Habitual Drunk Driver Busted Again, After Repeatedly Bumping Car

SPRING HILL – While on routine patrol Wednesday, Trooper Brandon Hoaglan was dispatched to a traffic accident at the intersection of Osowaw Blvd and U.S. 19.

According to an arrest affidavit, Trooper Hoaglan arrived at the scene and located two vehicles parked behind the AT&T Mobile Phone Store. Trooper Hoaglan observed the driver of a Dodge Caravan, 41-year-old Jason Arthur Nelson, swaying back and forth and appeared to be intoxicated.

Trooper Hoaglan spoke with Sheriff’s Deputy, Lance Origon, who was first on the scene, and he said Nelson’s van was up against the rear of the victim’s Kia Sportage, when he arrived.

According to the victim, Dawn Collins, while she was waiting for the light to turn green at the intersection, when Nelson began bumping her vehicle from behind. Collins says she looked in the mirror and noticed Nelson laughing while he continuously collided with the rear of her vehicle. When she noticed Nelson trying to leave the scene, she refused to move her vehicle, blocking him until law enforcement could arrive.

There was no damage to Collins car, because the spare tire attached to the rear of her vehicle absorbed the impact. Nelson’s Caravan had obvious damage to the hood of the vehicle

During the investigation, Trooper Hoaglan observed Nelson to have slurred speech, blood shot eyes and even urinated himself during the interview. Nelson refused to participate in field sobriety exercises and was subsequently arrested for Driving Under the Influence.

During the booking process, Nelson refused to submit a breath test.

Nelson is charged with DUI (4th offense), Refusal to Submit DUI Test, DUI with Property Damage, Aggravated Battery with a Deadly Weapon, and Driving on a Suspended License.

Nelson is currently free on $17,000 bond.

Nelson

Comments
  • Ironic since Trooper Brandon Hoaglan is a habitual drunk driver himself, who has totaled 2 cars drunk and walked away.

Tuesday, 23 June 2015, 3:16 pm
  • Response to a Real News Real Fast article re multiple DUI driver involved in another accident…. EarthOrphan (SD West) 4/11/15

DUI …. Don’t Underestimate Ignorance / DUI …. Don’t Understand Insanity …..

Gosh! Obviously, in cases such as this, the law DOES have the welfare and best interests of the victims at heart. It offers them the opportunity to pursue criminal charges. Unfortunately, sometimes there’s a “ho-hum” attitude at the State Attorneys office which could shoot that hope to smithereens! Many of us have seen, or perhaps experienced this “it ain’t worth our time” response. I don’t claim to know the inner/outer thought processes of our elected officials who wield power and pass judgment over We The People. If the case is bounced down the steps of the hallowed halls, a private attorney can be hired and civil suit filed. If that isn’t gonna work out, they, the already victimized, can represent themselves (Oh no! Fill in the “fool for an attorney” quote here _____), OR, they can drop the case. Hmmm. Let’s give them a chance here and get creative, shall we? While they await their day in court and the possibility of justice, the distraught victims could take out a second mortgage on their homes, move back in with parents, sell their cars, take their kids out of private school and over-breed their pedigreed dog to get some quick cash. As a casual spectator on the sidelines, it sometimes appears (to me) as though no matter how big the pile of overwhelming evidence, photos, eye witnesses, proof of injuries and copies of medical bills victims produce, they are required to provide even MORE stuff to fulfill their “burden of proof” requirements.

In the meantime, due to that inconvenient hurdle, it seems (to me) the “alleged bad guy”, doesn’t have to mount much of a defense until the first piece of paper is floated and the ever important semantics are decided upon. In essence, they don’t even have to do many back flips or bending over backwards (oh, wait…. is that archaic activity still in practice? Oh, wait. It’s the VICTIMS who have to bend over!). They ( alleged bad guys) get meals and munchies, a roof over their heads and a bed, albeit, the confinement aspect can be a bummer. (Oh, wait…. is that archaic activity still in practice?). I suppose it’s an automatic option to be assigned a public defender. But hey! There’s more! Said prisoners can also hire a private attorney or (drum roll please) they can choose to defend themselves! (Fumble, fumble, snicker, snicker, heeheehee) thus setting the stage for appeals, motions for continuance (AKA, going back to square 1) while claiming “incompetent representation”, or some similar thingy.

But I digress…… Back to the excruciating saga of the now “alleged victim”. Oh, wait. That’s where we started……

DISCLAIMER: I do not claim to be an attorney- because I’m not. I do not claim to have any info that would give me any more insight into this case than any of you guys would have- because I don’t. I do not claim to know any of the persons involved in, or who are in any way connected to this case- because I don’t. HOWEVER: I do claim to know and understand some of the legal terminology and procedure – on a very limited basis – but just enough to “get it”, as do many of you. I do admit that while there are always two sides to every story, it’s pretty darn obvious what the scoop is here and most people with any modicum of common sense can see that and be outraged. We all can be victims of such lunatics at any moment. God forbid.
    LAST BUT NOT LEAST: I am NOT in any way, categorizing ANY law enforcement representatives, attorneys, or members of the State Attorneys office, et al, with my satirical, yet kinda, sorta, true commentaries. If anyone has been offended by anything I have written, I apologize. Sorta. I am just exercising my 1st Amendment Rights while I still can.

P.S. – Sorry about the length of my “book” but sometimes when I get going, I can’t shut up!

Saturday, 11 April 2015, 2:17 pm
  • sorry to say but if there’s nothing in it for Rick Scott or Pam Bondi they don’t want to know about it

Friday, 10 April 2015, 8:25 pm
  • These are all valid questions, but being angry at HCSO or the courts will not solve the problem. Send your concerns to the governor’s office or Pam Bondi. Someone who can make the changes.

Friday, 10 April 2015, 5:12 pm
  • The hero here is Ms. Collins who prevented the drunk pisser from going on through the intersection with his vehicle to kill someone.Very brave and quick thinking.

Friday, 10 April 2015, 2:54 pm
  • 4 time loser, This type of trash needs to be taken for a ride and disposed of, Problem Solved.

Friday, 10 April 2015, 1:18 pm
  • While I agree this man needs jail time, I disagree that a habitual drunk can’t change, and I definitely disagree on having the right to shoot someone under this circumstance, in fact, I find that mind set frightening! Don’t misunderstood, I in no way defend the actions of this drunk, but I just don’t believe they are actions worthy of death. He needs off the roads, but not like that!

Friday, 10 April 2015, 11:41 am
    • Marie ,it very apparent you didn’t read the charges. he was charged with assault with a deadly weapon. he kept ramming her car. he could of cased severe injury. so my question is,cause he was charge with assault with a deadly weapon…..would someone in that situation ,be in their rights to defend themselves, with deadly force. heck yes IMHO,

he is going to kill someone eventually, I guarantee ,he was driving today and under the influence.

Friday, 10 April 2015, 8:45 pm
  • nice not only do they keep letting him go free – he is out again after his 4th DUI!! What type of justice system do we have? Is that judge going to take responsibility when he does finally kill someone?

Friday, 10 April 2015, 9:43 am
  • WHY is this man still free to roam the streets? 4 DUI’s – REALLY????

Friday, 10 April 2015, 9:31 am
  • After the 2nd, DUI offenders should get longer and longer jail stays. And no bonds. Immediate detox center. Until u work in that system…you really have no idea just how many repeat offenders there are. Its truly disgusting.

Friday, 10 April 2015, 9:08 am
  • Wow, florida laws are just so not up to date, This guy should be put in jail, no bail if it is his true 4th offense. I just don’t get it, I know in Massachusetts you get caught you go right to Jail and serve 1 year, no good time applied. BT W, I don’t drink but know alot about the laws and court system.

Friday, 10 April 2015, 8:05 am
  • the man peed himself you got to be kidding,throw the book at this bum, keep him off the streets.what is it going to take ,does he have to kill someone first.

Friday, 10 April 2015, 7:07 am
  • I agree Nunya, but it wont. the justice system is a cash cow.

they get taxes and grants, fines and fees. making things harder on repeat criminals ,is just plain bad business.

any justice handed out is a smoke screen , just enough to make them look like they are making a dent and not to much or they can’t collect taxes and grants.

A victim of a crime only has the right to be victimized over and over again ,by the system.

The justice system IMHO , is just another form of organized crime. We the taxpayers ,the victims.

habitual offenders like this ,will never learn.

which leaves the question, one charge was assault with a deadly weapon!

would the victim ,be in their right. to get out the car and blow this guys head off?

I’d say yes

Friday, 10 April 2015, 1:00 am
  • I agree Nunya, but it wont. the justice system is a cash cow.

a POS like this has no absolute consideration of anyone else,

leaves me with this question. one of the charges ,was assault with a deadly weapon!
    would the victim been in their rights, to get out the car and blow the POS’s head off?

I say yes.

time for everyone to get front rear and side cameras , so if this happens to you can defend yourself with deadly force

Friday, 10 April 2015, 12:52 am
  • FREE?!!!! Are you kidding me!!??!! Eventually this POS is going to KILL SOMEONE!!!! Our justice system needs to change RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

Friday, 10 April 2015, 12:01 am
  • I agree, 4th dui, out already? WTF?

I know innocent until… but geez, this guy is a menace!

You’d think the agg bat would at least entail some kinda hold!

Thursday, 9 April 2015, 11:45 pm
  • free on bond wtf! so he can go drive drunk and get a 5th dui way to go justice system!

Thursday, 9 April 2015, 11:07 pm
  • Throw the book already…. You waiting for him to kill someone???

Thursday, 9 April 2015, 10:26 pm
  • OMFG!! Drunk a-hole!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, 9 April 2015, 10:17 pm