Has “Flakka” Invaded Hernando County – Facts You Should Know

HERNANDO – Before his untimely death in 2004, singer, songwriter Rick James gained notoriety on the hit comedy series, Chappell’s Show, with the phrase “Cocaine is a Helluva Drug.” If James was still around, I wonder what he would say about a new, more powerful designer drug called “Flakka.”

Flakka made its debut in South Florida a few years ago, and the affects, some say, surpass that of Cocaine, crack, Heroin, and Methamphetamine combined.

According to the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc. (NCADD) Flakka is basically a tweaked version of bath salts, which contains a substance known as alpha-Pyrrolidinopentiophenone (Alpha-PVP).

Flakka can be swallowed, snorted, smoked, or injected and causes the user to experience vivid hallucinations and extreme euphoria.

In some cases, the body’s temperature can rise as high as 106 degrees, causing the user to remove all their clothes and run through the streets in a violent tirade.

In Broward County alone there have been at least 16 reported fatalities associated with the drug and the number of criminal cases continues to climb.

RNRF received numerous requests from concerned viewers, wanting to know if Flakka has come to Hernando County.

We asked Denise Moloney with the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office if the Vice and Narcotics Unit had dealt with Flakka cases in our community. Moloney said “We haven’t any cases.”

flakka_00000

Comments
  • Josh IT could be worse…you could be an SPRING HILL talker…how du u no itz ah bad drug peepole gut crazzee on asperan sew dont sey nutin…lol..

Monday, 31 August 2015, 7:21 am
  • Well guess what, you’re the fool that started the foolish game in the first please. Cant take it dont dish it…masked advocate, its a shame your kind ruin it for everyone…sure blame it on autocorret and didn’t think you was actually that old to know mork and mindy lol…peace to all…maybe 13

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 11:03 pm
  • Orsen you can say what you please it’s no bother your still an illiterate douche, but this is kind of entertaining so here we go…..So sorry about the name error but my autocorrect automatically interjected the error. I’d like to think it was trying to fix stupid but we all know that’s not possible. Speaking of names wasn’t Orsen the guy Mork from Ork used to report to? Anyway I’m ending this fun for now, but I’ll be back when dingle berry speaks out ignorantly again?

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 9:12 pm
  • Go Donald Trump!!!!!! and f**k all of you

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 5:12 pm
  • Look at the ignorant Internet gansters I would love to see some walker and wheelchair fights get it boys, good info Tom but cant be stopped as soon as they do they will change the chemical compounds a tiny bit to skirt laws FACT! you all can beat up on my grammar now, HaVve a blessed day JAH RASTAFARI

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 2:34 pm
  • Lol and you gave me a hard time and can’t even spell ORSEN correctly…you make me laugh…that’s some funny stuff masked man…im not afraid for any to come to me if they have a beef…i welcome it…only thugs, bank robbers, and terrorist hide like that my friend so which one are you…I’m actually afraid to ask

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 1:47 pm
  • Thats funny masked advocate but when you want to talk to me pull the mask off and talk to me…stop being a sissy and take the mask off, Because i don’t like talking to little boys hiding behind a bush

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 1:39 pm
  • I know it has reached Pasco county so I don’t think it’ll be to much longer before it makes itself known to Hernando county.

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 12:25 pm
  • Lol cowboys and red neck, I’ve not seen one sense the late 70’s nor do the wannabes know the meaning of the term cowboys and Indians. I’ve lost respect, there’s no honor in anything these days. Guess what people there is no “I” in ( TEAM WORK ) or did i misspell it. Im sure someone will correct me. Anyway hope all has a safe and blessed day in all this madness

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 8:35 am
  • The great thing about this venue is that one can engage in conversation and remain “masked”. It helps when trying to avoid crazed illiterate f…tards from showing up my at my house. Osen you don’t disappoint, I could have guessed you for a cat owner!

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 6:35 am
  • Lol next you’ll bring my cat into it and correct them for meowing un correctly huh…that’s alright he knows he stutters and it doesn’t bother him

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 8:12 pm
  • Wow masked advocate at least i show my face…do you hide your face when standing up for right..think not…and thank you seeing i wasn’t politically correct and i will correct that for you masked advocate

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 8:07 pm
  • Its here already but you are dealing with a lot of cowboys in HCSO. They tell you what they want you to know and they have no problem fabricating “the truth”.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 7:30 pm
  • Wow so not sure who to address first so I’ll start with “Mr. Tom”. Was unaware that people actually requested info on all the new illicit drugs available and for that I give a most humble appology. Kudos for those of you seeking the knowledge to keep yourselves safe. As for Orson I see literacy is no friend of yours. I can say my head is not in the sand nor up my a… What I can say is that I don’t live in FEAR for myself or my loved ones, and I have the necessary “home protection” and will use it as the situation warrants. People can and should express opinions openly especially in an awesome public forum like this provided by “Mr. Tom” just wasn’t expecting the onslaught of verbal abuse….lesson learned.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 6:57 pm
  • With all the information out there regarding what these drugs will do to you and if people still ignore the facts and take these drugs anyway just to get a high and they die doing it they have no one else to blame but themselves and these are the same people that will then get behind the wheel of a vehicle and kill someone. I have zero symphony for drug abusers, Let them all overdose and be done with it.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 4:32 pm
  • THANK YOU for the heads up on this chittttttttt !!!!!!!

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 3:30 pm
  • How about The drug Molly that makes people absolutely crazy. That’s a drug worth looking into as I have known various kids that have done or are using that drug. There’s an apparent drug house on *********** where these kids are getting the drug. It’s disgusting that Hernando county has turned into methville.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 2:58 pm
  • @charliestrayhorn you are right and that is awesome. I wonder how many people on here can say that.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 1:28 pm
  • What is wrong with people. What on earth would make someone take a drug like that. I hate drug addicts. Don’t jump on me for saying that because you were NOT an addict before you took a drug of your own free will. Your addiction started with a poor personal choice .I had an alcoholic father and dope smoking mother and I made a conscious decision to not be like them because I saw what it did to our family. I don’t smoke or drink and never will. FREE WILL.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 11:55 am
    • darn right,but as much as i hate users i hate dealers even more;if i were president,there would be a real war on drugs 😉

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 3:12 pm
      • Charlie, Adam:
        Hate burns your soul. Compassion and forgiveness sets you free. The key is understanding. Sure, you don’t like their actions, but are you free of undesirable thoughts/feelings/behavior in your own life? Show me a man who is . . .

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 6:29 am
  • Bravo 38 special you have my vote…when i heard about it i started posting and ask for mr tom lemon to check into and was happy to see the report on this crap. Im proud to see others being concerned. Spread the word

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 11:43 am
  • To all of you posting negative comments concerning this report: This problem WILL eventually be more common in Hernando County, along with anywhere else it hasn’t become the drug of choice YET. If you choose to stay un-informed about the problems in your community, then you’re part of the problem! Wait until one of these out-of-control, jacked-up freaks runs over the top of you like a freight train. I dealt with people like this for 25 years, and you can believe this; They’re not all locked away in jail or prison. When they get on this stuff, and a lot of the other drugs out there, ALL the rules go out the window, and it can get real scary real fast. Or you can just keep your head buried in the sand and hope it goes away. Be grateful that there is someone reporting this stuff, hopefully it will make you more informed, and more prepared.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 11:13 am
  • Yes danger dave take care of them kids, ive been posting on this drug for weeks and so happy to see that report because i didn’t think anyone heard me. Everyone to busy ragging on each other to pay attention and see what is happening

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 11:09 am
  • Well let me just to you advocate take you head out of your [email protected]# and i seen a lady walk down the street here in Hudson a month ago and i thought she was jyst nuts and now u believe the lady was on flakka so you keep believing what you want and when it’s in your home don’t cry about fool…sorry mr tom had to say something

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 11:05 am
  • @the advocate, you can go bury your head in the sand if you want too…as a man with three kids I appreciate the heads up on a drug I had no idea existed. Thanks to Tom for bringing this to my attention.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 11:04 am
  • This article seems to be covering for a really slow news day. Why would you give these dirtbag users in this area any new ideas. Love the alarmist headline..

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 10:04 am
    • @Rich – If you don’t like Tom’s reports then
      STOP READING THEM!!!

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 12:08 am
  • TRUSTTTT ME it’s here just because the sheriffs office hasn’t “experienced” anyyyy cases doesn’t mean it’s not here

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 10:00 am
    • Mike – I agree with you! Just because HCSO
      hasn’t had any cases YET, does NOT mean
      it is not in our county at this very moment!!!

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 12:05 am
  • The druggies and dealer need to be run out of Hernando on a rail or better yet in body bags!

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 9:36 am
  • We have some responsibility to not report things that are not news worthy. It’s probably not in the best interest of our community to mention new and trendy drugs that will no doubt surface here on their own. Tom, l like your site and it serves a good purpose, but maybe a little more discretion when it comes to this kind of crap!

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 6:44 am
      • I agree with you, Tom, the public needs to know,
        especially parents who still have kids living at home!
        Parents will be able to recognize what it looks like if
        they ever see it in their kids room, otherwise they
        might think it’s just rock salt or bath salts!!

Thursday, 27 August 2015, 12:01 am
  • Back when I did that crazy s**t dealers tried to pass it off as meth and or molly . Wasted life and money.

Wednesday, 26 August 2015, 12:06 am
  • Just what Hernando County needs, more drugs.

Tuesday, 25 August 2015, 9:17 pm
  • Interesting and informative. Good job Tom. Love Dave Chappell so funny nice intro on this topic.

Tuesday, 25 August 2015, 8:48 pm
  • Thank the lord it hasn’t reached Hernando, keep it out!

Tuesday, 25 August 2015, 8:45 pm
  • Thank you mr tom…we all need to keep a close eye on this one…its a shame what’s going on with this drug…everyone take a look at this evil

Tuesday, 25 August 2015, 8:28 pm