Former HCSO Detention Deputy Charged with Weapons Offense and Stealing Ammunition

SPRING HILL – A former Hernando County Detention Deputy is behind bars today, after an incident at his home on Marble Ave led to charges of Aggravated Assault with a Firearm and Grand Theft.

According to officials, deputies responded to the Hernando County Jail where they met with the alleged victim, the suspects wife, outside. The victim claims that she recently moved out of their residence on Marble Ave, due to her husband not taking his PTSD medication. The victim says she returned to the residence last night to retrieve some belongings and that’s when her husband, Rene Roman threatened her with a handgun, specifically a Kel Tech P32. The victim fled the residence and deputies responded to investigate the incident.

During the interrogation, Roman first claimed he never saw his wife or displayed a handgun, but later changed his story and stated that he indeed saw his wife but only placed the handgun in his pocket.

Deputies found probable cause to arrest Roman for Aggravated Assault, but the story doesn’t end there.

When deputies returned to the suspect’s residence to retrieve the handgun, they also located several boxes of ammunition, a Streamlight, and 4 magazines worth nearly $1,000. Upon further investigation it was determined that Roman stole the items while he was employed as a Hernando County Detention Deputy. Roman was subsequently charged with Grand Theft.

Officials say Roman resigned from the Sheriff’s Office in August of 2016.

Roman is currently held on $7,000 bond at the Hernando County Jail.

Editor’s Note: Coincidently, RNRF published an article this morning regarding transparency issues with the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office (CLICK HERE TO VIEW ARTICLE).

There is speculation that Sheriff Al Nienhuis is preparing to encrypt radio traffic, so that the average citizen and media are kept in the dark. The story above demonstrates the need for public safety channels to remain accessible, especially to the media, because this story would have gone unnoticed and unpublished if RNRF had not picked up the incident via scanner traffic.

It should also be noted that HCSO does not publish mugshots of former Deputies or their relatives.

Comments
  • Wow had something very similar happen to me and had a 100,000 bond, ended up with over 10 years probation and 2 felonies. No priors. That blue shield sure must be cozy.

Wednesday, 23 May 2018, 9:12 pm
  • MAG88, what in the frick dude or dudet, what in the frick did you put in your freaking Cheerios today please tell me you’re kidding about this whole thing please tell me you actually do know how to spell what the hell kind of gibberish are you spoon here as someone else commented you’re trying to get noticed or make some noise we all get you we see your comments please tell me you’re kidding that you’ve been pulled over 38 times in the year I’ve never heard of any such b******* in my life and if it is true because they know you so well that you refuse to wear your seatbelt then you get what you need and deserve please if you comment again try to make some gosh darn sense cuz I don’t know what the hell that all was that I just read if you don’t wear a seatbelt by the way you’re a dumbass good day!!!!

Saturday, 19 May 2018, 11:59 am
  • Mag88, not being rude, but before u start your car, put your seat belt on, problem solved.If they still stop u for something you will at least have ur seat belt on. Hopes this helps.

Friday, 18 May 2018, 11:19 am
  • Hay Tom I havea harresment story for you !pkease help me ! They pulled me over 38 times in a year and a half!its cost me everything !almost my fam!and they are still doing it! I don’t know what to do ! I can’t take it anymore!

Friday, 18 May 2018, 9:03 am
    • What is a fam?

Monday, 21 May 2018, 5:10 am
  • Half of them don’t even know what the hell there doing !seatbelt police !het were the seatbelt police that’s what we do we are here to wright tickets for low class people like you !were hernando county seatbelt police and then we with you cause we’re ctooked scumbags !

Friday, 18 May 2018, 8:56 am
  • They are all crooked !they target the Lowe class !!!!! I’m done with this county and these assholes!!!i just left my home to go to work and I just put seatbelt on and they decide dead to get behind me and pull me over !!! Another seatbelt ticket !thats all they know how to do !!!!! And there all immature !they think there god !!! I hate theses jerks!!!!this county is so screwed up!!

Friday, 18 May 2018, 8:50 am
    • Listen sister your TRYING to be heard that’s ok but when you mess with the HCSO they will eat you up so let me tell you from someone with experience wear your seatbelt and forget about them you will not win and maybe get hit with a felony, so again forget about it before you do some time. And if you are ticketed that many times and you keep doing it your on your way to do some time in jail time, get help too

Friday, 18 May 2018, 9:21 pm
    • First of all, you write like you are tripping on acid. Second, it all that BS you are spewing is True, then go buy a vehicle camera, turn it to face rearward to see You and the rear window. That way, if you are actually belted up and get pulled over, you have it all on camera. Problem Solved….you now actual evidence to present to the courts.

Saturday, 19 May 2018, 7:38 am
  • The scanner part is that everyone is going encrypted.. FHP already has. It’s all part of the 911 stuff.

Some counties have switched. It’s all about money now. New radios in car and office. Portable radios etc.

So stay calm people.

Friday, 18 May 2018, 2:13 am
  • I am a strong 2nd Amendment supporter, however, I have to scratch my head and wonder how someone with PTSD is able to get a firearm. Isn’t PTSD a mental illness?

Friday, 18 May 2018, 12:31 am
  • hes former who cares what he used to do

Thursday, 17 May 2018, 9:35 pm
    • Once again Special Treatment- will not post pic of mugshot , An I’m sure that’s a very low bail for the various charges, – I bet if’n Joe Citizen threaten’s someone with a Handgun it’s a different story

Friday, 18 May 2018, 10:51 am
  • Mmmm, how is this aggravated assault? The defense a will say her story is heresay, no witnesses. No proof other than her story. Not saying he is innocent however, I don’t see how he was arrested on that. As far as the stolen stuff, well that certainly puts him behind bars.

Thursday, 17 May 2018, 7:22 pm
  • if this stuff is missing and not properly inventoried and went through a chain of custody what else goes missing and what else happens? Any one remember the brooksville pd evidence room how it would mysteriously have everything from large sums of money drugs and weapons just vanish with out an explanation or trace and the brooksville pd said they would investigate themselves..lol Finally seeing these guys that tarnish the badge getting locked up to some extent. Shame for the officers that uphold the law. It just takes one bad apple to make the entire barrel look bad..

Thursday, 17 May 2018, 7:19 pm
  • Sheriff al can not be trusted. How he remains in office is a big mystery. Wake up Fernando county and vote wisely.

Thursday, 17 May 2018, 4:42 pm
  • Another fine example of Hernando County’s upstanding law enforcement representation.

Thursday, 17 May 2018, 4:02 pm
  • Good job Tom reporting on the scanner story,Im happy there’s still people like yourself not afraid to speak the truth.

Thursday, 17 May 2018, 4:01 pm
    • I will let my 7 yr old decode it in one day. They use their own personal phones anyhow so big deal. In citrus county jail they act like they are singing while they threaten the the inmates and on tape they just think the guards are singing plus the have the computer with their own codes so the Sargent can’t find out and they take it off real fast not to get caught.

Friday, 18 May 2018, 9:33 pm