Real News Real Fast –  Nobody Gets There Faster!

Fire Damages Mobile Home – Overloaded Power Strip to Blame

WEEKI WACHEE – Fire nearly destroyed a mobile home on Lake Drive Monday and officials say an overloaded power strip is to blame.

According to reports, Hernando County Fire Rescue responded to 9770 Lake Drive, after the residents called 911 to report a fire inside the home.

One of two occupants who were home at the time of the fire says she noticed smoke and flames coming from the wall behind an aquarium in the back bedroom.   The woman made several failed attempts to extinguish the fire using pots of water but the flames continued to spread.

The first units arrived on scene within 6 minutes and reported heavy smoke and flames coming from the left rear of the home.  Fire crews made an aggressive interior attack on the fire and had the fire knocked down and under control within 15 minutes.  An investigation of the room of origin revealed the fire started from an overloaded power strip behind the fish tank, and it was also determined that although the home did have smoke alarms in place, none were found to be functional.

Prior to fire units arriving, both occupants entered the burning home several times to rescue five animals that were still inside the home. As a result, they were treated for minor smoke inhalation on scene, but did not want to be transported to the hospital for further evaluation.  Two of the five animals were also treated for minor smoke inhalation, and were returned to the owners in good condition.

HCFR wants to remind residents that smoke alarms are a key part of a home fire escape plan and can alert occupants early enough to evacuate safely. This incident is a good reminder to replace smoke alarm batteries every year and to replace smoke alarms every 10 years to ensure they are in good working condition.  HCFR would also like to remind homeowners not to reenter a house that is on fire once they have evacuated, and to be cautious to not overload electrical outlets.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ™2013 – 2015 Real News Real Fast, Inc.

20150907_165454_resized_1 20150907_165638_resized_1-2 20150907_165822_resized_1-2

Share With:
Rate This Article
Comments
  • No one knows.What happened but the people that were there .God bless allinvolved and displaced.

    Monday, 14 September 2015, 1:34 pm
  • Accidents happen everyday , what’s important is there was no loss of life. Where is the compassion, what if it was your home!?

    Friday, 11 September 2015, 7:54 am
  • For one that is my family and stuff happens it was the power cords fault and i would have gone back in for my animals and for anyone else

    Thursday, 10 September 2015, 2:18 pm
  • Cassie, reread you idiot. I said there was no way I would not re-enter to get my furbabies, i.e. I would go back in.

    Wednesday, 9 September 2015, 3:03 pm
  • O and for montybaby I’m glad I’m not your dog!!!

    Wednesday, 9 September 2015, 12:09 pm
  • It was a fish tank pump that started it by the way as seen in the picture and thanks everyone who has a heart

    Wednesday, 9 September 2015, 10:32 am
  • Look duck y’all you don’t even no what happened this story is faulse I was there to they didn’t put that in there the smoke detectors did go off she didn’t go back in for the dog she was trapped in the bathroom and I got her out she ran back in for my grandfauther you idiots! You can’t have sympathy

    Wednesday, 9 September 2015, 10:30 am
  • I know you arent supposed to re-enter a bldg. But there is no way I would not re-enter to get my fur babies.

    Tuesday, 8 September 2015, 6:33 pm
  • Natural ice…naturaly

    Tuesday, 8 September 2015, 5:59 pm
  • What’s more important….smoke detectors or a twelve pack of Natural Ice….thank GOD no one died…..

    Tuesday, 8 September 2015, 5:19 pm
  • Thank you HCFR for the good work you guys do

    Tuesday, 8 September 2015, 3:45 pm
  • Everyone should invest in smoke detectors and a decent ABC fire extinguisher. Thank God this lady wasn’t hurt dumping water on an electric fire.

    Tuesday, 8 September 2015, 11:44 am

Leave a Reply

})(jQuery)