Discarded Cigarette and No Smoke Detectors Near Deadly Combination
SPRING HILL – A discarded cigarette nearly cost the lives of two people, if not for a man’s early morning urge to go to the bathroom.
According to Hernando County Fire Rescue Officials, just before 5:00 a.m., firefighters responded to a structure fire at 455 Edison St.
The first unit arrived on scene and reported light smoke coming from the single family residential home. After confirming that all occupants were evacuated from the home, fire crews made an aggressive interior attack on the fully involved bathroom and quickly extinguished the fire. Officials say this immediate action by firefighters swiftly brought the situation under control, thus preventing the fire from spreading throughout the rest of the home.
The occupant states he woke up to use the bathroom, when he noticed the house filled with smoke and fire coming out of the spare bathroom. He quickly alerted his wife, evacuated the home and called 911.
An investigation revealed that there were no working smoke detectors in the residence and that the fire was attributed to a cigarette that was thrown into the trash can earlier in the evening. Both occupants were transported to a local hospital with minor smoke inhalation.
Fire Officials want to remind residents that smoke alarms are a key part of a home fire escape plan and can alert occupants early enough to evacuate safely. This incident is a good reminder to replace smoke alarm batteries every year and to replace smoke alarms every 10 years to ensure they are in good working condition.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ™2013 – 2015 Real News Real Fast, Inc.