Deputy Tries to Break Car Window to Rescue Trapped Service Dog, Captured on Video

SPRING HILL –  Thanks to several observant Passersby, a service dog was rescued from inside a locked car while the owner went shopping in the Winn Dixie grocery store on Mariner Blvd.

According to one witness, “Tyler,” he noticed the dog trapped inside the locked Nissan with the windows up and decided to call 911. Sheriff’s Deputies arrived on scene and immediately determined that too much time had passed and that the animal may be suffering. In an attempt to rescue the animal, one of the deputies used his flashlight to try and break the passenger side window. When that failed he tried using a steel scissor jack to break the window but that also failed. Moments later the dog’s owner exited the Winn Dixie and yelled “Hey, the windows are down.” When deputies checked under the tinted rain shields, they found a tiny crack in one of the windows. One of the deputies was overheard saying “That’s not enough.”

CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO

Deputies escorted the dog’s owner to a patrol car where he provided a written statement and waited for Animal control to arrive.

RNRF was unable to speak with the owner at the scene, so It is unknown at this time if he was cited or if Animal Control impounded his dog.

Bystander Joyce Byrd says the dog was trapped inside the hot car for over 30 minutes before being rescued.  Byrd further stated that she was prepared to bust the window out of the car just before deputies arrived on scene.

Once out of the car, several bystanders provided water and comforted the dog during the investigation.

We will bring more on this story once Officials release a full report.

RNRF captured the incident as it occurred. Click below to watch video.

Comments
  • RNFN, poor accountable for attaching a video to this incident that tells a story which is not true. These people in the videos didn’t not help nor rescue a dog. RNFN chief editor needs to do a better job at screening these story before reporting them to the public. The real story is somewhere out there RNFN, ignorance is bliss and you are helping your readers become more blissful.

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 10:55 pm
      • Sounds to me like Student for Justice needs to sit his or hers butt in a car windows up for 30 minutes.at 85 deg then come back and give a full report of how it was since this person thinks there better at reporting .

The Watcher

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 11:38 pm
      • RFRN failed to report the story in all its entirety, which is expected because of its lack of name recognition, and reported a clear case of harassment to a veteran of the armed forces, which makes RFRN true clown faces.

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 4:44 pm
        • Student of justice you have any proof this guy is a Vet ? looks to me ICE should check you both out him for being stupid and you for being a stupid A**

Have a Great Day the watcher.

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 8:26 pm
          • To All: Peace

First and last time here, other than possible future in court of law, should it be require; 30 years and 8 months (Marine and Army), 250+ college credits in classrooms …degrees in Political Science and History, able to meet with ICE 24/7 or investigators not sure and calling BS blindly or maybe they Jesus and Moses for I haave been judge and sentence by many here.

Over 400 combat missions, over 40 actual engagements, proud never had U.S. personnel died on my watch (Watcher that), over 20 enemy not so lucky, maybe if I could bring them back we be too busied to leave a dog in a car, and you have more than 45 degree view of reality….. sorry for any trouble, not a criminal or so stupid as indicated by some, able to defend myself and provide enough evidence in a court of law without tampering and/or editing evidence. Honest, Proud, and a lot more. Saved more than one dog, under fire and in the bush (this one included); also saved at least one reporter in combat, not once, but twice……..sorry I can’t provide pictures or videos as evidence, a bit too busied at time almost getting killed and that second time was after he tried filming me getting killed (as I looked over shoulder noticed the camera and he enjoying trying to film as I was pinned down by enemy fire……I have plenty of real war stories …not about insults but feel free to continue yours.

I am more than educated and seen enough blood, not Rambo……not movies, not seeking famous or photo ops……and if ever in hell probably run into a Watcher or two….if so see you them…….no more ……peace…… goodbye or see you in court, either way already given plenty of chances to enemy for the killed even helped this dog story, although no one seemed to noticed as focus was on breaking a window, assaulting (not saving a dog)…..and if ever wonder what an ambush felt like…..been in a few, looks like a dog surrounded by hostile strangers….first hand in probably gets bitten……

Remote key…..hint (Why did the door not get remotely opened from afar, as I could see before first pounding attempt at breakage, which failed time after time) ……Why allowed chance, possible breakage of the window……Was it really animal cruelty, the saving/rescue as reported. Although I take full responsibility of dog inside (not hot car……show Win Dixie video and compare with edited version…..and yes been 140 degrees and -40, and Highest temp June 8th was 84. Define direct sunlight….. those dark clouds even on edited version, failed to be edited out.

I am sorry for making a mistake. I am not perfect and not Rambo…. just a human being who saw more than ICE or most your readers and you sir will ever see or care to see. More than 20 (enemy)-0 (from U.S. killed). Sorry I did not get killed and for volunteering when no one asked me. I Can’t put dead insurgents back…. nor helped to give occupied territory back (Mosul)…. never wrote myself awards nor written my own report card like thousands done. Believe it or not, most of them Taliban and other enemy shot first….maybe watcher could had killed me had he actually been the foe and not the instigator, for just can’t imagine coward behavior with such portrayal of offense. Only then, this would never be written….. feel free to run the CIA background check…..Ft Meade, where you will find my old Top Secret clearance among other info…..but I never needed hero day, infantry, silent, not seeking glory, professional, and did not want to ruined that innocent family Hero Day…..taken and sacrificing myself as I done again and again, yet aware and unaware of a hostile public, 99%, not perfect, but honest and proud.

The End…….

Friday, 16 June 2017, 1:11 am
  • Unfortunately we hispanics, will never win!

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 11:59 am
    • This is not about Race ! the Guy should not have left the dog in the car it was just stupid.. And if you do truly know this guy maybe you could speak to him. So get over the race card its about Pets.

Have A God Blessed Day.

The Watcher

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 1:02 pm
      • Racial biases influence every element of our society if you choose to find it. The bottom line is the dog owner was harassed.

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 4:35 pm
    • Winning is winning. He was clearly harassed and should lawyer up.

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 4:30 pm
  • Are you kidding me???? This car had the window seat opened under the blades. They opened the car, gave the dog water and he was not even thirsty. I know this guy, he was in the military for 30 years, SERVED OUR NATION, YOU & ME and just because this family, that not happen to have the best looks ever compared to him, they accuse him and treat him like an abbusive person when I know he’s not! Common people, don’t comment without knowing the reality of the situation!!

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 11:58 am
  • The dog clearly wasn’t having any problems it wasn’t that hot out yesterday. You are all a bunch of retards.

Friday, 9 June 2017, 8:47 pm
    • Screw you Dirt Ball i invite you sit your Butt in a car and a black car at that in a parking lot then get back behind your keyboard and tell me hows things going. And even if was pit no dog or cat or child should be in a parked car i don’t give 2 craps if it was hot or not! And as far as you calling everyone here RETARDS it looks to me the only RETARD here is You 🙂

Have A God blessed day.

The Watcher

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:54 am
    • I have an internal temperature reading when my car starts and external. My car inside with the windows up Im easily with in minutes of where this happened… was 98 degrees. I dont know about you but lock yourself in an enclosed 98 degree area for a while with out water and let me know how that works out for you. see what happened here was your fingers started typing before that thing between both your ears activated..

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 11:06 am
      • It’s called acclimated body. Dog by nature are resilient animals a little heat or cold isn’t the problem. People which have more regards for dogs than they do people are the real problem

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 11:02 pm
    • You sir, are a piece of …. as well as a spammer and most likely, a Liberal at that. BTW, that word you used is no longer acceptable in today’s society, so go back to CNN with all your friends. Get it? Got it? GOOD!

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 12:49 pm
      • Simple minded RNFN follower, marinated in your on filth. At the end of the day, this guy was harassed to dumb it done for you all. The dog owner should lawyer up and clear the air. The dog owner was ready to give RNFN comments of the incident, but the one man show decided not to seek the holistically of the story, big flop on RNFN.

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 4:27 pm
          • Student for justice 4 letters and you can even get that right I’m starting to think you are a True student kicked outta 6 grade 🙂

The Watcher

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 8:21 pm
  • You have to hit the window in the corner that deputy didn’t have the window punch on his key chain? and if its a service dog why wasn’t it with him you can buy those vest on Amazon i wouldn’t have waited 30 minutes that gug is a a $$ hole

Friday, 9 June 2017, 3:18 pm
  • The rules are for everyone else! The service dog classification has real meaning to some but to others it is a vest and entitlements…

Friday, 9 June 2017, 2:45 pm
  • I want Windows like that. By the way, I tried sitting in my vehicle with the windows down one inch…i lasted 5 minutes before i had to get out.

Friday, 9 June 2017, 1:06 pm
  • would you leave your elderly mother in a locked car with the windows closed an no A.C.?? WOULD YOU !!

Friday, 9 June 2017, 12:27 pm
  • Looking at the dog’s eyes you can see he’s stressed. He doesn’t look like he’s been happy for a long time. I agree with Linda – good dog , bad owner. And for mike, yes people do need service dogs!! A relative of mine has 2 – one retired due to age. The latest service dog alerts when certain medical episodes are imminent so they can do necessary precautions to counteract the issue. The dog goes to work with the person and other places. Neither dog looks stressed like this one does. Service dogs also used in court for children’s cases to ease anxiety about testifying to traumatic events.

Friday, 9 June 2017, 8:34 am
    • Good for them. That poor dog ? in that heat! I think the punishment should be to trap whoever left that animal in the vehicle for hours and see how they like it. I’m a huge animal advocate and people who do things like this make me sick.

Friday, 9 June 2017, 8:58 am
  • A note to the police: you can buy a spring loaded center punch that when applied to corner of window will break.

Friday, 9 June 2017, 7:24 am
  • shame on him … good dog bad owner

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 9:24 pm
    • i agree with everything above but whats with all these ” service dogs ” ? do all these people need to bring their dog with them everywhere they go? just get a dog and take it for walks and what not. do you have to bring it to the damn store or some other place where no one else would normally bring their pet?

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 11:35 pm
      • Look here Yes people with service dogs do need them and need to take them everywhere they go. Mine gies with me to the grocery store, to the dr, restaraunts, etc. yes I need to bring him everywhere with me. I have PTSD and am a Veteran. My service dog is to help me be able to go out in public with my family and deal with like you who dont really understand what service dogs are really for. The people that have them that use their service dogs properly dont abuse the sytem. My dog knows when Im having an episode in public and when he needs to get between me and another person that he thinks will upset me. He makes sure noone gets close to me.

Friday, 9 June 2017, 5:51 pm
        • ok abby74 point taken. i imagine more people than ever need service dogs

Friday, 9 June 2017, 7:41 pm
  • its a service dog. it goes with you, it does not get locked in a hot car. second its parked in front of the winn dixie, as an officer you use general logic and have the store make an announcement over the intercom system and if all else fails you use a collapsible baton aka asp and that safety glass is gone 1 2 3. you do not use your flashlight. either way hopefully the owner had a wake up call and the animal never has to endure being locked in a hot car with out water again.

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 8:41 pm
  • It’s a good thing none of your regular readers were there. Once they realized that dog was a “pit bull”, they would have tried to plug up what little ventilation there left.

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 8:22 pm
  • The laws protect the animals left in cars better than children

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 8:09 pm
  • The dog also has a working dog vest on which adds to the heat and if a true working service dog then it has the right to go into the store with the owner if an ADA Service Dog… Why not just leave the dog as home if youre not going to take him in…

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 8:07 pm
  • If the guy wasn’t going to take the service dog inside the store then why did he take the dog with him in the first place? He doesn’t deserve to own a dog!

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 7:56 pm
    • So he can have a distraction while he drives.I agree with no merci.You can tell over half these vest wearing dogs are not even trained service dogs.Too many people faking vests so there dog can sit on there lap while they drive.I see atleast 2 a day on drivers laps causing the driver to swerve multiple times.If anything sit in the back and let the dog drive by itself as they are probably better drivers than the owners.Should get a heavy fine for that but we know the cops dont do sh$t around here

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 9:34 pm
      • thank you!

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:15 pm
  • BRAVO TO EVERYONE INVOLVED!!! THANK YOU!! you can buy those vests online. that’s probably what that D-bag owner did.

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 7:42 pm
    • The owner is the most honorable person I know and has done more than what our country has ask him to do. Easy cowgirl!

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 4:17 pm
  • If truly a service dog take it with you. If not, leave it at home!

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 7:39 pm
    • Exactly, some people are idiots.

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 10:34 pm
  • aren’t service dogs allowed into the store? this guy needs to lose his dog or get a repeat 101 at the very least!!

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 7:26 pm
    • If the dog is an ADA Service dog then yes but if a working dog not needed for disability then they can be denied. But leaving the vest on adds so much heat to the dog and one of the reasons that many police K9’s dont wear bullet proof vests.

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 8:09 pm
    • Unless you are wearing his shoes and have done for your country what he has done , you are clueless and ignorant with your shallow simple minded assumptions.

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 4:12 pm
  • Lets put him in the car with the windows rolled just a crack.. see how long he survives IDIOT

Thursday, 8 June 2017, 7:19 pm
    • You sound like one of those people that have your pet sleep in bed with you , after it finishes licking themselves clean, you roll over to accept affection for your pet with the same tongue – clown

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 4:08 pm