July 4th Celebration Restored with Help of Community Leader

BROOKSVILLE – Last year, for the first time in more than 15 years, county residents were able to celebrate the 4th of July with a free fireworks show and a smash em’ up derby.  The event drew more than 10,000 residents and organizers expect to draw even bigger crowds this year.

Organizers say they’re happy to see the event return, as it is the only July 4th Celebration for residents of Hernando County. “It all started last year when I was talking with my friend Nick Nicholson, who also serves as a County Commissioner.  We both thought it was a shame it was that we didn’t have a community event to celebrate the 4th of July,” said organizer Richard Klimas, president of the Brooksville Pulling Association.  “I knew how to put together a great derby and when the county wasn’t able to help fund the event, Nick made the decision the he and other local businesses could raise the amount necessary to bring fireworks back to our community.  He personally knocked on doors and raised the majority of the money we needed.“

The Derby and Fireworks show are expected to be even bigger and there are new activities for kids, like free pony rides, a petting zoo, free games, and a huge Lego display.  All American food will also be available in the form of hot dogs, hamburgers, popcorn, boiled peanuts and much more.

Klimas say “It is amazing how many people and businesses are now a part of this great community event.” Klimas continues, “Our goal – which was especially important to Nick as a disabled veteran – was to bring the community together to celebrate America and honor our freedom.  We hope this year even more people will bring the family and have an incredible evening.”

Opening ceremony begins Monday July 4th at 6:30 p.m., followed by the derby, with fireworks planned for about 9 p.m. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for children, and $10 parking for each car.

The Hernando County Fairgrounds is located at 6436 Broad St. in Brooksville

fireworks-1102872_960_720

Comments
  • Elaine, you say I don’t care about hernando county finances and that’s just silly. The fact, you think, you’re entitled to see fireworks for free astounds me. There is a cost to put on this show. Yes they have corporate sponsorship. There will many people attending so why not offer marketing opportunities. If you want to know where the money comes from or goes just review the county’s finances. The information is public. I’m sorry you’re on social security disability. I would never tell you how to spend your money however this might be an event you find cost prohibitive. As an alternative someone suggested they park at Lowes and watch for free.
    I also hope you have a wonderful 4th of July.

Monday, 4 July 2016, 3:28 pm
  • How can it be for free if I have to pay $10 to park, $5 for my child to get in ( oh wait since she is older than 10 she will be charged $10) and then $10 for me to get in. So total charge of $30 for me to take my daughter to see the fireworks. Thanks Hernando Cheap people

Monday, 4 July 2016, 12:41 pm
  • Inclusive, reference Pasco county (Dade City) charges only $5.00 for parking & $5.00 for 13 & up. Are they richer than Hernando county? No. Obvious you are not on social security disability making LESS than $800.00 a month paying mortgage, water, electric, taxes, insurance, etc. I’m glad you will enjoy yourself. Also obvious you don’t care what Hernando county does with your money. HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY to you & yours.

Monday, 4 July 2016, 1:30 am
  • Elaine, i read the post you referenced by Elaine. The post only confirms what i stated. Some people will be able to attend and some will not. Again i point out not every event is affordable to everybody. If one event is not affordable try finding one that is and go there instead.

Sunday, 3 July 2016, 7:59 am
  • Years ago a neighbor of mine in Weeki Wachee started shooting off fireworks akin to the Lions’ Club Carnival in my hometown. Figured out a way to buy a bunch wholesale. A big bunch. He lives on this pond called Bulldozer Sink, or something similar, which is connected to a canal which is connected to the River a piece of heavy equipment fell into during the construction of Weeki Wachee Gardens.
    Anyway, it’s been a big event out here for years. Several years ago a couple of rich, I assume, neighbors, on the other side of this pond got together and also bought a bunch of fireworks. Now they fire back and forth at each other like a great sea battle and it’s really something to see. In addition, it’s free.
    Few years ago the county tried to screw it up as the event had so many people they realized some were actually urinating on the ground, as animals have been doing for 100s of millions of years. Christians for over 6,000. Anyway, made him put in port-o-lets to keep all that nitrogen out of his and his neighbors’ soil. Almost shut it down, but will be happening again this year.
    One of the fun things to do is get in a boat in the middle of this pond and have the battle going on right over your heat with all the ashes dropping on your head in the boat.
    Anyway, if you want to see a lot of fireworks for free just follow the explosions in the sky Monday night out in Weeki Wachee on the River.

Sunday, 3 July 2016, 1:40 am
    • ERROR in my above post about the FREE BIG FIREWORKS in Weeki Wachee.
      It will be tonight, Sunday about dusk.
      Rogers park would be a great location to watch from if the streets are too packed around the event.

Sunday, 3 July 2016, 12:17 pm
  • I see in Toms comment no where is the county is putting any money to this .Businesses are putting up the money so the county should not get any thanks to this .But I can see the county will find away to make money on this so the county is charging money to park the care . My self we are going to Inverness to watch for free . To bad our county dose not recognize the 4 th of July . I say thank you to all the BUSINESSES THAT HAVE DONE THIS FOR THE PEOPLE. This why we need all new commissioners .

Sunday, 3 July 2016, 12:58 am
  • Inclusive needs to read Elaine’s reply concerning ” 10,000 ppl attended last year at $20 a person. That’s. $200,000.00. ” Violet would like to know also where the money was spent besides fireworks. Businesses also donated so county could charge a bit less maybe? joshua thomas please tell us all what or who mentioned ebt card??

Saturday, 2 July 2016, 11:34 pm
  • If you are going to pay to see fireworks, you are better off buying them from Pyro junkie in Tampa lol.

Saturday, 2 July 2016, 10:40 pm
  • Yes where did last years money go? And where are all the donations from the business owners going?

Saturday, 2 July 2016, 7:25 pm
  • Last year we parked on 41 .Backed in and sat in the back of the truck with lawn chairs and snacks.Saved some money.Then went to Dairy Queen for ice cream.

Saturday, 2 July 2016, 3:10 pm
  • Dont worry they take ebt cards.Was going but now yall are right ive never paid any where ive lived 8 states for fire works naaaa take my money to another COUNTY.EVERY ONE HAVE A GREAT LAST INDEPENDECE DAY IM SURE THE WORD INDEPENDECE WILL BE ILLEGAL NEXT YEAR.

Saturday, 2 July 2016, 11:07 am
    • it alredy elegel, josh

Saturday, 2 July 2016, 4:24 pm
  • Why so much complaining “GETMEOUTTARIPOFFLAND”? Either pay the cost to attend or don’t attend, it’s that simple. The county came up with a way to bring the fireworks back. As part of their plan to bring the fireworks back, everyone would have a shared cost. If the county’s plan is not to your liking I suggest you, along with your friends, put on a fireworks show and invite everyone over. One more thought, larger families and small families alike may not be able to attend this event. Not every event will be affordable to all.

Saturday, 2 July 2016, 10:57 am
  • To commisioner Nicholson/Mr. Klimas, thankyou for your efforts to bring back Fourth of July to Hernando county. I would love to see fireworks, but can’t afford $20. Last year 10,000 people attended , that would have been $200,000. Where does the money go besides fireworks purchasing??? Tom could you please inquire and let the publicin on this??

Saturday, 2 July 2016, 7:55 am
  • Correction of kaleidoscope spelling. Got stutter finger hit wrong letter.

Saturday, 2 July 2016, 12:30 am
  • I moved from Tampa to nature coast area (citrus/hernando counties) 20 plus yrs. ago. Bayshore Blvd. in Tampa was indeed free area for viewing fireworks as well as downtown near river (added benefit – glass buildings made kalaidoscope effect of fireworks !!). Also, City of Tampa & a radio station would work to coordinate music ( tune car /house radio) to go with fireworks. Yes my taxes HELPED pay for it but I feel it was less than what hernando county is charging for things not all people would enjoy.

Saturday, 2 July 2016, 12:21 am
  • Citrus County puts on an awesome FREE fireworks show……come on Hernando County- no wonder people go to other counties for fun.

Friday, 1 July 2016, 10:31 pm
  • Sounds great! There is the Freedom Fest on July 3rd at Masaryktown Community Center – Food Truck Rally/Car Show/Vendors/DJ – and KICK IT! (Bubble Soccer) – FREE ADMISSION & FREE PARKING. Event is 11-6

Friday, 1 July 2016, 9:58 pm
  • Im with you Roy i will take my family to Clearwater for fire works

Friday, 1 July 2016, 9:33 pm
  • Hey, Allen, what are folks with walkers, wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, etc s supposed to do???? Sprout wings & fly from Lowes??? And Vanessa, please learn the difference between there & their. Last I checked Tampa allowed Bayshore Blvd. to watch fireworks for free. You must want to BE SEEN at Channelside or whatever??

Friday, 1 July 2016, 8:54 pm
  • $10 parking REALLY what is turning into tampa? thats a bit high! $ i could maybe justify but come on people $10 i wont go! i’ll park at lowes for free!

Friday, 1 July 2016, 7:31 pm
  • Do you folks know FREE means NO CHARGE? I can see charging for food but parking ??? Entrance ??? If I just want to see fireworks & go home why should I pay for smashup, pony rides, and everyone else who wants to stay??????? SERIOUSLY.

Friday, 1 July 2016, 7:13 pm
  • Smoke n flame food truck will be there.. u don’t want to miss there food.. it’s amazing..

Friday, 1 July 2016, 6:52 pm
  • You had a good story till you mentioned the guy who lied to the FDLE, Nick.

Friday, 1 July 2016, 4:27 pm
  • Ok, a family of 4. 2 adults $20.00 2 children $10.00, parking $10.00, total $40.00, Way To Go Hernando County,

Friday, 1 July 2016, 3:22 pm
  • So glad to have this happening in our community again!!

Friday, 1 July 2016, 3:10 pm
  • I think it’s good the people are doing . But why can’t Hernando county put it on . Let’s see 2 parents 10.00 each is 20.00 if you have 2 kids 5.00 each is 10.00 . .Thens there’s parking 10.00 . Thanks there food and drinks let’s see another 30.00 or more . So there’s a good 70.00 . A lot of family,s can,t afford it . So what do they do. I have ask other county,s who pays for this they say they put it on . I really think it’s good the people dose this but I can also see the county helping with some of the money. They waste a lot more than they should .

Friday, 1 July 2016, 2:56 pm
  • Its About Time Hernando County plans something to Celebrate Our Independence Day!!!

Friday, 1 July 2016, 2:17 pm
  • I’m confused. Last year, for the first time in more than 15 years, county residents were able to celebrate the 4th of July with a free fireworks show and a smash em’ up derby. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for children, and $10 parking for each car. So it’s not a free event?

Friday, 1 July 2016, 2:03 pm
  • I hope they will have lots of Police on hand.

Friday, 1 July 2016, 1:45 pm