Crystal River Teenager Struck and Killed, Charges Pending

DUNNELLON (CITRUS) – A Crystal River teen died last night, after officials say he was struck by a car while walking along County Road 488.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, around 9:30 p.m., 18-year-old Caleb Nichols was walking westbound in the westbound lane of CR-488, pushing a shopping cart.

A 2009 Nissan Altima, driven by 69-year-old Raymond Twedell of Spring Hill was traveling in the same direction, near North Gatlen Ave, and collided with Nichols from behind. Nichols died at the scene from injuries sustained in the crash.

The cause of the crash is still under investigation and charges are pending.

Alcohol is not a factor, say officials.

ped fat

Comments
  • I miss you Caleb ? Rest Easy❤ don’t forget to save a seat up there for me ? Love you lots

Saturday, 25 June 2016, 2:25 am
  • Prayers for the family. I do not know this young man, but his aunt is married to a nephew of mine. We do not know or understand why things like this happen, especially to young people; that just makes it harder for me. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of his family and friends. This is a place for condolences, not bickering and slamming older drivers; people where is the compassion?

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 3:21 pm
  • I usually never comment on things like this but Caleb was one of my best friends we considered each other family anyone messed with either of us we had each others back…..he was like that with anyone he was a good man and father, it pains me deeply that he is no longer here with me or that he’ll never see his kid grow up …….I love you brother and though you’re gone I’ll never forget you….

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 2:52 am
  • This is my old step sisters baby’s dad so sad

Thursday, 23 June 2016, 1:18 am
  • Why was Caleb in the road? Did Caleb have on the type of clothes that would help make him more visible? Did Caleb stumble in to the path of the car? Age may not even play a part in this accident.

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 7:24 pm
  • The road planing here is a complete disaster, Roads are way too narrow and street lighting is terrible not to mention no sidewalks to safely walk on, It’s no wonder people are being struck at the rate that they are.

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 4:39 pm
  • Prayers for the family….Now there’s bad drivers of all ages, no doubt on that, but what about sidewalks and better street lights, that will prevent all these fatal accidents……. don’t you think???????

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 1:08 pm
  • Dear Lord, please comfort this young man’s family and friends as they mourn his passing. Bring them Your peace that is unexplainable. Shower them with Your love! Help them to forgive and to trust that You are their way to eternal life. You are in control and You’ve warned us that we will face troubles; but when a tragedy strikes we often want to blame You….we forget that You are not our enemy and that we live in a fallen world. You gave us free choice- such a precious gift! Help us to trust You even when it appears that You’ve failed us. We know it is a lie because You are always always for us and never against us. Help us to understand that Your ways are higher. Give this family peace, Lord! Amen!

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 1:07 pm
  • Can’t believe you’re gone, had some fun times with this guy. Hard to believe this isn’t just one big nightmare. Rest easy Caleb 🙁 Prayers to you, your family, and loved ones <3

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 10:05 am
  • So very sad that a person lost his life. Condolences to the family.

As for the snap judgement on the driver, SHAME ON YOU “Steve”, you’ll be older one day too.

When I moved to FL I bought my “muscle” car from a 73 yr old lady who was taking care of a 63 yr old, the 73 yr old lady was absolutely competent in every way, the 63 yr old lady was disabled & in poor health.

Wait for ALL the facts, “judge not lest you be judged”

Again, condolences to the young man’s family & friends.

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 10:05 am
  • I did not know Caleb personally but I knew his Grandad and gthe whole family for over 40 years. This is such a tragedy and a terrible loss to the family and friends. I am 64 and I still believe that once we reach a certain age, we should be given a driver’s test to see if all of our driving skills and reactions are still the same. My heart as well as my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 8:52 am
  • ??

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 1:11 am
  • I never knew this young fellow–but his Aunt is a daughter-in-law of mine..I an so sorry that this has happened and so ends a young persons life…My heart ,my thoughts and my prayers go out to this heart broken family.

Wednesday, 22 June 2016, 12:01 am
  • Thank you Regina Foy…I totally agree with you!

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 11:21 pm
  • Me and this kid go way back. I still remember the times we hung out at the springs.

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 11:18 pm
  • Prayer to the family and loved oned as well as the ones that lived him…a very sad “accident”, let this family have peace and may god bless you as he will be with you thru this time of loss RIP Caleb, I didnt know you but so sad!!!

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 7:54 pm
  • Bless you Regina . I am also 70 no accidents,no tickets. No near misses . eyesight is great. I driver most of the roads and intersections every one says are so dangerous. They are not dangerous just lots of bad drivers of all ages.

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 7:23 pm
  • I knew a woman who was 83 years old and drove to Daytona Beach every day she worked at the Dog Track and was probably a better driver than most young people

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 7:13 pm
  • Prayers to all Caleb’s family and friends. This is so sad and such a heartbreaking tragedy.

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 6:37 pm
  • Caleb was a cool guy I’m so sad that his gone I’ll miss ya man

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 5:12 pm
  • Very sad, prayers for all involved in this horrific tragedy,

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 5:02 pm
  • Why’s someone almost 70 out at 930 at night ? Time for an eye sight check wake up DMV and start testing old people better now an 18 yo is dead so sorry for the family’s loss.

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 4:03 pm
    • Let the investigation work out before making judgement, as Tom should before posting. I think he lives for the negative feed back. the driver maybe wrong, let them get to the end, then read the report.

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 5:11 pm
    • How dare people say that about elderly drivers, I am a nurse of 70 years old and have an excellent drivers record, great eyesight, reaction time and ect. This makes me very angry to read this. I do not speed or cut people off which I have observed younger people do up and down Mariner and Spring Hill Dr. I am not talking about teens I am talking about people in their 40’s and 50’s, This has to be on a case to case basis, when the time comes for me to stop driving I will. Who ever writes this junk needs to apologize to me and other senior drivers.

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 6:37 pm
      • Let me just say, This was a kid my sister grew up with and it is a proven fact that elderly drivers are more prone to an accident than younger drivers. Not because of their age in particular but because of health issues like sight and hearing. This was an accident yes but it was this mans fault for what happened.

Tuesday, 28 June 2016, 2:51 pm
    • Steve I will forgive your limited faith in people.

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 6:38 pm
  • Prayers for the families.

Tuesday, 21 June 2016, 1:43 pm