; ;

DV Shelter Employees Puzzled by Transgender Woman’s Request to be Housed with Biological Women

REGIONAL – With recent controversy over President Donald Trump’s decision to reverse the Obama Administration’s federal guidelines that allow transgender students to use the restroom they identify with, a new dilemma has emerged that may affect how the LGBTQ community receives services from state and federally funded domestic violence shelters.

After Democrats introduced the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) back in 1994, heterosexual and homosexual males began filing complaints of discrimination over exclusionary language that prevented them from receiving the same benefits as heterosexual and homosexual women. But what happens when biological males who identify as females try to enter a domestic violence shelter that traditionally only accepts biological females?  That’s what one woman says happened to her when she reached out to several local DV shelters but was turned away.

The victim who we will refer to as “Virginia” says she’s identified as a woman almost her entire adult life but she has never undergone therapy to make the full transition. Virginia says over the last few years she’s been physically and emotionally abused by her male partner and is trying to escape the relationship. During our interview, Virginia said “I tried contacting the Dawn Center but they seemed confused and unsure, so they told me that they would have to call me back with an answer.” Virginia says she never received a call back from Dawn Center, so she called other area shelters that also turned her away or offered services that were intended for male victims.  Virginia says “I can’t stay in a male only shelter – I would never make it in there.” Virginia hasn’t spoken to her family in years, over her change in gender identity, and she has no local friends who can help until she gets back on her feet.

Dawn Center did not respond to our requests for comment but the very next day they did post an ambiguous statement on their official Facebook Page that reads “Did you know that abusive partners in LGBT relationships use all the same tactics to gain power and control as abusive partners in heterosexual relationships?” They go on to explain “At Dawn Center we are proud to offer all services to all survivors of domestic and sexual violence without discrimination.” But that statement isn’t entirely true because male victims of DV are not allowed inside the shelter or most, if not all of the 42 taxpayer funded shelters across Florida. Despite statistically being nearly half of all victims of DV, males are referred to homeless shelters or given enough funds to stay at a motel for a few nights. So that just leaves victims like Virginia who fall through the cracks, even though society’s push for equality among the LGBTQ community says that would be discrimination.

Major Shannon Winters with the Pasco County Salvation Army Domestic Violence Shelter says as long as the victim’s State issued identification card classifies them as a woman then they will be allowed to stay at their shelters. But state law requires that transgender applicants submit a letter from their physician stating that they are undergoing clinical treatment for gender transition. So that still leaves out those who simply identify as women.

We contacted Debra Petersen of CASA, which is located in Citrus County, who was a bit guarded when we asked the same question, but after a short tug-of-war Petersen finally confirmed that they would provide services to transgender women. However, the parameters may be the same as those required by the Salvation Army.

We haven’t been able to reach Virginia since we spoke to her last week, so it is not known if she finally found the help that she needed.

But a perplexing question remains; If you allow transgender women (biological males) into government subsidized domestic violence shelters, intended only for biological women, then what about biological males who identify as males?

• Should only be permitted to use the restroom or facility which match the equipment you are currently equipped with. A driver’s license may assign an individuals preferred gender, however; your genitalia is the real issue here. If it walks like a duck, looks like a duck, well then it is a duck until surgically altered. Sorry but, c’mon now!!!!

Thursday, 9 March 2017, 3:46 pm
    • im not to keen on that idea either. I dont want to be taking a leak and have Andy walk in and lift his skirt and piss in the urinal next to me!

Saturday, 11 March 2017, 7:48 am
  • I’m Sorry Too Jimbo! That I Slept with your Momma

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 3:24 pm
    • Did you show Jimbo’s Momma your ‘ concealed weapons permit’ while you poked her with your peepee ?

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 3:58 pm
  • Hey downrightdisgusted if ya don’t like florida then leave. The Bible Says that is was Adam and Eve! NOT Adam and Steve You must be a Fag Too!

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 9:53 am
    • The Adam and Eve story was meant to be understood as allegorical …….not literal. The earth itself is 4.5 BILLION years old , the observable universe is 13.5 billion yrs old ……..no way the earth was formulated in 6 days along with one man and one woman and a talking snake. The first 5 books of the Old Testament were written by Moses , whom was a turban wearing , camel driving, Hebrew tribal leader that heard voices in his head. If an old man came down off a mountain in today’s society, claiming to have spoken to ‘God’ and wrote down what God said in a manuscript , later made into a book, people would say he was nuts. The Bible is a man-made construct, while it is in fact a wonderful piece of literature, it is not representative of the nature of the universe.

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 1:30 pm
      • Dr. Watts if you cannot feel it in your heart and your soul then no one can explain it to you keep believing in that Zen stuff. I know in my heart we will all face God one day. But he will not accept them who have rejected him. If I am wrong what does it matter I guess I’ll just be a blimp on the earth. If you’re wrong you will spend eternity in hell.

Tuesday, 14 March 2017, 12:38 pm
    • If God made everyone, then he made gays too. Everyone is loved.

Friday, 10 March 2017, 1:25 am
  • ahh the trash of florida speaks. Its ok for you guys to have sex with your mothers and sisters, but being transgender is a mental illness?? The moron logic of florida, gotta love it. But can we be surprised half of you went to school in a swamp so….

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 7:50 am
    • First…..we don’t care HOW you did it ‘ up north’ …….if you don’t like it here, then take yer transgendered, liberal , snowflake booty back where you came from. And take a few rump rangers with you…….

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 10:51 am

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 12:29 pm

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 12:31 pm
  • Look at paris green. He identified as a woman and very homosexual so he was put in the female unit.. but ended up getting removed bc he was having sex with countless female inmates. Im all for do what you want in the bedroom but lets be honest. If you dont have and never will have a menstrual cycle or cant and never can have babies, have an XY chromosome, and have a penis. You are a male. Mentally you might not feel this way but physically you are a male. You can deny reality but denial does not alter scientific fact. You can take all the medication you want, have all the plastic surgery you want. Reality is you are still said gender. Until they have genetic reassignment available, the person is still the gender he or she was born with regardless of personal feelings.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 10:24 pm
  • Im guessing that you’re a rump ranger …….?

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 9:42 pm
  • It hurts my heart that the town where I spent most of my teens and the first bit of my early 20’s is so small minded and bigoted.

I hope nobody you love ever has to go through anything like this, however if they do, I hope they can find a loving and welcoming person to love them while they figure it all out.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 9:27 pm
    • you born male or female if thats dosnt work for you and ya want change do it dont put it onothers to help ya.. im sure a guy or lesiban dosnt know how to comfort a trans. there not trusted with either.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 11:30 pm
    • Pray to who? Last I knew even the church was against this.
      And there is the problem again. If you say something against them you are a bigot and small minded…. Might as well give up and give in. Then what will they want next? Might as well give in to that too…

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 11:13 am
      • Yeah, gays want to take over the world! They’re coming for you next!

No, I’m sure she is having a rough enough time getting through each day. Honestly, what are you scared of?

Friday, 10 March 2017, 1:22 am
  • It hurts my heart so much that the town I spent most of my teen and early early 20’s is so small minded and bigoted.
    I hope and pray nobody in your life ever goes through this.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 9:26 pm
  • NUTZ! If you have them you ain’t a woman yet! Just ask any doctor worth their salt!

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 5:47 pm
  • Would it not be easier to just implement a transgender area in the safe houses. Then have the person go to their genetic gender facility and then segregate based on transgender within the genetic gender home. This type system seems to work for prisons. If the person is under the care of a doctor why would we not accept the medical professionals assessment of an individual.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 5:37 pm

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 5:18 pm
  • IT… Needs a psychotherapist.
    The problem with America, is we keep giving in.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 5:08 pm
  • Special circumstances require innovative & specific responses. If the victim’s partner was a law enforcement officer ( or someone in the community who knew the shelter location) then the staff at the agency would make specific arrangements/plans to assist the victim in securing a safe place to regroup their thoughts. Services are not denied to anyone.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 4:24 pm
  • He made the Choice Now Deal With it.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 4:02 pm
  • HE shouldn’t be allowed in a female center. END OF STORY.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 2:15 pm
  • Un Flipping believable!

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 1:23 pm
  • Since I can’t edit, the above comment is not DVD but DAD

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 1:04 pm
  • First there is 2 humans (male or female) we need ONLY 2 bathrooms, i feel that all this attention to having a trans I dont know what I am gender seperate bathroom is ridiculous! As a DVD I don’t want to see a beastly woman 6’2 in a dress taking a leak next to my son! My solution is you go in the stall close the door and do your business in the bathroom you are Dressed for! I don’t think we need to revamp the system and mandate all public places add a 3rd tranny potty, will the trannies pay for all them?hell no, the government will have to pay, maybe they could take it out of the education funds…NOT!
    My how this world has changed, and not for the good! I believe in to each is own, PEACE

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 1:02 pm
    • Agree, but what did all the trans folk do( bathrooms) before this became a political football.This has now become chic,fabricated issue dejuor.And 3 bathrooms? How they’ll want 1 for M to F,1 for F to M,another for men and another for women.And in the schools,samething for faculty and students.Where does this stop and common sense begin.When they gave that sissy traitor all that change jazz,then sent “it”off to some cushy detainment facility.
      LUDICROUS !!

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 8:47 am
      • But why would having a unisex restroom (like the ones in EVERYONE’S houses) be an issue? Why is anyone arguing with something that doesn’t affect them at all?

Friday, 10 March 2017, 1:16 am
  • I’m a male, but “Transgender women” are trying to steal my identity! If you charge and convict them for it, do you send them to a male or female prison? If you have trouble figuring out what you are, take a second to look down. What do you see? That’s what you are! Problem solved!

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 12:47 pm
    • Yup

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 1:05 pm
  • This whole notion of ‘ identifying’ as this or that is all in the mind. For someone to say ” I was born as such and such , but ‘identify’ as being this or that…..is a total mental construct . I was born human but I identify as being a Zebra……In my heart of hearts , I’ve always known that I was a zebra ……..and I expect to be treated like a zebra…….if I’m not afforded the same rights as an ordinary zebra, then I’ll sue the tax payers in Federal court until I am recognized as being a zebra …………same thing. This clearly shows how America is circling the toilet bowl .

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 12:32 pm
    • You, my sad little person, are what is wrong with this country. Everything’s about you, how perfect you are and how you’ve never had to really struggle with something so basic to us as sexuality.

You’re just a cold-hearted, shallow-minded fool who thinks he’s better than everyone.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 1:59 pm
      • this person is a fool a joke playing the system found someone to listen and we are fools .. but it wrong for anyone that dosnt know there gender and if they feel it needs changing well have it done. simple as that.. ya can change a bull it a steer real easy. so wheres the problem. heck they might get lucky talk to rick scott hes not right either he will donate to the unknwn gender club.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 11:21 pm
    • Even though I was born Irish and I’m 5-6″ with red hair, pasty white skin with freckles, I identify as a dark skinned 7 foot Mexican. I even wear a great big sombrero and ride a donkey.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 10:07 pm
      • are your sure your not mullian a black irish man. ?????????????

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 11:24 pm

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 9:24 am
    • theres more to this im sure .OK DV shelter so someone went to jail. and the other needs help. well until you leagley established a gender DONT expect any DV shelter to accommodate you. how would that be fare to the people that know there sex .???????????? and there human parts fit the picture.

Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 11:16 pm
      • FARE ?????? like steak chikin or fish ????

Wednesday, 8 March 2017, 12:27 pm