Knife-Wielding Man Threatens Deputies, Suicide-by-Cop During Standoff

SPRING HILL – A man threatening “suicide by cop” is in custody this afternoon, after a tense standoff with Sheriff’s Deputies at a residence on Swan Lane.

Deputies responded to the residence around 2:00 p.m. today, after sources say a man refused to leave the residence. When Deputies attempted to make contact with the subject, he threatened them with a knife and made statements of wanting to commit “suicide by cop.”

Several Deputies armed themselves with various weapons, including less-than-lethal, and began attempts to negotiate the subject’s surrender.

After confirming that the distraught man had no access to firearms, Deputies broke windows to the residence to gained entry.

The man was taken into custody without further incident and turned over to Fire Rescue personnel for evaluation.

It is not known at this time if the man will face charges.

None of the Deputies were injured during the standoff.

Comments
  • Yes the first thing I noticed when I zoomed in on the picture was that cop is giving you one damn dirty ass look Tom he does not look like a happy camper, also as I commented similarly on another recent story this is overkill most offices are good people there are some bad ones just like there’s good and bad people everywhere but I got blasted the last time I said this and I’m going to say it again that is overkill Overkill cops and weapons all over the freakin place for one guy come on, not to mention the mass overuse of misuse of 911 that itself falls on dumb citizens not the officers

Friday, 1 June 2018, 12:49 pm
  • Hcso on the most part, is a joke. I got pulled over on my motorcycle for flicking ashes off my cigarette, and while the officer runs my info, 3 more show up. He accused me off throwing my cigarette on the ground, and I pull 3 butts from my shirt pocket and explain that was not something I would do.

A coworker was pulled over for doing 5mph over the speed limit, and since his driver window doesn’t work, the officer pulls his gun and aims at him, screaming at him to roll the window down. Meanwhile, the officer on the other side of the car, is screaming at him to keep his hands on the wheel.

I thought New Port Richey cops were bad, until I moved here. This is definitely a county of “where’s a cop when u need one?” It’s because you have 20 officers responding to one distraught man with a knife, and I bet the rest were on their way or off duty.

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 6:23 pm
  • So disappointed by the lack of quality comments, so much hate. Regardless of the facts glad to see a situation end without loss of life.

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 12:16 pm
  • Just shoot him then say oh he had a gun so i was in fear for my life ! Seems to work most times with these Leo’s

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 9:37 am
    • Jason, Tom will not allow me to use certain words on here to express what I want to say you, but rest assured, it was not good.

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 11:04 am
  • Omg…after reading the comments about the officer not being too happy I returned to the pictures and looked it was easy to figure out who everyone was talking about! How funny he totally looks like a brown noser what a loser. He looks like such a miserable human being. In fact he looks like the cop who would definitely abuses Authority.

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 2:29 am
  • Overkill again. This is the norm with HCSO. This is a huge waste of taxpayers money. Each deputy had a car, so add that wasted gas into it too. Now we know why our crime is out of control here. One call and half the damn department response.

Wednesday, 30 May 2018, 11:23 pm
    • In the county where I worked we only had 14 road officers, bigger area, about the same population. Couldn’t get more than two cops on any scene.

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 1:55 am
    • Yes HCSO should contact Janice,she knows everything.

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 6:35 am
    • so many experts on here that should sign up if they can do better

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 6:40 am
  • Good Lord, thank goodness it was only one man. Imagine if there had been two or three more Including hostages. The whole damn force would have been there. way to go Sheriff Nut Job.

Wednesday, 30 May 2018, 8:34 pm
    • Do you even know what occurred!? There was a distraught person, that never harmed anyone nor did he threaten anyone, he was in a bad way. Could have been a reaction yo new medication, or lost a child. I hope you never experience any extreme emotional distress and suffer judgement from the socially challenged minds comparable to uneducated ignorant lynch mobs of the dark ages.That would be horrible

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 5:33 am
    • Stooge.

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 6:36 am
  • i saw you there tom, hope you get sone foootage of the incident up on the site.

Wednesday, 30 May 2018, 5:01 pm
    • Sounds like makes brown-nosing Tom LOL how funny.

Thursday, 31 May 2018, 2:30 am
  • That one cop doesn’t look too happy with RNRF taking his picture! Nothing like a little 10 on 1 action to help get through hump day.

Wednesday, 30 May 2018, 4:55 pm
    • He never does and he sucks as a cop. A huge brown noser.

Wednesday, 30 May 2018, 11:25 pm