Gun Shop Owner Says He’s a “Champion” for Hernando

HERNANDO – With a name like Champion, who wouldn’t take a shot at running for political office? That’s exactly what Steve Champion decided to do, when he officially threw his hat into the ring Friday, for a shot at the District 5 County Commissioner Seat.

You may remember Champion from story we ran back in March, highlighting the Gun Shop/Pawn Store squabble with SunTrust Bank, after they closed his account because he sold firearms. Champion was among several other business owners around the country, who made national headlines over the controversy. ORIGINAL STORY

Now, with the hullabaloo far behind him, Champion as decided to focus his energy on solving the County’s problems by becoming part of the solution.

The former Target Executive of 23-years says he has experience managing multi-million dollar corporations and he’s not afraid to tell special interest groups “You know it’s NOT okay to mess with businesses…”

Champion says “I’m not a politician… My family has been here for five generations. My invested interest is to make Hernando better through conservative values.”

Champion will be running against Seasoned Republican David Russell, who after walking away from politics last year, has decided to run again.

I asked Champion who he would compare his values to if the choices were Donald Trump or Jeb Bush; he said “I’m definitely not a Jeb Bush… I’m fan of Trump bringing out the issues and talking about them, but I wouldn’t be as abrupt…”

The primary election will be held on August 30th 2016, followed by the General Election on November 8th.

champ 3 champ 4 champ1

Champ 2

Comments
  • Hello Everyone… Steve Champion here.. I came across these comments today and wanted to address some of the statements. First I resigned/retired early from Target after 23 years to realize my dream of opening my own business. I was very successful at Target and trust me they didn’t want me to leave. Over the years I had several disgruntled team members which I’m sure it’s one of them that commented above. I’m happily married with five children, trust me no chasing unless its my 4 year old:). I have an open door and I am willing to talk with anyone.. Just call or come by my business.

Tuesday, 19 January 2016, 5:49 pm
  • Been dealing with Steve for over a year and he is honest and above fair and have never seen him be disrespectful to ANYONE as far as the derogatory comments you must consider the source ! And as far as his employment with target he was there for 23yrs and that speaks for itself and again look carefully at those derogatory posts they can’t even use PROPER ENGLISH. !!!!!

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 6:43 pm
  • Wow, maybe I had better do some research , said I would vote 4 him after Becky post, maybe/probably not. Do u know if was fired from target and for what? Any info would be great, gosh doesn’t look like we have any good choices???? I do vote and won’t be voting for the other one that doesn’t remember much. What the heck is wrong with these men,? I know don’t tell me,thanks.

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 2:38 pm
  • Having worked with Mr. Champion at Target, I found him to be arrogant and full of himself. He looked down on the people that worked for him. Not to mention he will chase anything in a skirt! Especially attracted to young women. Will not have my vote!

Thursday, 24 September 2015, 11:19 am
  • 34601 you belong in 34607, and simple mind it’s what this county needs. When good olé boys ran the county people like John Rice made decisions in the people’s best interests.

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 4:19 pm
  • It was stated that his family has been here for 5 generations…..I think he would qualify as a “good Ole Boy “

Wednesday, 23 September 2015, 9:46 am
  • Someone ask him about why he was fired from Target…

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 8:33 pm
  • Use your vote. Don’t vote for an incumbent…ever.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 6:50 pm
  • You can’t elect Steve without some expensive renovations to the commission chambers, He is so full of himself now, there is NO way his head will fit through the doorways if he should win.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 4:40 pm
  • If your looking for a change, checkout Joseph Swilley for district 1 county commissioner. This is an honest person whose running against Nick N.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 7:07 am
    • AMEN! Joe is one heck of a good honest hardworking man! He will represent the people and work to stop all the silly spending and the crony crap we have now! He has my vote as well as my wife’s!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 10:38 am
  • Steve is over qualified for a county commission seat. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to finally have a business leader such as Steve in office, not a Russell again. If you have ever had a business deal with Russell pools, you’ll understand…………………….Once elected Steve, leave the hookers and druggies alone.

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 5:35 am
  • Have done business with him, great guy!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 5:29 am
  • Got my vote we need young blood in the county not all this old sh,,

Monday, 21 September 2015, 10:47 pm
  • if Mr. Champion is running for district #5, why do people in districts 1,2. 3, and 4 get to vote for him? There are no districts in Hernando county! WHY THE LIES?? lets let district 5 vote for who THEY want.

iwantsinglemember.com

Monday, 21 September 2015, 9:33 pm
  • Amen! Time to CLEAN house completely of the old political hacks running the county. From Nick N. (who should resign immediately) to Dukes, Ms Diane, Adkins and Holcomb who is useless. ALL OUT!
    I would work hard to get Mr. Champion elected to represent the real people of the county. He knows what it is like to be pushed around and screwed by big government with his ownership of the small gun shop.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 8:44 pm
  • good ol corrupt boy. no thanks!!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 8:41 pm
  • Steve is great. GOOD MAN

Monday, 21 September 2015, 7:29 pm
  • Champion says “I’m not a politician. Good deal we don’t need any more politicians .. We need business men to fix the mess the politicians made. Hernando needs a champion…

Monday, 21 September 2015, 6:43 pm
  • I went to school and was friends with his dad Steve years ago, and I’ve met and talked to this Steve several times over the past year. To me he seems very level-headed, and sounds like he has some great ideas and thoughts on what will improve the county. I’d vote for him in a heartbeat!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 6:39 pm
  • You got our vote Champion!,?

Monday, 21 September 2015, 6:37 pm
  • Hmmmmm I wonder what kind of pet projects they have earmarked for the 2.5 million surplus…..

Monday, 21 September 2015, 6:26 pm
  • Too bad there can’t be an emergency eviction tomorrow of the a** clowns we have!!! We NEED some new blood! Hope everyone attends the kangaroo court meeting tomorrow!!! Maybe we can get some more sidewalks to nowhere or maybe higher taxes so the a** clowns can approve some pet projects.

Monday, 21 September 2015, 6:21 pm
  • Although Russell is a fair man, it’s time for some new blood!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 6:13 pm
  • NOT one of the “good old boys”………..works for me!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 6:00 pm
  • That’s a fact Sam

Monday, 21 September 2015, 5:55 pm
  • Sound worth taking a good look at! He has got to be better than the bozos we have in office now!

Monday, 21 September 2015, 5:38 pm