Fatal Multi-Vehicle Crash Involving Motorcycle, Several Injured

UPDATE: 6/11/2017, 4:00 P.M. – According to the Florida Highway Patrol, 87-year-old Gladys Bethal was traveling westbound on Little Road in a silver Hyundai, approaching US 19, when she failed to stop for the traffic light and rear-ended a Toyota.

As a result of the collision, Bethal’s Hyundai continued into the northbound lanes on US 19 and into the path of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, driven by 53-year-old Steven Glenn Willard. The impact caused fatal injuries to Willard and he died at the scene.

Bethel and the driver of the Toyota, 45-year-old Patricia Hudak, suffered serious injuries.

The crash remains under investigation and charges are pending, according to the officials.

UPDATE: 1:33 P.M. – The Florida Highway Patrol has confirmed at least one fatality.

UPDATE: 1:14 P.M. – Sources say both directions of US-19 are being detoured around the accident scene.

HUDSON (PASCO) – The southbound lanes of US-19 are reportedly shut down after reports of a multi-vehicle crash near the intersection of Little Road, involving a possible fatality.

There are unconfirmed reports that a Hernando County Rescue Unit, returning from an earlier transport to Bayonet Point Hospital, rolled up on the accident and discovered several heavily damaged vehicles, a motorcycle down, and possible entrapment of at least one occupant.

One sources says the motorcyclist is deceased and that there are possibly two other patients who suffered traumatic injuries.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

this material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ™2013 – 2017 RNRF Incorporated.

Comments
  • As a fellow rider , I came apon the scene in my F150 shortly after it happened , with my three-year-old daughter in the backseat , they had the body covered , I don’t think I’ll ever ride again
    He was innocent and just got caught up in someone else’s mess
    RIP Brother

Monday, 12 June 2017, 11:42 am
  • So sad
    Such a tragedy . .. RIP To the Motorcycle Riders
    And Prayers for his Family . ..

Monday, 12 June 2017, 1:30 am
  • The elderly person ran the light. I think when people get to a certain age they need to retake their driving test. More elderly people cause and get into accidents then anyone.

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 10:52 am
    • Yes a lot of elderly citizens go downhill quickly in a year’s time. Once they reach a certain age they should be required to be tested every year. All medications should be on record with the DMV. Not only does it protect the public, it’s in the interest of the elderly citizen. Elderlys go to the Dr. on a regular basis so their Dr. could give them annual clearance to drive to present to the DMV in lieu of testing. Food for thought.

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 11:56 am
      • I’m not the Young guy in the stateanymore, getting up in the years, But I do agree with you… check the meds they are on before you let them drive.

Monday, 12 June 2017, 5:13 pm
  • That is an absolutely horrible intersection. The Middle Lane clearly states no turn on red comma myself driving through there I get all the way over in the right lane and I go ahead and still make the turn and still watch as everyone will pull up next to me and run the red light and nothing happens. Either they need to make that just a single right turning lane to go northbound or they need to start patrolling it more because this is f****** ridiculous…

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 1:41 am
  • I was shaken to tears passing by the scene of the accident today. I immediately began to send prayers up for all family members and impacted victims.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 10:23 pm
  • My prayers to everyone involved.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 9:43 pm
  • it is not always the cars fault. we we slowing to turn onto the road i live on with the signal on and a 3 wheeler harley hit us dead center in the rear going 60mph when we were doing approximately 10mph. witnesses said he never slowed. totalled our midsized suv..pushed the tailgate in 2 feet and blew oit the rear windows..

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 6:26 pm
  • There needs to be more police coverage on us-19… Way to many driver in a DAMN hurry to get nowhere…. I know everyone has seen these IDIOITS zig-zagging in an out of cars only to get 1 or 2 ahead…..Also way to many drunks driving this highway……..

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 6:13 pm
  • The reason they leave the body out in the middle of the road is because they are conducting a crime investigation. Unfortunately, all items must stay in their original location. And I do believe they have to wait for the corner to inspect the body before they move it.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 6:02 pm
    • I understand that but they could have positioned cars or put up cones or something to shield the body from public view.

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 1:00 am
      • I agree Ryan ! That’s just disrespectful seeing a white sheet. Everyone knows what that means and what’s under it !! As Ryan said, they could have positioned the cars to block the body from being seen so easily…..

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 9:44 am
        • A crash scene investigation has certain protocols that have to be followed before moving or removing any evidence. The officers are not concerned with what passers-by see or think. They have a job to do to preserve the integrity of the scene in the interest of the victims. Respect is owed to these officers who do the job none of us would want.

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 11:59 am
          • Well Said!!!

I know even the deputy and fire fighters don’t like to see this ether… but it’s their job

Monday, 12 June 2017, 5:11 pm
      • you can’t see the body… its under the sheet…quit using your Imagination…
        How do you get past a grave site?

Monday, 12 June 2017, 5:10 pm
  • Prayers to all involved and the deceased and family

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:45 pm
  • Sorry for all involved. BUT, when the weather is rainy, the roads become slick and NO ONE slows down in bad weather; maybe could have been prevented.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:13 pm
    • The weather was not a factor in that accident it was dry sunny and clear view.

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 4:47 pm
  • That intersection has been the scene of numerous fatalities.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 4:55 pm
  • And then some a** speeds in front of all the traffic trying to reroute, cutting off 30 cars trying to make uturn on Little Road…white truck with Electric World logo driving north

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 4:20 pm
  • Keep riding motorcycles and the deaths will keep piling up. Way too many drivers not paying attention.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 4:13 pm
    • If everyone would pay attention people wouldn’t have to stop riding. I drive a truck and ride a bike, I am always on the lookout. I have seen accidents where both sides are at fault. Having people stop riding is the same as people stop driving cars. Everyone needs to slow down and pay attention. Then and only then we can do both more safely.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:14 pm
    • All drivers on any vehicle with a mitor need to pay attention.Prayers for the family

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:17 pm
  • I pulled up to the scene right after it happened… I do have other pictures of all 3 vehicles involved and the bike… such a tragedy:(

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 3:46 pm
    • Can you sene me any pics of the motorcycle through messenger…?

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:20 pm
    • Can you send me pictures? I know the family

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 12:50 pm
  • Sooo sad to see the scene! Praying for the families.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 3:21 pm
  • looked like a late 90s black harley but i cannot be sure, that detour they had was ridiculous. respect to the deceased and hope to the injured

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 3:20 pm
  • When are people going to start looking twice and three times before passing into the lane of a bike? This is getting ridiculous!!! Bikers, wear your helmets……. When will this end?

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 3:12 pm
    • Does not say anywhere who was at fault

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:15 pm
      • A friend of mine witnessed it and said it was two cars that crashed and the guy on the bike tried to avoid it but was unsuccessful in doing so and then other cars were also unsuccessful as well.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 7:13 pm
        • I’m family of the motorcyclist that was killed. We need people who were there and are willing to file a sworn statement about what they saw. Can you please ask your friend that was there if he’d be willing to do that?

Wednesday, 14 June 2017, 10:47 am
        • Please have your friend contact the FHP we need more statements on the accident

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 11:31 pm

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 7:21 am
      • yes it does . read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, 14 June 2017, 10:09 pm
    • Not always the cars fault. Most times its the driver of the bike. Just today saw a bike in the left turning lane decide to cut between two cars, get in front of the 1st car in the left lane and make a uturn on a red light. They think they are above all the rules of the road. Also drive too fast and irresponsible.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 8:17 pm
      • So if everyone always thinks it could be the bikers’ fault, then there should also always be a certain level of conscientiousness on the part of the driver of the car. Drive defensively and avoid situations versus implying someone may have deserved whatever happened. I don’t have or ride a bike myself so I am not speaking from a biker’s perception. Cynicism isn’t attractive.

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 9:52 am
    • He was sitting at the light

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 10:11 pm
      • No the motorcyclist was not sitting at the light he had the green light and the Hyundai blew through the red light after hitting the silver Toyota at a high rate of speed the motorcyclist was not and did not do anything wrong!

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 4:39 pm
  • I am so sorry for family of deceased. I offer up heartfelt prayers for you. For other injured parties also prayers. This is a beautiful state to ride in. Why do some irresponsible drivers have to ruin it for others ????? PLEASE DRIVE DEFENSIVELY, PAY ATTENTION TO ROAD AND CONDITIONS AND WHAT’S AROUND YOU. STOP BEING SELFISH AND SHARE THE ROADS WITH ALL PEOPLE. BIG SHOCK : YOUR LIFE/ERRANDS, ETC. ARE NOT MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYONE ELSES.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 3:03 pm
    • Agree EVERY DRIVER no matter what they are driving need to pay mire attention

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:20 pm
    • And just how irresponsible is it to assume it wasn’t the motorcycle at fault…smh

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 7:20 am
      • I was there and I know firsthand it wasn’t the motorcyclist fault.

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 4:31 pm
        • I am a family member, we need witnesses are you willing?

Tuesday, 13 June 2017, 12:28 pm
        • Joe the family is looking for statements to defend him

Wednesday, 14 June 2017, 2:40 pm
        • Joe, the family needs to get your help, please reach out to them

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 1:05 am
        • Joe, the FHP know exactly what happened,they just would like more statements . There were over 30 911 calls placed on this accident and no one would give a statement beside 4 people . If you were there please do what is right and give your statement please. If you truly seen what happened. If it was your family I think you would want the same .

Thursday, 15 June 2017, 5:08 pm
      • READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE YOU MAKE A STATEMENT LIKE THAT. YES I AM A BIKER FOR 45 YEARS . OLD LADY HIT A CAR AND PUSHED ANOTHER INTO
        INTERSECTION . TWO of my brothers [bikers] seen him lying there. I ride past there all the time .

Wednesday, 14 June 2017, 10:05 pm
  • Please take this down as the family has not been informed yet and it would be horrible for them to find out by seeing their child’s motorcycle like this I am unable right now to reach my son who has an identical bike and I would hate to think that that is my son laying dead in that road

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 3:01 pm
    • MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:09 pm
    • I do not see anywhere that it says the family has or has not been informed

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:18 pm
    • Is he Okay? Did you get a hold of him?

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 7:35 pm
    • identified the motorcyclist that was killed in this accident. He was 53.

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 2:01 pm
  • I think they could have done a better job shielding the body from view.. absolutely horrible

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 3:01 pm
    • Yes they just left him in middle of intersection with white sheet over him not shield or protected.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 5:26 pm
      • He was left where he landed because the FHP has to do a criminal homicide investigation after the investigation the medical examiners office from Pinellas County can then come in and do their job and remove the deceased.

Sunday, 11 June 2017, 4:24 pm
  • Bike information please?

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 2:52 pm
    • had two wheels all crashed up.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 2:59 pm
    • broke

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 3:46 pm
  • Yes, at least one fatality.

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 1:53 pm
  • Yeah there was a fatality someone was laying in the road with a white sheet over them

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 1:24 pm
    • My God it was horrible !!

Saturday, 10 June 2017, 1:55 pm
      • Were you present during the accident? I’m family of the deceased and we need witnesses who are willing to file a sworn statement about what they saw.

Wednesday, 14 June 2017, 10:43 am