have been displaced again

Saturday, 8 April 2017, 3:50 am