Home Health Care Aide Caught Red Handed in Sting Operation

SPRING HILL – A home health care aide is charged with grand theft after an elderly couple noticed a large sum of money missing from their home.

Officials Say 38-year-old Shamelia Douglas stole a large sum of money from an elderly woman and her husband on more than one occasion.

In an effort to catch Douglas in the act, Detectives with the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office placed a large sum of money in the residence and waited outside for Douglas to exit. When she did, Detectives discovered Douglas in possession of the marked cash and she was taken into custody.

Douglas admitted to stealing money from the couple on three separate occasions, due to having “money problems.”

Douglas is charged with 2-counts of Grand Theft from a person over the age of 65 and Grand Theft from the Sheriff’s Office.

Douglas is currently held on a $22,000 bond.

Comments
  • The health care company should have to reimburse the couple for the money this POS stole from them!

Monday, 16 April 2018, 10:11 pm
  • always get it worst all the black people that read this read something different with whites in blacks blacks are always wrong even when right just like my boy drizzy his shooter bond was 3700 dollars because he was white in her because she’s black they trippled the bond so she cant gey out nasty

Sunday, 15 April 2018, 5:52 pm
    • She “ADMITTED TO STEALING FROM THEM THREE TIMES”, you IDIOT!
      And you need to go back to school so you can learn how to read, write and spell.

Monday, 16 April 2018, 8:52 pm
  • So what agency? It is not listed anywhere above…..

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 10:04 pm
    • It’s listed below in comments.
      FFC=FAMILY FRIENDS CARE

Monday, 16 April 2018, 4:57 pm
    • Families and friends

Tuesday, 17 April 2018, 4:57 am
  • No bond for that bitch i hope she loses her license i going to say drug problem but what she is she will get nothing

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 1:20 pm
  • If these elderly people have family around,they should pay some of her family a midnight visit! Eye for an eye b*tch

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 1:02 pm
  • She needs some Brazilian street justice,nothing less will do!

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 12:57 pm
  • What company did she work for and who refered her?

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 12:56 pm
    • Read comments below for the answers.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 7:30 pm
  • Animals, babies & children plus the elderly are OFF LIMITS TO YOU LOW LIFE POS leave them alone and if found guilty THEN MANDATORY LIFE IN PRISON. What walks the earth today is horrifying I stay home almost all the time my animals are all I need.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 10:28 am
  • One of the usual suspects, why am I not surprised?

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 9:39 am
  • In nature coast area (hernando, citrus, sumter, levy ) you trust NO ONE!! It’s a shame that elderly people are not treated with respect but used as cash cows. was the agency she worked for doing background checks or did this couple ever bring the matter to the agency’s attention and if so did agency investigate???? I took care of my own mother for the last years of her life and considered it an honor and privilege. When it came to her finances I documented every item because I had 2 brothers to answer to. One brother did visit often and verified every transaction and was pleased. Any question on expenditures was answered by me. I had a good friend who was hospitalized and I had keys to her house and vehicle AND HER BANK CARD AND CODE WITH ACCESS TO HER MONEY MARKET ACCOUNTS. NEVER DID IT CROSS MY MIND TO STEAL FROM HER!! Shamelia, you’ve not only ruined YOUR life but also given a bad rep to honest hard working home health aides. ONCE TRUST IS BROKEN IT CAN NEVER BE REPAIRED. The Chinese people revere their elderly, maybe we should start teaching OURSELVES AND CHILDREN to do the same – respect and revere elderly people.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 8:31 am
  • @Dagashi These people worked their entire adult lives to be able to retire at 65.
    So how would you like it if you worked YOUR entire life just to have some SCUMBAG
    like this to come STEAL YOUR MONEY FROM YOU?!
    Stealing from sick elderly people deserves an ENHANCED charge!!
    Now she will be a convicted FELON! Ha Ha Ha!
    She was also charged with 2 counts of possession of controlled drugs without a prescription.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 2:28 am
  • Sounds like the made it too easy for her to steal. They make these big heavy things called safes. Not foolproof, but makes it a lot harder for your money to be stolen. And the safe would have more than paid for itself if they lost enough money to be classified as two counts of grand theft.

Friday, 13 April 2018, 11:01 pm
    • Ohhh Lord Jim these “big heavy things called safes” are stupid the geriatric ppl can not carry a safe, can’t bend or stretch to get to them, and the remembering how to turn and remember the numbers are 100% frustratingly for these people. I take care of them FREE everyday and the safe thing is stupid. So any other great ideas?

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 10:46 am
      • I have a safe that is about a cubic foot. It opens with a key. It could be put in a bedroom closet on top of a stool for easy access. It cost less than $100. So I think most old people could manage to put their money in and out of it. The idea is to make it more difficult for the home worker to access the money. I think your comment is stupid. I was suggesting something that would clearly work for many people. I am sick of negative know it all people like YOU.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 8:50 pm
        • Jim your right! A bolted in safe is the way to go!

Sunday, 15 April 2018, 1:44 am
  • Most scum apply for those jobs to look for easy targets anyway it’s discustimg

Friday, 13 April 2018, 10:32 pm
    • Lena W, please don’t classify ALL home health aides as scum. There ARE some who are very caring and serious about their profession AND CLIENTS HEALTH (AND REHAB IF NEEDED). Sometimes these aides are like elderly peoples only “family” or contact with the outside “world”. To those SERIOUS, CARING AIDES GOD BLESS YOU.

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 8:51 am
  • SAD!!!

Friday, 13 April 2018, 9:54 pm
  • Having an enhanced charge because the victim is over 65 is stupid. Over 75 or 80 I could understand but most people retire at 65 and have their full wits about them.

Friday, 13 April 2018, 8:18 pm
    • Yea, full wits intact but the physical ability to stomp the snot out of someone who’s doing them wrong… not so much. Which is one reason sorry POS’s take advantage. Not to mention, if you read the article, this thief was a HOME HEALTH CARE AIDE. I’m no doctor but I’m thinking that might just indicate that the victim’s health was a bit compromised. Pretty sad Dagashi, to advocate for lesser charges for such a low-down act!

Friday, 13 April 2018, 11:17 pm
      • @Seriosly? Very well said.
        @Dagashi should be ashamed and should hope he/she is never in poor health to need HOME HEALTH CARE AIDES.
        This POS aide deserves to stay in jail where she belongs.
        She also goes by the name WHITTAKER, and she works for FFC, they have the very worst aides in the business.
        I can’t imagine that they do a very good background check, probably just a local background (cheaper).
        @FFC, if you are reading this you know who I am and you know I am being TRUTHFUL, so let this be a lesson to you, do THOROUGH BACKGROUNDS before you hire & more people start suing you!!
        I am so thankful that I refused to allow FFC to send this woman to my house, I had a bad feeling about her, my gut feelings have never failed me, so far!!!

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 2:08 am
        • Is that family friends Home Care?

Sunday, 15 April 2018, 5:50 pm
        • I applied there, and they do a level 2 (fingerprint and photo) background check. They told me they do local law enforcement checks every 3 months, and they checked my driver’s license. If she was never caught, her background would be fine. I think they do all they can, but unfortunately, stuff like this happens, and this isn’t the first agency to have someone steal from a client. I worked for several over the last 10 years, and they have by far, the lowest rate of crime (that I know of).

Thursday, 19 April 2018, 3:08 pm
    • Dindu Nuffin……..

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 12:44 am
    • Your 100% wrong

Saturday, 14 April 2018, 11:01 am
  • Who can elderly people trust anymore? This is sad.

Friday, 13 April 2018, 8:07 pm
  • Shame on Shamelia!

Friday, 13 April 2018, 7:13 pm
  • Stealing from the elderly…….sad

Friday, 13 April 2018, 7:12 pm
  • $22,000 Bond. Meanwhile Anthony the guy who killed a man in a drug deal, was given $3700 Bond. Great look Hernando.

Friday, 13 April 2018, 6:51 pm