Elderly Woman Mauled by Pit Pulls During Neighbor Dispute

SPRING HILL – A woman was hospitalized this evening, after sources say she was mauled by her neighbor’s pit bulls during a dispute.

According to unconfirmed reports, two pit bulls attacked an elderly woman at a residence on White Plains Street, leaving her with multiple puncture wounds. The victim was transported locally for treatment.

Neither side agreed to speak to RNRF about the dispute, claiming it was a personal matter.

I asked a deputy on scene if the animals would be impounded and he simply replied “nope and that it’s not newsworthy.”

The woman’s condition remains unknown at this time.

Comments
  • Way to many problems with this breed.

Friday, 28 April 2017, 12:31 pm
  • As a “Pit Bull” mom. If anyone starts shouting or gets in my face my baby’s behavior changes and he goes into defense mode. My 17yr old cocky son learned the hard way. Although the skin wasn’t broken, the lesson was learned. Do not walk into my house and get an attitude.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 7:40 pm
    • Wow !! Here’s another idiot calling yourself a pit mom and calling it your baby then portray your SON in a bad way Your DOG went at your SON and your proud of it and defend it. DCF should pay you a visit I like my dogs there my PETS but if one went at my CHILD for any reason AT ALL I’m shooting the mother******. You are insane And a horrible mother you shouldn’t be allowed to reproduce. And your pit going after your SON for being “cocky” your only answer is well he didn’t break the skin Your a loser And trash. And you just proved everyone’s point idiot a pit attacked a member of the family a child for being “cocky” lol thank you for posting because you just proved the point. And thank you Tom for reporting this story news channels always report on this sort of thing so everyone can shut the **** up

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 10:33 pm
    • You must be some special kind of dog. Are his eyes 12 inches apart. Handsome little guy. Head the size of a bowling ball and that hard. How cute. Jaws that can do alot of damage to ones little arms or legs or face. I would be proud of him to.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 11:26 pm
    • I hope the DCF reads this and locks your ass up for saying that your son deserved getting bit by your pitbull because he was cocky. That just shows that you are a horrible mother who leaves the disciplining of her teenage son up to her killer pet pitbull. The dog should be removed from your home and euthanized, you should never be allowed to have children again and you should be sitting in a jail cell for child abuse and neglect.

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 1:35 pm
      • Amen Amen

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 11:08 pm
  • To the defense of the dog, if there was fighting those dogs were doing their job by protecting their owner. That woman knew those dogs were there, and elderly or not, she knew she was taking a chance by telling around those animals. I hope the victim will be ok.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 4:42 pm
  • If any kind of animal comes into my property and it appears it wants to harm my family or my self, it will have to carried off my property. I have a right to protect my own.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 3:19 pm
  • holaaa again! cmon people quit splitting hairs here! especially the bite vs. maul, whatever she got jacked up by a dog that can kill! many of you come across so perfect your not human? tom is a HUMAN! thus he not PERFECT!

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 3:18 pm
  • Holaaaaaaaaaaa!! 1st i believe Tom’s spot on as well, ( IT ) the word pitbull has it’s stigma per say based on history, i by way am in contact with many of em as i do service work, thus i visit many a home……….interesting that the comment by K, that she would never get 1 says alot, plus all of there owners always tell me how gentle,little baby’s they are then 1 day BOOM! also i have missed being bit /mauled several times by there gentle babies! i wouldn’t have 1.again for tom you folk that wanna bash him all time don’t visit you do have that choice, thanks! goodnightnow!

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 3:12 pm
  • while it might be a trigger word for some. reading the comments section i can not help but notice people fail to even pick up a dictionary..

mauling- to cause injury, damage, to use roughly, to batter, to treat badly, to manhandle, causing lacerations, and also a wedge shaped hammer used for splitting logs..

she didnt have to be chewed into pieces to be mauled. tom used the word correctly, next time try the dictionary..lol

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 2:58 pm
  • Maul or bite….there is no difference to the poor woman who was viciously attacked by the aggressive breed of dog that should be removed from society. The fact it she was attacked and violated by this dog and the dog should be euthanized because IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!!!

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 12:35 pm
  • How do you know if the dog doesn’t like being called Pit Bull? He can’t speak for himself, and he just might consider it “Canine Profiling” when you call him that!

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 12:28 pm
  • You cannot say the “N” word and “Pit Bull” are ANYWHERE near the same thing.
    That is an ignorant analogy. Pit bulls are the breed of a dog. “N” word is a word an ignorant person uses when referring to a person of color. When someone says Pit Bull, they aren’t being a racist. When you say the “N” word, you are being racist idiot towards a PERSON. People are a certain way when someones says the “N” word because its a horrible thing to call a person. You cant be a horrible person for calling a dog a Pit Bull. C’mon Tom. People vs dog. I think you know which is right and wrong. There are plenty of analogies out there and I think you should have went somewhere different with that. I normally am a fan of RNRF however, I think you let opinions of others, cloud your head on this one.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 9:44 am
  • Oh Tom, you’ve fallen into the same trap others do on this site…………..getting into a “discussion” with some commentators on here is fruitless, it’s a no win situation.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 9:40 am
  • Getting tired of monkeys with pitbulls

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 8:08 am
  • Same ? different day ?????

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 8:06 am
  • I know what you mean Tom. Pitbull has become an ignitor word. I work with animals every day and if anyone doesnt realize the trauma and pain from a bite or multiple bites from a dog known for tremendous bite power then they need to wake up. I have one that lives across the road from me and if their gate isnt closed i cant get me mail unless I risk getting attacked. I have told the owners i will kill him if he threatens me in my own yard and I will. They didnt seem very concerned. People really shouldnt have those dogs because they are always sweethearts until the day they arent and that day someone is hurt or killed. Animal Control is a joke way to often.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 7:34 am
  • Sorry Tom. I usually agree with your defense of your position but this time I must disagree with you use of maul. According to Miriam Webster to maul means to attack and injure in such a way as to cut or tear the skin and cause a blood injury. That seems quite a bit more then puncture wounds.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 3:36 am
  • The cop was WRONG. THERE IS A STORY THERE. I’m sure neighbors in that area would think so too especially if they have children. Let’s hope cop won’t be DEAD WRONG WHEN IT’S A CHILD ATTACKED BY THIS DOG. I don’t care if it’s a Chihuahua or collie or “american staffordshire” or whatever. DOG NOT UNDER OWNERS CONTROL EQUALS A PROBLEM. SHAME ON ANIMAL OWNER, ANIMAL CONTROL AND THE COP FOR TRYING TO DOWNPLAY THIS.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 12:52 am
    • Being a neighbor in this area I am not concerned for my safety at all. In fact the small terrier that lives behind me and gets out all the time is more of a threat, however nothing has been done about that done, even after it attacked mine after breaking through the fence. But only pitbulls are aggressive!!!

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 1:35 pm
      • If you are really more afraid of a small terrier than a pit bull, than you should be very cautious in your daily activities and you have a lot more to worry about then dogs.

I don’t think anyone would say other dogs aren’t aggressive. What we do know is that pits are more aggressive, are more likely to turn, and cause much more damage when they do.

It’s basic genetics, not rocket science. I know your pit is very nice and perfect. Yes, we’ve heard that before. Hopefully your pit stays that way. The problem is, that it’s in the genes. These animals should only be made available to people who can properly contain them.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 2:39 pm
        • Billy, I think you should do a little more research and you will realize that the majority of bites that come into an ER are from smaller dogs and they do actually tend to do alot of damage. My point was with my comment is that animal control and HCSO feel that it is ok for this small terrier that gets out often and has attacked my dogs is ok to continue because it is not considered an “aggressive” breed however it is an aggressive dog. All because people stereotype. Why should this be ok? Shouldn’t the rules be the same for all dogs?

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 8:04 am
          • Your “point” is rather weak. That’s what I was explaining to you.

Bad owners not being responsible for their dogs is a different subject from the obvious genetic dangers that “Pit Bulls” present to everyone.

Pits are roughly 6% of the dog population. However they represent the majority of damaging and fatal attacks. I’m sure they don’t represent the majority of all bites.

It’s time for the lemmings to stop apologizing for the breed.

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 10:48 am
  • Raw data and hard facts are just wasted on some people. The fact is, when the truth hurts, most people just deny them and try to rationalize just to make themselves feel better about their ignorant decisions. Tom’s pit comparison to the ‘N’ word is spot on. Every time animal control or law enforcement gets a aggressive animal call, the details are documented and when they get tabulated, it always points out the obvious. Btw, a victim doesn’t get wheeled out on a stretcher from a simple dog bite. That cop was probably a pit owner

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 11:37 pm
    • How about you having some humanity and stop making excuses for dangerous animals. Esp dangerous animals in the hands of stupid people, even worse.

Supporting this nonsense with no education and only bias makes you party of the problem.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 10:57 am
    • Every patient taken by ems is taken on stretcher that’s how they are transported. Even for a stubbed toe…. get a clue.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 1:32 pm
      • Wrong lol many pts and walked to ambulance and ride in to hospital on the bench seat seat belted in. Again some who thinks they know lol. Also everyone says my dog wouldn’t hurt you , my dog doesn’t bite. Lol YOUR dog doesn’t bite YOU. It’s an aggressive bread with the highest attack rate. Remember the baby with its face and scalped ripped off a year ago in brooksville I see one around my kids I’ll treat it same way as a sex affender shoot it.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 7:15 pm
        • Being as I worked for EMS and now in an ER I do know how the system works. Also for the record I never claimed my dogs would not bite. If you come in my home or on my property it is their job to defend it. I see people with dog bites all the time and the majority of them are from their own dogs. I think shooting a dog for just being around your child is a little dramatic.

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 7:59 am
          • As I do work on a ambulance so yea people ride on bench seat a lot lol. And over dramatic if I shot my dog for biting my kid lol they are there to protect not hurt them so your just another idiot that cares for there DOG more then there child. Again if MY dog bit my child yes I’m shooting it in the ****in head and your a moron lol

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 9:34 pm
  • Big surprise, pit bull. Now we have to hear from the uneducated about how good thier put is. I’m sure this dog was a loving gentle giant who would never hurt anyone too, as I’ve heard from victims on multiple occasions.

If you’re not biased against these dogs, you’re not paying attention.

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 10:31 pm
    • Obviously not very well. I’ve dealt with multiple victims whose living animal would never bite. 6 percent of dogs 87 percent of deaths. You don’t have book or good anecdotal evidence.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 10:55 am
    • Thank you so much for this statement! People can be so judgmental over this breed, it is all in how they are raised. Just like any dog you must be very responsible with them!

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 11:09 am
      • It’s absolutely in their genetics. The evidence from dog bite data clearly shows that these dogs are more dangerous, cause more damage – even when “raised properly”.

So there is no doubt, Tara and K that you are absolutely wrong. Sorry. I know that you both probably know some real nice pits. That doesn’t change their genetic code. Doesn’t work that way.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 12:07 pm
    • Hey Jimbo talk about the uneducated look at the spelling in your post people in glass houses shouldn’t cast stones

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 11:01 pm
      • Thanks Einstein!

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 7:50 am
  • I wanna know what the elderly woman did. There not all as frail as they look. Maybe the dogs were protecting the owner, no one knows what happened.

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 9:57 pm
  • I have raised 2 pitbulls over the last 7 years and they are not all the same…And saying pitbull is the new “N” word is a little far fetched..My dogs wouldn’t hurt a fly so pls keep your comments to yourself in regards to pitbulls..

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 9:48 pm
    • But would your dogs defend you or protect you if they felt that they or you were threatened….mine would and he’s not a pit bull…so yes try that theory and see if they “hurt a fly”. It’s the nature of the “beast” not the breed.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 11:33 am
      • I didn’t adopt my dog to defend me, I adopted him to defend him against arrogance and mean, cruel people like the people who dumped him off on the side of the road

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 3:57 pm
  • Hernando county Government wake up and ban pit bulls in the county like Davey county did i have a neighbor that has one and im waiting for that day

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 9:44 pm
    • No, how about you wise up? Doubt that will happen.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 10:53 am
  • Like the Deputy said, “it’s not newsworthy”

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 8:47 pm
    • But if the deputy got his bit by the Pitbull it definitely would be newsworthy wouldn’t it.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 10:57 pm
  • Puncture wounds is not a mauling it is a dog bite.

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 8:38 pm
  • I think multiple puncture wounds and being mauled are two different things here Tom. Since the dogs were not impounded and they deemed it not newsworthy I think you might be a little biased and going over board. I am a nurse and work in an ER, and although I am sure the elderly woman is hurt, she looks far from mauled. Usually I enjoy reading your news however I can see the side you sit on with this.

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 8:32 pm
      • Tom….I don’t think that was a good analogy! Think “Pit Bull” and “N” word. One is a human being and the other a dog!!!!

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 10:19 pm
      • Think she means more for sensationalizing the story with MAULED. In the photo she looks far from MAULED.
        More like attacked. bitten, roughed up. But not MAULED.
        Sensationalizing is not good journalism. Its advertising for your site/page for ad revenue.

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 10:24 pm
          • Just because other journalists are sensationalists doesn’t mean you have to be. OK for you to be the adult in the group, and have some ethics, too.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 1:10 pm
        • while i understand your point have you tried a dictionary lately? the word is a trigger word but tom did use it correctly. dictionary folks, try it..lol

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 2:51 pm
      • So does that mean i can start using pitbull in place of the other?

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 10:30 pm
      • I am not “demonizing” you just stating what you wrote. Multiple puncture wounds are very different from a mauling. All dogs have the potential to bite and should be restrained. People’s words should be used wiser!!

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 10:49 pm
        • Are multiple puncture wounds a good thing?

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 5:23 am
      • Pitbull is the new N word? Wow. I think you just proved CBS’s point.

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 11:41 pm
          • Exactly Tom

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 10:24 am
          • Odd. Two of my mutts are part pitbull and I use that term a lot. I certainlly do not hate the breed and never have been called a hater. It is also used frequently on the many dog shows on NatGeo. I would not consider them haters.

Maybe the context you use the term? In that case, I do see similarites to the n word. Context is everything there.

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 12:12 am
      • Agree

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 6:22 am
      • Keep up the top notch reporting, you’re doing a great job Tom

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 10:44 pm
  • Hmm, tell me again how great pitbulls are. I’m sure they were protecting their owner. The elderly lady did not look like she could hurt a flea. That other heifer is big enough she didn’t need her dogs to protect her. It is newswoethy Tom.

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 8:18 pm
    • Pit Bulls ARE great!!

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 9:42 pm
      • I live down the road, and heard the commotion, the deputy said that no one was attacked so i would tend to believe if that was the case and the dogs weren’t removed.

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 2:34 pm
  • I would think that yes, it IS, newsworthy if there are dangerous animals. I don’t care the breed, dogs should be restrained. If it was a child injured, people would be chomping at the bit to get these dogs seized.

Tuesday, 25 April 2017, 8:09 pm
    • mind your own damn business you don’t know what transpired. they were obviously protecting their owner!!

Wednesday, 26 April 2017, 11:26 pm
      • Awfully hypocritical of you to tell someone to mind their own business because they don’t know what transpired then you go ahead and immediately assume that they were protecting their owners

Thursday, 27 April 2017, 2:29 am