Hurricane Irma Packing Winds of 180mph, Gov. Scott Declares State of Emergency

UPDATE: 5:06 P.M. – Hernando County Emergency Management continues to monitor Hurricane Irma. Government leaders are assessing current and forecasted conditions to determine the need for additional emergency protective measures. A local State of Emergency is currently in effect.

Four self-serve sandbag distribution sites will be open starting Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at the following locations. Sand and sandbags will be available starting from 8 a.m. until sundown and will be available until further notice. Bring your own shovel.
1. Hernando County Department of Public Works, 1525 East Jefferson Street, Brooksville, FL 34601
2. Hernando County Fire Rescue Station 1, 1479 Parker Avenue, Spring Hill, FL 34606
3. Hernando Beach Water Tower, 4500 Shoal Line Boulevard, Hernando Beach, FL 34607
4. Ridge Manor Community Center, 34240 Cortez Blvd Dade City, FL 33523
Pine Island Park, located at 10840 Pine Island Drive near Bayport, will be closed on Thursday, September 7 until further notice due to potential flooding.
Residents should closely monitor the progress of this system through local media outlets.
Check emergency supply kits, and ensure plans and preparations to secure personal property are complete.

Stay tuned as more information becomes available. Go to the Emergency Operations Center website at http://www.hernandocounty.us/em/ for all storm-related notices.

HERNANDO – If you’ve lived in Florida long enough then you know it’s better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best when a major hurricane is bearing down on our state. That’s exactly what Gov. Rick Scott Tweeted yesterday, when he declared a state of emergency for all 67 Florida Counties, as Hurricane Irma appears to be headed our way.

In recent months, the Board of County Commissioners has taken charge of Emergency Management Operations, formerly controlled by the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office.

For updates and information on any natural or man-made disasters, residents of Hernando County access information by calling (352) 754-4083 or following the Emergency Management website at http://www.hernandocounty.us/em/

At this time there are is no posted information regarding Hurricane Irma but the website does provide a list of shelters, escape routes, and flood zones.

Water and other basic provisions are already disappearing of grocery store shelves in our area, even though the storm is still over 1500 miles away from our area.

Weather experts say the storm could be a Category 4 by the time it slams into south Florida or the Florida Keys. From there, experts are still trying to determine exactly which way the story could go and a lot of factors will play a part in which way it will shift.

As of the latest update by the National Weather Service, Irma is a Cat 5 Hurricane, packing sustained winds of 180 mph, with gusts of over 200 mph, and it is headed west at 14 mph towards the Leeward Islands.

Most experts expect the storm to eventually effect Florida but it’s still unclear if the storm will enter the Gulf of Mexico and skirt the west coast or remain in the Atlantic.

RNRF has reached out to all local emergency officials but we have yet to receive a response.

RNRF will bring more updates in the coming days and we will cover any storm related incidents that occur in our viewing area.

Comments
  • Is it not better to be safe than sorry. There are always stupid people who just do not listen. They see the proof right in front of them, and they just don’ t get it. Are your material possessions more important then your life? Absolutely NOT.. If you are told to leave and stay and get trapped that is no ones fault but yours. People just have no freakin common sense. Get out while you can.

Saturday, 9 September 2017, 6:14 pm
  • Thank you, Tom, for the info. I know that you will keep us updated. I just moved from Spring Hill 3 weeks ago after living in Florida for 30 years. I know how bad these storms can get! I remember the year that roads flooded so bad that the intersection of Cortez & Broad St. was a lake all the way up to the fairgrounds! There was a video clip of water SURGING into the Save-A-Lot store there! It took them a long time to repair the damage. I still have family in Spring Hill and Brooksville and will be praying hard for their safety and that of all others in the path of Hurricane Irma. Even a non-direct hit in the area can be very devastating. BTW GEORGE…. GOD DOES EXIST! I suggest that you get to know Him ASAP. Perhaps you don’t believe that Satan exists either. You can tell him that to his face, should your eternity may be spent in HIS presence instead……

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 9:48 am
    • Which God do you refer to? Man kind has created thousands of Gods since the dawn of time many of which have gone by the wayside and are now considered myth and superstition for example the Greek and Roman gods. What information do you possess that I don’t that proves the one you believe in which I assume by your reference to Satan is the Christian god exists and all the others are false. I’m sure your God is very real to you just the same as all those others are or at least were to those people that believe in them. If you do the math you have a 1 in a few thousand chance of being correct which means if your wrong you will suffer what ever punishment that God decides you deserve. Even if you break it down to the three Abrahamic religons you have a 1in 3 chance of getting it right so odds are against you so if we are both wrong I will save you a seat where ever it is. So please stop your idle threats of my eternal damnation and think logically. Faith after all is belief without evidence.

Friday, 8 September 2017, 12:10 am
  • Water for sale.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 10:43 pm
    • Water,water everywhere and not a drop to drink. !!!!

Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 11:40 am
  • What do we do? Sheriff won’t help? Do we go to commissioners homes for help? OMG

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 7:46 pm
    • Our Sheriff is giving constant updates and keeping us informed. This is a power grab by the Commissioners they need to grow up.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 11:34 pm
  • Oh I feel so much better now knowing that the county commisioners are in charge of this, ( said with MUCH SARCASM ! ! There is one in particular that is an absolute JERK, unfortunately, I admit I voted for him, but I can guarantee you I will NOT VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN, also Will volunteer to work for anyone that runs against him, I do mean ANYONE. I will rely on news, weather channel, family and GOD MOST OF ALL to guide my family thru this. Sherriff should be doing this, not them. STay safe everyone and Okay is correct, don’t panic, Prayers for all, even the extremely rude, overly impressed with himself commissioner.that I had the very unpleasant experience of speaking to..

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 5:32 pm
    • Rely on yourselves be prepared don’t wait until told what to do like a bunch of sheep. Oh yea your counting on God to get you through this so your already a sheep who relays on the power of an imaginary man in the sky for guidance. Isn’t the storm proof enough that if your God did exist he doesn’t care or is he doing it to hear you beg for help then thank him for destroying someone else’s life instead of yours. For those who begged him and still were in the path of destruction I’m sure you will have some BS to spew of how God has better things for your future. Be safe and prepared don’t count on others to take your safety especially a fairy tale sky daddy

Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 9:43 am
      • @George be careful out there take care of yourself. Hope yor mom does ok.. Oh are you still scewing her.. Have a happy hurricane hope you dont need any help……🍔👆🐏❄😀😀😀😀💩

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 12:27 pm
        • Real mature Qunesha but then again what can you expect from someone who still believes in fairy tales.

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 5:35 pm
      • George, just how many neighbors in your area have you talked to today and asked if they need anything or you are there if they do? my guess is none, doesn’t matter , Why if you don’t believe in GOD does it BOTHER YOU if we people of faith do believe ? Never understood that, besides what makes you think I only beg (which I dont) simply for myself? You have no idea how or what I pray for. Thx Earth Orphan!! John 3:16.

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 2:43 pm
        • Well actually I helped put up storm shutters at one house and planned with my other elderly neighbors to make sure they were taken care of. Also made it clear to others I am here to assist before during and after the storm. Just because I don’t believe in your fairy tale book which contains some of the most immoral teachings and mass murder to include children doesn’t mean I’m a self centered person. My problem with religon is it makes people think in ways and believe in things despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary plus they feel the right to force those beliefs on others. More atrocities have been commuted in your Gods name then I can count. And if you stop cherry picking the book you will see your God personally committed,ordered or condoned many of them. That’s my problem with faith

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 5:49 pm
          • Commuted should say committed

Thursday, 7 September 2017, 5:50 pm
  • Survived 4 hurricanes/tropical storms. Lost home in 1972 – no FEMA. Don’t panic. This 2 shall pass. Use common sense.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 5:21 pm
  • geez…just went out to get gas we needed…went to multiple stations…al long lines…alot of pumps out…seems like alot of people taking this one seriously for once….good luck all!!

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 4:04 pm
  • So we have politicians in charge of emergency management instead of tbe sherriff? All the more reason to evacuate early.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 3:23 pm
  • Everyone is in a damn panic! Haven’t we all learned not to freak out yet? She isn’t coming here folks, relax.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 2:59 pm
    • THAT’S WHAT THE MAYOR OF HUSTON SAID.

Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 8:53 am
  • Plz Be safe everyone!

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 2:35 pm
  • I find it interesting that Emergency Management page has absolutely nothing about Hurricane Irma on their page. The Sheriff has been sending out warnings for a couple of days now and it’s not even under his direction anymore.

Tuesday, 5 September 2017, 2:07 pm
    • Your right nothing on there whomever said sheriff’s in charge nothing on his website either depend on yourself…

Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 10:35 am