Individuals with Outstanding Warrants Asked to Surrender During Event

HERNANDO – Do you have a non-violent misdemeanor warrant? If so, Sheriff Al Nienhuis invites you to surrender to the court and potentially have your case resolved without facing arrest.

Operation Safe Surrender offers individuals with non-violent misdemeanor warrants a chance to have their warrant reviewed, and potentially resolved, instead of being arrested. Officials say Operation Safe Surrender is not an amnesty program but it will offer favorable consideration from the Court.

Operation Safe Surrender was introduced in Cleveland, Ohio, in 2005, by U.S. Marshal Pete Elliott.  After losing a fellow officer in June of 2000, Elliott designed the program in hopes that fewer law enforcement officers would be hurt or killed in the line of duty.

Since the inception of Operation Safe Surrender, over 34,000 individuals have surrendered voluntarily throughout the United States.

Several law enforcement agencies throughout the state of Florida have participated in events similar to this and have experienced great success, saving wanted persons time, money, resources, and embarrassment, say officials.

The Hernando County Sheriff’s Office, Hernando County Court, Hernando County State Attorney’s Office, Public Defender’s Office, and Hernando County Clerk of Circuit Court are all participating in the event.

Officials say there are currently 650 individuals with a total of 677 non-violent misdemeanor warrants (retail theft, unlicensed animal, trespass, etc.), who qualify for and will be invited to attend this event.

The event will be held Saturday, April 29th at the Hernando County in Courtroom D, which is located on the first floor. The Courthouse is located at 20 North Main Street in Brooksville.

Defendants are asked to bring a valid ID and not to bring children or weapons to the event.

Fines and fees may be reduced and collected at the event.

RNRF may attend the event but will not reveal the identity of thos attending unless they are arrested at the scene.

If anyone has any questions, please contact the Hernando County Sheriff’s Office Warrants Section at 352-797-3654.

Comments
  • Odds are your going to get caught eventually anyways . So why not go on your own. I’d think it would look best if a person just turned themselves in. Especially if it’s a minor warrant. Sounds better than the pain in the neck from looking over your sholder

Sunday, 16 April 2017, 1:37 am
  • “Come turn yourself in and it may be forgiven! No kids allowed, good chance we put you in jail.”

Saturday, 15 April 2017, 1:14 pm
  • Mike you simply CAN’T USE ANY HUMOR HERE, LEST THEY CALL YOU AN IDIOT. IDK, prefer donuts and coffee myself. Lmbo. No warrants, no tickets so I won’t be there. Thanks for the article Tom,

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:42 pm
    • If your not a criminal, no worries!

Friday, 14 April 2017, 8:59 pm
  • Green bologna samich for all…

Friday, 14 April 2017, 3:19 pm
    • MOONLAKE STEAK !!!!
      My favorite!!! ?

Friday, 14 April 2017, 5:39 pm
  • IF YOU DON’T GO AND GET ARRESTED ON THE STREET YOUR NAME WILL BE PUBLISHED.

Operation Safe Surrender offers individuals with non-violent misdemeanor warrants a chance to have their warrant reviewed, and potentially resolved, instead of being arrested. Officials say Operation Safe Surrender is not an amnesty program but it will offer favorable consideration from the Court.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 2:33 pm
  • This is a program offering to resolve without further arrest…. But it doesn’t guarantee if they surrender they won’t go to jail…. I mean that’s what I perceive to be when the next to last paragraph says “RNRF may attend the event but will not reveal the identity of this attending unless they are arrested at the scene”. So will they be arrested or like the sheriff’s Dept states, not arrested? And no I have no warrants of any kind just clarifying.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 12:37 pm
    • That word “POTENTIAL”.. Potentially have your case resolved without facing ARREST; POTENTIALLY resolved instead of being ARRESTED; then DON’T BRING CHILDREN…
      Potential is just another word for POSSIBILITY ; as in Winning the Lottery is a Possibility…

Friday, 14 April 2017, 2:37 pm
    • Kudos, Tom, for your patience with “adult” readers whose attention spans can’t follow the slightest compound sentence. No wonder that so many kids are failing in school. Keep up the good work.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 3:27 pm
      • THINKS SPOT ON 100%

Wednesday, 19 April 2017, 9:37 am
  • Seems like any news presence might make people not want to turn themselves in. May be detrimental to the idea their going for.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 12:33 pm
      • I understand the reasoning for making the press release, they wanted to get the word out. all I am getting at is someone who may have made a minor mistake and is seriously thinking about taking advantage of this opportunity to go through the system and make good on their misdeed may be deterred from doing so out of fear that they might be arrested if they can’t resolve their case that day and there for have their publicly avaible arrest information distributed to the masses.

All of which is legal and publicly available but I still think it may be in the best interest of the event if the names of arrestees isn’t publicly put out through a news blog. Anyone looking for that information can go to the website for the sheriff and look at it. A bit of journalistic discretion in other words might be the best thing for all involved.

Just one commenters opinion.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 4:22 pm
  • ” RNRF may attend the event but will not reveal the identities of those attending unless they are arrested……..after that , the smear campaign begins to the degree that when we get through anyone that has been arrested won’t want to go out in public ever again………because at RNRF…….we kick’em when they’re up, kick’em when they’re down, kick’em when they’re stiff, kick’em all around……”

Friday, 14 April 2017, 12:21 pm
      • What purpose could it possibly serve other than to shame, belittle or otherwise condemn ordinary people that made some sort of mistake?

Friday, 14 April 2017, 2:26 pm
      • And the public appreciates your reporting, Tom. Considering Bethy’s daily compulsion to bring a broom to a brain fight, she does indeed find some fault in most every story you report but she still reads them. Well played, RNRF.

Friday, 14 April 2017, 2:48 pm
        • RORY MOST HERE AGREE WITH YOU

Wednesday, 19 April 2017, 7:50 am
      • I thought the purpose of this event was for people Not to get arrested so why is RNRF saying they will only release names of those who get arrested at the scene and or event? Isnt getting arrested at the scene defeating the whole purpose of this?

Sunday, 23 April 2017, 2:28 am
      • Hi I just wanted to let everyone know I went to the event operation safe surrender and it went wonderful. I have had a warrant out for me for almost 2 years a violation of probation. I never turned myself in bc I was told to do 30 days in a rehab then the warrant would be exonerated however that was not the case two years ago. But today this event was awesome. I brought my papers from the rehab showing I was there 30 days I also brought documents showing I remain in outpatient care. The judge was very fair. I just need to complete a shop lifting course given by a probation officer and return to court the beginning of June showing I completed the course. The event was very organized everyone including the cops were very nice. This was the best thing Hernando has done . I’m so grateful I received a card about operation safe surrender. It’s unheard of someone not going to jail on a VOP. This event was awesome. I was the second person called and I was out of threre by 1020 am. It’s over at 2 pm so is anyone has a warrant get to the court house!!!

Saturday, 29 April 2017, 11:59 am