Elderly Woman Charged with Battery on LEO After Slapping Deputy for Not Fixing Her Toilet

SPRING HILL – She should have called Roto-Rooter. . .

Sheriff’s Deputies responded to 11214 Captain Drive Sunday morning to assist another agency with an elderly woman inside the residence. Upon their arrival, 70-year-old Dolores Marie Rossi asked Deputies Donato and Renczkowski to help fix her toilet. After several failed attempts, Rossi became extremely upset and started yelling, and raising her hands towards them. Deputy Katelyn Mauro, who was also on scene, attempted to explain that Donato and Renczkowski aren’t familiar with plumbing and that she would have to call a plumber in the morning. Not happy with that answer, Rossi screamed at Mauro and proceeded to slap her in the chest with an open hand. As a result, Rossi was taken into custody and transported to the Hernando County Jail.

Rossi is charged with one count of battery on a law enforcement officer and was initially held on a $1,000 bond, however, after a first appearance hearing with Judge Stephen Toner, he released her on her own recognizance.

Comments
  • I grew up in hernando but now live in Orlando. Winter Garden to be more specific. Here they have a program where the police department check weekly on the elderly. It would be beneficial to some of hernando county seniors.

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 11:06 pm
  • Hey to you commenting with the name hey that’s great now shut up just curious exactly who are you talkin to hear all of us?????? Again just curious who are you responding to it regardless maybe perhaps you should shut up and get off this site

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 11:24 am
  • Hey Jane Doe geez, sit back have a cocktail or have your doctor give you some Xanax you sound angry and nasty are you related to Jane Fonda

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 11:11 am
    • Suterdude, that was funny!!

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 12:45 pm
    • Surfadude I could use a drink btw but yes comments like these make me angry because no one holds themselves accountable for their actions anymore, todays society is so quick to point fingers and pass the blame that it makes my blood boil!

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 10:52 pm
  • In her time a cop may have tried to help her fix her plumbing. Remember those days when we all used to help our neighbors and people in need in our communities? Now, I have come across many rude elderly people who think they can do and say what they want. I’m sure some have been that way most their lives. However, there has been a serious decline in respect for our elders in our society. The general lack of empathy, sympathy, and kindness for one another these days is so sad. I am not blaming the cops as I was not there and I understand they are cops, not plumbers. But, are there situations like this where they could have descalated the situation? Maybe the lady has some minor dementia or other condition. You hear about paramedics and firefighters mowing lawns for someone who needed medical assistance. Young and old we need to be kinder to each other.

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 8:49 am
  • If you defend the arrest of this 70 year old woman, than you don’t love your mother. What happened to an eye for an eye? She slaps the cop and the cop slaps her back, just a little harder, right away. End of story.

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 2:44 am
  • Why is everyone insisting they should have baker acted her?!? Because she’s an older woman she didn’t know she was hitting a deputy because they couldn’t fix her toilet? Give me a fucking break people with this baker act shit and saying she needs help and NOT jail time, she was fine until they told her they couldn’t fix it. Do some research on baker act, yes they get evaluated and if they fit the requirements they will be held for 72 hours. I’m pretty sure they evacuated her we’re just not getting the full story. RNRF was reporting that she was arrrested for battering LEO doesn’t mean they didn’t evacuate for baker act! This is what’s wrong with society today, we are raising a bunch of idiots who make excuses for everything! Don’t do the crime and you don’t do the time simple as that! Jesus Christ people!!!

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 8:31 pm
    • Evaluate not evacuate stupid autocorrect

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 8:37 pm
    • Good grief, go take a chill pill, betcha you are the cop that got slapped on the chest or relative of some sort . Maybe you need bakered. Tom I thought you were not allowing the profanity, Jane doin it again. Lmbo. AND some think ms rossi needs help, think Jane doe might. Wow.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 11:16 pm
      • I don’t know these people at all just so sick of people nowadays making excuses for everyone’s actions… maybe they have dementia, maybe they were victims of abuse, maybe they grew up without a family maybe if we were all a little kinder or maybe she couldn’t afford a plumber. Cry me a river! I definitely don’t need to be baker acted or take a chill pill, everyone needs a reality check. Nowadays everyone gets SO offended by every LITTLE thing that it’s sickening, give me a break

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 10:27 pm
  • what if she did call the plumber and she struck him when handed the bill? assaulting anyone is illegal. i dont fell bad for the women. probably from up north, came down here for some free gov’t assistance and drives way to slow on 19.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 6:22 pm
    • Came from up north for free gov’t assist!?! Hahaha Florida doesn’t do half the “free gov’t assist.” that most states up north have. Its usually do to weather and property taxes that the elderly move here.

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 8:33 am
  • Thats what litter boxes are for.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 3:45 pm
  • show an act of kindness and donate it a porta-potty or build it an outhouse! Yes, I refer to “it” as an “it”.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 3:33 pm
    • That’s the problem with people today. We’ve lost our humanity and don’t even treat each other with respect and kindness. You never know what someone else is going through. There may come a day where you may need help from a stranger. Hopefully, they will be nothing like you and help you, out of the kindness in their hearts.

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 9:03 am
  • The real issue is she obviously needs help and mental disturbed. Jail not answer more like a baker act.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 2:41 pm
  • This goes back to something I refer to all the time as situational awareness every situation in life is different in this situation too sad that it didn’t go a little different I realize the law is the law you don’t strike a deputy but goodness gracious I can spend less than 5 minutes with that lady and I can tell you whether or not she’s got issues she certainly couldn’t have hurt the deputies with an open hand but anyway it is what it is it’s over and done 9-1-1 is Miss used and abused constantly I’ve met deputies that have been called out on 911 for Simply Having people’s electricity turned off because they didn’t pay their damn bill on time how ridiculous and stupid

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 12:29 pm
    • Shhhh No one cares. Stop talking please. =D

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 1:59 pm
      • Hey That’s Great…Now Shut Up, you are what is wrong with society. “Shhhh no one cares”, hope you’re never in a position where you need to rely on a stranger for help.

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 9:11 am
    • Apparently you’ve never seen someone slap another person with an open hand with razor blades between their fingers.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 3:23 pm
      • Obviously you’ve been in prison…. Thats just a ridiculous statement ill bet she doesnt have any blades. Hell im disgusted with evil people….

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 4:39 pm
      • Actually mike c I haven’t , but she didn’t , not condoning hitting a cop, but I am almost certain that that cop that got slapped had on bullet proof vest, it couldn’t have hurt at all, sure could have been handled differently. I feel sorry for her and hope she has someone who cares about her and helps her. Maybe her husband is deceased and kids live far away, we don’t know.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 4:42 pm
  • Thank God the judge had some sense let her out of there and didn’t stick her in there with the damn animals in the pen

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 12:26 pm
  • Wow for all of you on here bashing this lady I don’t know whether she has dementia or not Alzheimer’s or not because I was not there and I can tell you this I have a very very close family member who is mentally ill and I have been his legal guardian for years I have been dealing with the mental health system for years it is beyond a disaster but back to my real point yes one would help you officers have some sort of Common Sense recognition that the lady was just not right for her to have called the cops for her toilet in the first place should have been the first tip-off duh but for all you here bashing her wake the f up do none of you not have freaking grandmothers do you not have a relative who has gotten Alzheimer’s or dementia and seeing what it’s like I’ve dealt with it means of time since I work in the service industry the back to the deputies probably a little much and like others have set here I hope she does have family or a neighbor that’s good enough person or people to go over and take care of this for her geez I miss the old days when cops may have said hey hey hey we don’t do that do you realize that’s incorrect that’s wrong we could take you to jail for that blah blah blah give her a Stern warning if she does it again and maybe take her in for a lesson to be learned but lordy what a world we live in when you can literally touch someone with the end of your finger and it’s called assault what a freaking joke oh and we won’t even get into verbal abuse Bwaaaaaaa

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 12:21 pm
  • Let’s fill the Hernando county jails with 70 year old EDP,s Hats off to the deputy.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 12:05 pm
    • 👏👏

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 9:13 am
  • What other agency were the cops there assisting.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 8:56 am
  • I try not to comment on these threads but felt I just had to throw my two cents in. Yes its sad that she may have Alzheimer’s/Dementia but even so, only a nasty person resorts to hitting as a first response. My guess is that she’s not been a “sweet” lady in her lifetime. Sweet people are humble and do not respond with uncontrolled anger. If she has any kids, I’m sure they got their share of slaps and that is probably why she’s alone.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 6:38 am
  • The up-shot is jails have functional toilets.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 12:07 am
  • You know, there are a lot of seniors here in Hernando County, many of them living alone. When one needs help, who is there to call? The only person that comes to mind is 911. Maybe the HCSO should set up some kind of system to handle these kinds of calls. She is elderly, sort of, alone, and can’t use her toilet. She called the only number she could…to her, it was an emergency.

Monday, 29 January 2018, 11:00 pm
    • ….She has a phone, so she can call information and ask for a plumber. It is ridiculous that people want to call on local law enforcement for such stupid stuff and then get pissed at them when they cant help them. What would have happened if the deputies attempted to fix the toilet and made the problem worse. Who would be responsible for the repairs? The sheriff’s department would have to pay for that and guess what, that money comes from your taxes.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 12:15 pm
      • And they would have made it worse cause they dont know $hi& from handle…How about the lady thanking deputie for ride to get gas its right on sheriff’s page when she ran out. Probably should have told her get tow truck…….

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 2:25 pm
    • Stop making excuses for her. You can’t just go around wacking people because you’re old. And they DO have numbers you can call. PLUMBERS. It’s not the responsibility to suddenly become maintenance men, roofers or plumbers. Not their job and a waste of tax payer’s money.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 12:47 pm
    • If she did have dementia or anything else they would have known.If they did not see the signs the judge would have and Baker Acted her and not just released her.And if she has all those issues should not be living on her own and should be in a care facility.The only reason her picture looks that way is she was crying.If she was not 70 everyone on here would be saying lock them up,give them 30 years in prison

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 2:15 pm
  • Call ’em as I see ’em. Not here to make friends anyway.

Monday, 29 January 2018, 10:15 pm
  • Poor lady ! My guess is Lewy Body Dementia .Deputies should be trained to recognize Dementia and Alzheimer’s symptoms!!

Monday, 29 January 2018, 10:13 pm
  • obviously a mental problem. not normal behavior for a sane person.

Monday, 29 January 2018, 10:02 pm
    • No kidding captain obvious.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 12:35 pm
  • She may have dementia or alzheimer’s. That is the behavior of a person who has that.

Monday, 29 January 2018, 9:44 pm
  • She just wanted to slap the s**t out of them LMAO 💩💩💩

Monday, 29 January 2018, 9:43 pm
  • Just maybe the cop just did not give a SHIT : )

Monday, 29 January 2018, 9:10 pm
  • I need my toilet fixed…should I call 911???

Monday, 29 January 2018, 9:03 pm
  • I seriously don’t understand how anyone’s financial problems are the HCSO’s problem. You have a toilet leak, call a plumber if not just shut the valve off until you can get it fixed! LEO are there to protect and serve the public in real emergencies and not have to respond to “fix my toilet” calls, they are not there to be your handyman just because you can’t call a plumber, there’s a thing called liability, therefore people can’t just do it out of kindness, kindness has nothing to do with this at all, why couldn’t a neighbor or family me ever be so “kind” to fix it for her?!? Ignorant people always against LEO because they don’t entertain people’s BS. Go yourselves, she’s in jail where she belongs, I would love to see how everyone would react if the deputy that got slapped was your wife/daughter etc…

Monday, 29 January 2018, 8:21 pm
    • Jane doe has a filthy mouth!! WOW, NO LADY TALKS LIKE THAT. OH WELL., SHOWS ONES OWN IGNORANCE !

Monday, 29 January 2018, 9:18 pm
      • women can use profanity just as well
        as men can. go back to your cave

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 3:18 am
        • Yep u can use any amount of profanity you want free speech, but it just makes you sound slutty and uneducated, I am a lady Btw not a man! I do have lots of education as well as class. 😃

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 4:22 pm
          • Profanity makes someone sound “slutty” I’m glad you have “lots of education”, you sound like you just barely made it to high school. I have a good education as well since we are on the topic and my language depends on the people I’m addressing, you know sometimes you have to lower the standards like I’m doing with you.

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 10:46 pm
      • What does using profanity have to do with ones intelligence? Absolutely nothing, so please go sit down somewhere no one was talking to you!

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 10:41 pm
    • You are a class act. You can tell by her booking photo she is frail and has issues. She should not have been arrested even the judge recognised this fact. The slap on the chest was wrong but they should have given her a timeout.. I have respect for many of the LEO’s but some are just plain old pieces of shit with the badge. Pretty funny 3 deputies to take on a old lady and a toilet.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 10:54 am
    • Tom this cop said f word…. Come on now

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 2:27 pm
  • I hope shes home & someone is there to fix her potty

Monday, 29 January 2018, 7:23 pm
  • That should have been handled with kindness and care. That lady has to have serious issues. Please don’t put her in jail.

Monday, 29 January 2018, 7:20 pm
  • Useless ass deputies. What kind of man doesn’t know how to fix a terlet.

Monday, 29 January 2018, 7:12 pm
    • By several inches…Thought I’d share.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 12:01 am
    • Ones that have your name and piss between the seat when doing a #2..

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 2:36 pm
      • Quenesha LMBO. Now I know something that a bird can do that a man CAN’T,, READY= WHISTLE THRU HIS

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 4:32 pm
      • LMBO

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 8:56 am
  • Ignorant asses! Get her help not handcuffs! Hernando co.officers are out of control. She’s lucky they didn’t shoot her.

Monday, 29 January 2018, 6:57 pm
  • This is sad, poor ms. rossi, Seriously how bad could that have hurt the deputy, 70 yrs old, open palm? I realize you can’t hit a cop, however, they do need training in a lot of things. I do hope she has family to check on her, maybe a plumber would offer to fix it, free of charge.No one knows her financial situation, maybe calling a plummer would have meant no food or medication. Evidently the cop that got slapped doesn’t have a grandmother, thx 4 the help of other two deputies, they could have told the sissy cop no, let’s call family ( if she has some) or just left. Hope ms. Rossi will be okay.

Monday, 29 January 2018, 6:56 pm
  • this is pathetic, REALLY hcso?

Monday, 29 January 2018, 6:51 pm
  • well,you just dont hit a police officer really,they were there to help her! she must have some other problems! sadly

Monday, 29 January 2018, 6:50 pm
  • Really just because she is 70 doesnt give her the right to hit anyone. Exspecialy someone that was trying to help

Monday, 29 January 2018, 6:46 pm
    • I agree Kim.. and the comments that they should have fixed her toilet? really? I wonder if these people would think differently if they needed the police in an emergency and the closest officers were busy fixing a toilet.. and 70 isn’t that old..smh

Monday, 29 January 2018, 7:50 pm
      • They aint coming anyway for an hr cause they sittin and hiding.

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 2:30 pm
    • if she had dementia, then i bet you’d get off your high horse

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 3:19 am
  • This poor woman….Most likely has dementia or alzheimer’s. I agree that law enforcement need training in recognizing these in the elderly as well as other mental illnesses. She should have been baker acted NOT ARRESTED!!! Sad County we live in…Also to No Merci, you’re a real piece of work with a statement like that! Maybe if it were your mother or grandmother your comment would be different…🤬🤬🤬

Monday, 29 January 2018, 6:32 pm
    • 👏👏👏👏👏

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 8:53 am
  • Tough officer we have there….
    maybe she had to go potty real bad!

Monday, 29 January 2018, 6:22 pm
  • Really they couldn’t recognize possible dementia. Come on

Monday, 29 January 2018, 6:08 pm
  • Maybe the deputies need to go back for training to be able to recognize people who have Alzheimers and dementia shame on you

Monday, 29 January 2018, 5:52 pm
  • OUT OF CONTROL ELDERLY, MAYBE BAKER ACT BUT NOT ARRESTED

Monday, 29 January 2018, 5:51 pm
  • Error delete Russian

Monday, 29 January 2018, 5:48 pm
  • Ahhh,the look of satisfaction or constipation…….

Monday, 29 January 2018, 5:48 pm
  • I think the sheriff have bigger fish to fry than a Russian a 70 year old woman that slapped around the chest all she must have hurt that sheriff terribly God bless the old lady could probably confused somewhat maybe a little dementia hope they made those handcuffs as tight as they couldn’t throw her in the back of that car just had a real Criminal real nice to see that doing that job

Monday, 29 January 2018, 5:41 pm
  • Keep this nasty old bitch behind bars! since when do you call the COPS for a busted toilet???? Correction: make that CHEAP nasty old BITCH!

Monday, 29 January 2018, 5:38 pm
    • No. Merci I usually agree with what you have to say but come on the lady is 70 years old he didn’t even punch her he slapped her with an open hand 70 years old you throw an old lady in handcuffs and take it to the county jail when you have people running around shooting one another in Brooksville drugs out of control house is being rated people home invasions is that really right don’t get me wrong maybe Baker acted she was confused get her the help she needs contact the relatives to me it’s way out of the ballpark just my opinion

Monday, 29 January 2018, 7:06 pm
    • She is in a hospital gown! She is old and probably confused – who the hell knows who she thought they were… she needed HELP NOT JAIL- extremely infuriating ! , these cops shoukd care just a little- what if she was their grandmother… usually all it takes is a calm comforting voice and going along with the conversation when the person is “confused” or dementia… so so so sad. Simple dehydration or a UTI/infection can cause severe confusion in elderly. What has this county come to???😢😣😠 you sir are an ignorant asshole!! What if this was your grandmother one day???? One of my grandmother’s was the sweetest woman her whole life, got dementia and was very angry and combative… grow a heart jerk

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 4:30 pm
      • Nikki= WELL SAID!!

Tuesday, 30 January 2018, 4:48 pm
    • Lets see how you feel about that when you are in your 70s

Wednesday, 31 January 2018, 8:52 am
  • That’s great miss Rossi I would like to shake your hand. Awesome LMFAO…
    Guess the deputies should have known plumbing.

Monday, 29 January 2018, 5:31 pm