Head-on Collision Claims Life of Aripeka man

HUDSON (PASCO) – A two vehicle crash claimed the life of an Aripeka man yesterday at the intersection of U.S. 19 and Houston Ave.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, 56-year-old Eleanor Nugent was traveling southbound on U.S. 19, when she lost control of her 2011 Dodge Dakota and crossed the median into oncoming traffic. At the same time, 36-year-old Michael Hohimer was driving northbound in his 2003 Toyota Corolla, when Nugent’s truck collided head on with his vehicle. Hohimer was pronounced deceased at the scene.

Nugent sustained minor injuries in the crash and was transported to Bayonet Point Hospital for treatment. Officials say charges are pending.

10621867_10153376298336902_1974719547_n

chris

Comments
  • And go ahead and correct my spelling. It is the keypad on my tablet.

Sunday, 27 December 2015, 12:48 pm
  • Doug, are you Nuckin Futz??? If the state did this you would be one of the first idiots to complain. This would affect you as well. As fr as revenue, how much revenue so you really think the state would make? Man some people just don’t think, just like some of the drivers. The min cause of accidents are due to negligence. Not paying attention or speeding. Inspections have absolutely nothing to do with how one drives. Jeeeze.

Sunday, 27 December 2015, 12:46 pm
  • No Woody, just an old generation of woodpeckers. That WS a dumb a**remark. Why do you always blame the snowbirds or the northerners, when you are from the north yourself.

Sunday, 27 December 2015, 12:37 pm
  • On my way home tonight i saw 3 THREE people driving and swerving only to be on texting on the phone! jeez come on people do you want to be a statistic?

Friday, 25 December 2015, 9:39 pm
  • My thoughts are with the family. Very sad. Although Eleanor Nugent is responsible for taking Michael’s life, at what point does the county, state, courts, etc. become responsible and held accountable as well for continuing to let this irresponsible driver be on the road and given the chance to let this happen. Someone posted a comment about all of her citations for speeding and running red lights and I looked. In my opinion, with her record, she’s as guilty a drunk driver getting behind the wheel. I’m not a “sue happy” person, but I sure hope the family does go after her and the parties that continued to give her this power. I understand it will not bring Michael back, but maybe this tragedy will open someone’s eyes about this careless woman…and others like her!

Friday, 25 December 2015, 4:44 pm
  • HEY DAN HOWE
    SCREW YOU. i’M OVER 60 AND YOU WILL BE TOO SOMEDAY. MAYBE, RESPECT YOUR ELDERS. NOW IF YOU SAID 80 I WOULD AGREE WITH YOU.

Friday, 25 December 2015, 12:05 pm
  • Thank you very much for all of your thoughts and prayers, at this difficult time for my family.

Friday, 25 December 2015, 7:13 am
  • Doug… Your an idiot. Not all of us have time to be taking a driving test every year. Why should everyone else be reprimanded for the actions that led up to this accident or any accident? There are far far more human error related accidents than there are mechanical failures. Its not unheard of but its not common at all.

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 4:28 pm
  • Eleanor Nugent has 20 traffic citations in Pasco County on the Clerk’s website. Running red lights is her most common occurrance, but she’s also fond of running stop signs and not registering her vehicles.

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 3:24 pm
  • the woman has had 20 – count them, 20 – traffic citations since 1990, all out of Pasco. running a red light seems to be her forte.

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 3:22 pm
  • what do you mean, she missed you? did you witness the accident? that was my family

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 3:20 pm
  • Instead of saying we will do this and say we will do that.. how about making it manditory for car insurance companies to bring back 6 month vehicle inspections and every year retake the drivers test. That would generate revenue for the state and would also make our drivers appreciate driving. Driving is a privilege, its not a god given right. We all need to respect one another and drive safely in unsafe weather or busy road conditions. Every accident is a tragedy. Lets get better at being human beings. Love everyone, god bless and Happy Holidays.

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 8:51 am
  • Sandy K, yeah I remember those bumper stickers well. Those started out because of all the rock trucks that terrorized Hernando county back in the day. With the current traffic daily around the county now, imagine adding THAT missing element to the mix!

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 8:02 am
  • I’m disappointed in some of the comments that have been made. But why should I be suprised in today’s society!

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family that lost their loved one, it’s sad anytime of the year when one looses their life, when it happens so close to a highly celebrated Holiday, the family may associate the both together, making it that much worse for the family.

the woman who caused the accident, will also suffer emotionally for the rest of her life, knowing she killed a man, a son, a father, a husband, a loved one……she will live with that for the rest of her life.

An all around sad situation.

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 7:46 am
  • At sandy fried quit reading bumper stickers while driving.

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 6:50 am
  • My deepest sympathy goes out to the Young mans family. This sounds like a very unfortunate accident. Some of the comments especially the one from Dan, was ridiculous, “once you turn 69 in FL you should Lise license “. How old are you Dan 19 -24? Very immature comment, if your driving is anything like your thinking skills, FL is in trouble. I apologize to the family for trying to make my point to this person. Again, my sympathies.

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 6:46 am
  • I bet driving to fast for conditions.. I see it all the time driving a taxi like I do. People drive by me like I’m sitting still.

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 4:57 am
  • You have all the answers Mr. Howe, why don’t we start with you?, you can be the “perfect” driver, maybe a can learn from your sorry a$$, Maybe the law took yours away already, let me guess, never a ticket?, All talk.

Thursday, 24 December 2015, 1:27 am
  • At the time it was raining very hard. A lot of people were going over the speed limit, both north and south bound. I know because I was also in this traffic. While sitting in traffic three cars ran the red light crossing 19 onto Little Rd, my light had already turned green. Then a little after that a truck decided to drive over the medium and a few minutes latter another man in a truck turned on a wrong way turn lane. What makes people think they can disobey the law when it suits them?
    I am from D.C. We never had this many traffic fatalities as we’ve seen down here in a year. People go too fast, don’t use turn signals. And like some one else posted, too young and reckless, maybe old age has something to do with it, and out of towners. We can’t point fingers, we don’t know what happened to cause her to lose control.
    All we can do is drive safe and pray for both families. RIP.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 11:04 pm
  • Sending prayers to all involved

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 10:14 pm
  • My deepest sympathy and prayers to the family of this young man. 🙁

EVERYONE knows the rules of the road, you drive according to to the laws
    and conditions of the roads at ALL times!!
    And stop being in such a big hurry to get to the next RED LIGHT!

Does anyone remember the bumper stickers that MANY of us use to have on our bumpers?
    “PRAY FOR ME, I DRIVE ON 19” ??

This is a very good example, happens a lot on 19.
    And now it happens on all roads!

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 9:48 pm
  • I don’t think 56 is the average age for a snowbird.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 9:41 pm
  • Also, Foodforthought, if she has a conscience she will tell what happened. Not everyone is as cynical as you appear to be.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 9:26 pm
  • The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), not part of the U.S. Department of Transportation, didn’t sign-on to the NHTSA campaign. It continues to use the term ‘accident. Please educate yourself foodfor thought.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 9:23 pm
  • its a vehicle crash. not an accident. no where in court will any professionals be using the word accident as its an uncontrolled event that happens with out apparent cause. I think we can piece together there was some level of failure at some point in time. Unfortunate incident in its entirety. Some how I doubt she will give a full account of the actual series of events leading up to this mans death for multiple reasons.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 8:09 pm
  • A man lost his life, not the place for a snowbird debate

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 8:06 pm
  • Dan Howe… totally asinine statement..

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 7:29 pm
  • How bout slow down when the roads are wet. Sad the person not at fault dies.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 6:40 pm
  • [email protected] Howe SHE ( the driver) is 56!!!! Not 60, you are an idiot! Older drivers are safer than the ones with cell phones and texting, bet ya u r one of those, A young man is DEAD, show some smypathy.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 6:39 pm
  • How is it reckless driving it’s said she lost control of her truck the roads were slick!! Have you heard of hydroplane? It’s when you lose control of your vehicle and you can’t do anything about it until your vehicle gets traction again! Not saying that’s what happened to her but it happens!! No body is a perfect driver! They are called car accidents for a reason! Most of them tend to be an accident! If you’ve never been in an accident, good for you, but you could end up in one and it could be you’re fault! Don’t point your finger when you don’t know the full story! Here’s an idea how about you go to Bayonet Point Hospital and ask her what happened!

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 6:05 pm
  • Very sad, our thoughts are with the family

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 5:51 pm
  • Its not the snowbirds that are the bad drivers

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 5:15 pm
  • The reckless driving is just a symptom of our society today as a whole.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 5:00 pm
  • they need to past A LAW WHEN U TURN 60 AND OLDER THE STATE OF FLA TAKES UR LICENSES FOREVER

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 4:59 pm
    • What a stupid comment..

Friday, 23 December 2016, 11:24 am
  • My son and I were there… was a terrible sight. May he rest in peace.
    Please drive safe.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 4:51 pm
  • This is truly sad a young man lost his life for what?, I pray for his family and friends, no parent should ever have to bury a child. I don’t know what she was doing, Frankly I hope she gets what she deserves , well maybe being in Pasco county she will!! Doesn’t matter where she lives, she killed a human being.God bless this family in their time of grief.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 4:17 pm
  • Why do you only blame the snow birds, There only here for a few months of the year and auto accidents are out of control all year round, It’s so easy to point the finger at someone else, If your only looking at the accident rate over the last 2 months, Whats with all the accidents here through the rest of the year, Florida is one of the worst states for auto accidents and it’s not just about snowbirds, Just look at all the accidents that involve pickup trucks, I doubt many so called snowbirds are driving down to Florida in pickup trucks,

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 4:05 pm
  • Woody that’s a pretty bad comment when you don’t have all the facts. The only actual fact that has been reported is that a family has lost a loved one just before Christmas. We don’t know if there was a mechanical failure, weather related or human error. Think before you post.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 3:26 pm
  • I agree, I cannot figure out why in the world there are so many horrific wrecks in Pasco and Hernando counties everyday. Reckless driving, distractions……it’s horrible and scary.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 3:18 pm
  • I wasn’t too far back on 19 when this happened. It was a horrific scene !! I knew someone had died as they covered the drivers side door with a blanket …It’s very sad when something like this happens, but this time of year makes it even harder to bear. RIP and my prayers to his family.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 3:00 pm
  • Don’t know exactly when this happened, but about 1:30 this afternoon we saw a car looking somewhat like the one above traveling north in the inside south bound lanes.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 2:52 pm
  • Texting?

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 2:52 pm
  • Slower older people, younger people in a hurry and tourists that don’t know where they are going is a dangerous mix!

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 2:51 pm
  • I’m so glad she missed me…..

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 2:45 pm
  • In 30 years I have never seen such reckless driving than I have in the past two months. Do we have a new generation of snow birds?

Wednesday, 23 December 2015, 2:34 pm