Chaos Erupts in Local Bar After Property Owner Disconnects Power

HUDSON (PASCO) – Patrons of a local Bar & Grill were left literally sitting in the dark Saturday night and it wasn’t because management hailed “last call for alcohol.” That according to several disgruntled customers of the now closed BB Magee’s Bar & Grill, located at 12400 County Line Road.

According to bar owners, Scott and Kathy Dewey, it was a packed house Saturday night with around 200 patrons enjoying drinks, live music, and shooting pool. Around midnight, and completely without warning, the power shut off. Turns out, the building’s owner Devin Tocco who also owns Opinion’s Lounge in Brooksville, cut the power – believing that the Dewey’s lease had officially expired.

The move sparked a near brawl between bar patrons and Tocco’s entourage, which included Tocco’s personal attorney. Sheriff’s Deputies from Hernando and Pasco responded to the scene to prevent physical altercations and they also forced Tocco to immediately turn the power back on.

We spoke to Scott Dewey by phone today and he says Tocco most likely violated several Florida Statutes and regarding disputes between landlords and tenants.

According to Florida Statute 83.67, A landlord of any dwelling unit governed by this part shall not cause, directly or indirectly, the termination or interruption of any utility service furnished the tenant, including, but not limited to, water, heat, light, electricity, gas, elevator, garbage collection, or refrigeration, whether or not the utility service is under the control of, or payment is made by, the landlord.

Dewey also says his lease did not officially end until August 1st, not on July 30th as Tocco claims. He also says that Tocco did not follow proper eviction procedures and that he actually has documentation that would allow him to stay another 30 days if desired, but that wasn’t his plan, says Dewey.

Dewey says after he and his staff cleaned the bar and was out of the building within 6-hours following the incident.

I spoke with Devin Tocco in person today and he claims that Dewey overstayed his lease and that he was warned to vacate the night before. Tocco believes he was within his right to disconnect the power but says he voluntarily reconnected it when law enforcement arrived.

Devin says Dewey owes him “a lot of money” and that he destroyed the bar before leaving on Sunday morning. I asked if he would show me the damage or explain what was destroyed but he was reluctant to comment further.

Dewey says he’s already secured a lease at the former Handle Bar venue, located at 16406 U.S. 19, and plans to reopen as soon as possible.

Tocco plans to open his second Opinion’s Lounge at the former BB’s location in the coming weeks.

It should be noted that Tocco served less than two years behind bars, after pleading guilty to a 2009 charge of leaving the scene of an accident involving death in Citrus County. After his release in 2013, Tocco began serving 5 years of felony probation. Before completing the terms of his probation, Tocco was arrested again last July for his third DUI.  Judge Kurt Hitzemann sentenced Tocco to just one year of probation, which was terminated in June of this year.

UPDATE: 8/2/2016, 8:52 A.M. – Several viewers have voiced concerns over the ownership of Opinions Lounge’ liquor license. In Florida it is illegal for a convicted felon to possess a liquor license. There are reports that a family member currently holds the license.

dewey Tocco BB 1

Comments
  • Scott had been out, the place cleaned up with the floor even mopped by Sunday. RealNewsRealFast was told of damage to the bar Devin was challenged to show, which of course he couldn’t.
    Monday the pool table, jukebox, etc., vendor who rents out pool tables to bars and whose business is behind the old BB’s and also a friend of Scotts, went in to take the money out of the tables and machines. Everything was, of course, fine.
    Few days later the vendor gets a call from Devin saying he is going to remodel the place and needs the tables out of the building. The vendor goes in and finds the felt on his tables slashed and poor, half bright Devin trying to sell the idea Scott did it.
    Trying to sell the idea Scott tore up Scotts’ good friend’s tables as proof of Devin’s falsehood to RNRF about damage.
    Peggy, the widow of Devin’s father, is the owner of the property and likely owner of the liquor license. She apparently is letting her boys do whatever they want.
    The new BB’s really looks nice.

Monday, 8 August 2016, 7:49 am
  • Are you serious right now?? He killed someone drunk driving! He is believed to have killed another, he has also been caught drunk driving since he killed the man in Citrus County.. Get it.. He has not learned! The “everyone makes mistakes” statement does not apply here… Again, IT DOES NOT APPLY!! Devin belongs in the slammer and will continue to drive drunk till he gets there.

Thursday, 4 August 2016, 7:49 pm
  • I totally agree with you if that were the case, but it’s not. He keeps re-offending. He hasn’t done his time and thinks he’s untouchable !! 2 more DUI’s after the first DUI manslaughter and he’s on parole after not even finishing 2 years in jail ……….and then all this……

Thursday, 4 August 2016, 11:09 am
  • I also agree with your statement I also know someone that has been convicted of a first-time felony and actually that person really didn’t do it but was convicted anyways

Thursday, 4 August 2016, 9:54 am
  • I am neutral in this conversation as I’ve never been to this bar nor do i know anyone involved in this situation. I just wanted to say all persons convicted of a felony arent bad ppl. There is alot of differences in being a convicted felon. There are violent felons, there are 1st time felons, etc….. I believe it all depends what type of felony a person comitted before they are judged. I have a friend who was 45 years old had a unblemished record and was set up to sell some pills to an undercover cop. I agree he should of not broke the law, But he did and he paid the price with a conviction and is now a convicted felon. Even though this is his 1st time in his life that he was arrested, I feel in my own opinion as long as it was not a violent crime committed and you are a 1st time offender there should be certain circumstances in place for a 2nd chance for a non violent 1st time convicted felon. Ive talked to alot of ppl about my best friends felony conviction and everyone ive asked has agreed there should be some type of statue in place for a 1st time offender after a 5 year waiting period. After the 5 year waiting period from the day of conviction you have not re- offended, There should be some type of leniency. What do you folks think about it? Would like some feedback. Thank You Everyone.

Thursday, 4 August 2016, 9:49 am
  • Thank u opinion lounge u did a great.job with Luigi’s fun raiser. Better days a head . keep ur life straight and don’t worry about ur mistakes in the past.the future gets brighter everyday. We are human and in title to mistakes.

Thursday, 4 August 2016, 4:46 am
    • MISTAKES !!!!! HE MURDERED 2 PEOPLE !! THAT’S NOT A MISTAKE, THAT HOMICIDE YOU FREAKING MORON !! If he had owned up to his “MISTAKES” that would be a totally different story. Money doesn’t give you the right to take human lives and get away with it !! He didn’t pay for his mistakes and he doesn’t care. Geez, what does it take people !!!

Thursday, 4 August 2016, 11:02 am
  • The witness must be a piece of s*** too if they he took a payoff

Wednesday, 3 August 2016, 6:31 pm
  • Devin Tocco is TRASH said it all, I would have to agree with everything he/she said. The one thing I can’t understand is how is family in good conscience can cover up and and help this POS fully knowing what he has done .I’ve heard that they went as far as paying off a witness. How can they live with themselves. In my book that makes them as big a POS as Devin. May they all go to hell for this.

Wednesday, 3 August 2016, 5:59 pm
  • Devin Tocco is a piece of white trash that inherited all his daddy’s money and bought liquor licenses from former bar owners and also had his sister get them because he can’t because he is a murdering alcoholic. Anyone that can kill someone and leave them lying there on the side of the road to die is a cold blooded disgusting piece of crap! You killed someone’s father, or son or brother or uncle, I’ll tell you right now, if it were someone in my family, I would have killed you with my own bare hands. Im pretty sure I speak for most when I say that. And the fact that you pulled other people into your lies and help you cover up your SECOND murder while drinking and driving is beyond me. You deserve to die the same way that they did, suffering the same way that you made these poor innocent people suffer. It is beyond me that you even have any friends. Even worse some are police officers that know what you did and yet still stand behind you. You are filth and quite frankly so is anyone that associates with you. Now that your Daddy isn’t here to save you, I hope that karma finally catches up with you. Money won’t always get you out of everything and God sees everything you do/have done…you will get yours. Until then, enjoy your bars and keep on drinking and driving , LOSER…it is clear you haven’t learned your lesson yet. What’s it gonna take? A third person killed? If you haven’t already?

Wednesday, 3 August 2016, 11:57 am
  • Answer to No Book
    The couple in the first pic are Scott and Kathy. The owners of BBs. It was taken at one of their 80’s night parties.

Wednesday, 3 August 2016, 6:33 am
  • Who are the people in the first picture? Patrons? Cleaning Crew? Entertainers? Managers?

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 7:30 pm
  • I used to know his father when he was alive, he was a regular In my store, was straight up, never a jerk, but always honest. Sounds like his kid learned all the wrong things. Pure white trash, looks like he’s rolling through Andy’s money like a waterfall, guess what it doesn’t last forever, you piece of garbage. Now, since I know you’re reading these, why don’t you man up and admit to killing Vinny and leaving him there? Why don’t you do the right thing, and turn yourself in? Relieve yourself of the burden you’re carrying, that alcoholism? Think maybe it’s got something to do with the fact you killed someone and left them lying in the street? The man you killed was 10 times the person you are. You’re no man, you’re trash, your dad would be so ashamed of you. People should wise up and keep their dollars out of your establishments.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 6:31 pm
  • WOW What a P O S.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 6:30 pm
  • Relax pasco not that serious and you wont be a tough guy shooting a man in the chest at point blank range your probably a fellon or dont own a gun. Go punch him that would prove if you got 3 balls or none. Dont know anyone or care about this story but another tough guy let me stick a gun at someones chest sounds like you wanna be tough guy relax.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 4:22 pm
  • Dirty POS, another tough guy, so many tough guys in this town. Anyone who can drive away from a body laying on the road does not belong free in society, Its only a mater of time before they strike again, As for me, ill just keep locked and loaded, There are no tough guys when a 45 is stuck in your chest.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 3:17 pm
  • I know I for one will never step foot in Opinions. Either one ! Anyone who has disregard for human life like this jerk does not deserve any of my money or time ! So glad the truth about this guy is being told. What a stupid move. Karma. Let’s watch it in action. Also I would love to know his attorneys name that thought it was OK to shut down power to an occupied building endangering everyone inside is someone I also will steer clear from!

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 12:00 pm
  • Yes, but his father sold those places and then died. Now it’s this scum, his sister and mother. But Deven, from what I understand, is the one that is wreaking havoc all over the place.
    From what I understand, his father bailed him out of a lot of messes. Now he’s dead and he needs an attorney who is not all that bright !!

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 11:47 am
  • I was there. The power was cut. Chaos ensued in the dark and I was accidentally pushed into a table. There was a huge bruise the next day. I helped clean up once the POLICE turned the power back on, not Tocco’s entourage. People of his caliber leave little to be desired. Karma can’t come fast enough for this subterranean troglodyte. I would advise no one go to his establishment.
    Good luck to Scott and Kathy at their new establishment.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 11:27 am
  • I KNOW that Scott and Kathy cleaned the bar… Removed the trash…and EVEN MOPPED the floor… He is classy guy. He has also done so much for the community. He has held Food drives at Thanksgiving, Toy drives at Christmas, Fundraiser for Cancer, as well as for people in the community. Good people.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 11:12 am
  • Who the blazes owes Tocco? What does he know that allows him to be free? Is he really another low-life informant who has a license to harass and kill with impunity?
    Boy, would I love to know the real story behind this one!

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 10:48 am
  • One more reason to drink at home and stay away from bars.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 10:46 am
  • Is this the same scumbag whose father owns/owns the strip club by county line??

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 10:45 am
  • Who cares. BBS has moved. Show Opinions I I your upset with them by not spending your money there. End of story.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 10:41 am
  • He killed 2 people within 4 months, both hit and run and he’s out walking the streets and owns a bar, wow I’m at a loss for words.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 10:25 am
  • To the dumb ***** that complain about the past being brought up, IT JUST SHOWS HIS CHARACTER and should be brought up . That way everyone knows what a real SCUM BAG he is.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 9:48 am
    • History always repeats/Dis-bar him and his family.

Tuesday, 9 August 2016, 7:36 pm
  • BB’s isn’t just a bar. Scott and Kathy are family and would do anything for anyone. I was there Friday night and the crowd was there to celebrate the beginning of a new venture for the Dewy’s. Not one of the patrons became physical with anyone, because that’s not the type of crowd we are. What’s ironic is that one of security (thugs) that was there, to protect Tocco and his atttorney, used to work at BBs and we’re treated like family by Scott & Kathy. Scotty won’t let this bring him down, just the opposite. Great things are yet to come. A famous phrase: Opinion’s are like a**holes and Tocco is the biggest one.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 9:45 am
  • He does not deserve to be running a bar…even if he does not hold the license, he should not be permitted to run the place. Time for Hernando county to boycott these establishments. Let law abiding citizens open businesses.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 9:44 am
  • I hope Scott sues him for damages! That was a low life thing to do and what kInd of stupid attorney doesn’t know the law???!!

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 9:23 am
  • Wow I wonder how long he thinks he will be in business?

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 8:28 am
  • He also had a hit and run with a death in 2010 and only served maybe close to 2 years in prison! So he not only killed one in Spring hill but he also killed another in Citrus county!

So I do not understand how he could “own” a bar since he is a felon and how was he the owner/manager of a bar while on felony probation before it was terminated? I guess we have to wait till he gets behind the wheel drunk again and kills another innocent life! This is horrible!

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 8:18 am
  • Wish this was a dry town!

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 8:12 am
    • that makes one of us.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 12:45 pm
      • LOL @ JD

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 4:29 pm
  • I like how you do a report on a event and then bring up old crap on people that has nothing to do with the article all about trying to ruin people’s lives… nobody cares bro lol get a real reporting job

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 8:11 am
    • because a felon cannot own a liquor license maybe? A FELON should do their time, not be released every time they get sentenced…only an idiot supports a FELON and worries about their reputation more than the rights of the victims…

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 9:33 am
  • why i take my bicycle to places like croom. too dangerous. too many people high, can barely see, in a hurry, on the phones, on medication, drunk, not paying attention etc etc. sad though he drove his bicycle to earn an honest wage and became a victim of a hit and run. so many crazy characters out there in society. thats the reality though. hit and run, got to prove it nearly 100 percent these days. gold colored impala hit us hard at walmart parking lot while we were parked, wedged itself under our suv managed to get free and took off dropping parts. we called sheriff said unless we had a plate the person could deny it if they even found them and nothing could be done. seen another car strike a car on us19 at corner of northcliffe and 4 cars from a marked patrol car that a activated its emergency lights attempting to stop the car but it took off over the median and into oncoming traffic the deputy immediately stopped pursuit. we called dispatch and they informed us hernando has a no pursuit policy unless its active felon in which case a supervisor has to authorize. these people get away with all this and just think they can get away with whatever the next time.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 8:00 am
  • omgoodness…. I remember the day this happened…. we were at Lowe’s when it happened…. my heart and prayers go out to Mr Barnes family and friends….
    I don’t understand our justice system…. in California three strikes (felonies) and you get life…. why is he still out and I can imagine still drinking…. Pray we get a better justice system…. especially here in Hernando County…. we should be raising the bar…. being the example of what other county’s should be doing…. maybe less crime and criminals gone…. ohhhh that’s a dream….

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 7:48 am
  • How does a convicted felon get a liquor license?

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 7:32 am
  • It’s amazing tocco found time to do this…. With his busy schedule of killing people with his truck and fleeing the scene. I believe he was the suspect in Vinny Barnes hit and run death on 19 as well.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 7:07 am
  • Went to BB’s once. OK place, but didn’t like the smoke. Will NOT even try Opinion after this. A$$ Hole put lives in danger. Hope he’s charged.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 7:02 am
  • I would love to know the name of the cracker jack box lawyer he has.. he should be disbarred. How do you not know it’s against the law to endanger the public. I was there and was a witness to it all. I had no idea that Tocco was this big of a scum bag till now. We’ll that’s where daddy’s money will get you. Sad I really hope there are no bands that will ever step foot in an opions lounge again . I know 2 of the best in pasco wont!

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 7:00 am
    • Yup!

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 2:48 pm
  • I thought a felon couldn’t get a liquor license.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 6:46 am
  • Light sentences, not prosecuted for hit and run. Its hard to be a good informant from behind bars

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 6:44 am
  • I wonder what kind od liquor license Tocco has that allows a convicted felon to own and use the license?

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 5:11 am
  • this is why there are so many idiots in Hernando County, when they screw up, the justice system spanks them and than puts em back on the street.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 4:08 am
  • You can not “own” a liquor license if you have any felony charges against you either pending or past. Tocco’s ownership and license needs to be looked into by Hernando and Pasco county as well as the state of Florida.
    Seems to me he’s paying his way out of his trouble. The man needs to be locked up, why are Pasco and Hernando prosecutors afraid of him?

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 12:56 am
  • No body gives a flying **** about his background story . Do your job and report news, not spreading rumors .

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 12:56 am
    • Someone got butthurt…

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 9:43 am
    • No rumors !! You can look up his record of convictions. As far as Scott, he’s squeaky clean 🙂 Someone is aggravated over this I see. Truth hurts numbnuts

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 11:14 am
  • I think Scott & Kathy did an excellent job in spite of a childish act made by the property owner. The majority of the patrons remained calm using their phones for flashlights. Makes you wonder about Tocco’s attorney. Did he not know the statute they were breaking. Ummm!!!

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 12:11 am
  • Devon does what he wants when he pleases because he can, he doesn’t own anything because he’s a convicted felon his sister does and it’s only a matter of time before he kills a third person… What’s justice again?

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 12:11 am

Hmmmmm. Look at who they think killed this guy too.

How can you own a bar?!

Monday, 1 August 2016, 11:25 pm
    • The only reason this piece of SCUM owns this plaza at all is because his father died and it was left to him, his sister and his mother. None of them, in my opinion, are worth anything !! He only got away with all this stuff because of his daddy’s money !! He is nothing but a spoiled little brat that had a beef with Scott nobody knows why. Jealousy I presume. He wanted to open his own place there and pushed Scotty out.. I play pool there every Thursday night and know Scott and Kathy Dewey personally and they are wonderful people. They give back so much to the community. It’s a shame this happened over a spoiled little boy that didn’t get his own way and has to have an attorney fight his battles now because daddy is no longer here to wipe his a**. He makes me sick !!
      I have to add, after all the crap this kid pulled for the last month or so, Scott has kept such a cool head. If it were me, I don’t know what I would have done to this little turd. I do know this, I will never enter that place again and will pay for a taxi to go to the new place that Scott and Kathy have worked so hard to open by this time.

Tuesday, 2 August 2016, 9:01 am
  • His 3rd DUI and he gets probation…

Monday, 1 August 2016, 11:18 pm
  • I was personally there and not only witnessed the bar get moved out and cleaned but was one of many to help do so. Everything Devon claims is that of a pathological liar because I truly believe he even believes his own lies.

Monday, 1 August 2016, 11:02 pm
  • Wow… Out of This whole entire story THE ONLY thing that I’m like w.t.f is the last part where he charge with certain illegal thing he committed and got only 5 years paper VOP and got 1 more year paper and than it done… LMAO only in Hernando I swear .. not what you know it’s who you know orrrrr who drinks at your bar I guess .. smfh

Monday, 1 August 2016, 10:47 pm
    • Pasco co is where bar is located.
      Citrus co is where he left the scene of the accident.
      geography learn it