Horse Struck and Killed on California Street

BROOKSVILLE – Just before 10:00 p.m. Fire Rescue responded to the intersection of California Street and Trails End Road, after reports that a vehicle struck horse.

According to witnesses, the white van pictured below struck the horse, resulting in fatal injuries.

There are no reports of injuries to the occupants of the van at this time.

California street is closed at that intersection but traffic is being diverted through La Bella Street and Daytona Street.

Horse 1 Horse 2

Comments
  • Sylvia Rice didn’t a couple of pit bull just attack a couple boys walking home from their bus stop in that area recently?

Monday, 21 September 2015, 9:35 pm
    • I haven’t heard but hope that it was reported to animal control, they should have it on record. I do know, however, that there’s usually a group of 3, a male, a breeding female and usually one of her grown pups from apparently many litters. If approached, she is very protective and does not stand down, just from my experience. If boys were attacked and especially if it’s from the same “back yard” breeders, I’d be very surprised if they were released back to the owners. If they were, something needs to be done, it’s bad enough that they run horses through fences, a whole different level of dangerous behavior when it comes to kids!!!

Tuesday, 22 September 2015, 10:35 am
  • This is very sad and after it happened the appropriate officials were supposed to clean up the “mess” but instead left it all for little children to see that morning because that is a bus stop!!! It did eventually get taken care of…rip horse and my condolences to the owner!!!

Saturday, 19 September 2015, 12:39 pm
  • People need to slow there speed down on California. I live off there and it is a race track. Sorry for the loss of the horse. And may the women in the truck make a full recoverey.

Saturday, 19 September 2015, 8:52 am
  • I heard something get hit last night but i didnt know what it was till I heard about what happened

Saturday, 19 September 2015, 12:27 am
  • He went down on the right road….Trails End…RIP Trigger…

Friday, 18 September 2015, 5:02 pm
  • Silvia rice my prayers go out to the owner of that horse….tragic events do happen….unfortunately…rip to a beautiful and beloved horse…..

Friday, 18 September 2015, 4:03 pm
  • I feel truly sorry for the loss of this horse, but did anyone else notice the Street sign? Trails End Road….Happy Trails Horse…

Friday, 18 September 2015, 2:37 pm
  • Just wanted to let everyone know that the farm and horse owner is an extremely responsible and experienced horse person and spares no expense in the care of them. She has been a neighbor of ours for over 14 years and this is the first time, that I’m aware of, that any of her 25 + horses have ever gotten out! Her fencing is the top of the line PVC boarded type as to reduce the chances of not only injury to the animals but also keep them secured but unfortunately, sometimes, no matter what you do, accidents can still happen. The farm is well off the road but somehow, two top railings were down by the entrance gate to the farm. In recent weeks, there have been several sightings of a pack of coyotes behind our farm which joins at one NE corner of her pastures and can see her beautiful barn from where ours is. I’m wondering if this could have been a possible cause of the otherwise very calm horses to have been caused to push through. We also have had 3 pit bulls come and chase our horses through the fences several times that have escaped from their kennel that live less than a mile north of us off one of the side roads of California St and when they get out, they make a beeline to anywhere there are horses. The owner of the dogs even made the comment to me “how they LOVE to chase them”! Animal control has fined the owners several times but I do not know the status of their whereabouts at this time but the dogs have lived at their location for years. I’m not by any means suggesting they were involved and only mention it from my own bad experiences with the dogs and the possibilities of why these horses pushed through an otherwise very secure fence under normal conditions. There were a total of three horses out, when the one horse was hit the other two ran back towards home. The horse was actually hit by two vehicles, a truck and a van, traveling opposite ways, passing almost at the same time. Being on scene minutes after the accident, I can say with confidence that the horse was killed instantly on impact, which is the only comfort that this tragedy can hopefully bring to his owner. I know that this horse had the best life, care and love that could ever been given, may he rest in peace.
    We are greatly saddened for the loss of her horse that she raised from a baby and has been her companion for 18 years and wish to share our deepest condolences to her. I was grateful to hear that there was a minor injury to a woman in one of the vehicles and hopefully she will make a speedy recovery. Our prayers go out to all involved.

Friday, 18 September 2015, 2:14 pm
  • Very very sad…

Friday, 18 September 2015, 12:49 pm
  • I am not usually a fan of DangerDave’s comments…however it did add a little levity to my day only because he could have been right.

I’m not cold and heartless, I do feel bad about someone’s loss of a horse.

Friday, 18 September 2015, 10:05 am
  • Busdudez you aren’t funny at all a****le. Get a life!

Friday, 18 September 2015, 8:56 am
    • Get a sense of humor.

Friday, 18 September 2015, 5:28 pm
  • At least it was not hit by a Mustang or Bronco !

Friday, 18 September 2015, 6:34 am
  • very sad .believe it or not the same thing happened to a white horse last year. only in the afternoon. could be same one. not sure if ir=t died they took it away by trailer laying down. someone needs to fix their fence

Friday, 18 September 2015, 6:24 am
  • That is so very sad…..

Friday, 18 September 2015, 5:56 am
  • WOW! Was wondering what happened out there last night.

Friday, 18 September 2015, 5:19 am
  • Awe this is so sad. 🙁
    I hope the horse did not suffer.

Friday, 18 September 2015, 2:04 am
  • My son told me about this story and I thought he said someone hit some whores on California street.

Friday, 18 September 2015, 12:48 am
  • Breaks my heart. Horses are such majestic creatures. Mine get out occasionally and have to be rounded up. I pray the occupants of the van are ok. Rest in the arms of the Lord majestic friend.

Friday, 18 September 2015, 12:23 am