; ;

Kitchen Fire Leads to Aggravated Battery Charge for Spring Hill Man

SPRING HILL – Last Thursday, Fire Rescue responded to a residence on Omaha Circle, after reports of a residential fire at that location. When firefighters arrived on the scene, they discovered that the fire was contained to the kitchen, and was already out.

Officials at the scene contacted the State Fire Marshal to investigate, due to a language barrier. After a brief investigation, it was determined that the fire was completely accidental and that there were no sign of foul play.

The following evening, Sheriff’s Deputies responded to the residence, located at 8423 Omaha Circle, after a dispute over the fire ensued between homeowners, Carlos Castillo and Keith Barber, and the tenant, 37-year-old Gabriel Vargas Colon.

The confrontation turned physical, when Colon struck Castillo in the back of the head with an unknown object. Colon then turned his attention to Barber – biting him on the left tricep. When Barber and Castillo attempted to flee the residence, Colon grabbed two full bottles of Bud Light Beer and struck Barber in the back of the head. Barber sustained a laceration that required medical attention, however, the extent of his injuries are unknown.

Colon’s pregnant girlfriend, Juliana Cruz, attempted to break up the fight, but was injured in the process. She was transported to a local hospital for treatment.

Other witnesses at the scene also sustained minor injuries, in their attempts to separate Colon and the homeowners.

Colon was taken into custody and charged with Aggravated Battery with a Deadly Weapon and Battery.

Colon is currently free on $3,000 bond.

Colon

Comments
  • And just a good update if Tom came to the street all the neighbors were out when it was going on the cops just came and took him the owners should have been taking to jail to they are the ones who came to the house trying to start a fighting

Thursday, 17 March 2016, 6:44 am
  • Seriously? @Lemon Just read the comments and you will see exactly what im talking about.

Friday, 11 March 2016, 9:05 am
  • Bleed, well said!

Thursday, 10 March 2016, 8:03 pm
  • I agree on the issue….the bond should have been more no matter what color or race you are. A crime is a crime regardless! That’s the problem with spring hill, this guy gets a $3000bond for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and a guy who rummaged through a guys garage without stealing anything goes in with a $10000 bond. That right thete, doesn’t make sense.

Thursday, 10 March 2016, 11:37 am
  • Say what…If you took offense to the post that’s on you…I didn’t label you a racist…I was directing my comments to wake up and concerned neighbor who are the ones who started the racial conversation. Just like you stated your opinion on the trump issue so did I. You’re the one getting all vent out of shape when I wasn’t even talking to you! Have a wonderful day as well!

Thursday, 10 March 2016, 11:34 am
  • Well p Puerto Rican like I said, Trump didn’t do the crime==Colon did, get it?? I have friends who are Puerto Rican as well as a Hispanic best friend, so don’t label me as a racist. I never said I was voting for Trump that’s my business, not yours but it SURE won’t be Rubio!! This article wasn’t about drugs, pedophiles etc, about a human being beating and biting someone. Get over yourself and get glad in the same pants you got pissed in. Idk, perhaps you are the racist one, ya think?? Have a nice day and don’t worry be happy?

Thursday, 10 March 2016, 11:08 am
  • Green cards??? I’m sorry was the fact that he has a Spanish last name automatically mean he needs a green card or needs to be deported??? Wtf is wrong with you people. I’m sorry but it is not the Hispanics running all the meth labs in Spring hill??? Have you looked at the sexual predator listings…again mostly white folk!!! Think before you speak prick. They wanna talk about deportation..I’m sure a Mexican was the one that built your home and picked the lettuce, strawberries, oranges, and watermelon you enjoy with your family all while they worked in the hot sun just to feed their family. And yes I agree Trump was a great topic to bring up cause that’s the ***hole, ***holes like you support!!!

Thursday, 10 March 2016, 4:38 am
  • I only saw one (1) person say something about a green card. Please don’t put all white individuals or as you imply (folks) in the same category as the one person that made that statement. Sorry for their ignorance. But we are not all the same. I’m sure I speak for many people. We all bleed the same. Its what I teach my children and who I am. Don’t take it as racist, instead just realize those people are just ignorant as hell. Trust me I think it’s ridiculous that it’s a battle that seems will never end when it comes to racial remarks. We can’t help stupid or ignorant ppl. Individuals of all color do crimes. I feel sorry if they have children they are raising. Because the children learn it from home. It’s a cycle that should be stopped and resolved already.
    On another note really only 3,000 bond. I swear this is the reason why we have so much violence and drugs and crime here. Bc the criminal justice system is failing us and letting people get away with practical anything. So $300 bucks and he is out and will recieve no real time and no payment.
    It’s ridiculous.

Thursday, 10 March 2016, 2:38 am
  • racists mf…smh. that’s y i can’t stand u white folks always thinking about a f****** green card..pos

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 10:19 pm
  • Jerry Springerhill….when’s the next episode???…

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 12:58 pm
  • Maybe the home owner was pissed off about the fire, and wouldn’t leave the residence?
    I think, There’s alot more to this than meets the eye.. after reading comments this happened in front of a 3 yr old? It’s not the cops fault this violent altercation took place, wasn’t the cops fault this was done with a child present
    SMH

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 12:46 pm
  • I’m glad he is out he is a very nice neighbor to have the only thing I did not like about that whole situation was the cop did not have the courtesy to ask him to step behind the vehicle or to have his three-year-old daughter go back inside while they arrested him I thought it was pretty f***** up to arrest a dad in front of a three-year-old daughter

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 12:06 pm
  • OMG, you hit someone with beer bottles, bite one ( sissy) and it turns into a Trump thing, Trump didn’t do this battle!.Why does a crime turn into a post about politics? Please stick to topic Have a great day Colon obviously ran out of bottles of beer, therefore turned to biting, Nasty, hope victim got tetanus shot. Too bad Judge the k9 wasn’t there and he could have taken a bite out of crime and idk where he is from. Smdh

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 12:02 pm
  • If you gonna hit him in the head with bottles fill with concrete first he’ll beat you to death with bare hands or lead. Have great day everyone may you not get bitten.

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 7:30 am
  • name is appropriate

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 5:01 am
  • Dont these comments have to be approved? Good job RNRF you and all u other ignorant ******* are pretty racist, these people are puerto ricans, no green card required. I can see Hernando county has alot of support for trump smh

Wednesday, 9 March 2016, 12:53 am
  • Wow! What a bunch of racist POS’s we have in Spring Hill.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 11:25 pm
  • Press one for English! Two for deportation! Three for just being FN Maricon!

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 9:42 pm
  • Do you expect anything else from Omaha Circle.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 9:18 pm
  • Colon,he sounds like a real a$$hole

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 8:51 pm
  • Nice, Real Nice People living here in Spring Hill

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 8:36 pm
  • Meth lab fire in the kitchen?

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 8:24 pm
  • It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood…
    drinking, brawling, biting and throw in the fire and the baby’s Mama for good measure.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 7:46 pm
  • Only $3,000 bond for assault and battery with a deadly weapon? These bonds are way too low for the crimes commited, no wonder it is a revolving door.

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 7:11 pm
  • Pos

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 7:02 pm
  • What a low life typical for this area now though

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 6:32 pm
  • Somebody should’ve cracked Colon over the head with those beer bottles. Problem solved!

Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 5:59 pm