Infant Dies After Left in Hot Car, Officials Say Mother Last to See Him Alive

SPRING HILL – Officials say they don’t know how long 9-month old Keyton O’Callaghan was left inside a hot car before he succumbed to extreme temperatures and died.

Officials say Fire Rescue responded to 12310 Elgin around 11:16 a.m. after receiving a 911 call from the residence. The child was taken to nearby Oak Hill Hospital where he was pronounced deceased less than an hour later.

Hernando County Sheriff’s spokesperson Denise Moloney says Keyton was left in the care of his mother, 38-year-old Cami Lee Moyer last night, and was discovered in a car by the father, 32-year-old Eric O’Callaghan, who immediately began performing CPR.

The child’s mother was interviewed in the back of a patrol car for several hours before being transported to the Sheriff’s Office. Keyton’s father drove in a private vehicle to the Sheriff’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office is waiting for search warrant’s to enter the family’s home and vehicle.

Moloney reminds parents to place a shoe or other item in the back seat as a reminder to check for children.

CLICK HERE FOR ORIGINAL BREAKING REPORT

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, redistributed. ™2013 – 2018 RNRF Incorporated.

Comments
  • Put her ass in jail. PERIOD. WHAT” Failing memory”. DRUG ADDICT MEMORY.

Monday, 20 August 2018, 3:41 pm
  • My youngest children are 19 year old twins, I STILL CHECK ON THEM to make sure they are out of the car and have all of their belongings!!! How can one ever forget about their children??? She is just a lazy prefe of sh*t!!!

Monday, 20 August 2018, 12:58 pm
  • Hey mom your a piece of sh##

Sunday, 19 August 2018, 10:51 pm
  • Light that junkie on fire!!! The person who said put a shoe in the back seat is also a moron!!! Yes she will walk HCSO is a weak agency and only prosecutes people when there is a solid case and if there is any doubt she will be proven innocent they won’t even try to prosecute her.

Sunday, 19 August 2018, 11:06 am
    • Exactly. She will show her go fund me page and claim deep depression or some bull crap. And so she walks 😥

Sunday, 19 August 2018, 12:06 pm
  • So not going to get to deep but she is a druggie won’t say what she was on and trust me I know …. but you guy just wait till the truth comes out not sure if they will update this and say but yup all over drugs

Sunday, 19 August 2018, 10:14 am
    • You should alert police. They keep it confidential. Any help in this case , may save one more innocent child from
      A horrific death. They need to stop slapping these bitches on the wrist and letting them go. Maybe then it might signal something in their brains to ” think ” before they get pregnant. If they wanna do their disgusting drugs … no baby should have to die over a filthy mother like that..no. Baby … why have a baby?? Why use protection you horrible people. For your one night enjoyment. A poor little thing died.

Sunday, 19 August 2018, 10:37 am
  • If you have to leave a “shoe” or anything else of “importance” in the backseat to remind you that you have a precious child back there..then you are not worthy to have that “second thought” child!

Sunday, 19 August 2018, 9:17 am
  • Did any of you see on tv the portable crib mattress being removed from the car?? What the hell was that doing in there?? I’m thinking maybe the baby cries And she puts him
    In the car

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 11:00 pm
  • Any Updates?

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 9:56 pm
  • Okay so I see a lot of people dog and Joanne because of the suggestion of the shoe. The thing is while parents should never forget their children in a car. The sad reality is that it happens.
    I’m teaching my daughter though if there is a way to avoid something why not take that extra step and do it. Did I have to leave a stuffed animal or my shoe in my backseat no as many if not all of you have never had to do. But don’t knock doing it because you wouldn’t. someone might be listening to you say it’s a stupid idea agree with you then leave their kid in the car and their kid dies.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 4:43 pm
    • Leave the phone in the backseat is a much better idea that a f*cking shoe, I’m sure she wouldn’t forget her phone in the backseat.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 7:44 pm
      • I agree 100% with this! (cell phone)

Sunday, 19 August 2018, 11:29 am
      • Or your purse

Monday, 20 August 2018, 10:23 am
      • If you step out of the car with only one shoe on I think it would be an immediate reminder

Monday, 20 August 2018, 6:57 pm
  • If it was the mother that was the problem, where was the father ?

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 2:56 pm
    • The dad was at work

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 7:46 pm
  • I bet she dropped off other child at school perhaps, the baby sleeping sound in the car seat, she thinks it is morning still cool, I will leave him for a few…she will pay for this dumb decision for the rest of her life. We should try to go easy on the names being called, this women just sentenced herself. She will never forget what she did. Not asking anyone to be kind, maybe just not so mean.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 2:34 pm
    • SHE SHOULD PAY for the REST of HER LIFE, in a PRISON!!
      You should NEVER LEAVE A CHILD IN A CAR NO MATTER WHAT THE WEATHER IS!!

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 7:52 pm
  • I will bet anything, that if she put her phone in the back seat she would have remembered the child.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 11:17 am
    • You nailed it!! No one forgets that cell phone! Chances are that she was engaged in a heavy conversation with someone at the time she pulled in to park. The baby had probably fallen asleep or was just peacefully quiet. She could have been wrapped up in a phone conversation, then jumped out to go in, totally forgetting the child period. I think the cops should THOROUGHLY check her phone and phone records to be sure. IF that is the case…she let her child die because a phone call was more important. Such a sad mistake to have to happen. That poor baby died due to her blatant self absorbed stupidity. She deserves a longggg sentence for that.

Sunday, 19 August 2018, 4:09 am
  • Dumb broad. I’ll leave the mother in the patrol car in direct sunlight. Ooops.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 11:07 am
  • She must smoke a lot of weed to forget her kid.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 10:27 am
    • That’s asinine, I smoked a lot of weed and never forgot my children in the car . Stop the anti-cannabis propaganda

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 4:29 pm
  • Ok….. A child has died. A family is shattered forever. Why do I continue to read these inbreed comments. “ I would this and I would that”. She must be on drugs!!! Idiots wake up! It can take less than “10” minuets for heat stroke to occur then death.
    Distraction is a parents nightmare!!
    Pray for this family and their lost child not ridicule!

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 8:26 am
    • Hey Dee, you call us inbreeds and idiots, hum, well none of us have left our children in hot cars to die. Maybe you are the inbred idiot. R,I.P. BABY BOY.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 1:19 pm
    • Bull crap on the 10 minutes.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 2:47 pm
    • I’d just like to know what you think is a logical explanation of why she forgot her baby! The mother needs to be charged with this “CRIME”!!!!!!!!

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 6:24 pm
  • wow….rip angel…forget you have a baby? WHAT THE ? this child obviously was apt to abuse at her mothers hands …sick twisted story. very sad but forgeting your purse in the car is one thing a child??? never!! i call bs she was probley asleep and well you can just imagine . i say drug test mommy dearest

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 5:09 am
  • I totally agree with you Robert leave a shoe what a joke. I bet the dumb bitch didnt forget her cell phone but her infant she forgets pure evil. I hope the monster burns in hell.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 3:00 am
    • A shoe, a cell phone, a wallet, whatever, who cares as long as it saves a child from a horrible death!

Tuesday, 21 August 2018, 10:08 am
  • For god’s sake put your purse in the backseat if you all are really dumb parents and can’t freaking remember that you have a child PATHETIC

Friday, 17 August 2018, 11:15 pm
  • Too old to have a baby?! I am 44 and have a 2 year old!! I do not need a reminder to remember her! This is just absurd and sad and.. why ?! Aging memory.. what the actual hell are you saying?!?!?!?

Friday, 17 August 2018, 10:44 pm
  • It comes down to drugs and alcohol. No sober person in their right mind would forget about a child. She needs to be arrested and locked up. Theres no excuse for her actions. Her kids should have come first!!!

Friday, 17 August 2018, 10:34 pm
  • I’m sitting here wondering. Do you guys think she may have blacked out in the house ??im really trying hard to think of what could of happened here?, maybe she got distracted my a text message. And if so she’s an asshole. But in gods name. I’m really trying to give this witch a. Chance here because I can’t get it through my head that someone would walk in a house and not remember a 9 month old baby??? First off at that age you are monitoring them pretty closely. Is she diabetic ? I’m really not getting this what this woman was doing !

Friday, 17 August 2018, 9:13 pm
    • I believe she is a evil monster and if she got diatracted with a text even worse you remember your cell but not your infant baby I think she is 100 percent guilty and I hope she frys.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 2:55 am
  • that bitch musta been high as a kite

Friday, 17 August 2018, 8:35 pm
    • Poor baby that’s gotta be a horrible death

Friday, 17 August 2018, 10:29 pm
    • Look how she parked.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 10:53 pm
  • Prayers for the family this baby has that did love him. This is very sad can’t even fathom forgetting about this poor baby. How can you do that shame on you B****h hell has a special place just for you!

Friday, 17 August 2018, 8:35 pm
  • For some strange reason I have a feeling this woman is going to walk “free”. No matter what the circumstances . Someone needs to be held accountable for this horrific crime to this poor innocent child. It just breaks me apart thinking of that little soul trapped in the car. Omg .. the comment about being to
    Old. Well I don’t know about that .. I had a child at 19. And 2 more 18 years later. Never let them out of my sight

Friday, 17 August 2018, 8:27 pm
    • My mom had 3 babies in 1 yr a set of twins and a 11 month baby at home and this was before pampers,Simalic,wipes and she had no help but she wasn’t a whiner and she was alcohol free and drug free the mothers of today are spoiled & self centered. I have never heard of a better mother than mine

Friday, 17 August 2018, 9:02 pm
  • Put that fat pig in the car until she dies!!!!!

Friday, 17 August 2018, 8:14 pm
  • Leave a shoe so you don’t forget you have a child? Seriously? How about we keep our shoes on and remember we have a CHILD! I guess to some people their shoes are worth more than their children.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 7:57 pm
    • I agree with you. Leave a shoe thats bull i bet she didnt forget her cell phone but her kid she forgets i dont believe it was an accident I believe she is guilty.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 3:02 am
      • I agree…leave a SHOE?! How about let’s not procreate if we don’t have enough brain cells to remember that you have a living being who is dependant on YOU! Put her in jail…she needs to be held accountable 😠

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 6:46 am
    • No, don’t know about the shoes…but their phones DEFINITELY are. 😠

Sunday, 19 August 2018, 4:16 am
  • As much as I am saddened by the event itself, I am totally baffled by the suggestion to leave a shoe or other item in the backseat to remember to check for children. That has to be one of the most useless suggestions I have ever heard, especially considering the gravity of the situation. It is not applicable as a viable suggestion to remember a child.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 7:42 pm
    • You are totally baffled by the suggestion to leave a shoe or another item in the backseat to remember to check for your children????? I came up with that idea a few years back and in many cases where children were left in the back seat of their parents hot car and their parents went into their place of business and had “thought” that they had dropped their child off at daycare, by leaving their shoe in the back seat would have probably saved a few children if not more than a few. After all, if a parent leaves their shoe in the back of the car, they would have to get out of the car themselves and burn their own foot on hot pavement and that would have certainly reminded them where their shoe was and also the baby was within inches of the parents’ shoe! They are now selling high tech devices which can cost a hundred bucks or more, much cheaper to leave that shoe in the back seat!!!

Friday, 17 August 2018, 8:05 pm
      • U are dumb Joanne. Really dumb idea. I wanna smack u. I came up with the idea to leave ur baby in the backseat to remind u that ur baby is in the back seat. Now I’m the smart one. Boo ya

Friday, 17 August 2018, 9:38 pm
      • Everyone lets give Joanne a big pat on the back for her shoe idea…

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 6:53 am
    • I totally agree with you. First of all parents shouldn’t need reminders that their children are in the car a nine month old did not get in that car seat all by itself.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 8:12 pm
      • Exactly I totally agree with you C. If a parent needs a darn reminder that there infant baby is in the back seat then they should not have children. Its bull she is guilty guilty guilty

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 3:06 am
  • If people don’t want there kids put them up for adoption.There is always some one who will love them and take care of them this really breaks my heart to hear something like this .Look people if you don’t want your kid just tell some one I am sure they can find a good loving home for them . May God bless the baby .

Friday, 17 August 2018, 7:20 pm
  • this is sick i bet they didnt forget their cell phone but they can forget their baby in the car there is no excuse for that it is child abuse and neglect and now murder its not a damn accident its purposely done they should be ashamed of their selves. poor baby rip sweet angel some people shouldnt have children period

Friday, 17 August 2018, 7:14 pm
    • I agree with you 100 percent this breaks my heart to hear about this sweet precious boy dying. Murdering woman.

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 3:09 am
  • Put the child in the front seat and be carful how you drive. that might stop these needless deaths

Friday, 17 August 2018, 7:03 pm
  • It just can’t even cross my brain 🧠 that you not only carry this little angel for 9 months or so and 9 months caring for him and you ALL OF A SUDDEN forget that you have a little life that depends on you!!!!!!!! NAH !!! NOPE!!! 🖐🏼🖐🏼🖐🏼🖐🏼🖐🏼 NO EXCUSES!!!!!

Friday, 17 August 2018, 6:37 pm
  • How could she not remember her baby once in the house. She must have been high on something. Now parents don’t forget your shoes!! What a joke, leave a shoe in the backseat!!!

Friday, 17 August 2018, 6:31 pm
  • A F*CKING shoe? Are you kidding me? How do you forget YOUR CHILD?? A parent, no, any adult human being, should not NEED a reminder that there is a child in the vehicle. The fact that this keeps happening really pisses me off…. Ive been dead tired, lacking sleep, completely mentally and physically exhausted still haven’t FORGOTTEN my child. There is no excuse.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 6:16 pm
  • Leave a shoe in the backseat so you remereme you have a baby….wow, have we honestly come to this point in our society? Why doesn’t the sheriff’s office be honest and say what they really mean “put your cellphone and drugs by the car seat because we know you will remember those”.

No excuses. Someone needs prison (and sterilization…mandatory) And someone needs to make sure the inmates know why they are there….punishment will be dished out.

You can’t forget you have a baby….unless you are a total waste of oxygen….and apparently we have the biggest waste right there on Elgin. We aren’t talking teenagers either….we are talking 30 something idiots. Don’t defend them ….the only person that needed defending is dead now.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 6:15 pm
  • If a parent/caregiver can’t remember a child in the backseat what makes you think they will remember a shoe!?!?
    What an idiotic thing to say!!

Friday, 17 August 2018, 6:09 pm
    • They say to put one of your shoes in the back seat. That way when you go to get out and you only have a shoe on one foot you will remember. Sadly no one should forget they have a child in the backseat but today people are so busy with so much going on and trying to do so much they forget their children. Yes as a parent I can’t fathom that. I knew where my child was until she got into her thirties. There is no excuse for this. If people are that busy then maybe they need jail time to have their life slow down a little.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 6:58 pm
  • I don’t understand how no charges have been brought against either parent. Put whoever left the child into a car that they can’t get out of and let them suffer the same death that this poor innocent child had to endure.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 5:59 pm
  • Someone should lock her DUMBASS up in a car over night and see bho she likes it. That’s no accident sorry but ur either high or drunk to not remember ur baby all night. Good bless that baby.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 5:45 pm
  • Wow. Poor baby. She was too goddamn old to have a baby to begin with….either it was her aging memory or she was strung out on drugs….drugs would be my guess. What a horrific way to die, especially for a little baby. Hope she goes to hell for that.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 5:43 pm
    • She was 38, How is that to old?? I didn’t understand your statement. 38 is that old to have a child.
      Drugs was probably a good guess.

Friday, 17 August 2018, 7:17 pm
    • 38 is not too old to have a baby. “aging memory” really?

Friday, 17 August 2018, 7:50 pm
    • ”failing memory” due to being 38 years old are you really that stupid?

Saturday, 18 August 2018, 10:29 am