Children Suffer in Sweltering Heat After A/C Failure at Two Schools

WEEKI WACHEE – Hundreds of students at Weeki Wachee High School and Winding Waters K-8 are sweating at their respective schools today and it’s not because of test time jitters.

RNRF received calls from concerned parents this morning, stating the air conditioning was shut off at both schools.

We contacted Eric Van de Boogaard with Hernando County Schools, who said a blown gasket in the heat exchange unit is to blame for the failure. Unfortunately, there is no way to know when the unit will be repaired, according to Van de Boogaard.

Some parents have decided to pull their students from school today, rather than have them endure the sweltering heat.

We will bring more as this story develops.

ac fAILERU

Comments
  • Thank you RF. Well done. Now i will go study uop this type of system.
    Thanks

Wednesday, 3 June 2015, 6:49 pm
  • Both schools (right next to each other )run off a common chilled water plant the chillers cool the water that feeds the coils of the air handling units. If you lose the chiller/chillers then you lose chilled water to both schools air handlers….what is hard to understand is why is there no redundancy. Normally schools have backup chillers, unless the backup is down too.

Wednesday, 3 June 2015, 11:17 am
  • Im confused, both school buildings work off of one heat exchange unit with a broken gasket?
    I know nothing about the AC set up, but in our large medical building that I work at, we have multiple units and air handlers. If one zone goes down the others still work.
    Come on, there must be an AC person out here who knows….?

Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 8:26 pm
  • You people are so funny, We did not have AC when I went to school just fans at HHS. It is Florida don’t like the heat go back up north. That is whats wrong with kids today pampered to much.

Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 3:57 pm
  • Welcome to the sunshine state where It’s oh yeah HOT! Imagine that. Annoyed parent there are water fountains at school he doesn’t need a waterbottle. Surely none of these kids play sports in this weather huh?! Too many whiners and Yes Pat they are wusses.

Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 2:11 pm
  • What does new your have to do with it? New York sucks , I’m from there that’s why everybody moves to fl. Schools need to have ac. Kids that are trying to learn can’t when there sweating and there body is trying to compensate for the heat. Takes the focus off learning.

Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 12:15 pm
  • Welcome to New York where comfort is key and taxes are the right thing to do?

Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 7:39 am
  • Really, dangerous! Wow what a bunch of wusses we have now. How much more of a relaxed dress code can you get than the students I see! No wonder this country is in the shape it is.

Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 7:18 am
  • 90+ that was an autocorrect failure, sorry

Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 2:45 am
  • To those of you saying that you went to school with no ac & that these children are spoiled…how ignorant! These schools were not built to maximize breezes it was 89, 92, & 94 in the three rooms that my son had academic exams. There was no fans and the students nor teachers were dressed for the heat and the windows only open a few inches wide. and to top it off they are not allowed to bring backpacks this week, so my son on crutches doesn’t even have a way to carry a water bottle with him. When I called the schoolboard I was told by the superintendents secretary that it would be 4-6 weeks before it was fixed & when I asked what they were going to do for the students she said “what do you want us to do they are 20 miles away” I asked for a relaxed dress code & that fans be brought in and I suggested that alternative testing sights be made available at least for ESE students who receive accommodations for extended time as they will clearly not be using that extended time if it’s 90+ degrees in the classroom. She then says “it’s not a school board problem it is the principals problems.” Last I checked my taxes went to the school board, not directly to the principals. and to those that said absences will be excused, at the high school level they will only be excused once your child has met their academic obligations – meaning once they have finished taking their exams. I personally feel like exams should be cancled & the schools closed 99+ degree classrooms are dangerous to both the staff & students & does not lead to a conducive learning environment.

Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 2:33 am
  • Preventative maintenance??? What a joke,school board doesn’t want that,it makes too much sence!!!

Monday, 1 June 2015, 11:16 pm
  • Blown gasket? What’s the real deal …. knowing about it….curious

Monday, 1 June 2015, 9:22 pm
  • Parents and students should be upset. Prisons have AC for the inmates, why shouldn’t the students. As a tax payer I am upset. Preventive maitanence goes a long way and saves money in the end, Once again schools getting overlooked and mis-allocation of funding from county administration.

Monday, 1 June 2015, 8:36 pm
  • Thank you R.W.! Boohoohoo! A little sweat wont kill nobody especially kids these days most need a good ol’ fashioned reality check. Thinking life is hard without air conditioning. Shame on the parents who got upset, surely most of you survived hot summer’s. Go school board make em’ wait.

Monday, 1 June 2015, 7:53 pm
  • spoiled brats! i never had ac in our schools or school buses in the 80’s. your in FL people ac is a luxury, if your ac goes out at home do you have a back up? ya a fan!

Monday, 1 June 2015, 7:42 pm
  • I went to school and there was no Air conditioning at all. Everyone signed up for Biology Lab as it was the ONLY building that had it. 8 years, no Air Conditioning and I still live!!!

Monday, 1 June 2015, 6:20 pm
  • Hey Bugman That’s why they are in school so they don’t have to work in a hot warehouse. Lmao

Monday, 1 June 2015, 6:00 pm
  • How old is the system? Someone’s brother in law didn’t do the job right…

Monday, 1 June 2015, 5:29 pm
  • Hernando High has been without AC for a while.,.. What’s going on??!?

Monday, 1 June 2015, 4:46 pm
  • Wow,,,it is a wonder we oldsters are still here we never has AC. Don’t know about this world…

Monday, 1 June 2015, 4:18 pm
  • I bet senica did the ac work being everything they install breaks.

Monday, 1 June 2015, 4:11 pm
  • What are they going to do about exams? I’m a student there and honestly, the heat was ridiculous. Definitely wasn’t expecting that when I walked into school. There was no escaping the heat. I’d prefer to stay home in my house WITH A/C. But, I’d like to know what they’re doing about our finals…

Monday, 1 June 2015, 3:40 pm
  • wait til they get out in the real world and work in a warehouse setting where its 110 and NO a/c, welcome to adulthood, not that its right, just that it happens everywhere, whether young or old

Monday, 1 June 2015, 3:08 pm
    • amen

Tuesday, 2 June 2015, 7:46 pm
  • Shouldn’t have been school anyways this week. Now my kids have to go back tomorrow morning for a PE exam then I can get them out early again smh

Monday, 1 June 2015, 2:37 pm
  • HOME DEPOT LOL

Monday, 1 June 2015, 2:05 pm
  • LOWES AND HOEM DEPOT HAVE BEEN GENEROUS AND DONATED FANS

Monday, 1 June 2015, 2:05 pm
  • This is ashame. My son will not begoing the last two days. They should of notified the parents about this. Their was a firetruck nd ambulance at WWk8. Trying to get my son out isa nightmare and the volunteer lady is rude as well. They should have back up for things like this. SO UNCALLED FOR!!!##

Monday, 1 June 2015, 2:05 pm
  • Chile today…hot tamale 🙂

Monday, 1 June 2015, 1:46 pm
  • Was just there for awards ceremony…. it was definitely hot…. but they were doing all they could to make it accommodating….

Monday, 1 June 2015, 1:37 pm
  • Notice from school: If parents should decide to pull their kids from school for the upcoming 2 days, they will be excused due to the heat and unfortunate circumstances.

Monday, 1 June 2015, 1:24 pm
  • The 29 Building at Hernando High has had no A/C for about two weeks now, but no one seems to care.

Monday, 1 June 2015, 1:10 pm
  • The school sent out a phone blast message. The repairs won’t be done until the end of the week and if you choose to keep your kids home the absences are excused for the rest of the week.

Monday, 1 June 2015, 12:54 pm