Detention Deputy Arrested After Slapping Inmate – Caught on Video

UPDATE: 4/19/2016, 5:05 P.M. – According to officials, Leann Hindman has now been terminated from the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office.

LAND O’ LAKES (PASCO) – A Pasco Sheriff’s Office detention deputy was arrested Tuesday morning, one day after slapping a female inmate at the Land O’ Lakes Detention Facility.

According to an arrest affidavit, 47-year-old Leann Hindman slapped an inmate who she says cursed and threw water on her.

As shown in the VIDEO, Hindman handcuffed the inmate, secured her to a chair, and then proceeded to slap her across the face. Hindman says the slap was in response to the inmate pinching her hand, but officials say the pinch occurred well before Hindman slapped the inmate.

Hindman is charged with one count of Battery on a Confined Person and posted a $250.00 bond the same day.

Hindman is a 20-year veteran of the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. Her future with the agency is not yet known.

hindman slap

Comments
  • I spent some time as a CO at the Hernando County Jail in 2005. Worst 6 months of my life. The other Guards and Administration were the worse inhuman animals I have ever seen. Hell I could deal with a murder, Rapist, Robber, and drug dealer all day long, it is the staff and Administration that were the worst. It is a very simple process, you treat with respect you get respect in return. Yes an inmate can push you beyond belief and it is their goal to get a CO in trouble because it is their only way back at the system that they chose to be in. But we must treat everyone with respect.

Friday, 22 April 2016, 12:49 pm
  • Over 11 years I worked for Florida DOC Hernando Co Jail & Pinellas County Jail. I could not believe the corruption I had seen, Dating back to 1993. Racism staff on staff, Staff on Inmates, Inmate beatings. Cruel & Unusual punishment in the Juvinile Boot Camp in Sumter CI. CCA ran Hernand for some time. That is a story in its self. Pinellas County was the worst. Inmate beating in C Dorm in Max Security. Cpl Scarborough at the time loved beating up drunks.that came into booking. This is a job I dont miss!

Friday, 22 April 2016, 1:13 am
  • over 11 years I worked for Florida DOC Hernando Co Jail & Pinellas County Jail. I could not believe the corruption I had see, dating back to 1993. Racism staff on staff, Staff on Inmates, Inmate beatings. Cruel & Unnusual punishment in the Juvinile Boot Camp in Sumter CI. CCA ran Hernand for some time. That is a story in its self. Pinellas County was the worst. Inmate beating in C Dorm in Max Security. Cpl Scarborough at the time loved beating up drunks that came into booking.Ienviroment dont miss the

Friday, 22 April 2016, 1:10 am
  • This woman is not cop ,She a low level jail house deputy, taking out her anger because she has the worst possible job in America…Who in their right mind would aspire to be a guard. And who the hell is she to put her hands on anyone. Perfect example of a coward , But when she gets arrested she is crying hahahaha Pathetic ..After she was booked a deputy should of slapped her for stupidity.

Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 10:16 pm
  • At no point in time was the inmate secured to the chair.

Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 9:16 pm
  • Proud Veteran, I agree, however, this might have been the straw that broke the camels back.

Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 6:53 pm
  • She been doing this for yrs i know personally i seen her do this before when i spent a time in there myself I’m surprised she hasn’t got caught sooner or terminated

Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 2:05 pm
  • Sue

Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 1:57 pm
  • If yall were ever in that jail u would know how they treat you i sat there a year. Them guards treat u like ur the dirtunder their shoes. Thats lady was a rude***** hahaha thats what she get. Mrs harper is a **** too they should fire her *** too just saying

Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 8:47 am
  • I think the Deputy was wrong in slapping the inmate especially with the inmate being handcuffed however due to the lack of severity in the situation I feel the Deputy should have been suspended not terminated following an evaluation. This Judges ruling is excessive for this charge. You just don’t go and take someone’s 20 year career and just take it away from them for
    this. This is a simple misdemeanor. Cmon Judge, you need to reconsider or at least give her retirement status. What is wrong with these judges today. They terminate a deputy of 20 years for a slap in the face and give drug dealers, armed convicted felons, etc $2,000 Bonds. What the hell is wrong with this picture.

Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 8:34 am
  • If no waterboard then no slapping damn it.Hope the camera is ok

Wednesday, 20 April 2016, 7:32 am
  • I am no fan of belligerent inmates, but that guard had no right to slap her. The nerve of her. I hope she does lose her job and her good pension too!

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 10:19 pm
  • THATS A DAMN SAME CPL. HINDMEN ALWAYS WOULD RUN HER MOUTH LIKE SHE WAS BETTER THAN EVERYONE AND HAD NO FUCKING RESPECT FOR HERSELF LET ALONE ANYONE ELSE. KARMA IS A FORCE TO BE RECKOND WITH. ALSO MS.MACK AND MRS.L WERE IN THE VIDEO AND THEY ARE NOTHING LIKE WHAT WAS SHOWN. THEY ARE VERY UNDERSTANDING PEOPLE AND NEVER ONCE MADE ME FEEL LIKE I WAS A NOBODY DUE TO THE FACT I WAS IN JAIL. THEY WERE ALWAYS HELPFUL AS MUCH AS THEY COULD BE BEING THEY ARE C.O.s ….DESIRAE PARKS

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 10:00 pm
  • For those of you who condone such maliciousness is ridiclous. No one deserves to have any ones hands put on them. I would love to see how you would do in this detention center. They bring power happy to a whole new level. Thank god your such a perfect patty that you wouldn’t have to experience this. Remember only god van judge.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 8:51 pm
  • She was hand cuffed and getting dragged around,i dont care what was said if i walk up and just slapped people that pissed me off i would go to jail to so good for this dumb ass bitc#,how stupid can you be you know your on video,i can only imagine what she does when there is no cameras around.i would be able to understand if the inmate was out of control or something but that was just a bully with a badge,hitting a cuffed inmate,bet she wouldent slap her in the street without her little badge.she is the reason deputys get a bad name.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 8:44 pm
  • That deputy is wrong. No matter thats someones mother someones daughter. Half the people locked up in that county that are females are wasting our tax dollars. Things they wouldnt dare even be arrested for up north. Well maybe arrested but not kept. Half are prostitutes and drug addicts. Some domestic incidents.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 7:21 pm
  • Lol here goes the flower boys and girls hard at work doing “there job” lol nothing but a bunch of pussys with a cowards badge.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 5:47 pm
  • When you’re a cop, there is a certain level of professionalism required of you. Way to stoop down to the level of the criminals that you so despise, jackass. Enjoy jail. For the record, I’ve never been in trouble with the law I just think this was just as classless as the people behind bars. People wonder why there are riots over cops. Newsflash, it’s because of stupid cops like her that ruin it for the professional cops that actually have some class and dignity.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 5:36 pm
    • Agreed, lets set the record straight though. Correctional officers are those that are rejected from being a regular law enforcement official, who usually lack common sense and intelligence.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 8:19 pm
  • Remember when it was legal 4 your parents to SPANK you. What a joke.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 5:14 pm
  • from somebody that has been in Land o lakes jail under the sheriff nocco regin ….. this is common practice and much worse and i have seen it done when unprovocked

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 4:24 pm
  • Hindman is out of control YES she did SLAP her food locker. I wouldn’t want to be a corrections officer either, but this is wrong She deserves her day in court, (the inmate) that is how it is supposed to work and not slapped around before she gets there..Hindman needs to find another line of work..No I am not a criminal and don’t know any of these people. Right is right and wrong is wrong and this was WRONG.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 3:52 pm
  • I 100% think (not thing….typo) they should be able to slap them.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 3:47 pm
  • No different than a patrol deputy hitting a suspect in handcuffs, she should be fired and charged

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 3:45 pm
  • OMG I 100% thing they should be able to slap them. That was hysterical. It is absurd the deputy was arrested.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 3:36 pm
  • Woody your an asshole. The inmate was clearly handcuffed and she gave the guard no reason to hit her. By being violent doesn’t mean their being in control it simply shows they think they’re above the law. I’m so grateful that the deputy was apprehended for her actions and I pray she is no longer employed at that or any other facility.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 3:25 pm
  • The inmate most likely deserved a good jack slap (most do) but it’s still not allowed. Thinking that the officer has gotten to the point where she can’t control herself enough to continue in that line of work. I know I sure couldn’t!

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 3:14 pm
  • Rights are rights. Her position is to maintain custody, not dole out corporal punishment. The judge decides their punishment, not the detention deputy.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 3:14 pm
  • How many times has she done this before getting caught?

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 3:13 pm
  • You handcuff an inmate snd throw her in a chair and then slap her across the face. Well i think the duputy needs to have a few classes in Anger Management and better customer service skills. Then look for another job.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 3:11 pm
  • that wasnt even a slap she moved her hair out of her face how much crap are these people suppose to take.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 3:11 pm
  • I would have done the same. The inmates can be so rude and vulgar she should not lose her job.

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 2:45 pm
  • How much crap are our deputies suppose to take from the trash who constantly taught them. It’s about time the cops take back control from the idiots under arrest, if the arrestees desire to act like animals than treat them like animals. No, Iam not a cop but supporter of the men and women who deal with our human rejects,

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 2:33 pm
  • I think she firgot the camera was looking so sad for her a good job gone and the embrassment

Tuesday, 19 April 2016, 2:19 pm