Central High Student in Critical Condition After Early Morning Crash

SPRING HILL – Earlier this morning RNRF reported an injury crash at the intersection of Mariner Blvd and Delbarton Street involving a motorcycle. ORIGINAL REPORT

The Florida Highway Patrol has now released the following details regarding the incident:

At 6:36 a.m. 58-year-old Dennis Torres was traveling northbound on Mariner Blvd in the outside lane. A motorcycle driven by a 16-year-old Central High School student was traveling behind Torres in the same lane. As traffic began to slow down, the teen failed to stop and collided with the rear of Torres’ Chevy S-10 pickup truck. Post-impact, the teen was ejected onto the roadway and was struck by a vehicle driven by 37-year-old Christine Isabel Colon.

The victim was airlifted to Bayonet Point Hospital, where he is listed in critical condition at this time.

No other injuries were reported and charges are pending, according to officials.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

UPDATE: 9/22/2015, 2:00 P.M. – 16-year-old Sebastian Rivera has been identified as the critically injured victim. Rivera is Central High School’s Varsity Football Team Quarterback.

There are unconfirmed reports that Rivera underwent surgery this morning and remains in critical condition.

Moto

Interior Large copy

Comments
  • RIP #3 Although I didn’t know you, I pray for you to be seated next to our Savior and RIP. God be the glory.

Saturday, 3 October 2015, 4:07 pm
  • RIP

Tuesday, 29 September 2015, 10:44 am
  • According to posts on facebook, he has passed away. I pray for the families involved and that the community supports them and respects their privacy during this difficult time… RIP #3…

Sunday, 27 September 2015, 5:37 pm
  • I would like to say that everyone here in traverse city Michigan and beyond has Sebastian Rivera and his family and friends in our prayers. My thoughts and prayers are with Sebastian Rivera and his family and friends. I am there for you all. God bless you all

Friday, 25 September 2015, 11:20 pm
  • Spring Hill Dixie Girls Softball will be PLAYING AND PRAYING for Sebastion #3. So many of our girls are affected by this tragedy.
    All games are being playing to support his recovery. We will taking a collection for the family from our “SOFTBALL FAMILY”. Please make all donations to Dianne and Laura at the fields. We will have a jar. Spread the word and bring guests to our games.
    Every little bit helps and shows we care.

Friday, 25 September 2015, 10:04 am
  • Prayers to this young man and his family.

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 11:11 pm
  • I am very good friends with the family who this boy ran into and know of the situation of the situation of the lady that hit him. THEY ARE ALL DEVASTATED. Please keep the all in your prayers. Remember, there is a reason why they call it an ACCIDENT, and that multiple things chain together to bring the outcome. My prayers are with everyone involved.

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 4:28 pm
  • I assure you all he is not dead my cousin is his girlfriend (still in critical condition tho) but
    Regardless who’s fault it is or what not there’s a child that needs all the support he can get the more prayers he gets the better. I’m Praying for you Sebastian!!! You got this!!!!

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 10:18 am
    • Thank you for that update – so glad he’s hanging on!

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 10:38 am
  • It’s 1st and 10 #3, you got this…
    God speed

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 7:20 am
  • I remember how devastated I was standing at my brother’s bedside in a trauma center after his 2nd motorcycle accident. As a parent, I can’t imagine the pain and anguish they must be feeling right now, waiting to wake from the nightmare they’re in. Words put out on social media can be hauntingly painful, especially in a time like this. Remember that our children look to us for love, support and guidance so let us show them how to be goodhearted, kind and respectful people. People always want to blame someone when a tragedy occurs, hoping it will decrease somehow the pain they feel. The fact is, it doesn’t matter who did what it’s called an accident for a reason. I’m sure that the others involved can’t get the sounds or sights of that moment out of their head. Things happen for a reasons we may never understand but this young man, in his time of need has brought together a lot of people to check their faith and talk to God-some for the 1st time. Miracles happen, God exists, prayer & faith works where medicine fails. Parents grab your children & hold them tight, kids take time to tell people you care and everybody pray to whatever God you believe in to be with Sebastian, his family and friends to see them through this.

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 6:59 am
  • Stay stong and keep fighting Sebastian

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 6:45 am
  • God please help my niece Kaylee Daleo’s dear friend, Sebastian Anthony Rivera wake up from this nightmare motorcycle crash and make a full recovery for his family and friends. Father I’m begging you too please put this boys hurt on me when its my time to walk into the pearly white gates of heaven. Father as I beg for this challenge I just want to remind you that you father have never put anything on my shoulders that I couldn’t handle. In your name father amen. Signed John Nohejl

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 11:17 pm
  • Prayers for all of the Rivera Family in their time of need

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 9:53 pm
  • My girls Knew this young man. Springstead students were informed today he is not doing well at all. His family has some truly rough decisions ahead of them. Praying for him & his family in their time of need. Also for all the students who are struggling with this news. I am sure the school counselors will have their doors open for all who Need them. Please Jesus watch over them.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 8:51 pm
  • Cancel that comment, now I’m told that information was false.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 8:49 pm
  • I agree with Janet, Teresa, Michelle, and Tanya, which was partially the reason for my post. The main reason was to support Sebastian and his family through this extremely tough time.
    As someone who has lost a 21yr old sister in law very suddenly and tragic on Easter Sunday, our family knows unfortunately very well what they are going through, so please be considerate of the family and don’t use this to be an idiot.
    Have a heart for Gods sake.
    There are no Guarantees for a tomorrow and God for Bid, it could be any one of us tomorrow. Think of that for a minute and what you would hope people would post on your behalf.
    Keep fighting Kid and we will continue to Pray!!!!

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 8:48 pm
  • My sister is at the hospital and was next in line and he died on his own still on life support, right before she could see him. This is so sad.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 8:32 pm
  • My prayers go out to Sebastian and his family … this is where we all just pray for him he is a strong young man and he is also a fighting …

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 8:10 pm
  • I’m told he did not survive 🙁

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 7:52 pm
    • Where did you hear that, please?

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 8:31 pm
  • First I like to say everyone is so quick to blame the child you need to stop doing this hello adults are just to blame the car that hit him from the back what was she doing that she did not stop her self and for you folks who like to blame the kid well I have seen so many accidents with old people more then any where in my life in the state of Florida oh I forgot they are in such a rush to go sit at a food place like it is burning down the building before they get there so ya folks look at the other people who are just as wrong as anyone else and before you put the blame on this child look in the mirror before you throw stones I am sure your life is not perfect either and by the way I know the child father and they are very hard working parents and raise their children to do the right thing and one more thing drugs would never be involved so stop trying to make it seem like that the child was a good student and raised the right way how many of you have children that you think is such an angel instead of making stupid and false comments why don”t you just pray he comes out ok and thank God he is alive and keep your stupid comments to your self his family is going thru enough they do not need your stupidity adding to it

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 6:01 pm
  • If everyone for a moment, were to think of Sebastian’s family reading this later, then I bet you wouldn’t be focusing on issues that are being brought up or hurtful careless things that are being said. How much additional pain have you added to the pain and suffering they are going through by saying such insensitive things. My point is, please stop being judgmental and hurtful and before you type think if his parents were right in front of you now, what would you say to them? THAT’S what you should say and leave the rest of it aside and just offer up positive comments/prayer or inspirational thoughts. I’ve never posted here so I don’t know if you can but it would be nice if the people who made those ignorant comments We’re able to delete them for the sake of the family. Sebastian’s family and friends who love him are going through enough, I know because I’m watching my own 16 year old try to cope, as she was a friend of his, was able to see him today. After speaking with her, thru her tears, I can say We need some serious power of prayer here, pray for a miracle and lift up Sebastian’s family and friends also, they are going thru a living hell right now. Thank you.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 5:19 pm
  • Hope he is ok….some of these comments from the kids are ridicules….

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 4:27 pm
  • Praying for this young life as well as all who were involved. May the family and friends remain strong. ?

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 3:54 pm
  • Don’t you just LOVE how people choose these social media avenues to insult people during this most fragile time for Sebastian and his family. If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all!!! Good grief you people, STOP ALL THE IMMATURE COMMENTS!!! In defense of Sebastian and his family, what they choose to do for or with their child is no one else’s business… I know from my own experience that you do your very best for your child, regardless. I’m sure this family has their own personal reasons for him driving a motorcycle… Thank God he was wearing a helmet, that alone show that this young man is a very responsible young child. I know that this family is suffering way beyond belief! I ask that people pray for this family and stop all the ridiculous comments. Obviously, we all need to pray for those who would leave a derogatory comment or message about a human being in such a public way… Nice!!! People, really?!?! Leave all that petty crap aside and join together and pray, ask for guidance, pray to whatever God or ? That you look to. Regardless, it is quite apparent that all need to be prayed for… Love and prayers to someone who is a complete stranger to me. I just happen to have some compassion for those involved… It really bothers me that people publicly make such ugly and hurtful comments when this is probably one of the most difficult times in a parents life. God spare them anymore grief than what they are already are suffering. Love, grace and God speed for Sebastian and his family!!! ? Teresa P.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 12:56 pm
  • you know guys there is a law in Europe that stipulate that any motorcycle rider has to start with a 250cc or less powerful engine for the first 2 years and then can graduate to a 500cc and after 4 years of accident ,incident free riding, they can graduate to the speeding bullets that our 16 year old are riding. S0 the fact that over 50% of the accidents occur with a 750 + CC motorcycle is no surprise, and I hate to see this kid and many other to come to learn that lesson the hard way, I pray he will recover and life a live we all deserve.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 12:55 pm
  • No need to attack this person Charlie. Maybe you need a lesson in empathy. If you don’t have something nice to say don’t say it.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 12:15 pm
  • No need to attack this person. Maybe you need a lesson in empathy.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 12:06 pm
  • Prayers go to you Sebastian and you’re family ?

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 11:35 am
  • So tragic. Our thoughts are with Sebastian, His Family, and Friends.
    The one thing that bothers me after reading through all these posts is the few immature and ignorant people that use this to call someone stupid because of the spelling of a word and another to voice her religious beliefs on this young mans tragic situation. My suggestion is that you two get each other’s personal emails and have your own separate conversation and leave these people alone to pray for this young mans health and recovery.
    There is never any good reason for tragic accidents, but they happen all the time. We stand with the Family and Friends and Hope that Sebastian pulls through this.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 11:08 am
  • Just pray for Sebastian or send the family and county full of kids that are scared this youg man may not pull through! Sebastian’s pain is felt at Central as well as Springstead where he attended part of last year, but prayers and well wishes are pouring from every school! My son and his best friend attend different schools my boy an eagle his friend a bear and have both seen the outpouring of love for this young man spilling over and they are both humbled by it. #prayfor3 is everyone’s motto right now

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 10:49 am
  • I’ll put this young man on my prayer list . Bad things happen to good people . One thing good is many are praying that otherwise would not bother going before the Lord . Praise God for many God fearing people in this area .

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 10:03 am
  • Really Tiffany? You are what is wrong with this world!

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 9:14 am
    • what a troll.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 12:37 pm
  • Praying for Sebastian and his family.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 8:31 am
  • Prayers and positive thoughts for this wonderful young man and his family . May God be with them all.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 6:00 am
  • Bible states power of prayer in numbers. Lots of kids at central are praying for Sebastian and his family. Also pray for the two bus loads of centrals kids on Mariner who were behind the accident. What they seen has them choked up. My two kids were on the bus. One had a break down after school today. Girls volleyball team had a hard time wanting to play tonight. They made him a banner before the game and took it upon themselves to write pray for sabastian. Central kids are not taking this well. Ask many to pray for Sebastian, his family, follow students and that god will guide the doctors and nurses caring for him.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 1:35 am
  • Stay strong. Thoughts and prayers are being sent to all those affected by this terrible accident. May God stand by you and guide you to a full recovery.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 12:55 am
  • Prayers dont help. Send money you can light 10 candles nothing. Poor kid on his way to school. Where was God. There is no God.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 12:22 am
    • God is only there if you ALLOW him to be. If you cursed my name and told people I was not real, I would not defend you in your time of need either.
      I will pray for YOU tiffany. It is now when you need God the most.

FYI- God allows the evil in this world to exist so people who do believe, can see his miracles.
      This is not the time to let everyone know that YOU do not believe in God, when so many others who DO believe, are awaiting his miracles.

Bless you Sebastian.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 11:01 am
  • Stay strong

(HOPE) is to see the invisible feel the intangible and Achieve the Impossible

God is great just believe in him !!!!!

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 12:07 am
  • “BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF PRAYER”

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 11:18 pm
  • Praying for you Sebastian and your Family! May God wrap his arms around you and your Family.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 9:49 pm
  • People… this is someone’s child no need to be rude . It was an accident !
    Just pray for this Young man !

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 9:42 pm
  • Praying for you young man and your family

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 9:06 pm
  • Praying for Sebastian and family, may God give them the strength they need to go through this awful time .. come on baby fight!!!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 7:17 pm
  • You got this bro god bless you man

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 7:05 pm
  • Praying for Gods hands on this child and family! We are praying hard!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 6:32 pm
  • @nomerci, That is his uncle.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 6:27 pm
    • thank you!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 8:41 pm
  • Prayers to this young man as he clings to life in his hospital bed not knowing what tomorrow will bring. Prayers to the family and friends that are gathered around to support and pray for Sebastian. No matter what took place or how it all started, People are hurting so bad right now show some RESPECT and compassion and lay aside all the he said they said stuff. That’s not going to solve a thing. Instead open your mouths and hearts and pray for the family and friends of this child. Sabastian prayers have been lifted for you and the family before the hospital, at the hospital and even after leaving the hospital. God bless

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 6:26 pm
  • Prayers for the young man, but why on earth is his parents allowing him to ride a motorcycle?? Motorcycles are dangerous especially around here..prayers for a full recovery.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 6:20 pm
  • So sad to see this sort of stuff. It’s not always the motorcycle fault and that give them a bad name.. People just don’t watch when they’re driving especially old people. Prayers to
    Him and his family <333

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 6:10 pm
    • But given we live in a world where Newton rules, it might not be the motorcyclist fault, but most often they end up on the loosing end of the encounter. Hard lesson to learn at 16, may he recover fully to ride another day.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 8:48 pm
  • Hi, im shay ik this guy sebastion, im in endeavor academy the next door school behind central and what happened is true he did get hit REALLY hard he needs 3 brain surgery’s he was wearing a helment but was hit very hard i pray for his well being. God bles

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 5:46 pm
    • Thank God for the helmet. I’m sure it’s the reason he will be around to talk about this horrible situation.
      You only get one head – RESPECT IT. Good move Sebastian! Praying for you!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 8:47 pm
  • .It is every parent’s worst nightmare To have a young driver out there and then the unthinkable, a policeman comes knocking on your door. Parents teach young drivers,Do the speed limit, Stop at all stop signs!! even in parking lots, Make complete stops at all red lights Before you turn right on red,yellow means slow down,not speed up,Don’t tailgate,

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 5:25 pm
  • Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery to this young man. Thoughts are with all his family and friends at this terrible time.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 5:19 pm
  • Young and inexperenced driver,very sad,will be saying prayers for a full recovery.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 5:10 pm
  • Any more updates?

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:57 pm
  • Sending prayers to all involved!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:47 pm
  • I’m praying for you Sebastian, love that smile can’t wait to see it again, you and your family are in our thoughts .

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:34 pm
  • Please keep praying we want him back with us God will keep him alive he loves his children and will protect him

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:33 pm
  • *silents

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:28 pm
    • Ashely, Did you learn how to spell at Central High School ? You Need to go back and retake English class. It’s silence, Einstein .

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 5:43 pm
      • Omg, this is better than Facebook comments!
        XD

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 5:14 pm
  • Get better sebastain, School was slow and quite today many moments of ailments were also made for you. Come back soon

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:27 pm
  • Does anyone know if he was wearing a helmet? If this kid has sustained a head injury it is difficult to find help or someone that understands. Please let the family know that we have a TBI traumatic brain injury support group in Hernando County. It may be the only help they get. We can be reached on face book. TBI of Hernando County Prayers for Sebastian

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:24 pm
  • Prayers being sent for Sebastian and all the family’s involved. Fast recovery kid.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:22 pm
  • God Bless him, protect him and give him strength for full healing! <3

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:21 pm
  • Praying

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:18 pm
  • Praying for him and his family and friends !!!!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:05 pm
  • Prayers go out to all involved. Prayers for Sebastian that he recovers fully. May this also be a lesson to young and old drivers that your eyes must be on the road at all times. Meaning no cell phone calls or texts. Motorcycles are a material thing. A human life of a loved one can not be replaced.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:01 pm
  • That is what happened. Sebastian is alive. He is still brwathing and responsive. He is still in bad condition but there is a good shot he will fully recover

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 3:34 pm
    • Thank you for the update Lily. May God be his copilot on his journey to recovery.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 6:22 pm
  • Regardless of what happened, Sebastian is a wonderful, kind, special young man and it makes me really sad to see this happen to him. I will be praying for him and his family.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 3:17 pm
  • Praying

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 3:15 pm
    • Didn’t expect to see you here.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 5:13 pm
  • You’re in my prayers Sebastian.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 2:55 pm
  • I pray for this young man as I took care of him all morning. Regardless of what the incident was, he is loved by his family and the obvious waiting room that was filled by his fellow teammates. I pray for you and all affected!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 2:54 pm
  • Praying

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 2:39 pm
  • Praying for victim and family and others involved in the accident.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 2:16 pm
  • Praying!!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 1:55 pm
  • Let us all be reminded that no matter how it happened, someone’s child is in serious condition. We should all be fixated on his recovery & long term health. Let us all pray for not only him & his family, the other two drivers that were involved.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 1:49 pm
  • May god be with him and his family I’m so hurt and lost for words please everyone give a prayer

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 1:49 pm
  • Sorry Ala but RNRF received their info from the FHP report, who gets their info from eyewitnesses, so I would say that it happened just like that

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 1:40 pm
  • Yes, it is a tragic and probably avoidable event. I’d guess that excessive speed or lack of focus was the cause? Teenagers on motorcycles are a bad mix. Regardless though, hope he pulls thru. And may this open the eyes of his peers and all young drivers regarding the fragility of life…that you cannot live life recklessly (whether it be drugs or driving). Accidents happen. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 1:37 pm
  • Regardless of what happened, i pray that h recovers 100%.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 1:17 pm
  • And HOW would you know this Ala? We’re you there?? Did you SEE it??

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 1:12 pm
  • So please enlighten us as to what “really” happened.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 1:12 pm
  • That’s not what happened !

This is a lie !

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 12:32 pm
    • This is what Happened according the report we were given from the FHP. As stated in the article, we proceed with the information presented to us from them. If something were to change we will update our stories to reflect that information accordingly.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 1:13 pm
      • is your Dad the actor? LOVED 29th Street!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 1:52 pm
  • You are in everyone’s thoughts Sebastian! Everyone is hoping for a speedy recovery. The school has been quiet all day.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 11:59 am