Citizens Permitted to Carry Concealed Firearms During Mandatory Evacuations

REGIONAL – As weather experts try to pinpoint where Hurricane Irma will make landfall in the U.S., thousands are already under a mandatory evacuation in several south Florida communities. When a major disaster strikes, helpless residents leave homes and property behind for would-be criminals to take advantage of their misfortune. But thanks to recent legislation passed by Florida Lawmakers, anyone who can legally possess a firearm can now carry concealed without a permit for up to 48-hours after a mandatory evacuation is ordered.

Under Florida Statute, Chapter 870, unlicensed carrying of concealed weapons during an emergency is permitted while in the act of evacuating during a mandatory evacuation order. Although the window of legal concealed carry is 48-hours, the Governor can extend that time frame at his discretion. It should be noted that the Governor has the power to ban the sale of firearms and ammunition in certain situations.

There are already mandatory evacuations in Miami-Dade, Monroe, and parts of Pinellas County. Voluntary evacuations are underway in Broward, Collier, and Manatee Counties. Additional evacuations are imminent as the storm approaches the Florida coastline.

Weather experts suggest that Hurricane Irma will skirt the east coast of Florida after making landfall, somewhere near Miami. Residents in Hernando, Citrus, and Pasco Counties could begin to feel the effects of Irma by Saturday and could experience tropical storm force winds by Sunday.

Comments
  • I see no problem with this and neither should you. Thankfully, I have my CCW and will be carrying as normal. People should be able to protect themselves and their families. We have enough to worry about without the ridiculous fear mongering going on in the comments section.

Saturday, 9 September 2017, 8:26 am
  • ENZO I’M WITH YOU. WHAT SALES?????? ALL THE SMART GUN SHOPS WILL HAVE ALL THEIR GUNS LOCKED IN THE SAFE, AND WILL BE CLOSED.

Friday, 8 September 2017, 9:25 am
  • If people have to leave their homes and they own firearms I think it’s necessary that they take them when they leave their homes. After all, some people take advantage of folks whose homes are wide open due to storm damage and having guns left at home is just not a good idea.

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 9:59 pm
  • Did I miss something? What sales? The article is about a 48 hour legal concealed carry law while in a mandatory evacuation.

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 9:29 pm
  • I have no idea Donna, maybe someone will. SORRY Tom and people, but I have a real important ? WHY WASN’T THE GARBAGE PICKED UP TODAY. 8 o click AND STILL OUT THERE UP AND DOWN COUPLE STREETS. Can anyone tell me why, I called Republuc, they said they were picking up today in spring hill. This Republic Service stinks and so will our neighborhoods. Plus the loose dogs will have it all over tomorrow. Help.

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 8:14 pm
    • I live in the area of Francis Cabrini Church and last week when they were supposed to pick up on Thursday, they came on Friday, so hopefully they will come tomorrow, (Friday). If they don’t we are really going to have a big mess due to the hurricane. I know that I have had my trash out since last night and I just hope that coyotes, coyotes, stray dogs or cats don’t decide that they are hungry! If they don’t pick up tomorrow I doubt that they will pick up on Saturday….we’ll just have to wait and see.

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 9:56 pm
      • Joanne Thank you. Let’s hope for tomorrow, Pay for a service and you don’t it. Ours hasn’t been picked up since last thursday, yet 2 blocks down same street was.

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 10:58 pm
        • You’re welcome…they did come and pick up my trash either late last night or early this morning. Also, just as a side note..I was talking to the G-men on Monday, which was a Holiday and I was surprised that they picked up. I had to run and get my trash and get it out in front of the house. I asked them how come they are picking up on a Holiday and the driver told me that the Company had taken two Holidays away from them. That means on Memorial Day, if that is your p/u day they will be there and the other Holiday is Labor Day.

Friday, 8 September 2017, 10:10 am
  • Weather experts say…LOL! Be vigilant people,and remember what Charley did in the middle of the night. ‘Weather experts’ are overpaid practitioners of a pseudo-science,at best.

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 7:18 pm
  • Great, next week we will read about the person that was shot for drinking someone else’s water, bunches of hot tired displaced people toting side arms…

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 6:05 pm
    • You forgot drunk people. You really think these people are drinking water???? I want to come to your area. They drink beer by the suitcase in this neighborhood-water is for baths, plants, car washing, laundry. It would be a pleasure to come where they drink water!!!!

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 9:13 pm
  • I THINK I ENTERED A NO BRAIN ZONE HERE 🙁

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 5:22 pm
  • Seriously why would the governor ban sales when he gets huge donations from the NRA

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 3:01 pm