Home Owner Gives Intruder 10 Seconds to Leave or Get Shot

WEEKI WACHEE – Earlier this afternoon, 911 operators received a frantic call from a woman who said an unknown man burst through the back door of her residence on Osprey Ave and refused to leave.

Amy Gorman and her husband Nick were shocked at the man’s resistance to leave, even after Nick retrieved a firearm and threatened to shoot the intruder. After ignoring several commands the man finally ran to the backyard but still wouldn’t leave. Nick said “I’ll give you 10 seconds to leave or I will shoot you!” The man jumped the fence and fled the area.

A K-9 unit arrived on the scene and located the suspect, identified as 25-year-old Joel Alec Rivera not far from the residence.

According to Amy, Deputies say the man was probably on drugs and that the incident may be related to a shooting on U.S. 19 the day before.

Amy says a vehicle was abandoned near her home the day before and that several subjects, including the one who stormed her residence, were trying retrieve the vehicle when Rivera “got spooked” and ran inside her home.

Rivera is charged with two counts of trespassing an occupied dwelling and is currently behind bars, held on a $2,000 bond.

Rivera’s previous Hernando County Record shows several charges for drug possession, resisting arrests, battery and driving under the influence.

Authorities have not released an official report at this time.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. ™2013 Real News Real Fast, Inc.

rivera Bullet michelle

Comments
  • good perspn, wrong place wrong time

Wednesday, 29 July 2015, 12:02 am
  • all settled Joel is my bud

Wednesday, 29 July 2015, 12:00 am
  • Thank you Jean!

Monday, 6 July 2015, 9:46 pm
  • Thanks again Kerry. I hope he gets his life on track too. He’s been in trouble with the law since at least age 19, so this “wrong place wrong time wrong crowd” excuse doesn’t sum up the situation. The “crowd” stayed down trying to retrieve their vehicle and didn’t break the law in any way. The “crowd” also didn’t tell him to jump my fence, come smashing through my back door and stand in my house refusing to leave. He certainly wasn’t “just trying to help his friend start their car” If he was he wouldn’t have ended up in my house. The car was in my neighborhood, but it was not on my street or anywhere near my back door that he came through. He had to run down 2 streets, through the woods and jump my fence to end up at my back door. Then after getting him out of our house he went and hid in our neighbors shed. What part of any of that had to do with helping his friends start a car? None of what his friend says justifies what happened that day. I relive that day over and over. I hope him and his family never have to experience the fear of having a TOTAL STRANGER come running into his home and refusing to leave for over 5 minutes. To have someone you don’t know invade your home like that was terrifying to say the least. If he really needed help he could have come to my front door and asked me for help and I would have helped him. Instead he jumps a fence and came into my home, wouldn’t leave and wouldn’t even speak. The police and media did not turn this into anything bigger than it was. Should I not have called 911? Because that’s ALL I did. Neither myself or my husband acted like we deserved an award for using our gun to DEFEND ourselves. In fact the only thing I did have to explain to people making comments was why we DIDN’T shoot him! Looks like the only thing he did right that day was come into a home with people with enough compassion to not shoot him. Had he gone into any one of my neighbors homes, or most of the people commenting here and on Facebook he wouldn’t have been so lucky. There is always someone who will defend someone’s wrong actions, but there is no need to insult innocent people. I honestly do hope Joel gets his life on track. He’s young enough to turn it around and move on from his past mistakes. As for my husband and I, we forgive him for what he did and only want him to learn from this experience. There are no hard feelings towards him. We will be praying for him

Monday, 6 July 2015, 9:16 pm
  • John..yes that couple should get an award for not shooting your friend dead like nearly 95% of armed citizens would do with a strange man standing in their home!! Your words about your friend could have been used as his eulogy ! Maybe he is a decent guy and needed assistance..then he should have said so not stand there like a moron, refusing to leave. But he’s been through the system for battery and resisting arrest..wrong place, wrong time then too?? So maybe not so nice of a guy afterall.

Monday, 6 July 2015, 8:00 pm
  • Hey John… He was “just in wrong place at the wrong time?” Id say.. walking right into someones home, having NO idea who’s house it was! Hes lucky.. read all above comments on everyone saying they would’ve shot first and asked questions later.. btw.. IF he was in “danger” as you say, CALL 911!!!!
    AIso, as you stated: He was just helping a friend start a car (with bullet holes in the windshield) Not good choices… Cmon Your friend is young and wayyyy off track in life, NOT the innocent, law abiding citizen you claim.. Your “The cops should go after the real criminals & drug dealers” statement is ridiculous…
    He committed a crime and from looking at his prior record, He IS voilent & HAS hurt someone (battery & resisting arrest, along with drugs/DUI) He Ovi. Is lost & Needs help, so maybe instead of being his friend by defending him on here, which is pointless & of NO help to him personally… you should help him get into some kind of rehab. Oh… calling me, my cousin and his wife names! Very Mature! lol..
    I TRULY DO hope your friend finds the help he needs. Hes young & is going to have a long, tough life ahead IF he doesnt get help & get it together asap (while hes still young and has a chance too)
    Also, Real friends DONT condone their friends reckless behavior, drug abuse and criminal actions… They keep it real / honest and help them better their lives and themselves instead of defending their indefensible actions.. Js.. ✌

Sunday, 5 July 2015, 5:38 pm
  • Hey john…looks like your PUNK friend was lucky….if it was my house I would have beat HIM just like the clown I found in my house…

Sunday, 5 July 2015, 2:32 pm
  • No matter what this young mans intentions were it was a terrifying situation. Because of all of this we have put in a security system and security cameras around our house and entire property that are monitored 24/7. Now if anyone else comes within 75 feet of our property line they better be smiling for the cameras. We are very greatful to our friends in the military who helped us secure our home.

Sunday, 5 July 2015, 1:26 pm
  • John had your friend come in my home and ask me for help I would have helped him. He never said he needed help. He jumped my fence and bashed through my back door and when we asked him to leave he wouldn’t speak and would not leave. You see how you would react if someone you didn’t know came running in your house and won’t leave or tell you what the problem is. I have a child to protect and I won’t have a strange man in my house and just stand there not knowing him or what he could do to us. You call us stupid…well you should be thanking us for not shooting him like all of my neighbors would have done. Next time someone comes in my house they will be shot without hesitation

Sunday, 5 July 2015, 12:53 pm
  • Lella unfortunately he was out by last night

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 9:02 pm
  • I know him personally and I hate how the media and this stupid couple act life they should receive a award for pulling a weapon on him ,he could have been in danger, and Kerry your a idiot dont you talk about my friend like that,Joel would never do anything like that unless he felt he was in danger, Joel doesnt hang out with these kind of people on the regular, simple wrong place wrong time wrong crowd,as far as i have heard he was only trying to help his friend start his car and get it moved, of course the police gotta make it into a giant story, dont they got real criminals and drug dealers to go after??

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 8:11 pm
  • joel is a honest hard working individual , he was in fear for his life if he did that

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 8:04 pm
  • Always thought law was if you shoot them inside house your butt is covered not outside? Is he a legal person or a illegal immigrant? By looking at car looks like another drug deal, guns. Thank God they were not hurt but maybe he should be locked up for awhile. Who cares about his goatee being killed in your own home is more important.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 6:55 pm
  • My husband is medically retired and was on temporary medical retirement at the time this picture was taken at our wedding. He was not required to shave since he was not on active duty. Thanks to everyone for the kind words. It means a lot to both of us that our community stands behind us

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 4:57 pm
  • Great job Hernando Cty for letting this repeat offender back on the streets. No doubt he’ll walk again. Hernando needs a 3 strike rule.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 3:15 pm
  • He probably has a shaving waiver.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 3:02 pm
  • good job to the home owner for standing his ground! i wonder if the cops woulda shot him lol

Friday, 3 July 2015, 9:03 pm
  • For the 99% of our population whom never served, this why it’s important (to veterans).
    AR 670-1 Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia
    Section 1-1 “Soldiers have an individual responsibility for ensuring their appearance reflects the highest level of professionalism”.

Section 3-2
    Paragraph 2(b)
    “Soldiers will keep the growth trimmed to the level specified by the appropriate medical authority, but are not authorized to shape the hair growth (examples include, but are not limited to goatees)”

Friday, 3 July 2015, 4:39 pm
  • If someone enters my home uninvited and I feel that he is a threat and if he continues to advance on me I will shoot to kill, He would leave me no choice.

Friday, 3 July 2015, 3:11 pm
  • that junkie will be free by end of next week doin it to someone else or worst shpuld of shot him as long as u dont shoot him in the back bit once in ur home he is done we need to set the law as you can see he will be free maybe already is…fuck Florida come in my home i will shoot and stap u and let my dog munch on you so if any junkies reading this come see my justice all n all glad that family is safe we live in a county full of junkies i would of made an example out of him indeed.

Friday, 3 July 2015, 2:34 pm
  • The goatee is now allowed in I believe certain branches of the military. I served in 1971 and they were not allowed. I also belief mustaches were not allowed during that era as well. Times have changed through the years. Cudos to Nick. Most ex military feel the same way. We believe in the right to bear arms and he did it just as most ex military would have. It is called being patient and having self control. Shooting that guy would only have left a large scar in his life which he certainly did not need to have.

Friday, 3 July 2015, 2:17 pm
  • you enter my house and asked to leave and you don’t, you bet I will shoot you. You have no business barging into my house in the first place.

Friday, 3 July 2015, 1:49 pm
  • Your right Kerry…a misd charge? What a crock!!!

Friday, 3 July 2015, 10:14 am
  • Here here Kerry. I’m glad that they’re both safe and Nick didn’t have to fire his weapon.

Friday, 3 July 2015, 10:09 am
  • Why are people so rude! He is a man in honor so that commit about his goatee really shouldn’t matter! Ty for your service and you did the right thing before shooting!

Friday, 3 July 2015, 8:26 am
  • Nick is my 1st cousin and was medically discharged from the Army after being diagnosed with MS at 24yrs old while over sea’s (he had JUST signed for another 4yrs and was gonna spend his future in the military.) His Goatee is also NOT the issue here.. The issue is the fact that a drugged out loser ran into their home and is only charged with a Misdemeanor THATS the issue!!!!!!!! Glad my cousin and His wife are safe… im so proud of them both…

Friday, 3 July 2015, 7:54 am
    • ever heard of HIPPA?

Monday, 6 July 2015, 8:33 am
  • that is funny how us ex military guys notice the goatee. Looks very foreign considering how strict it was

Friday, 3 July 2015, 6:34 am
  • Assuming this was related to rhe shooting mentioned, the couple was lucky Rivera was unarmed and they had time to retrieve a firearm. Because seconds matter, I keep mine nearby and cocked at all times.

Friday, 3 July 2015, 5:20 am
  • goatees are allowed in the service.

Friday, 3 July 2015, 12:38 am
  • Because by the looks of it that is a wedding photo. It wouldn’t be unusual for a military man to wear his dress uniform to his wedding and because it is his wedding maybe his wife prefers facial hair? Just saying 🙂

Friday, 3 July 2015, 12:16 am
  • Maybe home on leave for a while and grew it out while home. Maybe the pics alittle older than today.

Thursday, 2 July 2015, 11:42 pm
  • Shoot first, ask questions later !!!!!

Thursday, 2 July 2015, 11:29 pm
  • Why is this man in a military dress uniform with a goatee?

Thursday, 2 July 2015, 10:32 pm
  • You break in my house I will not ask you to leave I will shoot you

Thursday, 2 July 2015, 10:30 pm
    • And you’d go to jail! Is it worth it? They did the right thing. Something that you should learn.

Friday, 3 July 2015, 10:45 am
      • What are you talking about Denise? Complete nonsense. You DON’T go to jail for a clear case of self defense. “Stand your ground” and Castle Law”. Maybe you’ve heard of them. You can defend yourself if an intruder is in your home and feel your life is threatened. Why even own a gun?? That’s what it’s there for. SELF defense. Not for house hunting raccoons. Is a deer going to break in? BOOM!! Your ears ring, he’s neutralized with buck shot or dead. He was just lucky he broke into the right house. Other’s wouldn’t have been so patient with that moron.

Saturday, 4 July 2015, 8:48 pm
  • Great job done by the homeowner but, why would RNRF show the home ?

Thursday, 2 July 2015, 10:05 pm
  • He didn’t have to shoot him Globalguy…that’s the whole great point. He was prepared if he had to, but didn’t have to use the weapon. That’s a good thing.

Thursday, 2 July 2015, 9:38 pm
    • Totally agree with you, Kpines.

Friday, 3 July 2015, 7:20 am
  • In his house threatening family, fear of your life’s, Shoot Him!

Thursday, 2 July 2015, 9:01 pm
  • Glad to hear a man was prepared to protect his home, even more glad he finally left.

Thursday, 2 July 2015, 8:40 pm
  • That’s great! This is how a gun for home safety was intended. Good job.

Thursday, 2 July 2015, 8:38 pm