Driver of U-Haul Truck Arrested After Leading Troopers on Pursuit, Nearly Runs Over Trooper

WEEKI WACHEE – A viewer tip led RNRF to a the area of Commercial Way and Cortez Blvd this afternoon, where a pursuit between State Law Enforcement Officers and the driver of a U-Haul truck came to an end.

Around 4:20 p.m. a witnessed called RNRF from the area of Forest Oaks Blvd and Commercial way and reported seeing State Troopers approaching a U-Haul truck with guns drawn. While on the phone with the witness, he reported that the truck drove off and nearly struck one of the Troopers.

The pursuit came to an end at the intersection of Cortez Blvd, where Troopers placed the driver into custody without further incident.

One witness tells RNRF that she was caught in the middle of the pursuit as Troopers were attempting to stop the driver. She praised what she says was the “Trooper’s heroic efforts.” She says the Troopers were “trying to keep drivers safe as they pursued the reckless driver.”

Florida Highway Patrol Spokesperson Steve Gaskins provided the following statement: “Trooper Maddux attempted to conduct a traffic stop on a box truck that was driving in a reckless manner on US 19 in the area of Spring Hill Drive.  The vehicle came to a stop, and then took off again.  Trooper Maddux engaged in a pursuit on the vehicle.  The pursuit ended in the area of US 19 and SR 50.  The subject was placed under arrest.”

According to the Hernando County Jail Website, 53-year-old Marty Robert Rossier of Norige, Illinois is currently behind bars. It is not known at this time what charges Rossier will face as a result of today’s incident.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

Visit the RNRF Facebook Page for video recorded during the arrest: RNRF Facebook

run 1 run 2 run 3 run 4 run 5 run 6

Comments
  • I was in the SB turn lane onto Forest Oaks with my work box truck, and stopped short as this idiot started to flee. I had the chance and considered pulling in front of him to box him in, but there were so many cars right next to him, I was afraid if he was desperate that he might start ramming cars to get away, or worse, caught in a crossfire if he had a gun. Then, with the way people are today, I would have been the legal target, and this guy would have been the victim. I’m glad no one was hurt, and that it ended shortly later.

Monday, 12 September 2016, 1:06 am
  • Oh My Gawd…Wingnut. I kinda like your acronym there of me being a hemorrhoid because I am doing what, according to you what Am meant to do…be a big pain in your a** without any effort what so ever. You have quite a wit there huh? The kind of wit that people don’t laugh with but, laugh at. Thanks for the chuckle itt was very much needed.

Saturday, 10 September 2016, 11:58 pm
  • Lol I’m not even going to dignify that with a response say whatever you want to say it has absolutely nothing to do with what happened on 50 and 19 and luckily nobody was killed

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 5:36 pm
  • This started in new port richey he drove in the turn lane for 5 miles, i saw the whole thing he was driving crazy. I watched the police officer get out at at least 4 lights before this nut job started running red lights. Glad no one got hurt

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 5:12 pm
  • I met this blonde lady on pof! Her real name is cathy !

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 4:01 pm
  • Is that Dr.Lynn Hutchinson or are you pretending to be somebody else this week..LMFAO you have been a large contributor to all the drug addicts in this county. He was probably on pills from YOUR fake pill mill. You really need help, you’ll do anything for attention. Do you remember your own arrest? Or is your memory gone from indulging in the pills you prescribed .

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 3:04 pm
  • Glad you’re ok Lynn. Prayers for your sister and family.

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 1:26 pm
  • I was the blonde working on no sleep and that truck was using me as a shield against that trooper at one point in the white SUV I honestly believe he saved my life my name is Lynn and I am so grateful to those brave men for a job well done this guy was going to kill somebody and I’m just glad it wasn’t me or anybody else

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 11:32 am
  • I was there in the middle of it the police officer and that white SUV literally I believe save my life to me he and the Troopers are heroes I am the blonde woman with the cell phone in her hand crying exhausted I have a sister who is dying in hospice I was working on no sleep when this guy and this truck literally came Outta nowhere and if it hadn’t been for those police officers I have no doubt he would have killed somebody

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 11:28 am
    • GOD bless you sweetness !! I just wondered who that lovely blond was ,I never meant to drag THE TROLLS OUT FROM UNDER THE BRIDGE !! May GOD be with you during these very hard and trying times !!!!!!

Saturday, 10 September 2016, 11:47 am
  • Well said Kaybee 1. glad all Law enforcement are ok.

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 10:08 am
  • To Wing Nut – you have an appropriate name.

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 9:59 am
  • “Norige” = Norridge, IL = Chicago ‘burb.

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 7:48 am
  • Great work no one was hurt !!!!!!!!!! Who is the good lookin blonde ??????

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 7:46 am
  • Aaahhhh you people googling IL lmao and saying hes a northerner what if hes from souther IL dummoes thats as far south N. C wow have to google it midwest is best compared to you NE idiots. Have a blessed day.

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 7:18 am
    • We are still fighting the north you know!

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 1:44 pm
  • Just glad the troopers are ok…

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 6:19 am
  • My bad…the link didn’t copy right. 😮

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 6:18 am
  • Yankees are like hemorrhoids, if they come down and then go back up they’re OK, but if they come down and stay down, they’re a pain in the @ss.

Sporting that “husky” physique, he does have a future with the HCSO

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 6:14 am
    • yankees have nothing to do with this…..have you driven around Brooksville lately?????

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 5:38 pm
  • shootem at dawn and send the carcus where ever. when entering florida, the sign says: welcome to florida, all dumb asses head to pasco and hernando county to join our relocation program

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 4:58 am
  • I was on 19 approaching Forest Oaks when it was happening.I was wondering what was going on. I saw blue flashing lights up ahead which were on the State Officer pickup, a State Trooper vehicle, and the panel truck that seemed to stop and then they all moved again with the State Police and that State Officer staying with the truck. I had a funny feeling that there might be a shoot out or something so I stayed back and got onto Forest Oaks. It almost seemed like how police escort a funeral with one patrol car going ahead at the intersection to keep other cars back then moving ahead again. Glad nobody was hurt. Well done to the law enforcement officers, thank you.

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 12:51 am
  • BTW…great job to our Law Enforcement in catching the real bad guys because many are quite mistaken about who the bad guys are in the state. Uhg!

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 12:30 am
    • I am sure they had nothing to do with catching him they couldn’t catch a cold.. He was blocked in by traffic!

Friday, 9 September 2016, 9:44 am
  • I can’t believe I am reading these comments regarding people from the north such as myself. I am a Yankee who moved to Florida, brought a business and raised my children here..btw they are southern born. The ignorance of statements like that perplexes me. The idiots are obviously everywhere. We the people of the United State are supposed to be UNITED. It’s no wonder this country is in the state it is in. Why? Maybe because of the select igoramouses that inhabit it. I often wonder where this state would be economically without all the diversity here. Broke I would imagine. Imagine the impact if every so called Northern or Mid Western person decided not to vacation here or visit the theme parks because they are not welcomed. Imagine if all those people took there businesses elsewhere because of the lac of hospitality. Remember the reason you don’t have a State Income tax purged from your paycheck every week! I would imagine the ignorant would be shoveling shit or pumping swamp water in Welles for a living. I am not one to make rude comments or judge others for there demographic background but, these comments are just plain STUPID and sound so UNEDUCATED! Visit New York or move to New York and you would be welcomed with open arms!!! So I say loose the jealousy, hatred and anger that has overtaken your heart. It is so very sad and not becoming of you at all. That kind of talk is pure TRASH!

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 12:26 am
    • Well said

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 1:33 pm
    • wow….very good

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 5:36 pm
  • J Martin you are a stupid a $$ boy would have hated serving with you. Google illinois, it is considered the midwest, doesn’t matter where he is from, just matters he is obviously running from somethin. Glad troopers are ok. Good job tipster and the troopers. Shame on you esquire, Doubt you ever served except maybe in a restuarant somewhere. Have a nice life stupid person. Bahahaha .

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 11:06 pm
  • he looks rough maybe he was diabetic and his blood sugar was off.. glad no one was injured. shame driving is such a risky part of life.

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 10:26 pm
  • Umm Judy Jordan…..read again it says he’s from Norige, Illinois…..i very well do believe that is “up north”. Who are we kidding? The majority of Florida is transplants from up north, but most everyone in Florida’s driving stinks!!

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 10:23 pm
  • Damn Yankee! Why can’t they keep that crap up there! Why do we have to be the melting pot for every A**Hole in the north to end up here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 9:58 pm
  • I thought Illinois was North. Guess not. Fleeing to elude and attempting to run over a Law Enforcement Officer,….what a piece of Illinois Shit. If Hillary had a son he would look just like him.

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 9:46 pm
  • That mullet looks a lot more Bushnell than New Jersey. Who cares. Great job Dwayne!

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 9:00 pm
  • Who’s the Esquire guy? Not this idiot, I see.

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 8:31 pm
  • great job done once again and J Martin esq your a backward redneck idiot

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 7:17 pm
  • Glad the Troopers were not injured. Be safe out there.

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 7:02 pm
  • Sorry. He is from up north. But it doesn’t change any thing. Not all southerners drive good. Half of them need to go back to school and learn to drive the right way.

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 7:00 pm
    • Not all southerners drive ….WELL.

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 10:01 pm
  • J.M. Esq. I just read the same thing as you and NO WHERE did it say he was from up north. A little prejudice are we..

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 6:50 pm
    • Judy, Judy, Judy, you should brush up on your reading skills. The article clearly said ” 53-year-old Marty Robert Rossier of Norige, Illinois”. Now go back and read it real slow so you can understand.

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 9:54 am
      • It did say it although they misspelled it. Norridge, Illinois is a suburb of Chicago in the O’hare Airport area. Wondering why he didn’t stop though… Hummm ????

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 2:01 pm
  • What was in the truck??

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 6:36 pm
  • At least he didn’t drive into a house like the dumb a$$e$ from the south J. Martin Esq.

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 6:29 pm
  • Another dumb a$$ from the North.

Wednesday, 7 September 2016, 6:25 pm
    • I’m shocked to hear that comment from a lawyer and also a veteran (if your credentials are true)….In the 4 years that I’m here, I have met more dumb a$$es then up north…God Bless

Thursday, 8 September 2016, 5:45 pm