Fire Rescue Saves Man’s Life and Then Cuts His Lawn

SPRING HILL – It’s always refreshing when RNRF has the opportunity to deliver good news to the community, especially when it involves the brave actions of those who risk their lives to protect us all.

One such story came to our attention yesterday, after fire rescue responded to a medical call at a residence on Elk Lane.

Around 5:30 pm Saturday, Jacob Shipp says he was visiting his mother at her home on Elk Lane, when he noticed her neighbor “Ralph” cutting his lawn with a push mower. Shipp says he went on about his business until he noticed fire rescue arrive on scene and Ralph being loaded into an ambulance.

According to Shipp, Ralph began feeling ill while cutting his lawn, so his wife Dorothy called 911. Shipp says Ralph has a history of heart attack, so they weren’t taking any chances.

Ralph was transported to a local hospital where his last known condition was stable, according to Shipp.

The story doesn’t end there… While Ralph was on his way to the hospital, the crew of Engine 2 asked Dorothy where they kept the lawn mower. Minutes later, Shipp says he watches as the entire crew finished cutting Ralph’s lawn and even swept up the grass clippings.

Touched by the selfless act of kindness, Shipp says “I couldn’t be more thankful for these first responders, I will sleep a little better knowing the capacity and heart of the people sworn to protect my family and I.”

fire save 1 fire save 2 fire save 3

Comments
  • That right

Friday, 28 August 2015, 1:54 pm
  • It was the RIGHT thing to do, no matter how you look at it. This is what our country needs more of. Neighbors helping neighbors. If everyone just did one random act of kindness a day, just think how awesome you’d feel.

Friday, 28 August 2015, 9:24 am
  • Thank You Engine 2 and forget Crazy B. I will always fight against the raising of tax dollars but I will say I am truly glad our Fire Fighters mowed that lawn on our dime Crazy B. This is why we pay a tax, for Public Service. It is a much better story than If it went the other way. Fire fighters save a man than go back to sit in the Air conditioning as his wife gets stuck mowing 2 foot high grass while he is being operated on. I would much rather read about how the fire fighters finished the Job.

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 11:05 pm
  • Good idea Skinny I miss the old fries from mc Donalds too. BTW these guys made it on national news today! So CRAZY B put that in your pipe and smoke it, Quit whining about a good deed,pretty please.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 3:46 pm
  • Hey crazy b
    Why don’t you go to the capital and git all the Senate and the House public servants fired for not doing their job on your dime .Hell better yet go to the white house and git back our original mc d fries that Michelle is hiding . Your are a poor excuse for our society. Somebody does something good for somebody and that pisses you off. They were in service and ready .

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 1:51 pm
  • Even people who ask others to proof read spell things wrong (shows not “showes”). There are so many errors in these posts it is extremely hard to take any of them seriously! Mr. Crazy B.- If they do not have a call, would you prefer them to be helping out the community members or sitting in the station just waiting? Obviously, they put calls first. You are truly a complete idiot! I’m sure the chief figured that out in the first five seconds of your conversation. As did the rest of the literate people on here.

Tuesday, 25 August 2015, 2:22 pm
  • You know as i sit here reading and taking all this in, i think to myself wow. Even me include don’t really see the whole picture here. I want to stand up for whats right but failed, because standing up for right is wrong and wrong is right, but what is right from the heart is right. Mother’s, father’s, sister’s, brother’s, cousins, aunt’s, uncle’s, friends, neighbors and yes even the good LORD. I feel as people of a great nation with equal rights for all no matter what color nor nationality we have forgotten golden rules. LOVE, PEACE, CHERISH, HONOR and the right for life

Tuesday, 25 August 2015, 12:42 pm
  • You got that right

Monday, 24 August 2015, 11:15 pm
  • Hey crazy B you should proof read before you post. Showes your a uneducated waste of space and proves your not worthy of having any say in this county so please leave.

Monday, 24 August 2015, 10:05 pm
  • Thank you and yes paid taxes 40 years and i love how it’s be spent, especially in ferguson and im sure you agree with how your fellow Americans are acting there huh…nice job crazy B…jealousy will get you no where…crazy c or d what ever fits…lol what a joke

Monday, 24 August 2015, 9:40 pm
  • If you pay taxes here you are more of a jerk we will see what the chief will do the is our money if you care

Monday, 24 August 2015, 8:58 pm
  • Agreed. I will sign a petition to save engine #2 jobs and keep the good moral of all public servants jobs, even if we break an egg once in awhile

Monday, 24 August 2015, 8:26 pm
  • Crazy b. I wonder what that stand for. I’ve looked up many meaning and there’s only a couple i came up with, but they really don’t seem to fit. They did it on my dime also, so please blame me because i told them it was ok. And when the do mow your lawn because you needed little help i wont say a word other then good job guy’s keep up the awesome work, and don’t worry about what that CRAZY “B” HAS TO SAY.

Monday, 24 August 2015, 6:35 pm
  • That is an absolutely beautiful story. Those young men helping out in the community. Makes you have real faith in people again. Hernando county needs more great guys like them…….saving lives in more ways than one. Thank you for posting this……certainly puts a big smile on my face.

Monday, 24 August 2015, 5:09 pm
  • Crazy B. I think you will lose the vote against the 7500 others that agree with this situation. You are not the only person living here in this county. Maybe it’s time you move out of here because you’re not wanted.

Monday, 24 August 2015, 5:01 pm
  • Awesome job engine 2. More people should be like you all. You guys are great.

Monday, 24 August 2015, 4:40 pm
  • They can go after there shift not on my tax money time that they want to raise for fire services

Monday, 24 August 2015, 4:30 pm
  • Have a call in to the chief and the county I have been here for 30 years not going anywhere a—–e

Monday, 24 August 2015, 4:26 pm
  • Wow whats your meaning of on your time. when your laying in the dirt and need help i hope they take their time getting there and they make you crawl to the ambulance and say im on crazy b’s time and we just can’t do good deeds anymore and you’ll have to mow your own lawn, and lets see how you feel then.

Monday, 24 August 2015, 2:11 pm
  • Crazy B please move out of the county your not wanted here. Please post your real name and address so all know who you are and emergency services can skip your house when your time is up. Your a Jerk with no life or heart. I’m sure if they got a call they would have taken it. As you can see the crews had there radio on them during this act of kindness. So go get a life u miserable jerk.

Monday, 24 August 2015, 1:27 pm
  • Hay just a regular Joe I am going to take this up with the chief if they want to cut the lawn do it after there shift not on my time that engine was not working on another call

Monday, 24 August 2015, 1:05 pm
  • I recommend everyone do one good deed a day. And just maybe thing’s might start to change, and if one makes you feel good think what two will do

Monday, 24 August 2015, 9:57 am
  • Good job

Monday, 24 August 2015, 7:52 am
  • This story has gotten 70K hits from all over the country on FB. I’m sure those kind FF’s had no idea that their random act of kindness would make them famous. We are a lucky community to have such dedicated public servants working amongst us.

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 11:02 pm
  • Nice job guys…hats off to you all 🙂

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 10:50 pm
  • Crazy b nice going. Cut your own lawn. Your just a positive person. Happy cutting.

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 10:37 pm
  • I used to be one of the Hernando County Fire Rescue Explorers for 8 years of my 24 years of age. And I saw a lot of good deeds that were done by our county fire department, but none were even close to being like this one. So the next time you call 911, you can be sure we are going to be there to help you out. I Miss Working With The Crews From Engine 2 , especially That crew that did a good deed for someone else. Congradulations to the crew of Engine 2 for another job well done. PROUD OF YOU GUYS FROM STATION 2.

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 9:42 pm
  • Seriously! I wasn’t sure if I read the headlines correctly…. Hernando County FireFighters You Guys Rock!
    God Bless all of you and may your Guardian Angels keep you protected while you do your job helping our community ?
    Well look at this Tom a happy story that has gotten allot of hits. Keep up on all of your good work, so many of us rely on you??

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 8:56 pm
  • Do your own yard Crazy B. Don’t be so negative . I think some people rather see bad news than good ones. Awesome job engine 2! Hope the guy is okay

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 8:10 pm
  • I would have loved to see the house / veteran story….. ?

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 7:55 pm
  • Wow a kind deed turned tragic. We need more kind deeds in this cruel world

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 7:44 pm
  • My county taxes paying these guys to cut lawns come cut my mine I hope the commissioners see this they want to raise our taxes

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 7:16 pm
  • That is the best news I have read in a long time. It does go to show there a still great people out there. That Engine 2 for your great support to someone in need.

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 6:42 pm
  • Agreed 10 fold

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 4:50 pm
  • Best story I’ve read in a while. Thankyou to our firefighters.

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 3:18 pm
  • TOM LEMONS – How old was this poor guy, Ralph???

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 2:50 pm
  • That’s great Tom but you missed a great story Thursday unless I missed it here. It was the house that was given away for the disabled vet in spring hill. Local businesses even helped the family get moved in and transported to their new home. Vets escorted the family down their street to the house. It was a nice thing to do for the family. I think it would top fire crews mowing a lawn.

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 2:45 pm
      • Last year ! Sorry this soldier did not matter enough I’m sure there was a fender bender at the time you had to cover. Oh well.

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 5:06 pm
  • It’s HIPAA, not HIPPA.
    We need more people to act selflessly. Bless you engine 2, you all did an amazing thing for this couple. Thank you

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 2:37 pm
  • It’s nice that see a story like this….instead of the usual pill,meth,thug punk story…or car wrecks BY careless operators….THANK YOU Tom…

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 2:36 pm
  • Above and beyond the call of duty , great story.I had to call rescue for my husband once and they are the ones who saved his life that day! Thank you for a good story and thank you fire and rescue.?

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 1:48 pm
  • Wow that just brought tears, thats go above the call if duty. But i wouldn’t expect any less…proud American people help when not ask, way to go engine #2. Keep up the honorable of heart felt on what is right from the heart, the world need to be shown that we all need to help and work as a team or things will never change. Thank u to all engine #2 your my kind of people i want in my neighborhood

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 1:48 pm
  • what a nice bunch of guys THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. its nice to have a good story

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 1:08 pm
  • Awesome job!!! My all the firefighters and explorer Jordan Gennusa

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 12:37 pm
  • Love those guys!!!! Thanks for all you do!

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 12:28 pm
  • GREAT heartfelt news, for a change! Woo-Hoo’s for those who STEP-UP to walk,NOT the TALK!

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 12:26 pm
  • Love these guys…this is what makes HC Great.

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 11:53 am
  • Love this story! But isn’t it Hippa to share the medical information?

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 11:52 am
  • What an act of kindness. I was just telling my wife that I made a comment on how nice a well dressed senior women looked coming out of publix . My wife said she was sure that made that ladies day. Will let me tell you this story really made my day. Great Job Engine 2 .

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 11:43 am
  • Awesome Awesome Awesome. Way to go fire rescue! Way above the call of duty! Blessings to you all!

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 11:43 am
  • Jordan Genussa, your dad would be really proud of you for following in his footsteps and taking care of the citizens in Hernando county. What a great young man you are. Lots of love your way.

Thank you to the wonderful role models in his life that have reached out through the ride along program. You are all much appreciated.

Love our fire rescue. ?

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 11:29 am
  • Just goes to show you our Fire Rescue goes above and behond to help our citizens. Thanks engine 2!

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 11:19 am
  • Looks like some local teens should be helping the rest of the neighborhood!! These Fire Rescue guys are truly awesome. These things make a big difference in peoples lives. Great job guys 🙂

Sunday, 23 August 2015, 11:08 am