Elderly Alzheimer’s Couple Refuses to Stay Home, Located in Hernando After Disappearing from Panhandle

RIDGE MANOR – An elderly couple diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease have been found safe in Hernando County after they disappeared from their home in Jackson County.
According to officials, Billy King, 79, and his wife Joan King, 77, stated they were leaving their home Greenwood Florida, which is located west of Tallahassee, to visit family in Jacksonville. Several hours later officials issued a Silver Alert after they never returned home or arrived in Jacksonville.
Around 10:00 p.m. last night, a Hernando County Sheriff’s Deputy observed a red Kia Spectra traveling at a very slow rate of speed in the area of Treiman Blvd and Cortez Blvd. A traffic stop was conducted and it was soon determined that the occupants were the missing couple. Billy told Deputies that they had been away from home for quite some time. Billy also said the reason they left Jackson County was because his wife was tired and bored of being at home.
Officials in Jackson County say this is the second time this week that the couple has tried to leave town. The first time occurred Wednesday but they were quickly located before leaving town.
The couple has been reunited with their family in Jackson County.

Comments
  • Sooo, why do they still access to a vehicle? Why don’t they have a guardian, why don’t they have life alert with gps, God love them but they need more safety precautions put in place by their family.

Monday, 17 July 2017, 4:49 pm
  • What a beautiful story…Love has no limits. I am glad they are safe. When my husband and I get that old, I’m pretty sure we will do stuff that is crazy to our kids too….

Sunday, 16 July 2017, 6:34 am
  • My grandparents pulled the same stunt leaving Arkansas and driving to Florida without telling anyone. This couple reminds me of them. They drove safely and didn’t cause any problems. My grandparents were also very much in love and always smiling and hugging/snuggling. I say good for this couple and THEY ROCK !!! Unfortunately their relatives will probably now take keys and start trying to put them in a home where they’ll be separated from each other. It will break their hearts.

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 6:32 pm
  • This is sad. I think the family will now see it’s time to clip their wings and be more aware of what they are up to.

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 9:37 am
  • It’s got to be really hard aging with Alzheimer’s not to mention both of them then losing thei independence, it can’t be easy. Kudos to them at 77 & 79 for continuing to keep trucking along.

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 7:07 am
  • How does one begin to even FIX this problem?? I’m sure their loved ones have to be worried about them wandering off again. ..but how can they really stop them?

Friday, 14 July 2017, 11:01 pm
  • Trsyvn

Friday, 14 July 2017, 8:53 pm
  • they seem rather independent or does some one have guardianship over them?

Friday, 14 July 2017, 8:49 pm
  • Job well done by the deputy for being alert

Friday, 14 July 2017, 5:20 pm
    • My grandparents did the same thing but they came from Arkansas to Florida. They caused no accidents or trouble. If they do have a guardian maybe guardian needs to take them on a vacation trip to ease their boredom. Even then – unless they have PROVEN to be a danger to themselves – these folks need time for their own intetests/explorations. To the beautiful septagenerians I say BRAVO AND Y’ALL ROCK !!

Saturday, 15 July 2017, 10:21 am