Flag Burning Planned to Protest Hernando County’s “Racist History”

BROOKSVILLE – If you thought Hernando County was going avoid getting caught up in the national controversy over the Confederate flag – think again. A Tampa Bay area activist group, led by Bettejo Passalaqua, has plans to burn a Confederate flag on the courthouse steps this Saturday, and some local residents are not too happy with the idea.

The event posted on Facebook called Brooksville Burn the Confederate Flag announces plans to burn the flag at 11:00 am tomorrow morning, in protest of what organizers say is “Hernando County’s long history of racism, oppression, lynchings and other atrocities against the African American community.”

They also claim that Brooksville was called the Lynching capitol of Florida and only second to Mississippi in number of lynchings across the United States, during the Civil War.

Organizers even attack county government officials by saying they wanted remind citizens of the “…Racist mindset of the “good old boys” who run this county.”

Local War Veteran Activist, Deb Howard, is angry over the protest and says “If the flag offends you, then you need a history lesson.” Howard, says “I’m not going to stand down!” and plans to be there tomorrow, along with many others who oppose the demonstration. Howard recently organized a massive restoration project to help save Brooksville’s African American Civil War Cemetery and dares anyone to call her racist.

Ashley Walker says “It’s a flag… It’s part of our history and southern heritage, so why is it such a problem now?

Tina Andracke Henize said in a recent RNRF facebook thread “It’s all about racism. The Old South was all about slavery. The heritage some love surrounding that flag is all about slavery and white supremacy.”

President Barack Obama even commented on the Confederate flag today, while delivering a eulogy for those who died in the South Carolina Church Massacre. He said “We have to admit that the flag represents more than ancestral history…” he goes on to say “By taking down that flag we express God’s grace…”

Passalaqua is a member of Occupy Tampa and the International Woman’s Peace Service IWPS, a group that believes Palestinian women and children are being slaughtered by Israeli soldiers in an organized genocidal campaign.

Brooksville Police Chief George Turner says he has an operational plan in place to keep the peace.

RNRF will be on the steps of the Brooksville courthouse tomorrow to bring you coverage of this highly controversial event.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ™2013 Real News Real Fast, Inc.

9788_10205818099145960_165889584082447084_n 4804449_1433286960.9192 bettjo

Comments
  • My 2nd & 3rd great-grandfathers fought with the Florida 9th Infantry, Company B 1862-1863 in Florida, and 1864-1865 in Virginia, only my 2nd great-grandfather made it back to Orange Springs, Florida. They did not support slavery, they were only fighting to protect their families from the invading Northern armies. My 2nd great-grandfather had (5) African American men living as borders in his home 1920 prior to his death.

Tuesday, 8 August 2017, 10:37 am
  • The confederate flag haves more meaning and dedication than most people in this country them men that fought for the ground we walk on land of dixie i wasn’t born in Florida matter of fact im a Kentucky born and breed I love the south better than most of you people do.that dont understand history of course back then people didnt ride around the south causing trouble they worked together not like it is now so burning the confederate flag is just another way to get a real Florida cracker mad have respect for our country.

Tuesday, 26 July 2016, 2:55 pm
  • Wow…IGNORANCE ON THE RISE!!

Thursday, 2 July 2015, 7:52 pm
  • Exactly!

Monday, 29 June 2015, 3:33 pm
  • I don’t judge them by their skin color, I judge them by the content of their character….Thus, I still hate them

Sunday, 28 June 2015, 11:40 pm
  • Whites have been able to be “divided” on the black issue because half of us never really experienced what its like to live or work around blacks. So we go on the defensive and suport blacks whenever there’s a discussion about race.
    The other half of us,…who have witnessed “first hand” what it’s like to watch our neighborhoods go to hell, or have lived or worked in or around predominately black neighborhoods or establishments know all too well that “most” blacks are not only racists,…they are violent racists.
    Blacks have done an excellent job keeping us divided….They know the strategy works,…and they can’t believe how stupid we are.

Sunday, 28 June 2015, 11:34 pm
  • DAMN my ancestors for not picking their own cotton! And damn John Deere for not making reliable farm machinery a century earlier!

Sunday, 28 June 2015, 11:33 pm
  • You all sound and act like ignorant, ra ist FOX FOLLOWERS. I feel sorry for tall and ask God for forgiveness for all.

Sunday, 28 June 2015, 6:20 pm
  • No one can nail down what a Confederate flag means. It means different things to different people. It should be allowed on private property, but not flown on government buildings. That’s what the state flag is for. The woman who wants to burn it is a professional agitator. She just loves stirring up trouble. She should be ignored.

Sunday, 28 June 2015, 5:32 pm
  • The Confederate Flag is not a symbol of racisum it stands for the Southern States of America and if some Fing racist idiot thinks so then all you retarded short bus riding a==holes can kiss all of our asses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 10:36 pm
  • Wow ignorance. Burning all the flags of the world Will not change any racist ass from being stupid and kill. People educate yourselves and do not look like a bunch of ignorant cave people.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 7:39 pm
  • Any updates

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 7:06 pm
  • I feel very sad for all that is involved! It seems to me we have a lot of very real issues going on that we could be focusing on instead of history the flag is a southern thing when I see it i dont think slave cause guesd what that was long ago and none of us was slaves or had slaves thats way over time to move past it we dont say take mlk day down why dont we have American indian day look what all thay lost really its time to see what is important American!!!

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 6:29 pm
  • I’m gonna wipe my a** with the African piece of s**t flag then burn that mother f**ker

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 5:27 pm
    • So, how long have you been a deputy here in Hernando?

Sunday, 28 June 2015, 8:11 am
  • Where’s the update at? A** holes were shut down and sent home. Brooksville stood tall with flags flying high. I guess realnewsrealfast didn’t get the outcome they wanted.
    Report what happened at 11:00am today on the steps of the Brooksville Courthouse.
    All races stood together as one. Take that s**t somewhere else.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 4:46 pm
  • So did it happen or what?

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 4:45 pm
  • Confederate flag not burned in Hernando after protesters confronted!

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 4:41 pm
  • It’s Brooksville….a poor southern city…aren’t you po folks tired of this crap being stirred up in your nice,backwards, communitay?…keeping your blacks in one area and blaming north…oops Yankees for your woes…..fly your stupid flag keep living in the 1920’s….oh ya THE WAR IS OVER!!!!!….GET SOME GOOD PAYING JOBS…not ones that pay minimum wage…..be proud….

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 4:35 pm
  • So, what happened? Any flag burning, any actual reporting instead of putting up stories to add to the advertising budget?

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 3:58 pm
  • Freedom of Assembly is a constitutional right. Doesn’t matter if you agree or disagree.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 2:28 pm
  • Did they get a permit?

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 2:17 pm
  • Update Tom?

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 1:14 pm
  • If no one in our own town is protesting why would you want to let an outsider in to stir the pot where there is no pot? People need to realize that when you take a right away from me it also takes that same right away from you. It is all fine and dandy until someone tAkes something away from you. If you want to come take my flag just try and walk on my property. I WILL STAND MY GROUND AND YOU WILL NOT LIKE THE RESULTS.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 12:09 pm
  • Burn baby burn

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 11:31 am
  • I really hope these idiots don’t come here and make a s**t mess in our beautiful town. Run their a** out of here when they show up!

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 10:56 am
  • You all dont fall into an obama trap stay together and pray surround the court house with everyone hold hands and pray. 1 question you can fly a nazii flag this is divide and conquer my star of David is gping up AMD GATOR NO PUNRUATION AMD SPELLING FOR YOU SO YOU CAN INSULT ME AND SHOW YOUR EVIL IGNORANCE AMD HEU GATOR IN JESUS MAME I STILL LOVE YOU AMD WOULD GIVE MY LIFE FOR YOU TO BE FREE

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 8:46 am
    • WOW! What did gator say to get under your skin?

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 1:09 pm
  • It seems to me that so many people have all this extra time with nothing to do. I have an idea go and volunteer that time at one of the local food banks, shelters, thrift stores. I think so much time is wasted on stupid things go do something that matters. I will pray for this to stop.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 7:43 am
  • A bunch of whining vaginas. F**k the Confederate flag and its so called history. Who dwells on a loss for this long. It’s like loosing the Stanley cup and then going to have one made to pretend you won lol. You can’t change the history of the flag. It was present during many lynchings and cross burnings among other genocides and massacre. Thats the history and heritage your so desperately holding on to? So let that trash burn!

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 7:36 am
  • Thanks real news real fast for proving me right…its funny how Hernando County isn’t racist, but all the white sheets in these posts…WOW!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 :-), on the other hand there is only a few ignorant folks behind a “southern tradition” as they would call it!

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 7:15 am
  • Some of the larger cities in the Northeast, which are generally considered the most “liberal” are factually known as some of the most racist ie; Boston, New York etc. I was born in the North, raised in FL. Been here since the 70″s. I never judged people on their skin color. My parents never taught or exhibited any signs of racism. Maybe that’s why I treat people the way they treat me, not by skin color.
    As far as the Confederate flag goes …. I believe most people in favor of it are not saying Yea Racism! Yea slavery! I think it due to they are proud of the fact they were born and raised in the South. Period. Sadly yes, Brooksville did have quite the lurid history when it came to lynchings. That was quite many years ago…. What I see now is a very diverse community. Both of my children have gone through the school system and both had many friends of different race and nationality. I see it here in Hernando County not as a anamoly, but as the norm. Why rehash and open old wounds. This is definitely a woman looking for her 15 minutes of fame, while creating division, not cohesion and acceptance of one another.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 6:41 am
    • How very true! The klan was very present in the rural areas up north as well. In fact, the quaint little village of Pine Bush, about 90 miles from NYC is known for 2 things, there’s been alleged UFO sightings up there, it’s considered the Roswell of the East, and it’s one of the few areas left where there’s any klan activity to speak of. In NYC the racism was all too alive and well, only a bit more subtle. I remember my parents telling me nobody burned crosses in daBronx, only real estate offices on Pelham Parkway, Riverdale, Baychester, Soundview and other “good” neighborhoods that dared to show co-ops and townhouses to those “G-Ddamned n****rs” and “filthy sp*cs”. That’s what the vast majority of progressives always thought about them. “Oh, sh!t there goes the neighborhood” was an infamous battle cry then, and still is wherever Lear Jet libs live. Remember too Hilary’s mansion in Chappaqua, an “old money” town in Westchester at one time had covenants and deed restrictions on it forbidding it’s sale to, as they were called back then, Negroes, Jews or other “undesirables”. Look at the demographics of that town even today.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 5:11 pm
  • You go Gator…And Doc, I think you need to get a life. Burn that BATTLE FLAG…as for burning Old Glory, do that and we should ship your ass off to some nice third world country where you don’t have the right to breathe much less speak your mind. LISTEN TO GATOR…well spoken 😉

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 4:50 am
  • I was born in daBronx, so I never really had an affinity for the Confederate flag. But thanks to the politically correct NOT SEES, now I’m inclined to but a few just on principle. Palestinian sympathizers like these and other Jew-haters have also disparaged the Israeli flag the same way, so I can certainly empathize.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 3:41 am
  • My thoughts if anyone cares…..ignore the rally and don’t give it any lip service then maybe she will go home.

@Serenity Doc made a great post regarding the history of the flag and there was one right after it regarding the civil war and the facts in the prior thread regarding the flag they are easy to find right at the bottom. You should read those before you tell me a flag is racist. Flags can’t be racist only the people holding them.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 2:08 am
  • it’s time to put all this racist BS to bed and function on how to get us out of a marxist muslim controlled regime and back to
    America.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 1:44 am
  • I just don’t get it how much more do they think we owe them ? after all they just got new sidewalks with Red Light Camera Money.

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 12:11 am
  • GUYS IF IT WAS JUST ABOUT HERITAGE, THEN IT WOULD BE FINE, BUT WHEN ITS TIED TO SLAVERY, RAPES, MURDER, HANGING, INJUSTICE….WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR FAMILY HISTORY AND YOU SEE ALL THAT BECAUSE THE COLOR OF YOUR SKIN….SO YOU MIGHT UNDERSTAND IF I DON’T LOVE THE REBEL FLAG…HELL IN THE 80’s THE KLAN STILL HAD RALLYS ON THE HERNANDO COUNTY COURTHOUSE STEPS…

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 12:02 am
  • Y’all know what folk’s. If you really want to hate a flag for slavery Then you need to look at “old Glory” it flew over this country for 246 years. Hundred’s of thousands of slaves were bought old sold under it. Here’s another tid bit for y’all. The first slave owner in this country was a black tobacco farmer in the Virginia conolny. I guess what I am trying to say is that before you condemn something you need to check history and get your facts straight.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 11:45 pm
  • The ignorance among these comments is overwhelming, but sadly, completely unsurprising.
    I’m glad this demonstration is happening and I hope to god that none of you show up and start the violence you think you’re predicting. If you’ve got an issue with forward thinking and this country taking another step in the direction of peace, safety, and comfort for all of it’s citizens regardless of their race then by all means, stay home. Don’t bring your ignorance to a place where none belongs.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 11:42 pm
  • Let’s burn the rainbow flag instead!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 11:14 pm
  • This is bullshit this us part of our history!! All you dumb a** f**k tards need to get a history lesson there is African Americans that were involved with this flag. It’s not all about us white people. Y’all have your own f***ing month. Y’all are ignorant and take things way to far. If this flag has to go what about all the other flags??

Friday, 26 June 2015, 11:11 pm
  • all I have got to say is WHY? WHY? WHY? we have enough problems in this world, quit adding fuel to the fire.
    stop listening to other people and use your own head, and pray

Friday, 26 June 2015, 10:56 pm
  • oh lord here our cry. we are a free America. What people do to get attention and stir up hate and incite hate is over whelming. Lord we need you now more than ever. You said for our us to love our neighbors and we try to do that but other people try to come in and cause trouble. This flag is just that . At one time it may have meant hate and been degrading but that history is long in the past. Im not saying people of color did not suffer but then again we all did war is war no one is ever left the same but it is past time to put all this behind us. we now live in a liberal world and are all born equal. So please Lord God speak to the hearts of people and stop this circus on sat. In your name I pray Amen

Friday, 26 June 2015, 10:54 pm
  • well if you blacks are gonna burn down your own city dont go cryin to the state for food stamps and unemployment cause theirs no businesses to hire you! i’ll be the car that drives thru your little hate group party and runs all your asses over!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 10:00 pm
  • all I can say is this probably isn’t going to end well but they probably already know that and are trying to insight a riot somebody please put a stop to this crap that flag didnt march into a church and kill any one a cracked human did nothing more nothing less

Friday, 26 June 2015, 9:50 pm
  • Dont worry if Obama and Hillary have their way, the ISIS flag will be in every government building and school in America!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 9:31 pm
  • Will they have a burn perment and if they don’t arest the fools

Friday, 26 June 2015, 9:27 pm
  • Oh God its 1964 all over again! Just get over it.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 9:24 pm
  • I’m not sure if the link will work but I hope it does. They will be in for a surprise when they drive all the way up here. This is OUR town. Stay out.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 9:07 pm
  • Anybody got a Malcolm X flag that can burn on those steps

Friday, 26 June 2015, 8:43 pm
  • I hope our community is strong and will stay strong. We have all been through trying times, but we are a wonderful small town. Most of us know one another and have lived peacefully for many years. If anyone feels oppressed, leave. We love and try to help one another. We are hard working people. Drugs are our downfall.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 8:26 pm
  • I understand change is frightening.
    However your flag has long had a history of bigotry and cowardice.
    It’s time to turn the page on that part of American History.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 8:26 pm
    • Preach. Bless you.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 11:44 pm
  • I wonder what I’m going to read in tomorrow’s headlines? “A Riot ensued when…..

Friday, 26 June 2015, 8:18 pm
  • Mr. Lemmons, you are a f*cking genius! So many people despise you, but can’t stop paying attention to what you do!

Look how everyone is up in a row!

If newspapers were smart they’d try to buy you out, then hire you.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:48 pm
  • do you know that the organizer is a Palestinian he’s anti Jew he wasn’t born here his name Bettejo Passalaqua

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:41 pm
    • George, Catch up Buddy. He’s a she ‘Bettejo’ picture is above in article. Not in a Jennerectomy way. Yes she’s pro-Palestine. She used to live in Omak,WA. She was a Pastor’s Assistant @ ST. John Catholic Church on an Indian Reservation. Also, what does it say up there WIPS? Women In Peaceful Service?
      Confused yet?
      She likes to travel and start stuff.
      She was part of that Ybor City- May Day -Not One More – Illegal immigrant sent back to Mexico deal.
      Everybody come + everybody stay nut-job.
      Just like Facebook – Post It and they will come, what else do they have to do?
      Let’s all pray that she gets a real job and starts paying taxes soon.
      Good night folks.
      Please speak English without *****. 🙂

Friday, 26 June 2015, 10:37 pm
  • Maybe these out of towners should learn of the history of Hernando County over the last 35 years before they come in here lay claim to ridding Hernando County of Hate. Most of you were not around in the mid 1980’s when we run the KKK out of the Brooksville court house square with their tails between their legs or when they tried to return in the early part of 1990’s and didn’t even make the paper except for a 50 word paragraph on page 8. The Confederate Flag flown here in Hernando County is about Southern Pride and NOTHING to do with race. Sure we have a few kids who thinks its cool to run their mouths only to get their butts kicked when they get home. We don’t need this crap tomorrow in our county and don’t want it. Please all show up white, black, green, yellow, and don’t let this hate win. We don’t need this in our county and don’t want it. Send this attention wanting bitch back to Tampa with the Confederate Flag burn sticking right out of her $%$.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:36 pm
  • Here is my thought of this situation, The greatest thing that can happen at this so called up in coming flag burning p_ssy way out of growing balls and accepting history event,would be that the bitch that lights that flag should burn with it. I have lived in this county over 40 years and believe it or not i havent seen one slave!! Now i have seen All colors leading into stupidity, moochers, squatters, homeless and so forth, but not once have i seen a slave!! Get the f_uck off you slave crutch!! This sh_t is getting old real fast! I dare any living man to set foot on my property and just try a stunt like this!!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:26 pm
  • If burning it makes them feel better then good for them. The civil war was not about racism, the Confederate flag is not automatically racist. I just might be at the court house tomorrow, I will be the long haired guy wearing a confederate flag bandana.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:12 pm
  • I’m afraid this will turn very ugly and will make CNN by evening.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:10 pm
  • I agree that this should not happen in our home town We can not change the past history of our hometown Brooksville Florida but can change the future by showing no violence there’s to much in this world today ,but stand together as a community arm in arm (All color) set aside and love thy neighbor and respect eachother and our town enough to stand and say ENOUGH DON’T THINK YOUR BURNING A FLAG IN OUR HOME TOWN. BURN IT IN YOUR OWN !!!!!!!!!!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:08 pm
  • Wow ,the sheep are letting the ruling class divide us further for conquering. Wake up idiots ,stop drinking their cool-aid!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:01 pm
  • The entire confederate flag argument on both sides is simply petty squabbling in the shadow of the recently passed TPP. Your medicine will become more expensive. The GDP will drop. Copyright law will become far more stringent (see: the downfall of the entrepreneur). Environmental standards will plummet. This plan was primarily written by Halliburton, Chevron, PHRMA, Comcast, and the Motion Picture Association of America. This plan was NOT written by our representatives and the majority of them know next to nothing about it! But it has been approved!

You’ve all been bamboozled; fed a polarizing tale to keep you distracted. Look at what you missed.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:01 pm
  • We will see tomorrow, please understand Florida has a stand your ground law. I would hate to see it used tomorrow one time or hundred. Hernando residents should protect themselves and community from racist black aggressors.. I guess a flag caused racism, blacks to sell their own and of course commit crime at 3 times the rate of whites, I guess all the black countries in the world are so poor and corrupt because of a flag. The Uhuru or what ever they are are a bunch of racist trash as bad or worse than the nazis, they are socialist who blame all whites, they should be exported out to Africa or hung.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:00 pm
  • LMFAO Burn her EBT Card! AHH HAHAHA

Friday, 26 June 2015, 6:56 pm
  • Absolute insanity!!!!! Libtards strike again. Lets do a rainbow flag burning and an isis flag burning, have a feeling then there would be an outcry! The end times are near. Smfh!!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 6:56 pm
  • People like her good Lord knows where she is from but instead OF trying to drag a small and wonderful town like brooksville into her crap should go back to what ever hell she came from

Friday, 26 June 2015, 6:54 pm
  • The courthouse never displayed a confederate flag. Under state statute chapter 256, courthouses can fly the U.S. flag, the state flag, MIA/POW flags and firefighter memorial flags.
    So these folks from Tampa are bringing us a flag they hate and burning it under our noses. What did we do to deserve the insult?

Friday, 26 June 2015, 6:36 pm
  • If this is the one and same Bettejo Pasq…….who is organizing this …look where she lives!

Bettejo Passalaqua , 54
    1488 Algood Rd,
    Spring Hill, FL 34607-3905

Friday, 26 June 2015, 6:34 pm
  • That flag stands for racial oppression and racial hate!! It should have burned a long time ago. As for the Black college remark, I have never heard of a black college turning away any race. They welcome any and everybody who wants to attend. I hope when you’re teaching your children and grand children about this racist a** flag make sure you tell them the truth about how those slave owners raped and killed slaves for sport. Tell them how black babies were taken from their mothers and used to hunt gators. Then to add insult to injury the same black slave mothers had to nurse their slave masters children off of their breast!! Let that [email protected]#ch burn!!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 6:29 pm
  • The best thing that could happen is NO ONE show up except the fire department. People like that want to incite and excite lots of people. The media should not continue to give them time and space. All the air would be out of their balloons….

Friday, 26 June 2015, 6:25 pm
  • do they need a permit to assemble there?

Friday, 26 June 2015, 6:22 pm
  • How do you protest something that happened in the past? It is American history like it or not, some people have the need to start trouble where there is no trouble. Bettejo Passalaqua needs to stay in Tampa, we do not need her kind here. She is nothing more than a pot stirrer and she may raise the ire of the wrong people here in Hernando. Ole Bettejo needs to go over to the Middle East and start her crap over there and she will get her ass handed to her then may be she will shut the H– Up !

Friday, 26 June 2015, 6:12 pm
  • I thought burning the flag was illegal? I don’t claim to be a well educated person on out history, but a flag is a flag. Shouldn’t it be illegal to burn a flag? I realize people are trying to make it all about race, especially since that idiot that did the shooting made the statements he made, however, all she and everyone else with her mindset are doing is giving him more and more attention. Which he is probably loving. I would not want to destroy a piece of history and that flag represents a BIG part of history. Our children and grandchildren should know about the history of our country.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:58 pm
  • Do not give them the publicity!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:58 pm
  • These kind of stories bother me because it shows how ignorant people are about history. And It’s bulls*** that everything is “racist”. I get tired of the dumb people that chant and do stupid stuff like this wake up people your the reason Why there is racism issues. Why is it allowed to have all black college you don’t see pissed off white people rallying? Just annoyed!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:57 pm
  • PAT
    I say burn her EBT CARD

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:56 pm
  • I will be flying my southern flag tomorrow and DARE DOUBLE DARE SOMEONE TO TRY AND BURN IT OR STEP ON IT

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:48 pm
  • Give me a f****** break people.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:46 pm
  • I am fed up with activist and all the melodrama these days. I’m right your wrong my opinion matters yours is either racist homophobic and so on . people have feelings one way or the other. That does not give anyone the right to destroy property or endanger other folks. Seems like everybody has to have a cause to trumpet.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:44 pm
  • I think this is beyond a bad idea. This action will just serve to inspire negative ideas and incite anger from deep-seated emotions on both sides. Burning or banning anything won’t do a thing to negate the hatred that you think is represented by this flag – it will only send it deeper and wider.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:43 pm
  • I agree w the doc looks like arson to me

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:38 pm
  • IF I Get the Confederate Flag tattooed on My skin will it be OK when I Get Assaulted or Burned?

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:30 pm
  • THIS IS MY OPINION!
    To those of you that feel the Confederate flag is an “affront” to their race, religion or ethnicity, and those that find a particular “word” or “gesture”, reason enough to justify any act of violence, I have one thing to say to you, GET A F*@KING LIFE! There are too many things in this world that “WE” as human beings need to start fixing, to ensure our quality of life, and the lives of others. If we invested as much time, working to clean up our environment, helping our neighbors, trying to be tolerant of others rather than looking for any excuse to incite or cause harm, our world would change for the better. Racism exists because people refuse to put aside past history and move on. I really couldn’t care less that great great grandpa owned slaves or was a slave. I don’t care if my neighbor wants to worship bigfoot as long as he doesn’t demand that I do too! I don’t care if he wants to marry a billy goat as long as it doesn’t affect my life or any of the people I care about. I don’t care what color your skin is, as long as you treat me with the same respect as I’m willing to treat you. I don’t care if your a Democrat or Republican as long as you realize that either one could be a ignorant, stupid asshole. If everyone would be “TOLERANT” of each other and quit trying to impose their beliefs onto others, there would be little conflict in the world.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:30 pm
    • Gator I like you feel that we as people should try and get along and not worry about who owned who in 1865 or what color your skin is in 2015 if we treat each other with respect and dignity. that is all that should matter. If you were my neighbor and you were from God knows where and your house caught fire I would do the neighborly thing and call for help which is what I would hope you would do for me. It should not matter if you are White, Black ,Asian, Hispanic, Arabic Gay Bi Transgender, or Lesbian. We all need to stop Hating and just Live the best we can.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 7:21 pm
    • Very well said GATOR, I fully agree…

Saturday, 27 June 2015, 1:05 am
  • Really!! I guess burning the confederate flag shows LOVE and PEACE!!!!! Really people get it together. The flags been around forever and your now digging it up. I guess you want us to teach our children if you don’t like something lets be like HITLER!!! And burn it…. I’m a native Floridian. Born and raised in Brooksville fl, Yes Brooksville does have some history thats not all sweet. But I’m sure if we go to every state in America they all have stories. Yep some are up North, East, West every where.!!! Where oh my gosh they dont have confederate flags. Whats the excuse for them. This world is getting to be really sad. You allow things that are crazy. Then push things down that are history. I’LL BE PRAYING FOR THIS clan!!!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:28 pm
  • I Must say I Was Raised in Brooksville, Florida. For the Younger half of My life, BUT I Don’t remember Many people that Flew or Showed the Confederate Flag.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:27 pm
  • defacing the steps of the court house with fire?

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:23 pm
  • hernando will arrest them for arson. hahaha stupid f**ks.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:15 pm
  • If this happens on Saturday, Brooksville Fire Department needs to be on speed dial along, with the police department,to apprehend the violators for open burning within the city limits.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:10 pm
  • What a bunch of wackos the flag is the battle flag of northern Virginia. I,m a Yankee also and the southerners have the right to there history. Oh I Don,t have one but I think I will get one.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:09 pm
  • They should arrest these people for inciting a riot which is exactly what will happen most likely if they go through with it . Somebody is going to get hurt sadly . It’s not right.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:59 pm
  • People need to stop going to other places and trying tell the residents already there how to live.. If you don’t like what people are doing somewhere else then by all means stay where you are, don’t go there kick’in up a fuss. Many residents of Brooksville understand this flags history and do not use it as a symbol of hate or racism. Our small town is doing just fine, for the most part everyone gets along, I don’t see much racial tension and we don’t need some city slicker running herself on down here to stir some up.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:55 pm
  • If you burn one flag you better burn them all.
    I want to repost this for those who missed it the other day.
    i THOUGHT THIS WAS INTERESTING ENOUGH TO POST. AGAIN

History books, the media, the school systems, etc abound in falsehoods and inaccuracies of Confederate and Southern history. This fact sheet will help to clarify and dispell some of these rampant inaccuracies.

MYTH – The War of 1861 – 1865 was fought over slavery.

FACT – Terribly untrue. The North fought the war over money. Plain and simple. When the South started Secession, Lincoln was asked, “Why not let the South go in peace?” To which he replied, “I can’t let them go. Who would pay for the government?” Sensing total financial ruin for the North, Lincoln waged war on the South. The South fought the War to repel Northern aggression and invasion.

MYTH – Only Southerners owned slaves.

FACT – Entirely untrue. Many Northern civilians owned slaves. Prior to, during and even after the War Of Northern Aggression.

Surprisingly, to many history impaired individuals, most Union Generals and staff had slaves to serve them! William T. Sherman had many slaves that served him until well after the war was over and did not free them until late in 1865.

U.S. Grant also had several slaves, who were only freed after the 13th amendment in December of 1865. When asked why he didn’t free his slaves earlier, Grant stated “Good help is so hard to come by these days.”

Contrarily, Confederate General Robert E. Lee freed his slaves (which he never purchased – they were inherited) in 1862!!! Lee freed his slaves several years before the war was over, and considerably earlier than his Northern counterparts. And during the fierce early days of the war when the South was obliterating the Yankee armies!

Lastly, and most importantly, why did NORTHERN States outlaw slavery only AFTER the war was over? The so-called “Emancipation Proclamation” of Lincoln only gave freedom to slaves in the SOUTH! NOT in the North! This pecksniffery even went so far as to find the state of Delaware rejecting the 13th Amendment in December of 1865 and did not ratify it (13th Amendment / free the slaves) until 1901!

MYTH – The Confederate Battle Flag was flown on slave ships.

FACT – NONE of the flags of the Confederacy or Southern Nation ever flew over a slave ship. Nor did the South own or operate any slaves ships. The English, the Dutch and the Portugese brought slaves to this country, not the Southern Nation.

BUT, even more monumental, it is also very important to know and understand that Federal, Yankee, Union ships brought slaves to America! These ships were from the New England states, and their hypocrisy is atrocious.

These Federals were ones that ended up crying the loudest about slavery. But without their ships, many of the slaves would have never arrived here. They made countless fortunes on the delivery of slaves as well as the products madefrom raw materials such as cotton and tobacco in the South.

This is the problem with Yankee history History is overwhelmingly portrayed incorrectly by most of the Federal & Yankee books and media.

MYTH – The Confederate Battle Flag represented the Southern Nation.

FACT – Not true. While the Southern Battle flag was carried into battle, the Southern Nation had 3 different National flags during the course of the war.

The First National flag was changed due to a resemblance of the US flag.

The Second National flag was subsequently modified due to the similarity to a flag of truce.

The Third National flag was the adopted flag of the Confederacy.

The Confederate Battle Flag was never a National Flag of the Confederacy. It was carried into battle by several armies such as the Army Of Northen Virginia and the Army of Tennessee. Was also used as a Naval Jack by the Confederate Navy.

MYTH – The Confederate Battle Flag is known as the “Stars & Bars”.

FACT – A common misconception. The First National Confederate Flag is correctly known as the “Stars & Bars”. The Confederate Battle Flag is known as the “Southern Cross”.

MYTH – The Confederate Battle Flag represents racism today.

FACT – The Confederate Battle Flag today finds itself in the center of much controversy and hoopla going on in several states. The cry to take this flag down is unjustified. It is very important to keep in mind that the Confederate Battle Flag was simply just that. A battle flag. It was never even a National flag, so how could it have flown over a slave nation or represented slavery or racism? This myth is continued by lack of education and ignorance. Those that villify the Confederate Battle Flag are very confused about history and have jumped upon a bandwagon with loose wheels.

MYTH – The United States Flag represented freedom.

FACT – No chance. The US flag flew over a slave nation for over 85 years! The North tolerated slavery and acknowledged it as a Division Of Labor. The North made a vast fortune on slavery and it’s commodities. It wasn’t until the South decided to leave the Union that the North objected. The North knew it could not survive without the Southern money. That is the true definition of hypocrisy.

MYTH – Abraham Lincoln was the Great Emancipator.

FACT – While Lincoln has went down in history as the Great Emancipator, many would not care to hear his real thoughts on people of color. Martyred President Abraham Lincoln was fervently making plans to send all freed slaves to the jungles of Central America once the war was over. Knowing that African society would never allow the slaves to return back to Africa, Lincoln also did not want the slaves in the US. He thought the jungles of Central America would be the best solution and conducive to the freed slaves best interest. The only thing that kept this from happening, was his assassination.

MYTH – The South revered slavery.

FACT – A very interesting fact on slavery is that at the time the War of 1861 -1865 officially commenced, the Southern States were actually in the process of freeing all slaves in the South. Russia had freed it’s servants in 1859, and the South took great note of this. Had military intervention not been forced upon the South, a very different America would have been realized then as well as now.

MYTH – The Confederate Army was comprised of rich slave owners.

FACT – Very far from true. The vast majority of soldiers in the Confederate Army were simple men of meager income. Most of which were hard working farmers and common men. Then, as now, very few rich men ever fight a war.

MYTH – Only the North had men of color in their ranks.

FACT – Quite simply a major falsehood of history. Many blacks, both free and of their own will, joined the Confederate Army to fight for their beloved Southern home. Additionally, men of other ethnic extraction fought as well. Oriental, Mexican & Spanish men as well as Native American Indians fought with pride for the South.

Today, many men of color are members in the heritage group SCV – Sons Of Confederate Veterans. These men of color and pride rejoice in their heritage. The continued attacks on the Southern Nation, The Confederacy, and her symbols are a terrible outrage to these fine people. These attacks should be denounced with as much fervor as those who denounce the South.

MYTH – The Confederate Flags are an authorized symbol of Aryan, KKK and hate groups.

FACT – Quite the contrary. These dispicable organizations such as the KKK and Aryans have taken a hallowed piece of history, and have plagued good Southern folks and the memories of fine Confederate Soldiers that fought under the flag with their perverse agenda. IN NO WAY does the Confederate Flag represent hate or violence. Heritage groups such as the SCV battle daily the damage done to a proud nation by these hate groups. The SCV denounces all hate groups, and pridefully boast HERITAGE – NOT HATE.

MYTH – The SCV – Sons Of Confederate Veterans are a racist, hate group.

FACT – This is a blatant attack on one of the finest heritage groups ever. The SCV – Sons Of Confederate Veterans are a historical, patriotic and non-political organization comprised of descendents of Confederate Soldiers and sailors dedicated to insuring that a true history of the 1861 -1865 period is preserved and presented to the public. The SCV continues to educate the public of the memory and reputation of the Confederate soldier as well as the motives for his suffering and sacrifice.

The SCV – Sons Of Confederate Veterans are in NO WAY affiliated with, nor does it recognize or condone the terrible legacy of hate groups such as the KKK

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:54 pm
    • Now Doc, you know you shouldn’t try to add actual facts or truth into the mix. It only confuses the liberals, and makes them even more whiny!! 😉

Friday, 26 June 2015, 10:00 pm
    • Doc, I appreciate all the facts you injected into this discussion. The problem with facts however, is most people don’t want to know the facts because it goes against their own agenda. Thank you for your input. I myself became even more enlightened because of it.

Monday, 29 June 2015, 9:17 am
  • I say nobody show up to protest her and let her be an idiot! She is only looking for recognition, so why give it to her? Stay away from the court house and let her have her soapbox. Show her and her followers that we do not care what her and her little organization thinks.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:52 pm
  • IF YOU MUST BURN OUR FLAG PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF IN IT FIRST.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:52 pm
  • Why don’t we all meet there at about 10:30 in the morning & stand arm to arm don’t let this trash get through.

If they want a war lets give it to them.

Because this is part of our history & there isn’t a damn thing they can do about it.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:48 pm
    • Ya ya, I agree my white friend, let us bring this race war to a head!

It’s time for the final solution!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 6:32 pm
  • LOL @Tubbs. I doubt an Italian is going to care if you burn a koran. Now, maybe if you burn a Bible perhaps.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:45 pm
  • Assuming that’s her in the picture, I don’t think she is of “Arab” descent. Her last name sounds like her or her husband is of Native American/Spanish descent, I don’t think burning the Koran will bother her at all. The article says she leads a Tampa Bay AREA activist group….Brooksville falling into the “Tampa Bay Area”

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:44 pm
  • So sad! Just keep fanning the flames! Haters from BOTH sides just can’t let the embers die!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:44 pm
  • This so called lady needs to stay in Tampa and not bring this Bull Sh*t here. Arrest her ass looks like attempted arson of the Hernando County Courthouse.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:26 pm
  • If she thinks she’s going to burn the Confederate flag on the steps of our County building, that’s fine with me.
    As soon as she gets done, since it sounds like she is some sort of Arab or from a middle eastern country and / or descent, I will be burning my English version of the Koran that I have read and tried to make sense of, on the steps as well.

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:23 pm
  • HERE WE GO………..

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:17 pm
  • Hernando County residents??? I spent 22 1/2 serving to give “them” to do this but I do not it like. I am not southern born and my Great Grandfather served with the 1st Delaware Vol during the Civil War. I think Southerns have the right to be proud and their horner their past!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 4:08 pm
    • Thanks for your service! Old Glory will be next! Srecy Louie has already called to take it down! The American people better wake up and stop letting “the tail wag the dog”!

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:24 pm
      • Screwy Louie Farrakhan: ‘We Need To Put The American Flag Down’

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:27 pm
    • Thank You to your great grandfather, I think this entire “burn the Confederate Flag” crap is way out of hand. Next they’ll tell me I can’t fly my Italian flag…………..(OH, I’m NOT southern born and bred and I still think this entire ordeal is rediculous !!!!)

Friday, 26 June 2015, 5:53 pm
    • They can honor their past with a tattoo, t shirt, hat or hanging the flag on their trailer home and busted up truck. It’s a flag from a lost war. It’s didn’t earn the right to be flown over State or government buildings. It is literally a flag of a different country that didn’t fight hard enough to with the privilege to fly it anywhere officially. Take that old rag down and use it to wash your truck.

Sunday, 28 June 2015, 10:07 am