; ;

Investigation Underway into Fatal Motorcycle Crash

UPDATE: 9/24/2017, 1:58 P.M. – The deceased has been identified as 51-year-old Gene Arden Leavitte Jr. Officials say Leavitte struck a utility pole while traveling southbound on US-41. He was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.

BROOKSVILLE – Law enforcement is on the scene of motorcycle crash that has claimed the life of one person.

Fire Rescue responded to Tall Oaks Mobile Home Park, located at 11811 N. Broad Street, after reports of single vehicle crash. Before arriving on scene, law enforcement advised that the victim was already deceased.

The cause of the crash is unknown, as the investigation is just getting underway.

Drivers can expect traffic delays or detours while the Florida Highway Patrol conducts their investigation.

We will bring more on this story as it develops.

• If you’re driving a motorcycle aggressively, please, please, please make sure your taillights work. Driving home after dark tonight, a motorcycle swerved in front of me just before traffic light. No taillights. Passed car in front of me, swerved in front of them. Again, he had no taillights. Followed the car in front of them with less than a car space between. I backed way off (50 yards or so), and so did the car in front of me.
    I lost sight of the motorcycle, due to his speed and lack of taillights. Several minutes later, he came out of the convenience store where I get my gas. Drove off — fast –before I even got parked. Hope he makes it home okay…

Wednesday, 27 September 2017, 9:07 pm
  • RIP. Too young too soon.

Monday, 25 September 2017, 3:49 pm
  • I pay more attention when I see a person on a motorcycle than I do in a vehicle, I really do. If they want to buzz around me and the then cut in front of me, I let them have the road. I realize that they have no protection at all, except if they are wearing a helmet. After saying that, I would like to say this. I have noticed lately that some riders are taking a lot of chances when they are riding. Sometimes I wonder if I will see them a mile away laying on the side of the road. I know that people who ride bikes feel that they do not get the respect that they deserve but, let’s face it, they need to be a little more careful too. I am not talking about the man that lost his life in this post, I am generally speaking.

Monday, 25 September 2017, 6:59 am
  • Watch out for utility poles, they’re everywhere. Murdercycles = DEATH

Sunday, 24 September 2017, 3:30 pm
    • Opinions are like the Johnny Eldorado’s out there, Everyone has one.

Monday, 25 September 2017, 12:49 am
  • Prayers for him and his loved ones

Sunday, 24 September 2017, 3:11 pm
  • We have known Gene for several years, He left Citrus County Speedway last night and never made it home. We are all terribly devastated by this news and praying for his family and daughter.

Sunday, 24 September 2017, 3:04 pm
  • Why in the world would anyone want to see a picture of this poor soul??? Have a little respect for the people that loved this person. SMDH

Sunday, 24 September 2017, 12:36 pm
  • Any updates on who rider was?

Sunday, 24 September 2017, 12:30 pm
  • The accident was actually about 1/2 mile south of the park. Around 9:25 pm, there were still a lot of sheriff vehicles lining the road.

Sunday, 24 September 2017, 10:21 am
  • I’ll never understand why motorcyclist think their chance of survival is the same as a car should they be in an accident. Is the freedom of the “open road” worth that much? The risk reward ratio must worth it to some.

Sunday, 24 September 2017, 6:37 am
    • Yes it’s worth it! Do you really think you are that much safer in your cage on 4 wheels

Sunday, 24 September 2017, 11:44 pm
      • Actually, you are idiot. It’s common sense.

Monday, 25 September 2017, 10:42 am
      • Joe, are you asking if a car is safer than a motorcycle? Of course it is. I’m glad you like to ride. For the sake of your family please make sure your affairs are in order. Just in case!

Monday, 25 September 2017, 5:34 pm
  • Postman the picture of the crash

Saturday, 23 September 2017, 9:56 pm